Completed Alolan Sunrise

Hi yes hello it is me Dylando

I'm here to ref today for Lynn and Maxim!!!

Maxim will be going first.

Maxim's Team

Gabe (Rowlet) [M]
Level 0 EXP: 00 / 10
Advanced Mechanics: None

Serious Nature ( +None, -None )
Typing: Grass/Flying
Abilities: Overgrow Hidden Ability: Long Reach [LOCKED]

HP: 85
Attack: 4
Defen.: 4
Sp.Atk: 4
Sp.Def: 4
Speed: 42
Size: 1
Weight: 1

Movepool
Level 0:
Aerial Ace
Air Slash
Astonish
Attract
Brave Bird
Bullet Seed
Confide
Double Team
Energy Ball
Facade
Growl
Leaf Blade
Protect
Round
Shadow Claw
Tackle
Toxic

Kara (Litten) [F]
Advanced Techniques: None

Typing: Fire
Abilities: Blaze Hidden Ability: Intimidate [LOCKED]

HP: 80
Attack: 5
Defen.: 3
Sp.Atk: 5
Sp.Def: 3
Speed: 70

Movepool
Level 0:
Attract
Confide
Crunch
Double Team
Facade
Fire Fang
Flamethrower
Growl
Leer
Protect
Round
Shadow Claw
Toxic

Nemo (Popplio) [M]
Advanced Techniques: None

Typing: Water
Abilities: Torrent Hidden Ability: Liquid Voice [LOCKED]

Attack: 4
Defen.: 4
Sp.Def: 4
Speed: 40

Movepool
Level 0:
Attract
Confide
Double Team
Facade
Growl
Hyper Voice
Ice Beam
Play Rough
Protect
Round
Sing
Surf
Toxic
Waterfall

Backpack:
Oran Berry
Pecha Berry
Cheri Berry
Rawst Berry
Muscle Band
Wise Glasses
Utility Umbrella

Lynn's Team
:sv/sableye:
Briar (Sableye)

Serious nature ( +None, -None )
Typing: Dark/Ghost
Abilities: Keen Eye, Stall Hidden Ability: Prankster

Attack: 6
Defen.: 6
Sp.Def: 5
Speed: 50
Weight: 2

Movepool
Level 0:
Aerial Ace
Astonish
Attract
Brick Break
Confide
Counter
Dark Pulse
Dazzling Gleam
Double Team
Energy Ball
Facade
Feint Attack
Fire Punch
Flash
Ice Punch
Leer
Metal Burst
Mud-Slap
Poison Jab
Protect
Psychic
Round
Shadow Ball
Shadow Claw
Signal Beam
Thunder Punch
Thunder Wave
Toxic
X-Scissor
Zen Headbutt
:sv/torkoal:
Pele (Torkoal)

Typing: Fire
Abilities: White Smoke, Drought Hidden Ability: Shell Armor

HP: 85
Attack: 6
Defen.: 10
Sp.Atk: 6
Sp.Def: 5
Speed: 20
Weight: 4

Movepool
Level 0:
Ancient Power
Attract
Confide
Double Team
Earth Power
Earthquake
Facade
Flamethrower
Mud-Slap
Protect
Rock Slide
Round
Strength
Toxic
Zen Headbutt
:sv/brattler:
Danger Noodle (Brattler)

Typing: Dark/Grass
Abilities: Harvest Hidden Ability: Infiltrator

HP: 90
Attack: 5
Defen.: 3
Sp.Atk: 2
Sp.Def: 7
Speed: 30
Size: 2
Weight: 2

Movepool
Level 0:
Attract
Confide
Crunch
Dark Pulse
Double Team
Energy Ball
Facade
Glare
Leaf Blade
Night Slash
Poison Powder
Protect
Round
Strength
Stun Spore
Toxic

Backpack:
Oran Berry
Cheri Berry
Pecha Berry
Rawst Berry
Muscle Band
Wise Glasses
Alrighty then!
AzzieLyn23, You're up to send your first pokemon and equip it with an item!
Maxim to send, equip, and order! (Maybe do introduce them to some subs?)
AzzieLyn23 Then it'll be your turn to order!​

"Ah a new player. And a feisty one at that. Let's get started."

