Other Metagames (Anything Goes) bulky attackers with some sweepers

First of all, I'm still new to competitive talk so i don't know if "bulky attackers with some sweepers" fits as a team description...
I'll admit, the reason I chose these Pokemon was because I favored them over others who may outclass them, but I still looked for competitive usefulness. I've battled a couple of times and won the majority of them, save for one battle where paralysis prevented me on landing the finishing hit. Here's my team (excuse the bad nicknames):

spooks (Dusknoir) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD ("Bulky Band")
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Punch
- Pain Split
I chose this Pokemon because it can switch into predicted Normal and Fighting type moves, and has nice defenses. [1] It can serve as a tank (especially physically with WoW) that can hit back and finish off foes. [2] Shadow Sneak is used to quickly faint foes with low hp and repeatedly hit Ghost and Psychic type Pokemon with weak physical defenses but hit hard and outspeed Dusknoir (an example being Gengar). WoW helps cripple physical attackers so I can switch to another 'mon and then faint them. I put Fire Punch specifically for Ferrothorn, who is 4x weak to it and could be a nuisance to my team. Pain Split is for recovery, and since Dusknoir's HP is terrible, I think it'd work. Its Choice Band powers up its attacks. [3]

yum (Tsareena) @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD ("Bulky Physical Sweeper")
Adamant Nature
- Trop Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough
- U-turn

Tsareena is on my team because it has a variety of typing in its attacks, and Queenly Majesty is a helpful ability that can save its life from slower Pokemon who may use priority attacks. [1] Its role is to hit hard with its moves (which are SE against 9 different types). [2] Trop Kick is STAB which lowers attack (which may help with its 'Bulky' role), High Jump Kick hits types like Steel (which its other moves are NVE against) incredibly hard (if it misses, at least Tsareena has the HP EVs to make up for the damage). Play Rough is to get rid of powerful Dragon types that use Sp.Atk, like Hydregion. U-turn does decent damage to types that don't resist it, and is used to escape if Tsareena is facing any threats. Leftovers helps with its 'bulky' role. [3] I like this moveset, however I'm thinking of replacing U-turn with Rapid Spin to help get rid of Spikes and the like, and need advice on this.

puff (Whimsicott) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe ("Fast Specs")
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

I chose to put Whimsicott on my team becuase it's a faster (but somewhat weaker) sweeper that can switch into Dragon type attacks. I also use it as a speedier Tsareena that uses special attacks.[1] Some of the things it can do as an all-out-attacker are sweep foes with poor SpD (and/or weakness) and finish off foes that either resist or are immune to Dusknoir's Shadow Sneak, or safely switch into foes (with HP half or under) that it can outspeed (unlike the ally before Whimsicott) so it can hit them first. [2] Moonblast is the powerful STAB move used for dragonslaying. Giga Drain for a STAB recovery, which can help with Whimsicott's decent defensive stats. HP Ground is used as coverage for types that conquer Whimsicott like Fire, Steel and Poison. U-Turn is the most useless move in terms of how hard it'll hit, but it can save Whimsicott's life by instantly switching out thanks to its speed. Choice Specs improves the power of its moves. [3]

blob (Reuniclus) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA ("Bulky Special Sweeper")
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast

I'm using Reuniclus because I needed a 'mon to counter Poison types (offensively) and to use as a slower but more offensive/bulky special sweeper, compared to Whimsicott. [1] Reuniclus is mainly a Special Sweper that only needs one Calm Mind to at least 2HKO a lot of Pokemon that don't resist Psychic and/or Fighting. Calm Mind can also make it somewhat of a Tank for special attacks. [2] Calm Mind boosts its SpA, making it a pretty big threat while also improving its SpD, helping against a lot of special attackers. Psychic is its super powerful STAB move that could sweep if combined with Trick Room. Speaking of TR, it uses that base 30 speed to its advantage and makes it faster than the majority of Pokemon out there. Focus Blast is used for coverage mainly against Dark and Steel types, which are immune to and resist Psychic, respectively. Leftovers slowly heals any damage Reuniclus might have taken while using Trick Room and/or Calm Mind. [3] (extra: the 252 HP EVs help give Reuniclus a chance to stay alive in battle when setting up Trick Room and/or Calm Mind.)

