[AMA] SuperJOCKE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread is a resource provided to you by the Smogon Mentorship Program. In it, feel free to ask this mentor about anything you'd like. They're most prepared to answer Smogon-related questions, but don't be afraid to ask them about their personality and life outside of this site. Have some patience when you post a question in this thread; it will likely take the mentor a few days to reply. If you're looking for our up-to-date list of mentors, check out our Mentor Profiles onsite. Read through their relevant information below, and enjoy!

Username: SuperJOCKE

Areas of Expertise: Contributions & Corrections, The Smog, Orange Islands, RarelyUsed

Background: I joined in June 2010, and began posting somewhat regularly in Uncharted Territory later that year when Black & White were on their way. In, let's say, May I started actively contribute to this site by writing analyses for BW UU; after that I went on to write RU analyses, and then NU analyses as well. Later in 2011 I began my GP checking, and made the team fairly quick. I've written a fair ammount of analyses, and I've done a lot of GP work around the site; I've done so for a while now. At some point in early 2012 I began working with the Smog, mostly GP checking articles. After a while I also started writing some articles of my own (three of them together with my friend and fellow mentor, sandshrewz) for the webzine, which you can now read onsite. That's pretty much the bulk of my contributions to this site. My competitive history as been a bit of a rollercoaster; I started playing more seriously with BW UU, then went on to add RU and NU to the list. I later started to dislike the RU metagame, and I stopped playing it while continuing on with NU mainly. Some time went by and I grew to dislike both UU and NU more and more for different reasons, and RU and its community started to appeal to me once again. I went back to playing RU exclusively, dropping NU and UU completely. If you wanna know more (like my true origins of this site) well, you'll have to ask me.

Hobbies: Videogames, videogames, and videogames. Oh, did I mention that I like playing videogames? I'm also a big fan of speedrunning and I love to watch both videos and live streams of them. I might also pick up it myself sometime in the future.

Favorite Pokemon: Scrafty

Good Questions to Ask Me: If you are looking for a helping hand when it comes to writing analyses or articles, or if you are interested in joining me and my fellow GP checkers in checking other peoples analyses and articles for grammatical errors, I make a pretty darn good choice.

Last edited:

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What interests you in writing so many analyses? You're probably having the record for second highest number of analyses too! Any tips you'd like to share with newer analyses writers on how to write good analyses or just general tips? :)

Also hi SuperJOCKE :D

Oooooh ive been waiting for this one

Why are you a grumpy gramps on the outside and a cuddly munchkins on the inside? :3

Can you show us your scandinavian beard?

The amount of analyses youve written is insane, i think only komodo surpasses you. Is your goal to write more and possibly earn the legendary golden contributor badge?

I just wanted to also say thanks for being a great help in the start of BW UU c&c for me, it really motivated me to contribute to the site :)

Do you see yourself as the opposite of ShakeItUp?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What interests you in writing so many analyses? You're probably having the record for second highest number of analyses too! Any tips you'd like to share with newer analyses writers on how to write good analyses or just general tips? :)
Oh dear, pulling out the big guns right away.

Goodness, I wish I could remember what intially made me write so many. I guess the bottomline is that it was a fun and very enjoyable thing for me to do. I think my interest in Pokémon helped a lot too, since I could never write such things in school; too bad I couldn't take advantage of what I learned from writing analyses here in actual school work since I graduated two months after I started writing analyses, lol. Nowadays I only write analyses if I find a Pokémon I think will be interesting to write about.

There are quite a lot of things to talk about imo, but I'll try keep it short and simple. I think one important thing is to write analyses for Pokémon in a metagame that you enjoy playing. And with it goes picking a Pokémon that you enjoy using, otherwise it will be really hard to write a good analysis since you'll probably not play as much with that Pokémon, hence not knowing enough about what it can do and what it needs to function. I speak from experience on that one. Another good thing can be to look at how other analyses are written to give you a good picture on how one can be "structured." This is not to say that you should follow other analyses to the point, because I find writing in your own way is an important part too.

I could go on, but I think that's good enough for now. If you guys want more, I guess you just need to ask about it.

Also hi SuperJOCKE :D
Hai :3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooooh ive been waiting for this one
I bet you have. -_-

Why are you a grumpy gramps on the outside and a cuddly munchkins on the inside? :3
Well, sometimes you need to throw away your cuddly side to focus on more important things.

Someone needs to keep you whippersnappers in line! You kids with your loud music, fancy pataphones, and 721 Pokémon. Back in my day we only had 151 Pokémon and we couldn't even get the last one! If I had my cane right now I'd show you a thing or two, but I broke that one the last time...

;3

Can you show us your scandinavian beard?
Gimme two weeks.

The amount of analyses youve written is insane, i think only komodo surpasses you. Is your goal to write more and possibly earn the legendary golden contributor badge?
Haha, yes. I definitely plan to write more analyses, though I don't know how many it'll be. Who knows what number I'll reach by the end of X & Y.

I just wanted to also say thanks for being a great help in the start of BW UU c&c for me, it really motivated me to contribute to the site :)
Wow, I didn't know I did that to anyone. Very humble right now. :3

Do you see yourself as the opposite of ShakeItUp?
Ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes, you have no idea... (actually, you know that better than anyone in this place... -_-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)