Analysis Workshop Project

What's going to happen about the massive amount of Garchomp-related edits required? Are we going to get those covered before Platinum?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rather than deleting posts, we could just lock them (if they are done because they're on the site, obviously delete garbage edits). This way, in case there is a question about something later one, people can look up the Peer Edit. This would make future edits possibly easier, as no one would need to get a mod's permission to read old edits.
This is a very legit concern. I thought about doing this, but it seemed like it would be easier to just clear out all of the things we no longer need. All of the edits that were actually added to the scms were marked with comments that make it very clear that the edits were good, so undeleting and locking them is just a matter of clicking them on the list and locking/undeleting them in one easy swoop. If we decide in the end that we want to save the good ones and just lock them, I made it very easy to do so.

What's going to happen about the massive amount of Garchomp-related edits required? Are we going to get those covered before Platinum?
There is only one relevant Garchomp related edit, which is being taken care of and will be done by the end of the week.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
K, just posting an update.

Looks like 24 analyses have been put up and are awaiting caching from site staff, good job guys! I think there were like 2 or 3 that were put up that were already cached as well.

Anyway, I'd like to emphasize how much easier it is to maintain the Analysis Workshop when it only has active topics.

Can we please get a "peer edit archive" subforum set up, and move all the past peer edits (barring only the truly terrible ones) into it?

This way everyone can see past peer edits and use them however they wish, whether for updating or for educational purposes.

This also allows, most importantly, us to keep only active topics in Analysis Workshop.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just posting to completely agree with Aldaron on this one and support the "Peer Edit Archive" Sub-Forum.

There is only one relevant Garchomp related edit, which is being taken care of and will be done by the end of the week.
Only one? What about the 40 or so OU ones that either reference Garchomp in their descriptions or have an EV spread based around it?

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
They will be dealt with at some point after this project is completed. We don't even know if Garchomp is going to stay uber lol

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeh, that'll probably be a somewhat tedious process as the wording could be awkward in places. But it shouldn’t take too long to sort out providing Garchomp stays uber. However, there should probably be a note somewhere to tell people to not continually post in Small Changes about Garchomp being in analyses somewhere.

Something that could be more annoying though is sorting out minor things eventually, as I’m sure there are small mistakes in the vast majority of analyses in regards to types. (Eg. Grass type should be Grass-type). There’s also the “é” in Pokémon that should probably be edited in every page.

It’ll be a long, boring process and I’d imagine most people won’t want to do it, but it’ll probably need doing eventually.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I'd like to request that when you're uploading that you edit out the Pokemon's name from the set name (for example, "Choice Band Tyranitar" in the Tyranitar analysis is redundant); if you're integrating it into the set name (Agiligross etc.) then it's fine. It's more of a pain to edit the name after you've uploaded it than for you to edit it while you're uploading it.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Only one? What about the 40 or so OU ones that reference Garchomp either reference Garchomp in their descriptions or have an EV spread based around it?
Oh, wow, I'm completely sorry. I misunderstood. In my flying through the analysis forum over the last few days I thought you were talking about all of the various garchomp sets that have been posted. With all of this future work that's going to have to be done, this is kinda making me remember why I wanted to clean it up in the first place...

I'd like to request that when you're uploading that you edit out the Pokemon's name from the set name (for example, "Choice Band Tyranitar" in the Tyranitar analysis is redundant); if you're integrating it into the set name (Agiligross etc.) then it's fine. It's more of a pain to edit the name after you've uploaded it than for you to edit it while you're uploading it.
I agree, but to what extent is the line drawn? If you ask me, many of the names people come up with for sets are quite obnoxious and aren't needed. Agiligross or SpecsMence is fine, but when you get into things like Why Ampharos Doesn't Have Wool (Standard), it irks me.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
The policy is that if the set is commonly known by a name, that's it's name e.g. TyraniBoah. If it's not known by any special name in particular, it gets a generic name e.g. Sweeper, Choice Band, etc.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Update:

