Averagemons

MAMP

MAMP!
Viability Rankings have been added to the OP! I know they look kinda ugly atm, I'll work on prettying them up later, I just wanted to get them up now to start discussion. The rankings are a community driven project, so feel free to suggest changes in this thread. Are there any Pokemon that you feel are in the wrong rank? Anything you feel should be ranked that currently isn't?

S/o to Peef Rimgar, Pagoose, Kl4ng, unfixable, The Reptile, Kit Kasai and probably some other ppl im forgetting who helped with these

I'm surprised xerneas isn't higher, maybe it could get walled a little easier with a decent spdef mon, especially with unaware, but I can just imagine this thing setting up on almost any pokemon with a Power Herb Geomancy and proceeding to drop heavy hits, especially with 1.3x boost to Moonblast

My thoughts on the S- and A-ranks:
S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are the pinnacle of the Averagemons metagame. These Pokemon are able to perform a variety of roles very effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits. These Pokemon define the metagame.

Clefable Yup
Nidoking/Nidoqueen Yup
Primal Groudon idk about this one...I haven't seen it a ton, and when I have it's been ok to handle. Maybe down to A+?

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the Averagemons metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits. These Pokemon exert a strong presence in the metagame.

A+ Rank:
Chatot Fuck this thing, but yup
Kecleon Idk, maybe S bc it's like a Nido that can set up and pull defensive Protean shenanigans in exchange for a little power and LO recoil
Sableye-Mega Yup
Skrelp Yup
Swoobat Yup
Talonflame Yup

A Rank:
Crawdaunt I'd go A+, this thing is hard to deal with thanks to KOff
Dragalge I would drop it to A-, it vs. Skrelp is highly dependent on teambuilding but in general I would take Scald over DM any day with all of the powerful setup sweepers running around
Exploud Yup
Foongus/Amoonguss Yup
Gliscor Yup
Greninja I guess
Serperior Up to A+ imo, this thing is the epitome of a cleaner (and kills Wooper due to typing). Dies to Talonflame but w/e.
Wooper Sure

A- Rank:
Corsola I'd go A bc Regen+Scald+SR+Recovery=awesome
Klefki I haven't seen this used all that much...I guess it still has its priority Spikes, but lack of recovery hurts. No opinion.
Kyogre Sure
Salamence-Mega Intimidate+Aerilate is sick, and you have the movepool to do all sorts of things effectively. A.
Xerneas I guess, although the oongusses rape you (still kills AV Mienshao, which is imo the 2nd best regenvester after the aforementioned shrooms)
Zigzagoon/Linoone I guess, although the prevalence of Clefable hurts a lot. Nonetheless, Extremespeed is fantastic utility priority even when not boosted.

tl;dr:
Groudon-Primal to A+
Keckleon maybe to S
Crawdaunt to A+
Dragalge to A-
Serperior to A+
Corsola to A
Salamence-Mega to A

I'll do the Bs in a bit.

[EDIT]: Rrrrround two *ding ding*
B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the Averagemons metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential. These Pokemon exert an above average presence in the metagame.

B+ Rank:
Arceus-Normal Might put it at A- bc of its crazy unpredictability
Arceus-Rock Yup
Blaziken Speed Boost+typing and movepool is too good for B+. Sweeping is obvious, but Protect also lets you RK anything that hasn't boosted speed, which is huge. A-.
Gardevoir Yup
Gyarados-Mega Yup
Jirachi Tons of utility, decent typing, Serene Grace is Serene Grace. I prefer this to Klefki any day, honestly, although I can see the merit of Klefki on HO. Same rank as Klefki.
Mawile Haven't really seen this in action.
Rayquaza-Mega Yup
Skarmory Yup
Slowking Yup
Swirlix/Slurpuff A-, if not A. How the hell is this B+.
Tauros Yup
Victini Yup

