Ubers Arceus-Rock

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
[OVERVIEW]

Arceus-Rock's typing and decent bulk allow it to fulfill a unique defensive niche as a blanket check to the tier's many Flying-type Pokemon. It is perhaps the tier's best answer to Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence due to its typing and excellent Speed, and it can be a solid check to Rayquaza and Yveltal. Rock-type Judgment has solid neutral coverage and nothing is immune to it, which allows Arceus-Rock to function as an effective mono-attacking Calm Mind user. Access to Will-O-Wisp and a valuable resistance to Normal-type attacks also allow it to cripple physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Arceus-Ground. Furthermore, a solid support movepool including Toxic, Defog, and Refresh allows Arceus-Rock some flexibility, which can make it helpful to a variety of teams. However, Arceus-Rock's typing worsens several key matchups that can make other defensive Arceus formes more reliable for most teams. Weaknesses to common Ground- and Water-type moves leave it vulnerable to prominent Pokemon such as Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre, while weaknesses to Steel- and Fighting-type moves worsen its matchup against revenge killers such as Mega Lucario and Marshadow. Arceus-Rock is also somewhat less useful due to the increasing effectiveness of Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Palkia as well as Aerilate's reduction in power making Mega Salamence a bit less prominent. Overall, Arceus-Rock continues to have a niche in bulky offense and balance teams as an answer to Flying-type attackers that does not come with the passivity of other options such as Zygarde-C, Lugia, and Arceus-Water.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Judgment
move 2: Recover
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Calm Mind
item: Stone Plate
ability: Multitype
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Judgment is a reliable Rock-type STAB move for Arceus-Rock, providing excellent neutral coverage for it as a Calm Mind attacker. Judgment can also OHKO all commonly used sets for Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, Yveltal, and Rayquaza after Stealth Rock, allowing Arceus-Rock to check its intended targets. Recover provides Arceus-Rock with reliable recovery throughout the match, letting it switch into its targets repeatedly. Will-O-Wisp allows Arceus-Rock to cripple physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus. In a pinch, Will-O-Wisp can be used against threats that super effectively threaten Arceus-Rock such as Mega Lucario, physical Arceus-Ground, and Solgaleo as an emergency way to stop a sweep, although the imperfect accuracy makes this a desperate alternative that should not be relied on. Calm Mind allows Arceus-Rock to serve as an offensive threat and sweeper mid- and late-game.

Set Details
========

Full Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Arceus-Rock to Speed tie with other maximum Speed Arceus formes, notably including Arceus-Ground and Extreme Killer Arceus, as well as any Mega Salamence set. Full HP investment increases Arceus-Rock's bulk, making it more effective at both checking Flying-types and taking hits while boosting. Stone Plate gives Arceus-Rock both its typing and access to STAB Judgment.

Usage Tips
========

Setting up early-game with Arceus-Rock is usually futile, as most teams carry faster attackers or bulky Ground- and Steel-types that will easily scare it out, so focus on spreading burns and dealing chip damage in preparation for late-game. Note that even though any Primal Groudon set can check Arceus-Rock, it takes significant damage from Judgment, so try to hit it on any anticipated switch. Arceus-Rock should avoid being poisoned, as it will be incapable of setting up effectively. Because of this, Arceus-Rock will often be more effective when burned, as it becomes capable of checking Toxic spreaders such as Arceus-Water. Be wary of Flying-types such as Mega Salamence and Ho-Oh carrying Ground-type coverage. Choice Band Ho-Oh's Earthquake can hit Arceus-Rock for 76%, so try to predict this attack once you reveal your Arceus to be Arceus-Rock. Finally, note that Will-O-Wisp can be used as a desperate means to stop a sweep by a Pokemon that beats Arceus-Rock such as Arceus-Ground, Mega Lucario, or boosted Extreme Killer Arceus. While this usually will cause Arceus-Rock to faint, it can be useful for balance and bulky offense to have that additional safety net.