First, the basics. The two threads that determine everything about this game are:
The Handbook - This has all of the rules for how the game itself functions.
The Data Audit Tables - This has all of the rules for how the game pieces function.

You will want to have both of these on hand. While this game mimics the mainline Pokémon games, changes are often made to how certain game pieces function.

It seems you have a good grasp on how to send out a Pokémon with their item. Each Pokémon can equip an item upon being sent out if they do not already have one equipped. Basically, if Torkoal is withdrawn and then sent out later, it will have to equip the Wise Glasses unless the item has been removed or consumed in some way. For my sendout, I am sending Popplio, since neither Litten nor Rowlet want to tangle with a Torkoal. However, that sun is a serious problem that will lower my water move effectiveness. So I plan to equip the Utility Umbrella. If we look at the item description in the Data Audit Tables:

"A sturdy umbrella that can withstand even the harshest of weathers.

While the holder is attacking or is being attacked: Weather in play (if any) is named ""Cloudy"" and the effects of Weather are ignored."

In short, while Popplio is attacking with one of his moves or is being attacked, the weather which is normally Sunny will be counted as Cloudy.

Each Round both players set up a sequence of three (or two in doubles) orders. The time it takes to execute both orders is called a Step, while the time it takes for a Pokemon to enact its order is a Turn. In my order set at the bottom of this post, you'll notice that I have typed in to use Surf three times, meaning each Step Popplio will execute Surf.

Unless my substitution triggers that is. Substitutions are a way of allowing a player, usually the one going first, to account for the opponent's orders. For this match, I am using a very simple substitution to start things off.

Non-consecutively, at start of any Step, if Torkoal is to use Protect, then use Confide.

Each substitution, whether or not it follows this format, has three components to it.

The Timing Component states where in the Round a substitution is checked to see if it is true or false. This is mostly useful for making sure the substitution triggers when you want it to and avoid any illegalities (such as the dreaded "time travel" sub, but that's a point for later). In this case, I am checking at the start of the Step, before anyone has executed any orders. I have also added an affix, "Non-consecutively", so that in the scenario that Protect is ordered consecutively and fails, I will use Surf instead of wasting my time on a Confide.

The Trigger Component states what is checked by the substitution. Here, I am checking to see if Torkoal is going to use Protect on any Step this round. I could also cover multiple cases of Protect-like moves, such as Detect, by using the Protective Action Group (i.e. "if Torkoal is to use a Protective move"). But here, I've decided not to do that.

The Result Component states what should happen should the substitution meet the trigger conditions. In this case, I am using Confide, since it is a move that will lower Torkoal's Special Attack even through Protect, gaining me some advantage.

A personal touch I use is numbering my substitutions. This is not required, but is a useful tool to remind myself that substitutions have priority. If multiple substitutions activate at once and cause a conflict over what actually happens, the top-most substitution takes priority and will be the only one executed.

With that, my orders are below. Good luck and have fun!
================
Sending out Popplio with Utility Umbrella.

Surf~Surf~Surf
1. Non-consecutively, at start of any Step, if Torkoal is to use Protect, then use Confide

Last edited:
Oh, side note... You can also sub "At the start of your turn, if (opponent) is under protection, then use (move)" for more than protect...such as Spiky Shield or King's Shield. They can be abused by moves that provide protection against a certain type of move such as Wide Guard, though...

Let's start.
First, we make the turn order!
- first, sort the pokemon by the priority of their received orders, from highest to lowest.
- then, sort any priority-tied pokemon from highest speed to lowest speed.
- then, sort any speed-tied pokemon from earliest orders posted to latest orders posted.

So it'd go Popplio > Torkoal.