B Rank:
Alomomola Haven't seen it but sure.
Altaria-Mega Pixilate is pretty great, typing is pretty great, movepool is decent enough. B+
Audino Haven't seen it but sure.
Breloom PH is unique and it has the tools it needs to be annoying, but it just isn't that threatening. B is good.
Excadrill Haven't seen it but yup.
Gorebyss Smashpass is dangerous AF, especially when you can pressure without passing as well. B+
Ho-oh Sacred Fire+Regenerator is great, but (as always) SR weakness sucks. B is good.
Huntail See Gorebyss, the two are pretty similar. I haven't really analyzed their respective merits, but if one clearly outclasses the other that should be accounted for.
Lucario-Mega Adaptability+good movepool=stronk. B+
Masquerain Inheritance taught us that Masquerain can be amazing w/o its typing, but unfortunately it has that typing, and that typing sucks. B-
Ninetales Haven't seen it but sure.
Pawniard/Bisharp Yup.
Porygon-Z Outclassed by Chatot+Exploud. I really don't see what this thing's niche is. B-
Primal Kyogre Haven't seen it but sure.
Solrock Good typing+ability and decent movepool. Provides unique support. B+
Staryu Amazing bulky water that spins and does stuff. B+, maybe even A-.
Thundurus Haven't seen it but sure.
Tornadus-Therian Haven't seen it but sure.
Yveltal Dark Aura Knock Off+Sucker Punch are powerful, and Oblivion Wing is cool. Outclassed by Crawdaunt in offensive roles, though, and defensive roles are hurt by SR weakness. B seems good.

B- Rank:
Aerodactyl Haven't seen it but sure.
Banette-Mega Prankster DBond is nice, I guess. B- seems good.
Darkrai Dark Void is cool, as we all know, but the real kick is that it has SD+NP+mixed coverage, so it boasts unpredictability offensively as well. B
Ditto Loads of setup sweepers are nice for it, but since Ditto is hella weird to rank we can leave it here.
Furfrou Idgaf if it lacks reliable recovery, this thing is literally the most physically bulky wall in the metagame and it can use Restalk. A staple on stall which merits at least B+.
Genesect Espeed+Explosion+U-turn+Download is nice for fast Volt-turn teams, and Shift Gear lets you capitalize on an physical Download boost to clean up. B
Gyarados Haven't seen it but sure.
Heatran Sure.
Hippopotas/Hippowdon Haven't seen it but sure.
Kabutops Haven't seen it but sure.
Kingdra Critdra is deadly, albiet tricky to set up. B, maybe even B+
Malamar Haven't seen it but sure.
Manaphy Haven't seen it but Tail Glow seems, from a theoretical perspective, to be super strong. Again, though, I haven't seen it, so I lack a practical opinion.
Mew Haven't seen it but sure.
Mienshao Great Regenvest pivot with limited but satisfactory movepool options. B+, maybe even A- but I'm personally biased in that I really really like it lol
Numel Underwhelming from experience, as Scalds are everywhere, but nonetheless threatening. B- is ok.
Shaymin-Sky Haven't seen it but sure.
Shuckle Interesting movepool which works in conjunction with Sturdy. I'd put it at B.
Surskit Sure.
Sylveon Haven't really seen it, but an ability like Pixilate seems misplaced this low. Maybe B?
Volbeat TGPass is scary af going into ScarfOgre or something similar. B, maybe even B+ if Gorebyss/Huntail go up there too.

tl;dr:
Arceus-Normal to A-
Blaziken to A-
Jirachi to wherever Klefki ends up
Swirlix/Slurpuff to A-/A
Altaria-Mega to B+
Gorebyss to B+
Huntail to B+
Lucario-Mega to B+
Masquerain to B-
Porygon-Z to B-
Solrock to B+
Staryu to B+/A-
Darkrai to B
Furfrou to B+
Genesect to B
Kingdra to B/B+
Mienshao to B+/A-
Shuckle to B
Sylveon to B
Volbeat to B/B+

Last edited:
A Rank:
Dragalge I would drop it to A-, it vs. Skrelp is highly dependent on teambuilding but in general I would take Scald over DM any day with all of the powerful setup sweepers running around
I totally agree here, Water/Poison has better Type Coverage while Dragon/Poison is completely walled by any Steel type and I guess... Draco meteor is slightly more powerfull and has a bit more accuracy, but that SpA drop just loses you some much momentum and this gives the opponent an easy time setting up, as you said.