Team Options
========

Arceus-Rock is mainly used over otherwise superior Calm Mind Arceus formes such as Arceus-Fairy for its ability to reliably check physical Flying-type attackers, especially Ho-Oh. As a result, Pokemon that hate these threats, such as Magearna, Ferrothorn, Lunala, and Xerneas, can appreciate support from Arceus-Rock. Primal Groudon is an excellent partner as it can handle many of Arceus-Rock's prominent checks, such as Primal Kyogre, Dialga, Blissey, Magearna and Solgaleo. Primal Kyogre can serve as a reliable check to the Ground-type attackers that scare out Arceus-Rock. Arceus-Rock hates being hit by Toxic, so a reliable Toxic absorber such as Magearna, Solgaleo, defensive Primal Kyogre, or Facade Mega Salamence can help it be more effective. Finally, Arceus-Rock will be the target of several Ground-type attacks, so Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can absorb these attacks for Arceus-Rock. Giratina-O is a solid option that fits well in the balance and bulky offense teams that use Arceus-Rock and can also provide Defog support. Mega Salamence can be a more aggressive answer to these attacks and has good coverage alongside Arceus-Rock as sweepers.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Defog can be used instead of Calm Mind to make Arceus-Rock a more support-based Pokemon that can offer some useful role compression as a Defogger that reliably checks physical Flying-types. However, the Defog set is often lackluster when compared to more prominent support Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water. Toxic can be used instead of Will-O-Wisp to more effectively cripple Arceus-Rock's special checks such as special Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Water, in exchange for losing the ability to threaten physical checks. Refresh can be used to make Arceus-Rock into a more dedicated Calm Mind sweeper by allowing it to absorb Toxic, which lets it beat checks such as Arceus-Water. However, a Refresh set is inferior to Arceus-Dark for any team that isn't extremely weak to Ho-Oh. Stealth Rock can be run so that Arceus-Rock can function as a bulky setter that threatens several Defoggers with super effective coverage, but it must sacrifice much of its utility to free up a move for it. As a more aggressive alternative, a physically offensive set with Rockium Z and Swords Dance can be used, allowing Arceus-Rock to clean late-game. This set differentiates itself from Arceus-Ground in its ability to effectively handle Flying-types such as Skarmory and Celesteela. However, the Swords Dance set relies on Stone Edge for a primary STAB move, which suffers from low PP and imperfect accuracy, and it's hard countered by bulky Ground-types such as Zygarde-C, so it is generally ineffective compared to other offensive Arceus sets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Arceus-Rock's most effective checks are Ground-types that resist its Judgment and threaten it with super effective moves. Arceus-Ground can scare out Arceus-Rock fairly easily, although physical variants must beware Will-O-Wisp. Zygarde-C can easily tank Judgment and hit Arceus-Rock with Thousand Arrows, and can use Rest to remove Will-O-Wisp burns. Primal Groudon is the most prominent Pokemon in the metagame and hard checks Arceus-Rock, although it will take severe damage from Judgment on the switch.

**Steel-types**: Most Steel-types resist Arceus-Rock's Judgment, and combined with their usual bulk this allows them to wall it pretty reliably. Magearna can easily switch into Will-O-Wisp or Judgment repeatedly and threatens to steal Calm Mind boosts with Heart Swap. Aegislash and Arceus-Steel can wall Arceus-Rock effectively, although physical variants will be severely crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Dialga and Ferrothorn get free turns from Arceus-Rock and can use them to set up entry hazards or hit it with super effective STAB moves.

**Water-types**: Offensive Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Palkia can threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective moves and reliably set up on it. Arceus-Water can spread Toxic to cripple Arceus-Rock as a Calm Mind user.

**Special Walls**: Blissey and Chansey can easily wall Arceus-Rock, absorb burns, and scare it out with Toxic.

**Grass-types**: Though rare, Grass-type attackers such as Shaymin-S and Arceus-Grass can OHKO or 2HKO Arceus-Rock with super effective STAB moves. Ferrothorn also easily walls Arceus-Rock and can use the free turns to set up entry hazards or chip away at it.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Marshadow, Mega Gengar, Mega Lucario, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Mewtwo X, and Lunala commonly carry super effective Fighting- or Steel-type moves that will easily take out a weakened Arceus-Rock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
I think this is ready for QC. The previous guy had a few pretty random pokemon on team options which I didn't mention, but I might have left it a bit barren as a result. He also had C&C split up into pokemon instead of types, so would like feedback on whether that is preferable.
Also thanks to Nayrz for the small extension I needed to complete this.

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, just wanted to recommend a few changes:

Overview:

• Access to Will-O-Wisp and a valuable immunity to Normal attacks allows it to serve as an emergency check against Extreme Killer Arceus and Mega Khangaskan, although these threats are less relevant in gen 7.
Though Rockceus takes very less from Extreme Speed, its an immune to it. Change it to "resistance".

• Other support options such as Toxic, Defog, and Refresh allow Arceus-Rock some flexibility which can make it helpful to a variety of teams.
Usually moves that don't make the main set don't usually get mentioned in Overview. I'd remove but up to QC.

• Its typing leaves it vulnerable to fast revenge killers such as Mega Lucario, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Lunala, and Mega Gengar, especially compared to competing defensive Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water.
Though Mega Lucario is a check, it doesn't really like getting crippled by burn. Also, by "fast" you usually assume that the Pokemon outspeed the subject; if that's the case, I suggest you mention "Choice Scarf Lunala" otherwise, the point becomes miss-leading. Mega Mewtwo X and Y can also be added here. They are more relevant than Pheromosa imo.

Under Moves:

• Will-O-Wisp allows Arceus-Rock to cripple physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus. In a pinch, it can be used against threats that super-effectively threaten Arceus-Rock such as Mega Lucario, physical Arceus-Ground, Mega Mewtwo X, and Solgaleo as an emergency way to stop a sweep, although the imperfect accuracy makes this a desperate alternative that should not be relied on.
Mega Mewtwo X outspeeds and OHKOs with Low Kick.

Steel-types are everywhere in the tier (It's 2nd under Checks and Counters as well). Thus, I think Fire Blast should be mentioned under move mentions if not Slashed with Will-O-Wisp.
I feel like Stealth Rock could be added under OO. It's bad compared to Arceus-Ground and Fairy but still an option.

Arceus-Rock was one of the earliest analysis to be uploaded and the metagame was pretty young at the moment. Even then, my Team Options were lacking a few mons that had defensive synergy as I was trying to show it as a more offensive Pokemon then it actually was.

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Hey man, just wanted to recommend a few changes:

Overview:

Though Rockceus takes very less from Extreme Speed, its an immune to it. Change it to "resistance".