As Torkoal comes in, due to the lack of an order otherwise...
Torkoal used Summon Sun! (-9 EN)
Sun was summoned for 4 Rounds!
Rounds refer to every 3 steps. (2, in doubles.) This is a round.
This is a triggered action, so it's not actually your turn...

Step 1, here we go!
Popplio used Surf! (-7 EN)

That blue text is the EN cost. It's one of 3 checks required for a move to be executed. (8.3b, Cost Check) The other 2 are HP and Additional Costs...
Every Pokemon has 100 energy unless specified otherwise. If you run out of EN, you'll faint! So uh... try not to do that.

Now the damage calculation... (Section 8.10)
Crit: 23 (No)
(Normally the Crit Rate is 1/24. +1 will give you 1/8, +2 is 1/2, and +3 is guaranteed! It usually adds 3 damage, unless modified through some ability or effect.)
(9+3+5-5-3) * 1.5 = 13 Damage
It's this, basically...
BAP (The moves Base Attack Power, usually if not always the moves Cartridge BP/10 and rounded up) + STAB (Usually 3!) + the Attackers base attacking rank (Special here) - the Defenders base defending rank (To match, special defense!) + Additional Power Bonuses or penalties! (Multiple PBs or PPs from the same kind of source (Items, Abilities, etc) do not stack.)
You may notice the 1.5... That's the effectiveness tally. Yep!

...Well, it would be like that if it wasn't for that Utility Umbrella!
Let's ignore that power penalty...

(9+3+5-5) * 1.5 = 18 Damage!

Here, the ranks are the same... so there's nothing to add but the BAP and STAB!

"The defender's weaknesses, resistances, and immunities are counted up. This matters primarily for attacks, though some other actions reference the defender's type effectiveness as well."
Don't round until the final damage! You round as normal. (0.5+ rounds up and below that rounds down.)

Check Section 8 if you wanna see this again!

That's pretty much it, since Surf doesn't do any additional effect.

Now it's Torkoals turn!

Torkoal used Toxic! (-7 EN)
Have a place to roll numbers... Ariadex works.
Roll: 26 (If this had rolled lower than 10, it would have missed!)
Popplio is Badly Poisoned! (2c)
Those counters determine how much damage Popplio will take from poison... Normally it stays the same unless added through some effect in a move... But badly poisoned will increase the number of counters you have by 2 at the end of each round!)

It's the end of the step now, since all pokemon have acted.

Popplio took 2 Damage from Poison!

Step 2
Well, Priority...
Torkoal used Protect! (-12 EN)
Torkoal has Protection!

Now here's the kicker: Maxim's sub activates! You used protect!

Popplio used Confide! (-5 EN)
Torkoal: -1 SpAtt, (5t)
This WOULD be your current lowered stat... that 5t refers to your turn. When you end your turn, that 5 counts down. The number is different depending on the move...
Oh, I forgot to mention stages! When an attacker attacks a defender, if the difference between the attackers attacking and the defenders defending stat stages are positive, you add that amount times four after the effectiveness tally! If it's negative, you subtract the amount times 3, also after the effectiveness tally.

But this doesn't matter because you have white smoke to completely negate this! Woohoo! (my bad i forgot to add this lol)

Popplio took 2 Damage from Poison!

Step 3
Crit: 20 (No)
Seeing as it's the same as before... 18 Damage!

Torkoal used Earthquake! (-7 EN)
(10+6-4) = 12 Damage!

Popplio takes 2 Damage from Poison!
That poison's getting worse, seeing as its the end of the round. (4c)

Well... here's the end of round summary!​

:popplio: :utility-umbrella: | Torrent | Tox (4c)
HP 62/80 EN 81 CT: 0 (Neither of you have these yet. Check combination moves for more.)
Att: 4 Def: 4 SpAtt: 5 SpDef: 4 Spe: 40 S/W: 3/3

:torkoal: :wise-glasses: | White Smoke, Drought | OK!
HP 49/85 EN 74 CT: 0
Att: 6 Def: 10 SpAtt: 6 SpDef: 5 Spe: 20 S/W: 1/4
AzzieLyn23 to ask questions if they have any, then to order
Maxim to order
Dylando to ref!​

Last edited:

"Alright Pele, let's leave them shell shocked!"

