[AMA] Treecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

This Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread is a resource provided to you by the Smogon Mentorship Program. In it, feel free to ask this mentor about anything you'd like. They're most prepared to answer Smogon-related questions, but don't be afraid to ask them about their personality and life outside of this site. Have some patience when you post a question in this thread; it will likely take the mentor a few days to reply. If you're looking for our up-to-date list of mentors, check out our Mentor Profiles onsite. Read through their relevant information below, and enjoy!

Username: Treecko

Areas of Expertise: Contributions & Corrections, Pokemon Showdown!, IRC, Pokemon Showdown!, Neverused

Background: I've written a ton of BW NU analyses and QC checks. I moderate the BW NU C&C subforum, and I'm a Pokemon Showdown! leader (&) and an IRC AOp (@).

Hobbies: I love TV (Shameless, Dexter, Orphan Black, American Horror Story, RuPaul's Drag Race, Project Runway, American Dad, America's Next Top Model, and more!), and I watch it a lot. I also like to drink and hang out with chill friends.

Favorite Pokemon: Bunnelby :D

Good Questions to Ask Me: I've at least tried just about everything on Smogon to get a feel for what I liked and what I wanted to stick with—you can ask me about just about anything, and if I don't know the answer, I can find it for you. My specialties are Contributions and Corrections, NU, Pokemon Showdown!, and Smogon IRC, but I also occasionally participate in The Smog and am part of the Twitter team, so if any of those areas interest you, you can ask me how to get involved and what kinds of things you can do with them. Because I play so much BW NU, you can ask me for advice with NU teambuilding as well. :)

When will you evolve into Jukain
What made you want to contribute to NU?
What made you come to Smogon?
Why did you hax me in DPP LC that is my best tier
no

I actually don't totally remember, but I think it was mostly that I tried every other tier and didn't care for them. Then I found out that Stunfisk was viable in NU and knew I needed to try it. And then I caught onto NU faster than any other tier and just kinda went with it. When I switched to smogon and the NU community (barring ebeast) was so cool, I knew I'd stick around.

tbh I came to Smogon because of PS. I'd started out playing on PO for about a year, and a lot of my PO friends were quitting left and right. Then I found out about the randbats voice challenge and decided to do it because I'd already played about 150 battles on my main account while drunk over the course of a few months, and I was really close to the reqs. I got voice, started to get to know people, eventually got drivers because my swag was too much to say no to, and the rest is history.

because Recycle Oran Bronzor > you

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thoughts on user Soulgazer?

Can I really call you queen bee?

Is treecko your favorite pokemon still (was it ever)?

Will you be gentle?

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
When I switched to smogon and the NU community (barring ebeast) was so cool, I knew I'd stick around.
No offend man ._.

Rate Boku no Pico out of 10. Categories: Art, Story, Rewatch Value .trl

PO > PS yn

How do you avoid getting cancer from PS chat?

Why is your name Treecko if it was never your favorite Pokemon? Did the numbers you used to have after it have any significance or just random?

What's your favorite thing about competitive Pokemon?

Will you play in the next SPL?

Shame That

TAKE IT ALL OR LEAVE IT
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
do you enjoy / are you good at any tiers other than NU?

why do you like bunnelby so much when it isn't as cute as teddy?

what is the pun?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hello Treecko37 assman Treecko n_n

Pick your top ten users. Who is number seven?

Why were all of the other Random Battle voice users lame? (including jdarden)

On a scale of one to ten, how bad is my gaydar?

What was your favorite playstyle in NU?

Have you used that Dubs team at all? ._.

No offend man ._.

Rate Boku no Pico out of 10. Categories: Art, Story, Rewatch Value .trl

PO > PS yn

How do you avoid getting cancer from PS chat?

Why is your name Treecko if it was never your favorite Pokemon? Did the numbers you used to have after it have any significance or just random?

What's your favorite thing about competitive Pokemon?

Will you play in the next SPL?
._.

/

sunscreen

long story short: I was being ironic (and I was drunk), but Treecko does own

Scald

dunno

do you enjoy / are you good at any tiers other than NU?

why do you like bunnelby so much when it isn't as cute as teddy?

what is the pun?
I've at least dabbled in pretty much every tier, but the only other one that I didn't hate was UU, which is a pretty chill tier. I'm not stellar at UU, but I'd like to think I'm at least above average.

shut your dirty mouth

yes, where

Hello Treecko37 assman Treecko n_n

Pick your top ten users. Who is number seven?

Why were all of the other Random Battle voice users lame? (including jdarden)

On a scale of one to ten, how bad is my gaydar?

What was your favorite playstyle in NU?

Have you used that Dubs team at all? ._.
helo

7. is butt

yo, we had a few other good challenge voices. BiGGiE was one! and Jelandee was an RU ladder voice, and he owns.

bulky offense for sure. I love that everything on my team can take a hit. while NU teambuilding, it's usually a lot easier for me to go through and say "ok, I have all of these Pokemon checked defensively" than "ok, I have all of these Pokemon checked offensively," if you catch my drift. being able to cover almost everything both offensively and defensively is really really cool, and for a while, all I was using was bulky offense for this reason. special shoutout to the troll playstyle though. liepard owns and deserved to stay. #thuglife #catpower

Why do you hate Flabébé?

I think your avvy is broken, too much static. Why not get a new one?

How can you even say no to this face, I don't even understand.
?

Wait, you hate anime? Did you just watch the really bad "mainstream" stuff or what ?_?

I wanted to have a third Flabébé question, but I couldn't think of anything good, is that ok?

Why do you hate Flabébé?