Usually moves that don't make the main set don't usually get mentioned in Overview. I'd remove but up to QC.

Though Mega Lucario is a check, it doesn't really like getting crippled by burn. Also, by "fast" you usually assume that the Pokemon outspeed the subject; if that's the case, I suggest you mention "Choice Scarf Lunala" otherwise, the point becomes miss-leading. Mega Mewtwo X and Y can also be added here. They are more relevant than Pheromosa imo.

Under Moves:

Mega Mewtwo X outspeeds and OHKOs with Low Kick.

Steel-types are everywhere in the tier (It's 2nd under Checks and Counters as well). Thus, I think Fire Blast should be mentioned under move mentions if not Slashed with Will-O-Wisp.
I feel like Stealth Rock could be added under OO. It's bad compared to Arceus-Ground and Fairy but still an option.

Arceus-Rock was one of the earliest analysis to be uploaded and the metagame was pretty young at the moment. Even then, my Team Options were lacking a few mons that had defensive synergy as I was trying to show it as a more offensive Pokemon then it actually was.
Will fix the immunity thing, that was a pretty dumb typo. Also taking out MMX mention and specifying Scarf Lunala. MLuke can still revenge kill Arceus-Rock with Bullet Punch, and since that list has stuff that needs Arceus-Rock to be weakened to beat it I think it should still be there.
Regarding Fire Blast: feels extremely inferior to will-o-wisp, would like feedback on QC.
Regarding Stealth Rock: Arceus-Rock really wants to be partnered with Primal Groudon and doesn't work well with teams that would use Pdon as a sweeper, so I don't think it works even as a shittier version of the shitty Arceus-Ground set because of team synergy. Would like QC feedback on that.
Also didn't mean to criticize you or anything with the random team thing, lots of early analyses have that, was just reporting to QC that I took those out. Apologies for that.

Last edited:

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Will fix the immunity thing, that was a pretty dumb typo. Also taking out MMX mention and specifying Scarf Lunala. MLuke can still revenge kill Arceus-Rock with Bullet Punch, and since that list has stuff that needs Arceus-Rock to be weakened to beat it I think it should still be there.
Regarding Fire Blast: feels extremely inferior to will-o-wisp, would like feedback on QC.
Regarding Stealth Rock: Arceus-Rock really wants to be partnered with Primal Groudon and doesn't work well with teams that would use Pdon as a sweeper, so I don't think it works even as a shittier version of the shitty Arceus-Ground set because of team synergy. Would like QC feedback on that.
Also didn't mean to criticize you or anything with the random team thing, lots of early analyses have that, was just reporting to QC that I took those out. Apologies for that.
I was just accepting the issues. No hard feelings!
Btw, mentioning generational changes are best avoided. If possible, I'd reword the last two points of overview.

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Given the lack of activity here, I think maybe I should have explicitly said something along the lines of "^ Implemented" instead of just doing it, but yeah, this is still ready for QC.

"It is perhaps the tier's best answer to Ho-Oh and Salamence due to its resistances and super-effective Judgment, and can solidly check Rayquaza and Yveltal."

The 120 Speed and ability to run max speed is a huge reason behind its ability to answer to all these mons - it is usually faster which is better than most checks can say.

I don't have any issues with the rest of the skeleton, but the SD mention in OO is a little off. The main reason it can suck is the need to invest in Attack (less bulk), reliance on Stone Edge as a STAB (low PP, accuracy issues) and switching into Ho-Oh becomes scary because a burn would actually become an issue. It isn't necessarily outclassed as it does beat mons like Skarmory and Celesteela (+2 Crush after SR OHKOs) which Arceus-Ground has trouble breaking, but it is still far less effective as a general SD Arceus especially with Zygarde hanging around and its need for bulk.

Ferrothorn should be noted in C&C. Not all Steel-types are checks to Arceus-Rock (Skarm and Celes lose), so the initial wording that implies any defensive Steel can wall it will need changed.

Implement for QC 1/3

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Thanks for the checks! I implemented both of your corrections, will write this up when I have time in the allotted three days.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview

Weaknesses to common Ground-, Fighting- and Steel- type moves leave it vulnerable to prominent Pokemon such as Arceus-Ground and Primal Groudon as well as fast revenge killers such as Mega Lucario, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Choice Scarf Lunala, and Mega Gengar.
In my experience the two biggest issues when using this Pokemon are 1, the Ground weak, and 2, the Water weak. I would keep the list of revenge killers that its weak to at Mega Luke and Pheromosa, the rest are only by virtue of coverage, not all of which OHKO anyway.

These weaknesses will often make it hard to justify relative to sturdier defensive Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water.
This is somewhat true, but the way it is said here fells like an overstatement and a discredit to Arceus-Rock. More teams atm will opt for Arceus-Water over Arceus-Rock because of 1, not Ground weak, and 2, not Water weak, but Arceus-Rock is still a solid selection, and often a good one when your team can compensate for the Ground weak and fitting an Ogre pivot. Reword this sentence so that it doesn't sound like Arceus-Water outright outclasses Arceus-Rock.

Other Options

Add a sentence for Stealth Rock. A SR setter than forces out SR weak mons is nice.