EarthquakeEarthquakeEarthquake
On Step 1 & 3, IF Popplio is to use Surf, use Protect.
At the start of the Step, if Popplio is to use an evasion-raising move, then Double Team.

Last edited:
Speaking of energy! Let's talk about recoveries and chills!

Normally you get 2 Recoveries and 5 Chills per pokemon! Though some arenas may provide different rules...

Recoveries refers to (most) status moves that heal HP, such as Rest, Recover, and Roost!
Attacking moves that cause the user to heal HP on-hit do not cost recoveries.

Chills are a bit different... any pokemon can chill! It is considered a move blocked by taunt under most circumstances, though...
It costs no EN. In fact, you gain 12 EN whenever you chill!
Some effects of abilities or moves may not allow you to chill. You'll have to spend a turn to chill, and you only have so much...
Make sure to only use them when necessary!

I hope you don't mind if I pre-roll crits...
Maxim's Crits: 13,14,7 (No) ... (Sidenote 1: I rolled 3 crits forgetting Torkoal protects 2 of these! Whoops!)
Lynn's Crit: 21 (No)

Oh, hmm. It appears these are all moves that have been previously used, and there's nothing to cause a change...
Remember! Casual reffing is okay if the round is both deterministic and conclusive! Usually this is for if a move is certainly guaranteed to cause a mon to faint.

Alright, lets get to the round!

Step 1
It was protected!

Popplio took 4 damage from Toxic!

Step 2
18 Damage!
12 Damage!

Step 3
Popplio used Surf!
It was protected!

And it only gets worse from here! This can really stack up, huh. (6c)
End of Round!
Sun's going down... (2r) (This has been going down since last round, but some errors occured...sorry!)

By the way, you won't be able to use protect on the first step next round, since you used Protect on the last step of this one.
:popplio: :utility-umbrella: | Torrent | Tox (6c)
HP 38/80 EN 60 CT: 0

~Sun (2r)~
:torkoal: :wise-glasses: | White Smoke, Drought | OK!
HP 31/85 EN 43 CT: 0
It's now time for Maxim to order again!
Then it'll be AzzieLyn23's turn!​

Remember! Casual reffing is okay if the round is both deterministic and conclusive! Usually this is for if a move is certainly guaranteed to cause a mon to faint.
“For the record I don’t personally agree with this. You should always show your work when reffing so that you don’t make a mistake that changes the outcome of a match. Doesn’t mean you have to roll effect chances for something that’s blocked (like Psychic’s stat drop vs a Pokémon with White Smoke) but you should always at least explain why a roll was not conducted.”

“Anyways, let’s see if we can finish off this Torkoal! See if you can spot the slight difference in my substitution this time around. It’s a small change but these sorts of changes can be crucial in a tight match.”

Surf x3
1. At start of any turn, if Torkoal is under the effects of Protection, then use Chill.

So, first thing that stands out is you used the 'under the effects of protection' grouping, which accounts for the entire category of protects, and you're utilizing the Chill action to regain energy :O I'm not sure what the difference step & turn makes in this instance, if any.

"You tried your best, Pele! Just hold on a little longer for me!"

Earthquake ➔ Protect ➔ Earthquake

Here we go!

Attacks are all the same, so let's just roll crits
(You can also roll crits as you're reffing the move, which is what people usually do! some people even do all the rolls at once with huge numbers!)
Maxim 2 surfs: 15, 17
Lynn 2 EQs: 17, 7
No crits! So everythings the same again.

Step 1
Popplio used Surf (-7 EN)
18 Damage!
12 Damage!

Popplio took 6 Damage from Toxic!