The forum is down to 4.5 pages of topics that are either waiting to be uploaded or require further discussion. This is a significant improvement over the 21 pages of threads that were there last week, most of which were good sets that were never even uploaded. It seemed like the only edits that ever had anything happen were the ones written by badged users...especially when it only needs to be added to Other Options. Obviously, people will be paying attention more if they actually have the ability to upload it, but because there's nobody to really keep track of that forum and upload them to the site, most of the contributions go unnoticed. Also, there was about 5 pages of just complete garbage threads that were left alone, seemingly encouraging people to half-ass their edits. The huge amount of repeat sets and repeated pokemon was also a good thing to clear out of the way, especially in the eye of the storm that is Platinum and all of the new movesets that will stem from it. This was definitely worthwhile, especially if some kind of edit archive comes out of it.

Also, Aldaron, I know you wanted to personally upload your edits so the threads can be cleared....but can you do that soon please?

People seem to be getting anxious to post more sets and discussion (which should start happening now that I removed the "DO NOT POST" sticky), and I think we also need to come up with a policy on Platinum sets for a sticky topic really soon. I think we shouldn't allow sets until the Shoddy release of Platinum, because how else would we be able to verify if these sets are battle worthy or not? I don't think an extremely limited wifi audience is exactly the best testing ground, personally.

Any other opinions? I can just make the sticky on that forum once a few more opinions are posted.

Havak

I completely agree, we shouldn't allow any form of Platinum discussion in analysis workshop until Shoddy Battle has been updated. We should probably even give it a few days (possibly a week) after the update of Shoddy before we allow people to post sets, since it'll be more likely that they've actually been tested.

Other than that, this has definately been worthwhile, a clean-up of that forum and an update of the move-sets on the site was great. (Even if my Post-Count went down by about 70 posts :( lol).

Good job guys.

Also, I'm going to be more active in C&C now, so I'll try to upload more things to the site when possible (and make sure to post in the thread if it's been uploaded so a Mod can do whatever else needs doing with the thread).

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Uhh I did do that J7r, lol.

If you look at all my threads, they either have the set uploaded, or I explicitly ask for more discussion / input.

All of Aldaron's peer edits (sans the Salamence one which I am holding off on purpose) are taken care of ^_^

EDIT: As of right now, only four of my peer edits are still in the Analysis workshop: the Crobat and Salamence ones, both of which I am purposely holding off on, the Lopunny one, which I will delete once it is cached, and the Articuno one, which I want more clarification / input regarding the EV spread.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Ah, sorry Aldy. I didn't know they were already uploaded, I was just waiting to delete the threads.

Waiting for a few more opinions on a Platinum sticky topic on the Analysis forum. I know there is an announcement already about Platinum, but I feel like it needs more emphasis since discussion threads have been taking place for a while in Stark.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing with Platinum announcement. If you don't make a sticky I guarantee in about a week someone will post Ice Punch Lucario.

Edit: Wait, don't we already have one of those? What would the sticky say that it doesn't already say?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
No, it would be just on the analysis forum emphasizing the announcement. Titled something like "Do not post Platinum sets" with an explanation that no Platinum-related set could possibly be tested. I mean, I guess the announcement kinda covers it...I just thought it would be good to ensure it doesnt happen =\

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Jrrrrrrr, I already made a C&C-wide announcement banning Platinum sets or changes until at least a month after they're implemented on Shoddy.

Aldaron

geriatric
First of all, thank you Misty for creating the Peer Edit Archive subforum.

Alright, posting an update.

Misty gave me temp mods of C & C, and I went through the Analysis Workshop and moved all the on-site peer edit topics (even the ones only discussing particular elements of an analysis) to the Peer Edit Archive. I also undeleted all of them.

We can now use that subforum as the archive for all on site peer edits. This will help for educational and potential updating purposes. There really shouldn't be any posts in the subforum, since you should make your own peer edit, but just in case it was necessary I asked Misty to allow all badged+ members to post there.

The Analysis Workshop forum itself can now solely be for active topics.

A good amount of the project is now done, so I'm happy with our progress.

Now we just need to get discussion rolling in the pages of topics left, and either dump 'em or add 'em.

Let's do this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)