Applying to college

Congrats! If you happen to attend there then I think you'll enjoy it. One of my friends is a freshman there and she's loving it. Hopefully the price is reasonable for you; UW and similar schools are often 50K a year which is nuts.

I was fortunate enough to get accepted to all the UC schools I applied to: San Diego, Santa Barbara, Irvine, and Los Angeles. I also got regent scholarships at UCI and UCSB. I'm leaning towards those but UCLA would be fantastic if it's affordable. Otherwise I'm waiting to hear from Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford but I really don't expect to get in there. I have other options in small private schools but most are so expensive that even with my award of their maximum merit-based scholarships they aren't looking optimal.

When it comes to receiving "need-based" scholarships, apparently life's not all that easy for the blonde-haired, blue-eyed, middle class, stable household, non-refugee/cancer survivor/rape victim, straight white male. There must be something inherently wrong with my skin color/sexual identity/etc to not be considered for finiancial aid, but try explaining that to the "tolerant" folk who give scholarships to everyone that looks different than me since I'm "privileged". A lot of kids do have serious need, and sadly the kids at my school who have no real issues but are a minority in some way receive the same rewards. Ultimately the money that they "need" (I personally know plenty that don't) comes from my pocket since my tuition is raised to cover for them. This is sort of a rant but I'm not mad, just disappointed that some people still consider social prejudice as much as actual quality. All I want is a fair chance.

If anyone here is freaking out about acceptance, trust me you aren't alone. A lot of my friends, and most of my senior class, is in a panic since their letters/emails are taking forever to come and have been denied from many of their top choices. There's also a lot of pressure from parents (especially those of a few ethnicities) since many have a "UC or we disown you" attitude which is really hard on kids. The reality is that if you work hard and make good connections via friends/businesses/clients/etc, life tends work out. There's always a place in the world for someone that is motivated, organized, and dedicated. My advice is to keep your hope up and try not to stress too much.
Luckily I'll be paying in-state tuition so it won't be nearly as much, especially since I'll probably live at home after my first year. Also UW is not 50k even for out-of-state I don't think, I think it's more like 30k - 35k

Also yeah scholarships can be hard, outside of a few minority-based scholarships though I don't feel like race / sexuality play a huge role? At least if there are gay-only scholarships lmk xD. Mainly I find they either want you to be very low-income, be super community-involved, or be incredibly smart... I'm none of the above so I'm kinda fucked x_x

And also, congrats on your acceptance! That's crazy cool and you should be very proud :) Good prepping / work on your part to have so many great options!

Congrats! If you happen to attend there then I think you'll enjoy it. One of my friends is a freshman there and she's loving it. Hopefully the price is reasonable for you; UW and similar schools are often 50K a year which is nuts.

I was fortunate enough to get accepted to all the UC schools I applied to: San Diego, Santa Barbara, Irvine, and Los Angeles. I also got regent scholarships at UCI and UCSB. I'm leaning towards those but UCLA would be fantastic if it's affordable. Otherwise I'm waiting to hear from Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford but I really don't expect to get in there. I have other options in small private schools but most are so expensive that even with my award of their maximum merit-based scholarships they aren't looking optimal.

When it comes to receiving "need-based" scholarships, apparently life's not all that easy for the blonde-haired, blue-eyed, middle class, stable household, non-refugee/cancer survivor/rape victim, straight white male. There must be something inherently wrong with my skin color/sexual identity/etc to not be considered for finiancial aid, but try explaining that to the "tolerant" folk who give scholarships to everyone that looks different than me since I'm "privileged". A lot of kids do have serious need, and sadly the kids at my school who have no real issues but are a minority in some way receive the same rewards. Ultimately the money that they "need" (I personally know plenty that don't) comes from my pocket since my tuition is raised to cover for them. This is sort of a rant but I'm not mad, just disappointed that some people still consider social prejudice as much as actual quality. All I want is a fair chance.

Edit: Some of those make it easy to get scholarships, but they all make it easier to get admitted in the first place. It's messed up.