Step 2:
Popplio is chilling. (+12 EN, -1 Chill)

Popplio took 6 damage again!

Step 3:
18 Damage!

Torkoal Fainted!
More toxic damage! (-6 HP, and now its 8c)

Sun's fading... (1r)

Aw, darn. Seems like Pele's done for. If you fainted earlier in the round, the round would have ended quicker, too! Time to switch in and equip your next mon!
:popplio: :utility-umbrella: | Torrent | Tox (8c)
HP 8/80 EN 58 CT: 0 Chills: 4/5

~Sun (1r)~​

:torkoal: :wise-glasses: | White Smoke, Drought | KO
HP 0/85 EN 0 CT: 0
Att: 6 Def: 10 SpAtt: 6 SpDef: 5 Spe: 20 S/W: 1/4​

AzzieLyn23 to send, equip, and order
Maxim to order​

Last edited:

"I think that's just enough for now! Show them your name, Danger Noodle!"

:xy/brattler: :oran_berry:
Sending out Brattler (Danger Noodle) holding an Oran Berry!

Protect Chill Chill

Yeah uhhhhh...

Step
Brattler used Protect! (-12 EN)
Popplio is chilling. (-1 Chill)

Popplio took 8 Poison damage! And it fainted, too!

Sun's down!

That's the round, since Popplio Fainted Early!
:popplio: :utility-umbrella: | Torrent | KO
HP 0/80 EN 0 CT: 0 Chills: 3/5

:brattler: :oran-berry: | Harvest | OK!
HP 90/90 EN 88 CT: 0
Att: 5 Def: 3 SpAtt: 2 SpDef: 7 Spe: 30 S/W: 2/2

Maxim to send and equip and order
AzzieLyn23 to order
Dylando to ref!​

“Oof, this stings a lot. I was unable to gain any advantage last turn, and now I am ordering first. Despite substitutions being designed to mostly help the player ordering first, ordering second is considered highly desirable.”

“Usually, I would equip a Muscle Band here to patch Litten’s Fire Fang accuracy. However considering how detrimental Toxic proved to be, I think now is a good time to showcase the status heal berries. While Paralysis is also a factor here, I’m still faster than Brattler at half speed so I’m less concerned.”

Sending out Litten :Litten: with Pecha Berry.

Litten: Fire Fang x3
1. Once at start of any Step, if Paralysis inflicting move, then Toxic.
2. At start of any turn, if Brattler is under Protection, then Chill.

Reminder AzzieLyn23

I suppose now would be a good time to go over how DQ works. Every match has a DQ Timer, usually between 48-72 hours, where each player is allowed to order within. If a player goes over that time limit and their opponent calls DQ, the opponent is disqualified and gets no rewards, and the player who called it gets their rewards immediately as though they won the match (though some formats like TLG may restrict how much winnings you get off of a DQ).

Technically, a player can disqualify their opponent any time they go over that DQ Timer, unless the Timer itself has a Warning requirement. However, it is usually common courtesy to either courtesy ping your opponent (like I'm doing here), or give them one or more DQ Warnings before actually disqualifying them. This is because sometimes life gets in the way, and we like to be more casual here. If a player knows they will be gone for an extended period of time, such as going somewhere without wi-fi for a week, it is recommended that they post in the Temporary Leaves of Absence Thread. This will put a freeze on your matches so you are not disqualified in the interim. That said, if a player intends to be gone for a month or more, it is usually better for them to forefit their matches so that the opponent and the referee can collect their reward.

And we're so back​
:litten: :pecha berry: | Blaze | OK!
HP 80/80 EN 100 CT: 0
Att: 5 Def: 3 SpAtt: 5 SpDef: 3 Spe: 70 S/W: 1/1
:brattler: :oran-berry: | Harvest | OK!
HP 90/90 EN 88 CT: 0
Att: 5 Def: 3 SpAtt: 2 SpDef: 7 Spe: 30 S/W: 2/2​

Fire Fang Rolls: 91, 71 (They do not miss.)
Maxim's Crit Rolls: 12, 15 (No crits.)
Lynn's Crit Roll: 23 (So close yet so far...No crits.)