Checks and Counters

Add a section for Grass-types such as Arceus-Grass (uncommon, but beats you outright), Shaymin-S (can't switch into Judge, but can revenge with Seed Flare or come in on other moves), Ferrothorn (doesn't like being burned that much, but can set Spikes, Seed, Toxic, or smack you around with Power Whip / Gyro).

Fix these and this is:

QC: 3/3

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Implemented, thanks for the check!
Also conceding the point about the SR set to CKW, good point back then.
Anyhow, this is now ready for GP!

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
amcheck, you don't have to implement this and it doesn't count as an official GP

ADD, (AC) = Add Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen
REMOVE, (RC) = Remove Comma, (RH) = Remove Hyphen

(comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Arceus-Rock's typing and decent bulk allows it to fulfill a unique defensive niche as a blanket check to the tier's many Flying-type Pokemon. It is perhaps the tier's best answer to Ho-Oh and Salamence due to its typing and excellent Speed, and can be a solidly check to Rayquaza and Yveltal. Rock-type Judgment has solid neutral coverage and nothing is immune to it, which allows Arceus-Rock to function as an effective mono-attacking Calm Mind forme user. Access to Will-O-Wisp and a valuable resistance to Normal attacks also allows it to cripple physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Arceus-Ground. Furthermore, a solid support movepool including Toxic, Defog, and Refresh allow Arceus-Rock some flexibility which can make it helpful to a variety of teams. However, Arceus-Rock's typing worsens several key matchups that can make other defense defensive Arceus formes more reliable for most teams. Weaknesses to common Ground- and Water-type moves leave it vulnerable to prominent Pokemon such as Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon, (AC) and Primal Kyogre, while weaknesses to Steel- and Fighting-type moves worsen its matchup against revenge killers (like?). Arceus-Rock is also somewhat less useful due to the increasing effectiveness of Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Palkia as well as the nerf to one of its prominent targets in Mega Salamence. Overall, Arceus-Rock continues to have a niche in bulky offense and balance teams as an answer to Flying-type attackers that does not come with the passivity of other options such as Zygarde-C, Lugia, (AC) and Arceus-Water.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Judgment is a reliable Rock-type STAB move for Arceus-Rock, providing excellent neutral coverage for it as a Calm Mind attacker. Judgment can also OHKO any all commonly used sets for Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, Yveltal, (AC) and Rayquaza after Stealth Rock, allowing Arceus-Rock to check its intended targets. Recover provides Arceus-Rock with reliable recovery throughout the match, letting it switch into repeatedly on its targets repeatedly. Will-O-Wisp allows Arceus-Rock to cripple physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus. In a pinch, Will-O-Wisp can be used against threats that super- (RH) (add space)effectively threaten Arceus-Rock such as Mega Lucario, physical Arceus-Ground, and Solgaleo as an emergency way to stop a sweep, although the imperfect accuracy makes this a desperate alternative that should not be relied on. Calm Mind allows Arceus-Rock to serve as an offensive threat and wincon sweeper mid- and late-game.

Set Details
========

Full Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Arceus-Rock to Speed- (RH) (add space)tie with other maximum Speed Arceus formes, notably including Arceus-Ground and Extreme Killer Arceus, as well as any Mega Salamence set. Full HP investment increases Arceus-Rock's bulk, making it more effective at both checking Flying-types and taking hits while boosting. Multitype is Arceus-Rock's mandatory ability, and Stone Plate gives Arceus-Rock both its typing and access to STAB Judgment.

Usage Tips
========

Setting up early-game with Arceus-Rock is usually futile, as most teams carry faster attackers or bulky Ground- and Steel-types that will easily scare it out, so focus on spreading burns and getting in chip damage in preparation for late-game. Note that even though any Primal Groudon set can check Arceus-Rock, it takes significant damage from Judgment, so try to hit it on any anticipated switch. Arceus-Rock should avoid being poisoned, as it will be incapable of setting up effectively. Because of this, Arceus-Rock will often be more effective when burned, as it becomes capable of checking Toxic spreaders such as Arceus-Water. While Ground coverage is somewhat less common in Flying-types this generation on Flying-types isn't very common (don't mention generational changes), beware of Earthquake from Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence. Choice Band Ho-Oh's Earthquake can hit Arceus-Rock for 76%, so try to predict this attack once you reveal your Arceus to be Arceus-Rock. Finally, note that Will-O-Wisp can be used as a desperate means to stop a sweep by a Pokemon that beats Arceus-Rock such as Arceus-Ground, Mega Lucario, or boosted Extreme Killer Arceus. While this usually will cause Arceus-Rock to faint, it can be useful for balance and bulky offense to have that additional safety net.

