Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, C&C Edition

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
do we have a policy on which item type we should be using for type-enhancing items (i.e. plates, mystic water / charcoal, incenses where applicable)? if so what is it?

are the plates just generally the better option because theres one for every type? (fairy doesnt have a mystic water equivalent)

i only ask because i've seen non-arcues analyses with plate items reccomended, but in nu specifically we've generally been promoting type-enhancing items, we currently have an analysis in progress where the writer has used wave incense > splash plate / mystic water.

probably made this more complicated than i needed to, so sorry for that. just figured it'd be easier to tell the writer to use a specific item type.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
do we have a policy on which item type we should be using for type-enhancing items (i.e. plates, mystic water / charcoal, incenses where applicable)? if so what is it?

are the plates just generally the better option because theres one for every type? (fairy doesnt have a mystic water equivalent)

i only ask because i've seen non-arcues analyses with plate items reccomended, but in nu specifically we've generally been promoting type-enhancing items, we currently have an analysis in progress where the writer has used wave incense > splash plate / mystic water.

probably made this more complicated than i needed to, so sorry for that. just figured it'd be easier to tell the writer to use a specific item type.
I can think of a few reasons for using specifically plates, as they're more common in the DPP underground, instantly tell the reader the type they alter and are universally boosting items (hard stone in particular sounds more like an evolutionary item), and as you say have one for Fairy. But these are incredibly petty reasons. I don't think there should be any restrictions, as they all do the same thing.

But if there was a analysis open for someone to take, that means some sort of change has occurred in that Pokemon's set. How would I know what that change in the set is? Another question if i were to write an analysis would i base mine off the analysis thats already on the site? or just start fresh? sorry for so many questions! Im realy excited and want to get into this. (I was on vacation for the last 2 weeks so i couldnt make any progress)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
But if there was a analysis open for someone to take, that means some sort of change has occurred in that Pokemon's set. How would I know what that change in the set is? Another question if i were to write an analysis would i base mine off the analysis thats already on the site? or just start fresh? sorry for so many questions! Im realy excited and want to get into this. (I was on vacation for the last 2 weeks so i couldnt make any progress)
For the first question, what do you mean? Do you mean when someone was writing an analysis and it got reassigned? Or when a Pokemon requires a new analysis? If it's the latter, then you should know this by playing with the Pokemon and figuring out what the best set is. It also doesn't hurt to gather opinions from people you trust or even the QC team themselves, just don't ask for them to basically write the analysis for you.

As for the second question, you could do that, but starting fresh is usually better.

For the first question, what do you mean? Do you mean when someone was writing an analysis and it got reassigned? Or when a Pokemon requires a new analysis? If it's the latter, then you should know this by playing with the Pokemon and figuring out what the best set is. It also doesn't hurt to gather opinions from people you trust or even the QC team themselves, just don't ask for them to basically write the analysis for you.

As for the second question, you could do that, but starting fresh is usually better.
yeah i thought it was from personal experience i just wanted to make sure. thanks you answered both of my questions perfectly

Is there still room for another silly analysis for a Pokémon that's most definitely terrible? (I'm feeling like doing one for Male Combee)

I plan to join a local PKMN ORAS tournament in my region, and I am thinking of different ways to counter Megaskhan because that thing is really broken as fudge. (Legendaries aren't allowed in this tourney.)

I wanna know if this little theory of mine will work against it: Imposter Ditto holding a Quick Powder. Will my Ditto become faster than the foe's Megaskhan?

I plan to join a local PKMN ORAS tournament in my region, and I am thinking of different ways to counter Megaskhan because that thing is really broken as fudge. (Legendaries aren't allowed in this tourney.)

I wanna know if this little theory of mine will work against it: Imposter Ditto holding a Quick Powder. Will my Ditto become faster than the foe's Megaskhan?
Quick Powder only works when Ditto is in it's regular form. Choice scarf is your only option if you want to guaranteed outspeed Megakhan.