If anyone here is freaking out about acceptance, trust me you aren't alone. A lot of my friends, and most of my senior class, is in a panic since their letters/emails are taking forever to come and have been denied from many of their top choices. There's also a lot of pressure from parents (especially those of a few ethnicities) since many have a "UC or we disown you" attitude which is really hard on kids. The reality is that if you work hard and make good connections via friends/businesses/clients/etc, life tends work out. There's always a place in the world for someone that is motivated, organized, and dedicated. My advice is to keep your hope up and try not to stress too much.
Have you tried applying to third-party scholarships?

I'm looking into some of those. Right now I'm planning to apply for scholarships from NESA (National Eagle Scout Association) and my dad's company, the latter of which can award like $5000 per year iirc. I have options and that is something I'm very grateful for.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi I just remembered this thread existed and decided "hey why not bring it back up"

So for you who don't know me I'm a cookie cutter upper middle class white kid from New Hampshire. My SAT scores are 710 math 690 reading (hopefully those go up Saturday), my unweighted GPA is 3.75 I'm in the top 10% of my class, got 4s on the AP Physics 1 and AP Chemistry tests (also currently in AP Physics 2 and AP Calc, and I've done 3 seasons of sports for 4 years (was XC captain twice and winter track this coming winter), math team member and current captain, I competed in our states FinLit competition, am senior class president, did an internship this past spring at a scientific research company, and a few other smaller things I'm probably forgetting.

I intend to pursue chemical engineering

I'm applying to:
UNH
UML
WPI
Clarkson
U of Rochester
Bucknell
Lehigh
Lafayette
Villanova
Stevens Institute of Technology

I was just wondering what some of you thought my chances are at some of the schools on my list

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi I just remembered this thread existed and decided "hey why not bring it back up"

So for you who don't know me I'm a cookie cutter upper middle class white kid from New Hampshire. My SAT scores are 710 math 690 reading (hopefully those go up Saturday), my unweighted GPA is 3.75 I'm in the top 10% of my class, got 4s on the AP Physics 1 and AP Chemistry tests (also currently in AP Physics 2 and AP Calc, and I've done 3 seasons of sports for 4 years (was XC captain twice and winter track this coming winter), math team member and current captain, I competed in our states FinLit competition, am senior class president, did an internship this past spring at a scientific research company, and a few other smaller things I'm probably forgetting.

I intend to pursue chemical engineering

I'm applying to:
UNH
UML
WPI
Clarkson
U of Rochester
Bucknell
Lehigh
Lafayette
Villanova
Stevens Institute of Technology

I was just wondering what some of you thought my chances are at some of the schools on my list

Thanks!
Also I know it's a bit late to add more colleges but in any of your opinions would RPI and SUNY Binghamton be good schools to add to this list

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Some background information: I want to major in Computer Science. My GPA is 4.2 weighted and 3.7 unweighted. My SAT score is a 1500. I haven't taken any SAT subject test. I am currently applying to the following Common App schools:

Claremont Mckenna
Harvey Mudd
Stanford
University of the Pacific
USC

Now, here's my issue: I have to take the SAT subject test for both Math II and Chemistry during November and December (not doing EA / ED) and get at least a 650 on both. Math II, I feel pretty confident that I'll do well, but I completely forget everything for Chemistry and I've been doing abysmally on the practice test. I can't take any other Subject test for Science since I'm bad at Bio and am currently enrolled in AP Physics (and I barely understand what's happening in the class). I've been trying to self-study in using the Baron's book, but get a bit overwhelmed by the content. For people who took the Chemistry SAT II and good a good score, how did you study? Also, if I get a score lower than 650 on Chemistry and can't submit it, how hard will my chances to get into these schools be hit?

this is some advice from someone in college atm. Make sure you're very sure/interested in your chosen major, or you might find like me that you're not really interested in it. Don't take it sounds cool, to mean that it should be your future; read up on your major, ask seniors when you're in freshman year. Do everything in your power to ensure that you're well placed to make a decision.

