Alolan Vulpix, Ninetales Discussion

^ Agree with the above post, not only that but a great Speed as well as access to Encore, Aurora Veil, Nasty Plot and Disable could make it a threat to defensive teams. Combined with Slush Rush users like Sandslash and newly buffed 130 base attack Beartic, this could definitely be something to look out for in UU. Scarf sets with 3 attacks and Aurora Veil / Hypnosis could see some use too, but 81 SpA is probably not strong enough to justify it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Vulpix's stats didn't change but Ninetales move 9 points from Attack to Speed. Very nice, but why just 9 points? Why not the even 10?

Type change to an opposite type means an overhaul of its movepool; mainly Fire-type moves (including Will-O-Wisp) replaced by Ice-types (and some Fairy-types). Ice Beam, Blizzard, Ice Shard, Frost Breath, Aurora Veil (which works nice with it getting Snow Warning to replace Drought), Dazzling Gleam, Sheer Cold (though as a Vulpix), Freeze-Dry (Egg Move), and Moonblast (Egg Move).

May not be the fast Ice-type we all want but it's something. Has Snow Warning, STABs are there, Aurora Veil sounds like a good move for Hail teams, and it has some carried over utilities like Confuse Ray, Grudge, Safeguard, Hypnosis, Spite, and Disable.

The Gen 1 pandering is strong. Give Ninetales the Snow Warning/Aurora Veil combo but don't even bother giving Aurorus Aurora Veil.
First thing I thought when I first found out about that move. Seriously, it's the AURORA Pokemon. Even Jynx and Froslass got it.

Hail will probably still be the worst weather but:

Ninetales-A @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry / Encore

Dual screens teams will love Alolan Ninetales. The hail damage is negligible, and it can set up dual screens in one turn.

Last edited:
Definitely UU/BL, and 100% the meta's proffered hail setter from now on. Aurora veil+Fairy typing makes this a superior choice to Obamasnow in pretty much every way.

Also, why is aurora veil instant?

Definitely UU/BL, and 100% the meta's proffered hail setter from now on. Aurora veil+Fairy typing makes this a superior choice to Obamasnow in pretty much every way.

Also, why is aurora veil instant?
Instead of having to set up Hail and then go for Veil, you can just set up Veil first turn since Hail is set up by Snow Warning.

Ema Skye

Work!
I think Hail might still be the worst weather, but if anything is taking it into the high tiers, it's Ninetales. I'm actually really excited to try it.

Right away, I'd like to point out how well it beats most of the opposing weather setters by virtue of its STABs, Freeze Dry and Moonblast. Torkoal, Gigalith, regular Ninetales (lol) and Mega Charizard Y are the only weather setters that bother Ninetales.

252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 104 SpD Pelipper: 504-598 (156 - 185.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 164+ SpD Politoed: 172-203 (44.9 - 53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 166-198 (41.1 - 49.1%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (only Scarf sets can revenge kill, and they can't kill with Aurora Veil up)

Weather teams relying on Swift Swim or Sand Rush sets get wrecked by Ninetales as well, though this is expected. Kingdra and Swampert are 4x weak to Freeze Dry and Kabutops is also OHKOed. Excadrill is tricky however, and will require teammates (Blizzard 2HKOs but you obviously don't want to stay in on Iron Head).

Post-bank Ninetales-A will find a solid partner with Heatran, as they have lots of natural synergy. The hardest part is going to be dealing with the shared Fighting weaknesses, especially as Slush Rush users will only compound it (especially in Sandslash-A's place).

I'm thinking this will probably see a lot more use on Dual Screen teams than Hail ones because, Aurora Veil or not, Scizor will probably still take a metal dump on them. Lack of fire coverage means that this'll be set up bait for SD Scizor as well (you could run HP Fire but what are you going to give up? Aurora Veil, Blizzard, Moonblast are givens and your last move is going to be Freeze Dry 99% of the time).

Still looking forward to using it because, as others said, if anything takes hail to the upper tiers it'll be this.