I think your avvy is broken, too much static. Why not get a new one?

How can you even say no to this face, I don't even understand.
?

Wait, you hate anime? Did you just watch the really bad "mainstream" stuff or what ?_?

I wanted to have a third Flabébé question, but I couldn't think of anything good, is that ok?
because I love bunnelby. it's like the beatles and elvis; you can like both, but you can only love one.

because I can't afford it. uncle chaos hasn't given me my allowance this week :(

how can you say no to this face

uh sure

yeah that's fine

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Figured I'd ask some things too:

You joined fairly recently and are already involved in many aspects of the site. What part would you consider to be your home base and what suggestions would you have to new users tryin to find somewhere they fit in?

Thoughts on recent Americas next top model season finale?

What are you looking forward to most about your time here in the future?

favorite albums/songs you've listened to recently

if I challenged you to a game of 3v3 adv nu doubles would you accept?

thoughts on future of nu goin into xy?

how drunk are you usually on a scale of 1-10

would you say treecko is outclassed now that trevenant, an actual tree, has been released?

opinions of the city Chicago?

ok I was gonna quote the post but it's easier to go through one-by-one Audiosurfer

You joined fairly recently and are already involved in many aspects of the site. What part would you consider to be your home base and what suggestions would you have to new users tryin to find somewhere they fit in?
I don't know that I really have a home base anymore. If I had to pick one home base though, it'd be my IRC channel, where I have free reign to complain about whatever's on my mind, to hang out with my closest Smogon friends, and to poop out embarrassing gems that end up in the QDB thread. My main suggestions to newer users trying to fit in is to stop trying to fit in. Nobody likes a try-hard; you're a lot better off just being yourself. With all of the different personalities on Smogon, I'm pretty sure you'll find someone who you can click with. If you're trying to find a forum where you fit in, just post in the places that interest you the most. Try out different things on the site. You might find one place that you really like, or you might find 10 places that you like equally. Either is fine, but whatever you do, do it because you enjoy it.

Thoughts on recent Americas next top model season finale?
Ugh please don't get me started with that train-wreck.

What are you looking forward to most about your time here in the future?
Lower tiers in XY, for sure. I don't think I've ever had as much fun playing competitive Pokemon as I've had playing XY OU, and knowing my love for the underdogs, I'm sure I'll love lower tiers in XY even more.

favorite albums/songs you've listened to recently
Lorde - Pure Herione, Tune-Yards - W H O K I L L, OneRepublic - Native

if I challenged you to a game of 3v3 adv nu doubles would you accept?
Maybe.

thoughts on future of nu goin into xy?
No idea to be completely honest. I figure I'll probably end up getting attached to RU or UU because they come around first, so I doubt I'll be as heavily invested in XY NU than I was BW2 NU. Who knows though? I might end up loving XY NU more than the others.

how drunk are you usually on a scale of 1-10?
Gradually increases throughout the day, usually starting around 2 and ending anywhere from 8 to 10, depending on the day of the week and whether or not I have any alcohol.

would you say treecko is outclassed now that trevenant, an actual tree, has been released?
Who cares? It's all about Bunnelby anyways.

opinions of the city Chicago?
Pro af.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What advice would you give to a user who just got on Pokemon Showdown for the first time? It's pretty hard to figure out what to expect of a simulator if someone has never been on one before! :)

Yeah, Showdown can definitely be intimidating at first. I remember my first experiences on PO not knowing what the hell I was doing, and it took me a long time to get used to everything. The first thing I'd recommend is just to lurk a bit. Watch some battles, watch the chat, and get acquainted with everything before jumping right in. Of course, I'd definitely encourage new users to check out the new Mentoring room on PS. Loads of experienced users from Smogon, PS!, and both are excited to work with people with limited experience to get the used to the sites. It's also nice for new users to play Random Battles to get used to the PS! interface, game mechanics that might not have been important in-game but are huge competitively (I'm talking about stuff such as hazards and spinning, status moves such as Taunt that are horrible in-game but phenomenal competitively, what Pokemon are ACTUALLY good competitively and what doesn't rise up to the occasion like it might in-game, and so on). And lastly, have fun! That's exactly what we're here to do. Use stuff that you have fun playing with—if that means stealing teams from RMT and playing with them, go for it; if it means using your favorites, do it; if it means hanging out in the lobby, say no more. So long as YOU are having fun, you're using Showdown right.

I used PO for around a year before I made the switch to Smogon, but the main reason why I made that switch was because PO was getting stale for me. I'd tried to get involved in different ways but found that all of the places I was interested in contributing to weren't interested in my help. That left me to laddering, playing Mafia, and talking to my friends on the sim. Laddering is, well, laddering, and it gets old. Playing Mafia got boring because around the time I quit, there were tons of new people playing, which kind of takes away from the whole experience. Not that I was against new people getting into the game, but taking time out of every game to explain rules and tell people that their strategies are awful isn't exactly fun. And finally, most of my friends on PO were getting bored with it too, and we all sort of quit around the same time. The nail in the coffin was getting voice on PS. In my week or two on PS, I'd already accomplished more on PS than I did on PO, even if my "accomplishment" wasn't a huge one. So I made the switch, got into IRC, and never considered turning back.

Oh, and Mike's videos. :)

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
did you catch the gay from tennis. i know you did thats how it works

how long did it take you to catch onto irc? you just sort of showed up and weren't a bad user which never happens. i want it like timewise, yo

also top 10 cutest things

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Favorite frog mon?

If you could make a mega for any pokemon what would it be?

user that you wish you could ban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)