edge (Bisharp) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD ("Fast Physical Sweeper")
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Iron Head

Bisharp is immune to Poison type moves, being Poisoned (unless the opposing trainer has Salandit/Salazzle) and Psychic type moves. When you add that to 10 resistances plus a pretty good base 100 defense, it makes Bisharp a nice Pokemon to use for absorbing physical hits. Its base 125 attack makes it an excellent attacker as well, concluding why I picked Bisharp. [1] Bisharp's roles are a mix of a Physical Tank, Pivot (with its base defense and typing, respectively), and a Physical Sweeper. [2] Swords Dance lets Bisharp at least 2HKO most foes after one use, Knock Off can cripple the opponent by removing their item (maybe even OHKOing them if they have an item and a weakness), Substitute is used to help Bisharp set up with Swords Dance and absorb Status Conditions, while Iron Head is the powerful STAB move that should destroy any fairy (Except Azumarill, Mawile, Klefki, Primarina, Magearna and some of the Tapus) after a Swords Dance. Life Orb increases the power of Bisharp's attacks even further. [3]

noodle (Mienshao) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe ("Fast Physical Sweeper")
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

My main reason for choosing Mienshao is to get rid of Steel types, which can probably survive the non-STAB hits from the other 'mons I have on my team. [1] Mienshao is the physical glass cannon of the team, hitting super hard but fainting really quickly unless switched out very often (since it has Regenerator). [2] High Jump Kick is the STAB move that can destroy anything that is weak to it (unless an ability or item interferes). Using this move is a risky choice because if it misses, Mienshao can easily be KOed by recoil damage or the opponent's move. Luckily, U-turn can be used (with 252 speed EVs and a Jolly Nature, it's certain to go first unless a priority move is used) to trigger Regenerator and restore its HP. Swords Dance raises its attack, making it super-duper powerful (although I'm thinking of changing this to an attacking move, so I need advice again) and Knock Off is to hit pretty hard and remove the foe's item. Life Orb makes Mienshao more powerful, but quickly wears it down. [3]

Seeing as my team is based around offense, should I replace some weaker members with Pokemon that have different roles? Is there any way I can change a moveset to make a member more useful?

Thanks!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seeing as my team is based around offense, should I replace some weaker members with Pokemon that have different roles?
I was looking for a good way to phrase this, but then you added this sentence at the end that perfectly encapsulates how I can help here. The Pokemon you've chosen are simply too weak to be viable for an OU team, let alone AG where you've got Pokemon like Arceus and Mega Rayquaza that just run through the team. I highly recommend you check out the Anything Goes viability rankings to become better acquainted with what's usable in the metagame, because there's simply no way to salvage this team. The only advice I can give is to either replace all 6 members if you're going to play AG, or perhaps try to use this team in OU (or UU/RU with some replacements, as honestly the team is even weak for UU with Bisharp replaced). Hopefully this helps you out, and welcome to Smogon!

Megazard, thank you for the advice! :)
After checking out the resource you mentioned, I can see what you mean by my team being weak. I guess that's my mistake for trying to go with favorites. However, I have some questions (I feel like you've already answered some of these in your post, but I'll ask for clarification). Is drastically changing my team and strictly following the guide mandatory if I want to be successful in a decent number of matches? Or is it that my current team is terribly balanced compared to others in AG? Am I still allowed to use this team for friendly competitive matches (although not recommended) or is it just so bad that I'd destroyed, annihilated, eradicated, etc.? Thanks again!

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Against any competent team, your team simply stands no chance. Unless your favorites include Mega Rayquaza, Arceus, and Marshadow, this probably isn't the metagame for you. If you want to be successful, then I wouldn't say drastically change your team as much as drastically start from scratch.

Thank you again. I'll use threads like the one you mentioned to try composing a new team that fixes the insane amount of flaws this team has.
although i need to read more on 'metagames', i have one more question: which metagame do you think is more suited for me, based on the kinds of pokemon you can use?

MZ

they're all legal in different metas from OU to NU, so the highest legal tier is OU. However there is no meta that the team is really viable in, choosing random favorite Pokemon rarely gets you a really cohesive team. It's up to you how much you want to replace to try to make it viable, and what metagame to go for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)