Quick Powder only works when Ditto is in it's regular form. Choice scarf is your only option if you want to guaranteed outspeed Megakhan.
Really? The reason I came up with that theory was because...during the XY era, I was hunting Dittos in the Friend Safari with my level 100 Aegislash. A level 30 Imposter Ditto holding a Quick Powder attacks first before my level 100 Aegislash (False Swipe, Iron Head, Cut, Rock Smash), so I assumed it would work. o.o

I need more input on this though... I'm kinda not confident with a Will-o-wisp Sableye to cripple Megaskhan. x3

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Really? The reason I came up with that theory was because...during the XY era, I was hunting Dittos in the Friend Safari with my level 100 Aegislash. A level 30 Imposter Ditto holding a Quick Powder attacks first before my level 100 Aegislash (False Swipe, Iron Head, Cut, Rock Smash), so I assumed it would work. o.o

I need more input on this though... I'm kinda not confident with a Will-o-wisp Sableye to cripple Megaskhan. x3
Probably moved first cuz of the speed tie

Sableye with wow is a good answer to megakhan

About how long does it take for new Pokemon (particularly lower tier drops in this case) to get their analyses started typically?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
About how long does it take for new Pokemon (particularly lower tier drops in this case) to get their analyses started typically?
There's no particular time, it just depends on how soon someone reserves the Pokemon, how long it takes them to write it, and how long it takes for QC to check it.

Hi there, I was wondering if there was someone who might have some insight regarding a problem I have:

I understand that some Smogon movesets are made in mind to fully utilize all the potential moves that a Pokemon can learn. But to try and apply it in game can be difficult.

For example, a common set that many people ask about is Chansey having the move Wish as part of the moveset.

That Pokemon was part of a special distribution in the third generation, so that Pokemon would have to be transferred across several games to make it into the Gen 6 games.

Obviously, that would be a hassle to deal with and very impractical to use such a set.

My main question is: Is there an actual list of Smogon sets where the Pokemon can actually be used in game?

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, I was wondering if there was someone who might have some insight regarding a problem I have:

I understand that some Smogon movesets are made in mind to fully utilize all the potential moves that a Pokemon can learn. But to try and apply it in game can be difficult.

For example, a common set that many people ask about is Chansey having the move Wish as part of the moveset.

That Pokemon was part of a special distribution in the third generation, so that Pokemon would have to be transferred across several games to make it into the Gen 6 games.

Obviously, that would be a hassle to deal with and very impractical to use such a set.

My main question is: Is there an actual list of Smogon sets where the Pokemon can actually be used in game?
no there is not. it isn't a huge hassle because a very large majority of games are played on smogon's simulator (http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/), not on the physical games.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is possibly the wrong place to ask (I'm new to C&C, sorry), but why does Pidgeot have Battle Spot Singles listed twice on its SmogDex page? I've checked, and they're both the same, apart from the title. Also I checked a couple of other Pokemon, and they only have it listed once. A small oversight, perhaps?

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
This is possibly the wrong place to ask (I'm new to C&C, sorry), but why does Pidgeot have Battle Spot Singles listed twice on its SmogDex page? I've checked, and they're both the same, apart from the title. Also I checked a couple of other Pokemon, and they only have it listed once. A small oversight, perhaps?
it's an error when BSS transferred the dex link over. taking care of this

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any ETA on Speed IVs showing up on sets in the strategy dex? Or to at least have them show up when you use the export feature? Lots of Pokemon rely on specific Speed stats to accomplish certain goals, such as Gastrodon and Conkeldurr in Battle Spot Doubles underspeeding minimum Speed Aegislash to KO it with Earth Power and Knock Off, so it's pretty important for those Pokemon. I vaguely recall this being brought up the in the past, but it'd be nice to hear an update on the matter.

EDIT:
Would it also be possible for the strategy dex to export the line "Level: 50" if the set is for a format that's played at that level? Battle Spot and VGC basically.

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey, I couldn't find this under the Spelling & Grammar Standards, so I'll ask it here.
are there any rules as to when to use such as or like? a lot of the corrections in the GP Stage of my Analyses have been like such as , which seem to be a common mistake with lots of people. I'm not a native english speaker so I don't know if there are any rules for it and if so, what they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)