Team Options
========

Arceus-Rock is mainly used over otherwise- (RH) (add space)superior Calm Mind Arceus formes such as Arceus-Dark for its ability to reliably check physical Flying-type attackers, especially Ho-Oh. As a result, Pokemon that hate these threats, such as Magearna, Ferrothorn, Lunala, and Xerneas, can appreciate support from Arceus-Rock. Primal Groudon is an excellent partner as it can handle many of Arceus-Rock's prominent checks, such as Primal Kyogre, Dialga, Blissey, Magearna, (AC) and Solgaleo. Primal Kyogre can also (also? unless I'm missing something this shouldn't be here. maybe this is supposed to be at the end?) serve as a reliable check to the Ground-type attackers that scare out Arceus-Rock. Arceus-Rock hates being hit by Toxic, so a reliable Toxic absorber such as Magearna, Solgaleo, defensive Primal Kyogre, (AC) or Facade Mega Salamence can help it be more effective. Finally, Arceus-Rock will be the target of several Ground-type attacks, so Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can absorb these attacks for Arceus-Rock. Giratina-O is a solid option that fits well in the balance and bulky offense teams that use Arceus-Rock and can also provide Defog support. Mega Salamence can be a more aggressive answer to these attacks and has good coverage alongside Arceus-Rock as sweepers.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Defog can be used instead of Calm Mind to make Arceus-Rock into a more support-based Pokemon, and can offer some useful role- (RH) (add space)compression as a Defogger that reliably checks physical Flying-(AH)types. However, the Defog set is often lackluster when compared to more prominent support Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water. Toxic can be used instead of Will-O-Wisp to more effectively cripple Arceus-Rock's special checks such as special Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Water, in exchange for losing the ability to threaten physical checks. Refresh can be used to make Arceus-Rock into a more dedicated Calm Mind sweeper by allowing it to absorb Toxic, which lets it beat checks such as Arceus-Water. However, a Refresh set will be inferior to Arceus-Dark for any team that isn't extremely weak to Ho-Oh. Stealth Rock can be run for so that Arceus-Rock can function as a bulky setter that threatens several defoggers with super- (RH) (add space)effective coverage, but Arceus-Rock it must sacrifice much of its utility to free up a move for it. As a more aggressive alternative, a physically offensive set with Rockium Z and Swords Dance can be used, allowing Arceus-Rock to clean late game. This set differentiates itself from Arceus-Ground in its ability to effectively handle Flying-types such as Skarmory and Celesteela. However, the Swords Dance set relies on Stone Edge for a primary STAB move, which suffers from low PP and imperfect accuracy, and its it's hard-countered by bulky Ground-types such as Zygarde-C, so it is generally ineffective compared to other offensive Arceus sets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Arceus-Rock's most effective checks are Ground-types that resist its Judgment and threaten it with super- (RH) (add space)effective moves. Arceus-Ground can scare out Arceus-Rock fairly easily, although physical variants must beware Will-O-Wisp. Zygarde-C can easily tank Judgment and hit Arceus-Rock with Thousand Arrows, and can use Rest to remove off Will-O-Wisp burns. Primal Groudon is the most prominent Pokemon in the metagame and hard- (RH) (add space)checks Arceus-Rock, although it will take severe damage from Judgment on the switch.

**Steel-types**: Most Steel-types resist Arceus-Rock's Judgment, and combined with their usual bulk allows them to wall it pretty reliably. Magearna can easily switch into Will-O-Wisp or Judgment repeatedly and threatens to steal Calm Mind boosts (maybe clarify how it does this?). Aegislash and Arceus-Steel can wall Arceus-Rock effectively, although physical variants will be severely crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Dialga and Ferrothorn get free turns from Arceus-Rock and can use them to set up entry hazards or hit it with super- (RH) (add space)effective STAB moves.

**Water-types**: Offensive Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Palkia can threaten Arceus-Rock with super- (RH) (add space)effective moves and reliably set up on it. Arceus-Water can spread Toxic to cripple Arceus-Rock as a Calm Mind user.

**Special Walls**: Blissey and Chansey can easily wall Arceus-Rock, absorb burns, and scare it out with Toxic.

**Grass-types**: Though rare, Grass-type attackers such as Shaymin-S and Arceus-Grass can OHKO or 2HKO Arceus-Rock with super effective STAB moves. Ferrothorn also easily walls Arceus-Rock and can use the free turns to set up entry hazards or chip away at it.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Mega Gengar, Mega Lucario, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Mewtwo X, and Lunala commonly carry super- (RH) (add space)effective Fighting- or Steel-type moves that will easily take out a weakened Arceus-Rock.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Xayah careful with subject-verb agreement (see the three "allows/allow" in the overview) and unnecessary commas (lots of "I went to the store, and bought milk" cases here)
otherwise good stuff

GP 1/2

[OVERVIEW]

Arceus-Rock's typing and decent bulk allows allow it to fulfill a unique defensive niche as a blanket check to the tier's many Flying-type Pokemon. It is perhaps the tier's best answer to Ho-Oh and Salamence due to its typing and excellent Speed, and it can be a solidly check to Rayquaza and Yveltal. Rock-type Judgment has solid neutral coverage and nothing is immune to it, which allows Arceus-Rock to function as an effective mono-attacking Calm Mind forme user. Access to Will-O-Wisp and a valuable resistance to Normal attacks also allows allow it to cripple physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Arceus-Ground. Furthermore, a solid support movepool including Toxic, Defog, and Refresh allow allows Arceus-Rock some flexibility, (AC) which can make it helpful to a variety of teams. However, Arceus-Rock's typing worsens several key matchups that can make other defense defensive Arceus formes more reliable for most teams. Weaknesses to common Ground- and Water-type moves leave it vulnerable to prominent Pokemon such as Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon, (AC) and Primal Kyogre, while weaknesses to Steel- and Fighting-type moves worsen its matchup against revenge killers (like?). Arceus-Rock is also somewhat less useful due to the increasing effectiveness of Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Palkia as well as the nerf to one of its prominent targets in Mega Salamence. (say what the nerf is instead of calling it a nerf) Overall, Arceus-Rock continues to have a niche in bulky offense and balance teams as an answer to Flying-type attackers that does not come with the passivity of other options such as Zygarde-C, Lugia, (AC) and Arceus-Water.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Judgment is a reliable Rock-type STAB move for Arceus-Rock, providing excellent neutral coverage for it as a Calm Mind attacker. Judgment can also OHKO any all commonly used sets for Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, Yveltal, (AC) and Rayquaza after Stealth Rock, allowing Arceus-Rock to check its intended targets. Recover provides Arceus-Rock with reliable recovery throughout the match, letting it switch into repeatedly on its targets repeatedly. Will-O-Wisp allows Arceus-Rock to cripple physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus. In a pinch, Will-O-Wisp can be used against threats that super- (RH) (add space)effectively threaten Arceus-Rock such as Mega Lucario, physical Arceus-Ground, and Solgaleo as an emergency way to stop a sweep, although the imperfect accuracy makes this a desperate alternative that should not be relied on. Calm Mind allows Arceus-Rock to serve as an offensive threat and wincon sweeper mid- and late-game.