Ununhexium

So I got some good news everyone I got into Villanova for chemical engineering so that’s where I’ll be going next year I’m super excited

EDIT: can other people post with their acceptances / decisions

Last edited:

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
So I got some good news everyone I got into Villanova for chemical engineering so that’s where I’ll be going next year I’m super excited

EDIT: can other people post with their acceptances / decisions

This is excellent! I believe their campus is still under "construction" though, I take the Thornedale line quite often and their campus is one of the stops (one of their campuses at least) and it's been under construction for about half a year now.

I'm a long time lurker, then a pretty good wifi trader when I was 14 lol. I was home schooled 8th grade and clearly had way to much free time. Reading all my old post is cracking me up and I have discovered that there is more to Smogon than just the Wifi section. :v4: I'm 17 now and applying to BYU Provo (spoiler I'm Mormon) right now, my application is due Feb. 2 and I'll find out March. 2. Fingers crossed!

Edit: Going through all the profiles of people I traded with and everyone is inactive :(

Last edited:

Syncrasy

Change the game, don't let the game change you
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
TBH didn't really try as much as I should of and my grades kind of reflected that. Just applying to some local schools atm(from Texas applied to UT Austin,San Antonio,Dallas and A&M). Not sure if anyone else here goes to these schools or not, but curious if anyone here knows the difficulty for going into the major of Computer Science or Engineereing in any of those schools. Stats are 1390(600 EBRW 790Math iirc) on SAT(ya probably should of studied earlier than i did) and got 3.95/4.35 on GPA.

anwyays good luck for others in thier applications :]

Last edited:
TBH didn't really try as much as I should of and my grades kind of reflected that. Just applying to some local schools atm(from Texas applied to UT Austin,San Antonio,Dallas and A&M). Not sure if anyone else here goes to these schools or not, but curious if anyone here knows the difficulty for going into the major of Computer Science or Engineereing in any of those schools. Stats are 1390(600 EBRW 790Math iirc) on SAT(ya probably should of studied earlier than i did) and got 3.95/4.35 on GPA.

anwyays good luck for others in thier applications :]
3.95 out of 4.35 or 3.95 UW and 4.35 W?

I can't really quantify your chances at the moment because GPA correlates with your school district. If you went to a top-ranked school and maintained that GPA, then you have a larger chance than, say, a person from a low-ranked school. Although Math is shown to be your strength, your 600 in EBRW is still very low. Lack of SAT II scores may also adversely hurt you. Even though these tests are supplementary at your listed institutions, SAT II's would have brought stronger credibility to your GPA and overall academic mastery since those tests are standardized.

Have you done any extracurriculars, and do you hold leadership positions in any of them (or demonstrate any form of leadership for that matter)? Based on your interest in going into Engineering, extracurriculars like Robotics clubs, side projects in CS (github profile), and STEM-based awards will help bolster your chances.

Given what you have shown here, your chances at getting into Cockrell and Arts and Sciences are slim as an in-state student. You should have a decent shot at the other three you listed (around 60% chance).

Syncrasy

oh sorry shoudl of clarified it
3.95 out of 4.35 or 3.95 UW and 4.35 W?

I can't really quantify your chances at the moment because GPA correlates with your school district. If you went to a top-ranked school and maintained that GPA, then you have a larger chance than, say, a person from a low-ranked school. Although Math is shown to be your strength, your 600 in EBRW is still very low. Lack of SAT II scores may also adversely hurt you. Even though these tests are supplementary at your listed institutions, SAT II's would have brought stronger credibility to your GPA and overall academic mastery since those tests are standardized.

Have you done any extracurriculars, and do you hold leadership positions in any of them (or demonstrate any form of leadership for that matter)? Based on your interest in going into Engineering, extracurriculars like Robotics clubs, side projects in CS (github profile), and STEM-based awards will help bolster your chances.