Well, I'm talking about Skrelp now, so I might just drop my "lure" on here:

Skrelp @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe or 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Waterfall
- Gunk Shot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Most people expect most Skrelps to be Special right? Well, this sets lures out Specially defensive walls before hitting them very hard from the Physical side. Waterfall and Gunk Shot are both Adapt-Boosted STAB while Thunderbolt and Hidden Power [Grass] are just coverage. In most cases, you are not going to use those 2 last moveslots, so you can just slap on there what you want. Hidden Power [Grass] hits Wooper pretty hard tho. In battle, I see myself missing a lot of Gunk Shots, but that's probably just my bad luck (Seriously tho, 80% always feels like 50%).

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Mew Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 360-424 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I feel like Mawile should be higher maybe A- because good typing Sheer Force+Life Orb Play Rough and Iron Head get great coverage. Can run a taunt set and has okay coverage options between T-Punch, Fire Fang, and Rock Slide.
Besides having one of the best match-ups vs Fable and Puff it's pretty solid all around.

Also I didn't see Aurorus anywhere. Maybe I just overlooked it, but banded refig frustration-whew. Hurts a lot.

Last edited:
Aurorus has some interesting movepool options, but its typing is hilariously awful defensively. It just has such an awful time switching in; I'd go C/C+ on it probably.

MAMP

MAMP!
The council has had a vote, and Chatter is now banned. Chatot is already a frightening Pokemon to face, and Chatter pushes it over the edge, allowing it to break past its few counters through confusion hax. Games involving Chatter are often decided by confusion rolls, and it was decided that this is not only uncompetitive, but just simply not fun.

The Immortal, Eevee General

Aurorus has been added to the viability rankings at C+; its refridgerate boosted attacks are powerful, but its typing is really horrendous and its difficult to fit onto a team.

A point for discussion: with Chatter banned, where should Chatot be placed on the viability rankings?

The council has had a vote, and Chatter is now banned. Chatot is already a frightening Pokemon to face, and Chatter pushes it over the edge, allowing it to break past its few counters through confusion hax. Games involving Chatter are often decided by confusion rolls, and it was decided that this is not only uncompetitive, but just simply not fun.
Very happy to see this. ;)

A point for discussion: with Chatter banned, where should Chatot be placed on the viability rankings?
Well, it's still the only pokemon to get Boomburst AND Nasty Plot, but without Chatter it will have a harder time to set-up. I guess it could be placed somewhere in B(+/-). I don't consider it as good as Exploud, which lacks Nasty plot, but already hits hard with Specs, doesn't care about Ghosts (Scrappy) and has a better typing.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life

The Immortal, Eevee General

Aurorus has been added to the viability rankings at C+; its refridgerate boosted attacks are powerful, but its typing is really horrendous and its difficult to fit onto a team.

C+ is very fair. I just think it would be a shame to leave such a powerful wall breaker off the viability rankings. With a Jolly nature, max speed+attack, and a choice band this thing can 2HKO everything that doesn't resist. It does have a terrible typing defensively but it is an offensive powerhouse. I run EQ, Stone Miss, Iron Head, and Frustration. Between stone miss and frustration the coverage is Almost perfect. I rarely click Eq and never click Iron Head, it's just filler.

Chatot is still good without chatter just makes going up against it more fair. About ranking it, I think B is just fine for it. Maybe higher but it really needs specs or a NP boost to actually wall break effectively IMO.

If you're running Iron Head just for filler on physical Aurorus, why not give it Facade instead? That way it isn't crippled by burn, and if the enemy sets Toxic Spikes you have a much more powerful STAB to spam:

252 Atk Choice Band Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 372-438 (109 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Refrigerate Aurorus Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 271-321 (79.4 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

252 Atk Choice Band Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 267-315 (66 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Refrigerate Aurorus Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 195-231 (48.2 - 57.1%) -- 42.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ok so I don't know if anyone uses this, but I've been thinking of ways to break stall better, and this came to mind (it works pretty nicely in practice too):

rofl nice stall (Sigilyph) @ Mind Plate
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe (not revealing my speed creep lol)
Modest Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Roost
- Future Sight
- Ancient Power
- Dazzling Gleam

The moveset is terrible since I have no clue what the averagemons meta is like, but I figured ancient Power would be nice to bop Ho-oh and dazzling gleam hits mega sab better. Anyways, you probably won't click anything besides Future sight and maybe roost. People seem to forget Sigilyph gets Tinted Lens, and most of the time will end up taunting you first turn, giving you a free future sight. You could even run specs if you want more power.
It's really a mindless set, you just use future sight and switch into something like exploud or sylveon and kill something. I don't have any replays of this, but this + Sylveon did beat a stall team at 1400, so maybe that's something?