Litten used Fire Fang! (-5 EN)
(7+3+5-3) * 1.5 = 18 Damage!
Effects: 7, 80 (No)

Brattler healed 10 HP from eating its Oran Berry!

Brattler uses Double Team! (-5 EN)
+1 Eva, 4t

Hmm, that's rather unfortunate. [8.7] Accuracy Check states that this is the interaction (Accuracy minus Evasion):​
Acc Diff-4 or less*-3-2-10+1+2+3+4 or more*
ModifierAuto Miss-75%-50%------+25%+50%+75%Auto Hit
You may notice that -1 has no actual effect, while -2 immediately skips to -50%.

Step 2
18 Damage once more!
Effects: 79, 57 (Nope)

Brattler used Crunch! (-6 EN)
8+3+5-3 = 13 Damage!

Step 3
Litten used Toxic! (-7 EN)
Hit: 27 (Yea)
Here's bad poison. (2c)

Brattler used Glare! (-7 EN)
Litten Paralysis go brr (2c)

Statuses get stronger wooo
Litten: 3c now
Brattler: 4c of Poison! also 2 Poison damage!

Harvest Roll: 36 (No)

:litten: :pecha berry: | Blaze | Par (3c)
HP 67/80 EN 83 CT: 0
Att: 5 Def: 3 SpAtt: 5 SpDef: 3 Spe: 35 S/W: 1/1
:brattler: | Harvest | Tox (4c), +1 Eva (3t)
HP 62/90 EN 70 CT: 0
AzzieLyn23 to order
Maxim to order
dylando to ref​

My bad. anyways roll high for effects, low for misses

Step 1
Hit: 28 (yes)
Crit: 17 (no)
18 damage again
Effects: 97, 79
Brattler was burned!

Well, attack rank is halved...
Crit: 14 (no)
8+3+2.5-3 = 11 Damage!
effect: 78 (no)

End of step damage (Brattler only) (Burn and Tox) (-6 HP)

Step 2
hit: 35 (yes)
crit: 10 (no)
18 damage!
effects: 16, 49 (no)

Crit: 23 (no)
11 damage!
Effect: 88 (yes)
Littens defense was lowered! Nice! (-1 Def, 4t)

Well since you got that defense drop. it means the damage at the end is now based on a positive difference in your attack and the enemies defense stage! since it's now a 1 difference, that's multiplied by 4!
When it's negative, its a reduction multiplied by 3...
(0 (Your attack stage) - (-1) (Their defense stage) is 1.)

Ow end of step again (-6 HP)

Step 3
hit: 13 (yes)
crit: 3 (no)
18 Damage!
Effects: 94, 8
Burned again but like...it doesnt stack two of the same. so you're fine.
Well. no.
Brattler Fainted!

Also Litten has 4 paralysis counters! That means it... cant really do much when it hits the last step of next round.

:litten: :pecha berry: | Blaze | Par (4c)
HP 43/80 EN 68 CT: 0
Att: 5 Def: 3 SpAtt: 5 SpDef: 3 Spe: 35 S/W: 1/1
:popplio: :utility-umbrella: | Torrent | KO
HP 0/80 EN 0 CT: 0 Chills: 3/5
:brattler: | Harvest | KO
HP 0/90 EN 0 CT: 0

AzzieLyn23 to send Sableye and equip
Maxim to order
AzzieLyn23 to order
Sorry for taking so long!

How unfortunate...
AzzieLyn23, if you are ever to return, then you'll be paying 2 JC. Hope you're doing well!

Progress: 3/6 Mons KO'd.

Maxim, you get...1 TC, 2 RC, and -2 JC, I believe?

I on the other hand gain 2 RC and 3 JC.

Thanks for playing...?​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)