Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Both the weather abilities Drought and Drizzle are banned on mons under the OU tier (not including in OU, where they are allowed), meaning ninetales isn't able to use it in NU; this is because they were deemed too overbearing for these tiers to handle. As a nasty plot user, it has an alright niche, but compared to the other fire types in our tier (Pyroar, Charizard, Magmortar, etc.) it has a hard time actually standing out.

Hi everybody ! Im new to the tier !. So to the point , while im bad at the game i was watching the tier list and stumbled upon shiftry being an aceptable mon here, so i thougth hey what about buildin an HO team with shiftry and ninetails as a sun setter then i saw that ninetails is barely C tier and that the smogon dex builds it with flash fire instead.
So my question is ninetails that bad as a sun setter ? And how about a sub+nasty plot set?.
PS:sorry for not an simple question XD
Drought (and Drizzle) is banned from NU, therefore you can't use Ninetales with it ; only with Flash Fire. It does a decent job at using Nasty Plot + 3 attacks with Flash Fire.
Regarding sun setters, you can use Regirock / Liepard / Mesprit, which are the most common ones, alongside other sun abusers (such as Victreebel, Exeggutor and Charizard).
You can find most set on the NU analyses.

Both the weather abilities Drought and Drizzle are banned on mons under the OU tier (not including in OU, where they are allowed), meaning ninetales isn't able to use it in NU; this is because they were deemed too overbearing for these tiers to handle. As a nasty plot user, it has an alright niche, but compared to the other fire types in our tier (Pyroar, Charizard, Magmortar, etc.) it has a hard time actually standing out.
Umh yeah only as a NP user she falls back notably but since she could set sun... but she cant so it doestn matter

Drought (and Drizzle) is banned from NU, therefore you can't use Ninetales with it ; only with Flash Fire. It does a decent job at using Nasty Plot + 3 attacks with Flash Fire.
Regarding sun setters, you can use Regirock / Liepard / Mesprit, which are the most common ones, alongside other sun abusers (such as Victreebel, Exeggutor and Charizard).
You can find most set on the NU analyses.
i may use mesprit as a lead tho seeing he can set rock up doesnt he?

Hey guys, been a while since i played NU . Wasnt there when Trev and Gurdurr dropped( Heard Gurd is broken rn). How are they affecting the meta right now?? Thanks in advance
Trevenant isn't really common and is average. Its niche mostly is the Choice Band set but it still isn't really used; it's also totally outclassed by Gourgeist on the Defensive side so its only way to shine is the aforementioned set.
Gurdurr is a good Fighting-type Pokemon, but it isn't broken because of its many common checks such as Scyther, Mesprit, and Xatu, although it's still a pretty common and dangerous threat, that can softly checks threats such as Choice Band Aggron, alongside being a good win condition, able to switch into status (mainly Will-O-Wisp), thanks to its ability Guts. You can find the most common Gurdurr set here.
Overall, their drops did not really change the metagame and it's pretty much balanced right now. Gurdurr made Specs Mesprit a bit more popular but it already was a common set before.

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Is sticky web a viable playstyle? (Smeargle lead). If so, what works well with sticky web?
Yes, although it's not the best and most reliable playstyle in the tier. Any team with Sticky Web should always have a Spinblocker (Rotom, Mismagius) and some Pokemon that can abuse the speed drop from opposing Pokemon. strong wallbreakers like Abomasnow and Samurott come to mind as pokes that work well under webs. when playing webs you should constantly pressure the opposing teams' spinner/defogger to give them the least opportunities to get rid of them as possible. also, keep in mind that you still need a fast pokemon on your team since sticky web won't always be on the field and levitating pokemon like Scyther and Rotom still give troubles due to their crazy speed.