Thine Bidoof/Bibarel lead utility

Bidoof/Bibarel @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Return / Waterfall

Bibarel/Bidoof is a nice defensive mon because of it's utility moves and unaware ability. It can shut down xerneas for example. Bidoof is there if you don't want the weaknesses to grass and electric which is especially useful to beat serperior. You could use a rest-talk set if you really want recovery. You may think that clefable does the same but better; though clefable is extemely common so people prepare thoroughly for it, and taunt stops the opponent toxicing you, recovering their hp or boosting so much that if they do manage to take you out they cant be revenge killed by a teammate.

Last edited:
Galvantula needs ranking, its the most powerful electric type in the meta since it can use Thunder reliably, has a nice secondary STAB in bug buzz and utility in webs. Its defensive typing is also nb, being neutral to flying unlike most bugs and neutral to ground unlike most electrics.

Also Hitmonlee is a gr8 offensive spinner with tons of power in reckless HJK, and can use foresight for guaranteed spinning or to donk mega sableye. It also has priority in mach punch but I find in such a bulky meta standard priority isn't much use.

Idk of this is any good, but here's something I came up w/ just because I wanted to used the derpiest Pokemon ever.

Delibird @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Aerial Ace
- Facade
- Ice Punch

Absolute trash mon w/ the one of the most high-risk/high-reward abilities ever. It however, unlike most, gets a perfect acc move to spam as it pleases. It's aerial ace has 135 BP, and it's ice punch has 187.5, at the cost of accuracy. This is w/o stab. It dies to rocks, but it's worth it for the lawlz

And you can replace facade with a coverage like seed bomb or brick break
Yeah, I considered that actually, and it's definitely not an inferior option, I just liked facades ability to turn a mistake into a kill. Admittedly, it's definitely redundant coverage, but w/ hustle + CB, it comes out to a 315 BP move. Actually, I think ice punch might be pretty easy to swap out, depending on the calcs and how much aerial ace deals.

Primal groudon has amazing defensive and offensive ability coupled with amazing support and offensive movepool. It fits on all team archetypes and is a threat to most pokemon with no clear cut walls. S is fine

Combusken @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up/Swords Dance
- Protect/Substitute
- Flare Blitz
- Baton Pass
Combusken for B- rank: One of the best Baton Passer in this tier.

Spinda @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Double-Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Spinda for B- rank: Better typing and move set than Malamar. Too bad this rest talk set gets walled by ghost type.

Shroomish @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Toxic/Giga Drain
- Protect/Substitute
Shroomish for B rank: Can stall pretty well with Toxic Heal and Leech Seed, and without a 4x weakness unlike Breloom.

Is there any difference between Combusken and Blaziken?
252+ Atk Life Orb Celebi Low Kick (40 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Combusken: 78-94 (22.8 - 27.5%) -- 57% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Celebi Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Blaziken: 156-185 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO

Half damage from Low Kick, I guess.

252+ Atk Life Orb Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Combusken: 148-174 (43.4 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Blaziken: 148-174 (43.4 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

Same damage output from the most powerful Heavy Slams.

Thine Bidoof/Bibarel lead utility

Bidoof/Bibarel @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Return / Waterfall

Bibarel/Bidoof is a nice defensive mon because of it's utility moves and unaware ability. It can shut down xerneas for example. Bidoof is there if you don't want the weaknesses to grass and electric which is especially useful to beat serperior. You could use a rest-talk set if you really want recovery. You may think that clefable does the same but better; though clefable is extemely common so people prepare thoroughly for it, and taunt stops the opponent toxicing you, recovering their hp or boosting so much that if they do manage to take you out they cant be revenge killed by a teammate.
Is there any reason not to use Bidoof over Bibarel? The only difference I see is that it has less weaknesses, which is always good. I guess you could use Bibarel if you wanted the Water STAB, but other than that I think Bidoof is the best way to go (defensively).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)