[AMA] Treecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
how do you feel about the fact that ash's treecko has an 8-10 overall record in battles

its the only one of his mons with 10+ battles that has a losing record

did you catch the gay from tennis. i know you did thats how it works

how long did it take you to catch onto irc? you just sort of showed up and weren't a bad user which never happens. i want it like timewise, yo

also top 10 cutest things
No, he caught it from me.

Yeah, go figure that can actually happen. Uh, it definitely took some time. I went to #neverused and #pokemon a bit for a couple weeks I think. Talked a lot in #pokemon for like two days and then got really bored with it and disappeared. Not knowing anyone definitely made it hard. And then skylight and Molk (iirc) bothered me on my Smogon account to come back to IRC because they liked me, so I was like uh ok and did. The OCN #neverused people (pretty much just Molk, skylight, and occasionally FireMage) helped me feel welcome, and I eventually just kept coming back.

1. dogs
2. bunnelby
3. doges
4. stunfisk
5. tie between me and beyonce
6. jrp
7. patriot's tight end rob gronkowski
8. michelle obama
9. giraffes
10. Rusty the Narcoleptic Wiener Dog

Treecko has a channel?
I have like 6 channels.

Favorite frog mon?

If you could make a mega for any pokemon what would it be?

user that you wish you could ban?
Palpitoad

Stunfisk

TropiOUs

how do you feel about the fact that ash's treecko has an 8-10 overall record in battles

its the only one of his mons with 10+ battles that has a losing record
isn't his Scraggy's W/L ratio like 1/every battle except that one that he won?

w/e I didn't watch that gen of the anime.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1. dogs
2. bunnelby
3. doges
4. stunfisk
5. tie between me and beyonce
6. jrp
7. patriot's tight end rob gronkowski
8. michelle obama
9. giraffes
10. Rusty the Narcoleptic Wiener Dog
Is the your top ten cute things list containing 11 things due to your chronic alcoholism or a secret inability to count?

Is the reason I ask the above question due to being of your top 10 (11)?

What item do you prefer your Bunnelby to hold?

Is the your top ten cute things list containing 11 things due to your chronic alcoholism or a secret inability to count?

Is the reason I ask the above question due to being of your top 10 (11)?

What item do you prefer your Bunnelby to hold?
you try to choose between me and beyonce and see how difficult it is.

n

qualot berry

how does it make you feel that i am vastly superior
lol

Any advice on team building?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a lollipop?

Why is Diggersby used in OU when it's obviously NU material.

Kind of a vague question, but when I personally teambuild, I mostly just go through trial and error. It's a lot easier for me to spot weaknesses through practicing and figuring out what works and what doesn't than it is to try and cover everything all at once. In NU, this kind of strategy worked alright for me because NU has only so many viable Pokemon, but OU has so many viable Pokemon that this just doesn't work for me. I'd recommend—especially for newer players trying to get into XY OU—to try things out and see for yourself what works and what doesn't.

so, the stick? depends on the size of the lollipop, your saliva output, and your tongue size, I would assume.

Diggersby is used so much because it's so ~new~ and shiny, but it's definitely not NU material. Awesome coverage, really strong, and decently fast means that it will at least be UU viable if it's not actually UU.

I figure I'd post about it here (this sounds like a non-serious question, but it's totally serious)

Where you would recommend someone like myself start off on smogon? Tbh I have like no idea of where to post or what to do. .___. I've considered The Smog, but it does seem slightly intimidating to go into something new, and I'm not exactly the best at coming up with new and innovative material everytime, so I'm a bit confused of where to go, so to speak.

I totally know what you mean about The Smog being intimidating. I'm not sure what it is, but it just seems like this huge ordeal when in reality The Smog staff is one of the nicest groups of people I've had the pleasure to work with. Well, at least this was the case when sandshrewz and jumpluff were around (they're the ones I interacted with the most and were incredibly helpful when I was just getting started), but I'm sure skylight and Flora have been doing great. :) Anyways, if you want to have a chat about getting into The Smog, PM me sometime on IRC and we can brainstorm some ideas for articles!

As for your actual question, it's really up to you. I know that's not the most helpful answer, but it's the truth. When I got started on Smogon, I knew I liked NU from experience on PO, so it was easy to just sort of jump into that community (plus everyone was super nice, even if I'd had limited interactions with the staff for the longest time ~_~). For you, just think about what you want to get out of Smogon. There's pretty much something for everybody, whether you're into art (Smeargle's Studio), writing (The Smog and C&C), in-game stuff (Wi-Fi and Orange Islands), a certain metagame (Competitive Discussion), or even just hanging out with other people (IRC/PS!). When I started on the site, I tested the waters and did a lot of stuff to see what I liked. Some of that stuff I'm still involved in (a lot of it tbh), but some of it just wasn't a good fit. I definitely recommend newer users to do the same. Get a feel for anything you think you might like. Even if you don't like it, you'll get to meet new people!

Fuck Marry Kill: Tom Daley, James Franco, Jon Kortajarena. Hard choice I know :pirate:

Where you learned so well to be gay? Some should to learn about this.
Reiku

tutor next badge s/n

3cko n____n

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Celebrity crush, soulmate, and spirit animal?

Star sign?

How have you been here for half the time I have and basically done twice as much? :|

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is NU a reasonable tier to start with if one wants to enter the competitive Pokemon scene, or do you have other recommendations?

Any particular mistake you've made in this community that you feel new users could learn from? If not, what do you think is one of the common pitfalls?

How many badges are you planning to acquire before you've quenched your thirst for internet bling?

Is NU a reasonable tier to start with if one wants to enter the competitive Pokemon scene, or do you have other recommendations?

Any particular mistake you've made in this community that you feel new users could learn from? If not, what do you think is one of the common pitfalls?

How many badges are you planning to acquire before you've quenched your thirst for internet bling?
Not really. Well, to be clear, not anymore. XY is out now, and while it's cool to go back and check out older gens, I'd definitely recommend newer users to start out with an XY meta. XY Ubers is cool because there are fewer viable Pokemon here than in OU, which can make it a bit easier to learn. OU is a ton of fun this gen, but it's not the easiest to learn because there are so many Pokemon to learn. XY LC is my favorite meta right now, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes cute things. The only problem with it from a new user perspective is that it can be hard to transition to the lvl 100 tiers after you've learned and grown accustomed to LC mechanics. Still so much fun and totally worth it though.

Uh, no, not really. I think it was little gk or tennisace who told me something along the lines of "you kind of just showed up one day and knew what you were doing and were cool." I guess I lucked out on being a PO kid before I came to Smogon. As for common pitfalls, a lot of new users are incredibly eager, which means that a lot of new users jump right in and start posting in a ton of threads. I highly recommend lurking the forums before jumping in. It's important to understand Smogon culture as you're posting, and it's equally important to know what you're talking about. Look at other people's posts and try to understand what we're looking for in a good poster.

For what it's worth, I used to have seven, but then I got Toast to get rid of two. I am the Anti-Bling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)