Sticky web is definitely a viable playstyle, only concern is how common Xatu is. A way to get around that is to run skill swap Smeargle or run some pokemon on your team such as Servine or Pawniard that dont care so much if your sticky web is bounced back by Xatu. Good partners are spinblockers like Mismagius, Rotom, Dusknoir or pokemon that can abuse the sticky web like Magmortar, Abomasnow, Samurott etc

e: f shadestep for sniping

Yes, although it's not the best and most reliable playstyle in the tier. Any team with Sticky Web should always have a Spinblocker (Rotom, Mismagius) and some Pokemon that can abuse the speed drop from opposing Pokemon. strong wallbreakers like Abomasnow and Samurott come to mind as pokes that work well under webs. when playing webs you should constantly pressure the opposing teams' spinner/defogger to give them the least opportunities to get rid of them as possible. also, keep in mind that you still need a fast pokemon on your team since sticky web won't always be on the field and levitating pokemon like Scyther and Rotom still give troubles due to their crazy speed.
Would Rhydon and Jynx work well in a sticky web team? Both of these have SE STAB against Xatu and can be wallbreakers. Rhydon also checks Scyther. This is the sample: smeargle, rhydon, pawniard, samurott, rotom (with scarf) and Abomasnow. Jynx could replace Abomasnow.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Would Rhydon and Jynx work well in a sticky web team? Both of these have SE STAB against Xatu and can be wallbreakers. Rhydon also checks Scyther. This is the sample: smeargle, rhydon, pawniard, samurott, rotom (with scarf) and Abomasnow. Jynx could replace Abomasnow.
Both Pokemon could certainly work very well on Webs for the reasons you stated. Jynx has an especially nice Speed tier and movepool to take advantage of Webs with, while Rhydon works as a sturdy bird check that can act as both a holepuncher and an alternate wincon.

Would you dudes recommend Golem or Rhydon for stealth rocks setup? Rhydon is probably the more likely choice but golem has done me some good with explosion

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Would you dudes recommend Golem or Rhydon for stealth rocks setup? Rhydon is probably the more likely choice but golem has done me some good with explosion
short answer: rhydon
long answer: it honestly depends on the team archetype, a more offensive team might be better suited for something like golem as the rocker as it can afford to run explosion to break walls and gain momentum whereas rhydon struggles to go offensive w/o dropping rocks and more easily fits on balanced teams

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Zangoose team, teammates? And the scarf primate I've been running I'm debating using defendant because I haven't had any sleeper problems yet and it'd wreak off of the defog, sticky Web and other drops I've gotten.

Edit: definitely wanna keep those 2 and liep, and it's non sense encore/ t wave support

Last edited:

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Zangoose team, teammates? And the scarf primate I've been running I'm debating using defendant because I haven't had any sleeper problems yet and it'd wreak off of the defog, sticky Web and other drops I've gotten.

Edit: definitely wanna keep those 2 and liep, and it's non sense encore/ t wave support
hi there, you can ask for help in the nu chatroom! Just ask in there and people will help you out building your team! For now i'd say you need a fighting resist

What move fits best on CB Liepard's 4th slot, Play Rough or Gunk Shot?
I actually most of the time run Seed Bomb b/c grass coverage is always p nice and can lure a lot of stuff. tho, play rough is nice if you want to lure stuff like yama chan etc. I don't think that Gunk Shot is actually that useful, but I guess it's still cool to hit Audino-Mega, but it's the one that I dislike the most between the 3 options. overall it just depends on your team imo.

twinkay

these bugs love all the sugar in my blood
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What does Whirlpool Kanga do? I've heard people talk about it but have never seen it used / used it before.

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
What does Whirlpool Kanga do? I've heard people talk about it but have never seen it used / used it before.
From what I've seen, its supposed to trap steelix and regirock and beat it 1v1 with the combination of whirlpool, rest, fire blast and toxic. While its not seen a lot its a pretty cool concept and works pretty good on normal spam unless you get haxed. It has a wierd spread that I really dont know but I think its supposed to live 3 heavy slams and earthquakes.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You usually pair with something like Scyther because it hates Steel and Rock types. I run max hp and max def i think. You can adjust the EVs ofc but i think it runs something like that.

I tried using shiftry and i noticed that all shiftry sets on smogon pokedex have seed bomb instead of leaf blade. Since seed bomb has inferior power and no positive effect, what is the reason? I thought it was a problem of compatibility with some other move and in the chatroom i was told it wasn't compatible with suckerpunch. So i tried using a set with both sucker punch and leaf blade, but it still works. It doesn't work if the ability is pickpocket, but all the sets in the dex have clorophill.
If things are like this, shouldn't the set be modified?

Iirc Shiftry isn't supposed to have Leaf Blade and its an oversight that was never fixed, so while you can use it official sources don't advise you to. Some tours may disqualify you.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also, though it's a bit more circumstantial, Seed Bomb doesn't make contact so it can get a last hit on Garbodor without taking Rocky Helmet + Aftermath damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)