Set Details
========

Full Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Arceus-Rock to Speed- (RH) (add space)tie with other maximum Speed Arceus formes, notably including Arceus-Ground and Extreme Killer Arceus, as well as any Mega Salamence set. Full HP investment increases Arceus-Rock's bulk, making it more effective at both checking Flying-types and taking hits while boosting. Multitype is Arceus-Rock's mandatory ability, and Stone Plate gives Arceus-Rock both its typing and access to STAB Judgment.

Usage Tips
========

Setting up early-game with Arceus-Rock is usually futile, as most teams carry faster attackers or bulky Ground- and Steel-types that will easily scare it out, so focus on spreading burns and getting in chip damage in preparation for late-game. Note that even though any Primal Groudon set can check Arceus-Rock, it takes significant damage from Judgment, so try to hit it on any anticipated switch. Arceus-Rock should avoid being poisoned, as it will be incapable of setting up effectively. Because of this, Arceus-Rock will often be more effective when burned, as it becomes capable of checking Toxic spreaders such as Arceus-Water. While Ground coverage is somewhat less common in Flying-types this generation on Flying-types isn't very common (don't mention generational changes), beware of Earthquake from Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence. Choice Band Ho-Oh's Earthquake can hit Arceus-Rock for 76%, so try to predict this attack once you reveal your Arceus to be Arceus-Rock. Finally, note that Will-O-Wisp can be used as a desperate means to stop a sweep by a Pokemon that beats Arceus-Rock such as Arceus-Ground, Mega Lucario, or boosted Extreme Killer Arceus. While this usually will cause Arceus-Rock to faint, it can be useful for balance and bulky offense to have that additional safety net.

Team Options
========

Arceus-Rock is mainly used over otherwise- (RH) (add space)superior Calm Mind Arceus formes such as Arceus-Dark for its ability to reliably check physical Flying-type attackers, especially Ho-Oh. As a result, Pokemon that hate these threats, such as Magearna, Ferrothorn, Lunala, and Xerneas, can appreciate support from Arceus-Rock. Primal Groudon is an excellent partner, (AC) as it can handle many of Arceus-Rock's prominent checks, such as Primal Kyogre, Dialga, Blissey, Magearna, (AC) and Solgaleo. Primal Kyogre can also (also? unless I'm missing something this shouldn't be here. maybe this is supposed to be at the end?) serve as a reliable check to the Ground-type attackers that scare out Arceus-Rock. Arceus-Rock hates being hit by Toxic, so a reliable Toxic absorber such as Magearna, Solgaleo, defensive Primal Kyogre, (AC) or Facade Mega Salamence can help it be more effective. Finally, Arceus-Rock will be the target of several Ground-type attacks, so Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can absorb these attacks for Arceus-Rock. Giratina-O is a solid option that fits well in the balance and bulky offense teams that use Arceus-Rock and can also provide Defog support. Mega Salamence can be a more aggressive answer to these attacks and has good coverage alongside Arceus-Rock as sweepers.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Defog can be used instead of Calm Mind to make Arceus-Rock into a more support-based Pokemon, and that can offer some useful role- (RH) (add space)compression as a Defogger that reliably checks physical Flying-(AH)types. However, the Defog set is often lackluster when compared to more prominent support Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water. Toxic can be used instead of Will-O-Wisp to more effectively cripple Arceus-Rock's special checks such as special Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Water, in exchange for losing the ability to threaten physical checks. Refresh can be used to make Arceus-Rock into a more dedicated Calm Mind sweeper by allowing it to absorb Toxic, which lets it beat checks such as Arceus-Water. However, a Refresh set will be inferior to Arceus-Dark for any team that isn't extremely weak to Ho-Oh. Stealth Rock can be run for so that Arceus-Rock can function as a bulky setter that threatens several Defoggers with super- (RH) (add space)effective coverage, but Arceus-Rock must sacrifice much of its utility to free up a move for it. As a more aggressive alternative, a physically offensive set with Rockium Z and Swords Dance can be used, allowing Arceus-Rock to clean late-game. This set differentiates itself from Arceus-Ground in its ability to effectively handle Flying-types such as Skarmory and Celesteela. However, the Swords Dance set relies on Stone Edge for a primary STAB move, which suffers from low PP and imperfect accuracy, and its it's hard countered by bulky Ground-types such as Zygarde-C, so it is generally ineffective compared to other offensive Arceus sets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Arceus-Rock's most effective checks are Ground-types that resist its Judgment and threaten it with super- (RH) (add space)effective moves. Arceus-Ground can scare out Arceus-Rock fairly easily, although physical variants must beware Will-O-Wisp. Zygarde-C can easily tank Judgment and hit Arceus-Rock with Thousand Arrows, and it can use Rest to remove off Will-O-Wisp burns. Primal Groudon is the most prominent Pokemon in the metagame and hard- (RH) (add space)checks Arceus-Rock, although it will take severe damage from Judgment on the switch.