Given what you have shown here, your chances at getting into Cockrell and Arts and Sciences are slim as an in-state student. You should have a decent shot at the other three you listed (around 60% chance).
oh sorry should of claried it its 3.95 unweighted(3B's) and 4.35 Weighted. Our school does GPA Out of 6 however many of those 6.0 classes are locked until Junior year. In terms of local area i got 15/706 in my class in end of junior year,but i wont say my school is the most competetive in the state . yeah i kinda rushed my SAT senior year so didnt have enough time for SAT II sadly. I didnt really do much EC's sadly, I took 2 CS classes however this year and last year . I also did math club since Sophmore year,however, didnt hold any leadership positions in any.

Thank you for the info as well, and ya i'll probably try to look at the other schools at this point

oh sorry shoudl of clarified it

oh sorry should of claried it its 3.95 unweighted(3B's) and 4.35 Weighted. Our school does GPA Out of 6 however many of those 6.0 classes are locked until Junior year. In terms of local area i got 15/706 in my class in end of junior year,but i wont say my school is the most competetive in the state . yeah i kinda rushed my SAT senior year so didnt have enough time for SAT II sadly. I didnt really do much EC's sadly, I took 2 CS classes however this year and last year . I also did math club since Sophmore year,however, didnt hold any leadership positions in any.

Thank you for the info as well, and ya i'll probably try to look at the other schools at this point
When you mean local area, do you mean relative to your school district or relative to your school? You're guaranteed to get into all the state universities bar Austin via the Bill 588 since 15th out of 706 students puts you at the top 5% of your class. Furthermore, 15/706 puts you in a very high percentage bracket for UT-Austin, who does their admissions based off of rolling percentages i.e. admit the top 1% of students, then admit the top 2% of students, and so on and so forth.

However, my above statement completely predicates on the fact that 15/706 is relative to your school, not school district (or local area).

Syncrasy

When you mean local area, do you mean relative to your school district or relative to your school? You're guaranteed to get into all the state universities bar Austin via the Bill 588 since 15th out of 706 students puts you at the top 5% of your class. Furthermore, 15/706 puts you in a very high percentage bracket for UT-Austin, who does their admissions based off of rolling percentages i.e. admit the top 1% of students, then admit the top 2% of students, and so on and so forth.

However, my above statement completely predicates on the fact that 15/706 is relative to your school, not school district (or local area).
ya it's in my school,not local area,sorry wrong choice of words. Didnt know how they applied that % rule thing tbh as i didnt look to much into it.

ya it's in my school,not local area,sorry wrong choice of words. Didnt know how they applied that % rule thing tbh as i didnt look to much into it.
So by that alone, you should be guaranteed a spot in UT-Austin, but not guaranteed your choice of major (especially engineering).

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So it's been a long time since I posted in this thread, but I'm finally graduating with my English Teaching BA from Metropolitan State University in St. Paul, MN. It's been a long time coming, and I am really proud of my progress. I am currently enrolled for a course through Oxford Seminars to get my TESOL/TEFL certification so that I can teach abroad.

If you are young and you don't know what to do, don't worry - people often stress college as being super important, but in the past seven years since I graduated from High School, I have met many people that make good money without degrees. It's possible. Plus, you can always change your mind and go back to college like I did and get your degree at a later point in life (albeit I went back after a three year "vacation"). Likewise, if you are already in college, don't give up. Don't quit too early, you can do it. The time flies faster than you think, and if it's not the major you want, who cares if you switch majors? It may cost you money, but the important thing is that you do what YOU want to do and become the person YOU see yourself becoming. /pep talk/

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
As a fellow English graduate: Congrats!

As a computer science graduate who is currently job hunting: I would be absolutely fucked without a degree. I'm already trying to compensate for my lack of internships, connections, professional experience, and proximity to a major tech hub. A degree is saving me 4-6 years I'd have to spend in more junior roles to be considered for the same positions I'm currently interviewing for.

Keep a positive mentality, and don't tie your self-worth to your academic success, but bear in mind the practical benefits of a degree as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)