Gen 3 Armaldo Lead TSS ADV OU

Overview:
Good Afternoon, I am a new ADV player and competitive Pokémon player in general. I have played with Sample teams for the majority of my time in ADV. I found the most success with Plan of Mid's Big five status-spreading team, and Star's Hariyama spinner balance. I found while playing that I adored the Hariyama lead with how it forced switches and punished them at the exact same time. I found its longevity wanting, however. I loved Wish Jirachi Star made with how it punishes basically everything with a body slam and how reliably it can support the team with Wish. I like Marowak's ability to clean late game but found it rather dead weight otherwise. Eventually, I realized what exactly I wanted. A bulky TSS balance team with knock-off.
Playstyle:
I like to play flexible teams. I adore having Burn, Toxic, and Para to answer all types of threats. The safety net it provides is wonderful for letting powerful threats in like Mix mence and Tar, or even Marowak. It allows me to play as recklessly as I please with my offensive mon, or even make things worse for that mon with Knock off. Stealing the freedom of choice is wonderful to me.

Win con:
This team is a Bulky Balance TSS (i think) with Knock off

Give the opponent constant catch 22's and enable offensive threats to go crazy while not buckling to a majority of other team types. Preventing Skarmory from setting up max layers of spikes is imperative. Compromising defensive options takes priority. Blanking Damage control is essential.

Alt win con:
If the offensive threats are incapacitated prior to the optimal conditions, then stall the opponent until the victory is achieved.

Team A:
TSS experiment (pokepast.es)
Armaldo
One of the biggest issues of Hariyama is its longevity. Star's Offensive yama is a great lead, absorbing status effects, threatening item removal and/or big damage. However, the status absorbtion is a hail mary play, as it puts yama on an accelerated timer. Along with this, when it faces a bad matchup, it's catastrophic. This can be chalked up to my personal skill being lacking, but I think it revolves around how yama is expected to take one hit, then do something. Usually knock off. I came to the conclusion that I would rather have a knock off user with greater bulk than Yama without sacrificing the more offensive potential it possesses. Enter Choice band Armaldo. Admittedly, it doesn't get longevity of leftovers, but in exchange has sand immunity, crit immunity, and potentially stellar stabs. Rockslide Ohkos a large amount of Zapdos and deals with most flying types rather cleanly. It will never have the ability to flinch due to its god awful speed, but then so did yama with it's rockslide. Yama had to rely on focus punch or knock off to punish switchs. With Choice band Armaldo, it is doing solid damage to any non-bulky Pokémon. Hp Bug allows it to beat Claydol and Celebi. Armaldo eats Claydol's explosion, survives everything else, and then kills it. Allowing Skarm more freedom to spike. Celebi outright dies. Starmie is a no-go, as it always kills with surf alone. Earthquake handles Jirachi, and some threats like Blaziken. In general, it is meant to knock off, deal massive damage when it is presented the rare opportunity (Ie: revenge killing, opening turns) All while allowing for less and less good options.

Tyranitar
Frankly, I had no idea what to do with Tar. It has amazing potential all around, and I am most familiar with the non ddance bulky offense sets. This mon is meant to come in on Skarm, Burn it to a crisp, and have options to use both stabs. It is a bit of a mess. Fire blast accuracy annoys me, Crunch is middling, Rockslide is always nice, and so is Earthquake. Think it needs a rework with taunt to really piss off skarm. Otherwise primary mixed offense

Blissey
Bold Blissey with Thunder wave, Heal bell, Seismic Toss and Soft-boiled. Soft boiled needs no explanation, Thunder wave is great team support and ruins a majority of Mon, Seismic toss allows for taunt to not be a forced switch along with good chip, and Heal bell is just filler, but is nice for the entire team

Skarmory
Basic Skarmory. Sets up spikes, phases setup sweepers, Puts toxic timers on certain nuisances, and protects when neccessary.

Dusclops
An intriguing Spin blocker that was introduced to me by sanguisugabogg, not a fan of shadow ball, but it works as some offensive move to smack certain switches. Focus punch is superior in my opinion, Mostly used as a more consistent Wisp user as it can take a few hits while running down certain moves with Pressure. Pain split is nice against Blissey.

Jirachi
Star's Wish Jirachi. Punishes trappers with body slam/fire punch. Wish support heals the mon that need it along with advancing toxic timers, just really nice.

The Obvious flaws
This team doesn't really have good water switch ins. Offensive pert, starmie, milotic and particularly Cune laugh at my team. the rocks can't really do shit to them, Blissey can only para, and I usually play skarm dumbly as I like sending it in on pert to set up spikes, only to invite mag in. Honestly, it's a really nasty pickle of finding the right answer to these threats while keeping a TSS team that is flexible with status and still being an offensive threat that can capitalize. I have tried defensive starmie in place of Clops to trade Wisp utility for spin. And I don't want to use Claydoll and further emphasize my water weakness.

Please, give me some tips on how to improve this team. I know it has potential, I just don't know how to have it all quite mesh yet.

Edited section
Having read around a bit, I came across a post by IllusionLaser and realized that the formatting of this post was shit. So, I updated it to have win cons.

Last edited:
On a team like this, I would recommend finding a way to fit Claydol, because the Spikes and physical attacker weaknesses are quite serious. The edit I would suggest is replacing Tyranitar with Milotic and Dusclops with Claydol, to start with. You mention using Tyranitar to check Skarmory, but you already have Jirachi to fill that role, as a strong Drill Peck and Toxic switch-in with Fire Punch and a 20% burn rate -- and with your Skarm allowing the opponent's to come in freely for Leftovers, Rapid Spin is a significant upgrade for how slow your team is to make progress against the bulkiest of teams in the ADV landscape. I think Milotic would fill the role of a Pert and Cune check, while also offering at least one more switch-in to Metagross, when Magneton+Metagross can mean Meta is free to spam Earthquake or fish Meteor Mash raises with only a specially defensive Jirachi to check it. Milo+Claydol also offer security against Aerodactyl and Tyranitar, who are some of the most important threats to check in the tier. Without Tar, however, you will be relying on Armaldo and Jirachi much more to deal with Celebi, who is omnipresent, and I think you would like to have Leftovers to support Armaldo's ability to switch in more than once. Another thing I would be careful of is being walled by Gengar with your whole team. Skarmory is using Toxic and not Drill Peck. Armaldo has three attacks that do not touch Gengar. Taunt Wisp Gar blanks Blissey entirely. Jirachi struggles to perform its role when it is burned or paralyzed, reducing its longevity and making it much weaker to physical threats who are now able to 2HKO it. Dusclops can switch in, but when burned, it will be less effective, and Gengar's best partners in Celebi, Pursuit Tyranitar, and Zapdos are then able to easily switch in and set pressure. With multiple layers down, switching into Gar while burned is made much more difficult. There's no fix to all of these problems, but Claydol+Milotic>Dusclops+Tyranitar come the closest, to my eye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)