Post-bank Ninetales-A will find a solid partner with Heatran, as they have lots of natural synergy. The hardest part is going to be dealing with the shared Fighting weaknesses, especially as Slush Rush users will only compound it (especially in Sandslash-A's place).
A-Ninetales is neutral to Fighting thanks to its Fairy typing, which neuters this weakness provided by Ice type. But with a meager Def and the lack of WoW your point still stands. I think that the real problems are Bullet Punch users, mainly Scizor and, in this generation, even Pangoro (which I think it is criminally underlooked).

This is actually great with Volcarona, it lures all the Steels Volcarona can set up on, Aurora Veil keeps it protected while boosting and the chip damage secures some KOs. All while Talonflame got nerfed and Slush Rush Sandslah-A keeps rocks off the field. Psychic Terrain is probably the best Terrain to couple it with, since Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet, although Misty Terrain would provide some nice Status resistance and a much needed Fire and Water resistance, although one more that's slaughtered by Tapu Koko. Dragalge makes a nice Counter to Electric Rain, actually, when I think about it.
Getting carried away here, but keen on trying it out.

Last edited:
This is actually great with Volcarona, it lures all the Steels Volcarona can set up on, Aurora Veil keeps it protected while boosting and the chip damage secures some KOs. All while Talonflame got nerfed and Slush Rush Sandslah-A keeps rocks off the field. Psychic Terrain is probably the best Terrain to couple it with, since Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet, although Misty Terrain would provide some nice Status resistance and a much needed Fire and Water resistance, although one more that's slaughtered by Tapu Koko. Dragalge makes a nice Counter to Electric Rain, actually, when I think about it.
Getting carried away here, but keen on trying it out.
That's pretty exciting, I love the firey moth and I think you make a good point they would work well together.

I believe this is the very first Ice type that I'll legit train and raise (I think I tried with Sneasel but I eventually gave up and used Houndoom).

This thing is better than I first expected, just due to Aurora Veil. A-Ninetails was my favorite Alolan form, so this makes me happy. However, it is still hard to give up such a hard hitting Hail-setter like Mega Abomasnow.

This thing is better than I first expected, just due to Aurora Veil. A-Ninetails was my favorite Alolan form, so this makes me happy. However, it is still hard to give up such a hard hitting Hail-setter like Mega Abomasnow.
Why? Abomasnow hits hard but its Spe leaves a lot to be desired and now it is even worse with the new speed mechanic upon megaevolving. It also has a bad defensive typing that leaves it prone to many priority attacks. It often has to rely on Ice Shard to dish out some damage before being OHKOed.

Why? Abomasnow hits hard but its Spe leaves a lot to be desired and now it is even worse with the new speed mechanic upon megaevolving. It also has a bad defensive typing that leaves it prone to many priority attacks. It often has to rely on Ice Shard to dish out some damage before being OHKOed.
That is all true, but it also has very decent bulk to make up for it's speed, and it has Giga Drain which helps with recovery while also getting STAB damage off. Priority also does help in dire situations, and with Talonflame nerfed so hard, it makes it a bit more viable. It is significantly harder to switch into than A-Ninetails as well.

Couldn't you just run both? Back up hail setting is good and Obamasnow seems like the ideal mega for a hail team anyways

Ema Skye

Work!
Couldn't you just run both? Back up hail setting is good and Obamasnow seems like the ideal mega for a hail team anyways
I think backup hail could be worth it but I don't know if Abomasnow would be the ideal mega.

I think a sweeper Mega would love the hail team because Aurora Veil makes setup easier. I'm picturing hail as a hyper offense team, as it lacks the defensive utility to be worthwhile on balance or stall. Let Metagross set up a Rock Polish, or Pinsir gets an easy SD, Lop can PuP, etc.

If you did want to go more for balance, I could see Sableye being an ideal mega. Magic Bounce blocks Rocks (which Ninetales hates) and it's a decent steel check (especially for Scizor)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)