**Steel-types**: Most Steel-types resist Arceus-Rock's Judgment, and combined with their usual bulk this allows them to wall it pretty reliably. Magearna can easily switch into Will-O-Wisp or Judgment repeatedly and threatens to steal Calm Mind boosts (maybe clarify how it does this?). Aegislash and Arceus-Steel can wall Arceus-Rock effectively, although physical variants will be severely crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Dialga and Ferrothorn get free turns from Arceus-Rock and can use them to set up entry hazards or hit it with super- (RH) (add space)effective STAB moves.

**Water-types**: Offensive Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Palkia can threaten Arceus-Rock with super- (RH) (add space)effective moves and reliably set up on it. Arceus-Water can spread Toxic to cripple Arceus-Rock as a Calm Mind user.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Mega Gengar, Mega Lucario, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Mewtwo X, and Lunala commonly carry super- (RH) (add space)effective Fighting- or Steel-type moves that will easily take out a weakened Arceus-Rock.

Last edited:

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
I've implemented the changes (except the Ground coverage not being very common thing because it isn't true, it's just less common than in Gen6).
Thanks for the check!

Nixon73
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Arceus-Rock's typing and decent bulk allow it to fulfill a unique defensive niche as a blanket check to the tier's many Flying-type Pokemon. It is perhaps the tier's best answer to Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence (I'm assuming you aren't referring to regular Salamence here. It's a good idea to clarify that you're referring to its Mega forme the first time it's being mentioned.) due to its typing and excellent Speed, and it can be a solid check to Rayquaza and Yveltal. Rock-type Judgment has solid neutral coverage and nothing is immune to it, which allows Arceus-Rock to function as an effective mono-attacking Calm Mind user. Access to Will-O-Wisp and a valuable resistance to Normal Normal-type attacks also allow it to cripple physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Arceus-Ground. Furthermore, a solid support movepool including Toxic, Defog, and Refresh allows Arceus-Rock some flexibility, which can make it helpful to a variety of teams. However, Arceus-Rock's typing worsens several key matchups that can make other defensive Arceus formes more reliable for most teams. Weaknesses to common Ground- and Water-type moves leave it vulnerable to prominent Pokemon such as Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre, while weaknesses to Steel- and Fighting-type moves worsen its matchup against revenge killers such as Mega Lucario. Arceus-Rock is also somewhat less useful due to the increasing effectiveness of Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Palkia as well as the Aerilate nerf boost in power from Aerilate being reduced making Mega Salamence less prominent. Overall, Arceus-Rock continues to have a niche in bulky offense and balance teams as an answer to Flying-type attackers that does not come with the passivity of other options such as Zygarde-C, Lugia, and Arceus-Water.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Judgment is a reliable Rock-type STAB move for Arceus-Rock, providing excellent neutral coverage for it as a Calm Mind attacker. Judgment can also OHKO all commonly used sets for Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, Yveltal, and Rayquaza after Stealth Rock, allowing Arceus-Rock to check its intended targets. Recover provides Arceus-Rock with reliable recovery throughout the match, letting it switch into its targets repeatedly. Will-O-Wisp allows Arceus-Rock to cripple physical attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus. In a pinch, Will-O-Wisp can be used against threats that super effectively threaten Arceus-Rock such as Mega Lucario, physical Arceus-Ground, and Solgaleo as an emergency way to stop a sweep, although the imperfect accuracy makes this a desperate alternative that should not be relied on. Calm Mind allows Arceus-Rock to serve as an offensive threat and sweeper mid- and late-game.

Set Details
========

Full Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Arceus-Rock to Speed tie with other maximum Speed Arceus formes, notably including Arceus-Ground and Extreme Killer Arceus, as well as any Mega Salamence set. Full HP investment increases Arceus-Rock's bulk, making it more effective at both checking Flying-types and taking hits while boosting. Multitype is Arceus-Rock's mandatory ability, and (if it's mandatory and offers no utility then there's no need to mention it) Stone Plate gives Arceus-Rock both its typing and access to STAB Judgment.

