Ask a simple question - get a simple answer: PU edition

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Could a more offensive Audino set be used? Sort of like offensive lure MegaDino in NU, but with a Life Orb instead of the Mega Stone. I think it would be nice as Regenerator can heal up most of the LO damage taken, my only problem would be the competition it faces from other Normal-types and the lack of bulk.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Could a more offensive Audino set be used? Sort of like offensive lure MegaDino in NU, but with a Life Orb instead of the Mega Stone. I think it would be nice as Regenerator can heal up most of the LO damage taken, my only problem would be the competition it faces from other Normal-types and the lack of bulk.
Yes, as I also already said in the previous post, Audino can also run tank-ish offensive sets that can take advantage of Healing Wish and decent coverage to lure common stops such as Panwiard / provide further utility with Knock Off. galbia posted a nice offensive Audino set in the next big thing. check it out here

I thought that Lickilicky's immunity to Taunt and access to stuff like Body Slam and Dragon Tale would help it maintain a niche over Audino as a cleric, but I guess that's not the case?

I thought that Lickilicky's immunity to Taunt and access to stuff like Body Slam and Dragon Tale would help it maintain a niche over Audino as a cleric, but I guess that's not the case?
Those are minor niches that Lickilicky has over Audino, but Regenerator is just much more important overall and makes Audino the better cleric (plus Audino gets T-Wave and Encore while Lickilicky doesn't)

Are there any significant Ohkos that ninjask misses out on with insect plate vs choice band? Damage calc doesnt work on my phone so i have no way to check effectively.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are there any significant Ohkos that ninjask misses out on with insect plate vs choice band? Damage calc doesnt work on my phone so i have no way to check effectively.
I don't know about specific KOs but I'd imagine there definitely are. Just look at the damage differential
252 Atk Insect Plate Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 146-174 (43.7 - 52%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 182-216 (54.4 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That's 12% extra easy. Here's the very first thing I calc'd to test which is also relevant here
252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Floatzel: 246-291 (78.8 - 93.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Insect Plate Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Floatzel: 198-234 (63.4 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I don't know about specific KOs but I'd imagine there definitely are. Just look at the damage differential
252 Atk Insect Plate Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 146-174 (43.7 - 52%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 182-216 (54.4 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That's 12% extra easy. Here's the very first thing I calc'd to test which is also relevant here
252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Floatzel: 246-291 (78.8 - 93.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Insect Plate Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Floatzel: 198-234 (63.4 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Ty looks like band it is

Is bronzor used in this tier? eviolite boost his defenses pretty high and he can be a nice special or def wall in this tier. Whats his best set? i know he cant learn some moves bronzong does.

Sadly he doesn't have any niche that other Steel types in the tier have. It needs it hold its Eviolite to have any kind of bulk, and even then other Steel types just have more uses such as Probopass who can trap other Steel types, still has really good bulk, rocks, and can offer teams momentum via Volt Switch. Bronzor really doesn't have a whole lot going for it in PU sadly

EDIT: We also have Metang ho shares the exact same typing who basically does the exact same job Bronzor does but better due to having more offensive presence.

Last edited:
How viable is mantyke? With evo it has similar bulk to poli and water absorb or is poli just better because of leftys+rest talk and not worrying about knock off?

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How viable is mantyke? With evo it has similar bulk to poli and water absorb or is poli just better because of leftys+rest talk and not worrying about knock off?
Mantyke is pretty much unviable, as you said it has a lot of competition from politoed (and even chinchou) and is knock off weak, combining this with its stealth rock weakness means its easily warn down meaning its constantly forced to Rest. Its Grass neutrality doesn't make up for its rock weakness, meaning the only benefit it has is slightly more bulk, which imo isn't work the passivity (Politoed has more power and access to encore), as the extra bulk isn't too crucial for what it aims to wall.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
I'm genuinely curious, why is Baton Pass slashed as an option on Mr. Mime's Choice Scarf set? If he's going to be moving first by virtue of being scarfed, then why not just manually switch out? Unless there's something I'm missing, it just seems like a waste of a slot than can be used for better coverage.

I'm genuinely curious, why is Baton Pass slashed as an option on Mr. Mime's Choice Scarf set? If he's going to be moving first by virtue of being scarfed, then why not just manually switch out? Unless there's something I'm missing, it just seems like a waste of a slot than can be used for better coverage.
By clicking Baton Pass you move after an opponent if they switch. This allows you to see what they switched into and respond with the appropriate mon.

Even if they don't switch you can try to deduct what they clicked and have a better response than just guessing whether or not they'll actually switch.

This is a question that I have discussed with Tesla on his stream, but I wanted another opinion since we don't agree with each other. On the smogon strategic pokedex section for PU, it says nothing about the part of the baton pass clause that states you can't pass speed and another boost. Tesla says that because that part of the clause is in OU, it goes all the way down through the rest of the tiers and just hasn't been put in the PU section yet as it's still relatively new. I just wanted another opinion because I can see what Tesla is saying, but it's been a while since the PU tier has become official and I feel like it would have been updated by now if that was the case.

This is a question that I have discussed with Tesla on his stream, but I wanted another opinion since we don't agree with each other. On the smogon strategic pokedex section for PU, it says nothing about the part of the baton pass clause that states you can't pass speed and another boost. Tesla says that because that part of the clause is in OU, it goes all the way down through the rest of the tiers and just hasn't been put in the PU section yet as it's still relatively new. I just wanted another opinion because I can see what Tesla is saying, but it's been a while since the PU tier has become official and I feel like it would have been updated by now if that was the case.
You can't pass speed and another stat in pu, just try in team builder and itll reject it[sword dance+ salac berry]

You technically can, but it has to be something like weakness policy + speed boost or a very lucky acupressure spammer with baton pass. Or like ancient power + baton pass, I guess. Most conventional forms of passing speed and another stat are banned though.

And, yes any ban in a higher tier affects PU too, which is why gothitelle is not the supreme overlord of PU.

Which tier are the following truly in?
  • Duosion
  • Dusclops
  • Fraxure
  • Qualladin
  • Servine
  • Vibrava
  • Wartortle
  • Zwelious
This page lists them as PU, but the teambuilder lists them as NFE.

Which tier are the following truly in?
  • Duosion
  • Dusclops
  • Fraxure
  • Qualladin
  • Servine
  • Vibrava
  • Wartortle
  • Zwelious
This page lists them as PU, but the teambuilder lists them as NFE.
"NFE" isn't a tier, I'm assuming this discrepancy is just because they have PU analyses but don't have more than 3.41% usage in PU

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)