Usage Tips
========

Setting up early-game with Arceus-Rock is usually futile, as most teams carry faster attackers or bulky Ground- and Steel-types that will easily scare it out, so focus on spreading burns and getting in dealing chip damage in preparation for late-game. Note that even though any Primal Groudon set can check Arceus-Rock, it takes significant damage from Judgment, so try to hit it on any anticipated switch. Arceus-Rock should avoid being poisoned, as it will be incapable of setting up effectively. Because of this, Arceus-Rock will often be more effective when burned, as it becomes capable of checking Toxic spreaders such as Arceus-Water. Be wary of Flying-types such as Mega Salamence and Ho-Oh carrying Ground Ground-type coverage. Choice Band Ho-Oh's Earthquake can hit Arceus-Rock for 76%, so try to predict this attack once you reveal your Arceus to be Arceus-Rock. Finally, note that Will-O-Wisp can be used as a desperate means to stop a sweep by a Pokemon that beats Arceus-Rock such as Arceus-Ground, Mega Lucario, or boosted Extreme Killer Arceus. While this usually will cause Arceus-Rock to faint, it can be useful for balance and bulky offense to have that additional safety net.

Team Options
========

Arceus-Rock is mainly used over otherwise superior Calm Mind Arceus formes such as Arceus-Dark for its ability to reliably check physical Flying-type attackers, especially Ho-Oh. As a result, Pokemon that hate these threats, such as Magearna, Ferrothorn, Lunala, and Xerneas, can appreciate support from Arceus-Rock. Primal Groudon is an excellent partner as it can handle many of Arceus-Rock's prominent checks, such as Primal Kyogre, Dialga, Blissey, Magearnam Magearna and Solgaleo. Primal Kyogre can serve as a reliable check to the Ground-type attackers that scare out Arceus-Rock. Arceus-Rock hates being hit by Toxic, so a reliable Toxic absorber such as Magearna, Solgaleo, defensive Primal Kyogre, or Facade Mega Salamence can help it be more effective. Finally, Arceus-Rock will be the target of several Ground-type attacks, so Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can absorb these attacks for Arceus-Rock. Giratina-O is a solid option that fits well in the balance and bulky offense teams that use Arceus-Rock and can also provide Defog support. Mega Salamence can be a more aggressive answer to these attacks and has good coverage alongside Arceus-Rock as sweepers.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Defog can be used instead of Calm Mind to make Arceus-Rock into a more support-based Pokemon, (RC) that can offer some useful role compression as a Defogger that reliably checks physical Flying-types. However, the Defog set is often lackluster when compared to more prominent support Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water. Toxic can be used instead of Will-O-Wisp to more effectively cripple Arceus-Rock's special checks such as special Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Water, in exchange for losing the ability to threaten physical checks. Refresh can be used to make Arceus-Rock into a more dedicated Calm Mind sweeper by allowing it to absorb Toxic, which lets it beat checks such as Arceus-Water. However, a Refresh set will be is inferior to Arceus-Dark for any team that isn't extremely weak to Ho-Oh. Stealth Rock can be run so that Arceus-Rock can function as a bulky setter that threatens several defoggers Defoggers with super effective coverage, but it must sacrifice much of its utility to free up a move for it. As a more aggressive alternative, a physically offensive set with Rockium Z and Swords Dance can be used, allowing Arceus-Rock to clean late game late-game. This set differentiates itself from Arceus-Ground in its ability to effectively handle Flying-types such as Skarmory and Celesteela. However, the Swords Dance set relies on Stone Edge for a primary STAB move, which suffers from low PP and imperfect accuracy, and it's hard countered by bulky Ground-types such as Zygarde-C, so it is generally ineffective compared to other offensive Arceus sets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Arceus-Rock's most effective checks are Ground-types that resist its Judgment and threaten it with super effective moves. Arceus-Ground can scare out Arceus-Rock fairly easily, although physical variants must beware Will-O-Wisp. Zygarde-C can easily tank Judgment and hit Arceus-Rock with Thousand Arrows, and it can use Rest to remove Will-O-Wisp burns. Primal Groudon is the most prominent Pokemon in the metagame and hard checks Arceus-Rock, although it will take severe damage from Judgment on the switch.

**Steel-types**: Most Steel-types resist Arceus-Rock's Judgment, and combined with their usual bulk this allows them to wall it pretty reliably. Magearna can easily switch into Will-O-Wisp or Judgment repeatedly and threatens to steal Calm Mind boosts with Heart Swap. Aegislash and Arceus-Steel can wall Arceus-Rock effectively, although physical variants will be severely crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Dialga and Ferrothorn get free turns from Arceus-Rock and can use them to set up entry hazards or hit it with super effective STAB moves.

**Water-types**: Offensive Water-types such as Primal Kyogre and Palkia can threaten Arceus-Rock with super effective moves and reliably set up on it. Arceus-Water can spread Toxic to cripple Arceus-Rock as a Calm Mind user.

**Revenge Killers**: Fast revenge killers such as Mega Gengar, Mega Lucario, Pheromosa, Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Mewtwo X, and Lunala commonly carry super effective Fighting- or Steel-type moves that will easily take out a weakened Arceus-Rock.

not much I needed to do, good job! GP 2/2

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Thanks for the check! I implemented all except the Aerilate line since I felt it sounded a bit awkward, so I rephrased it a little.
If that is fine, then I will go ahead and mark this as done! Thanks again to everyone for all the checks and CKW for the feedback.

Reactions: Wob
Fireburn and I are going to review this and edit (or maybe revamp) this due to Marshadow's impact on it before we upload it.

Have no fear - this was just unfortunate timing and it will not be used against you. I think its unfair to expect this to be redone by you after the work already put into it.

edit: this is now uploaded, not much was needed to be changed

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)