Almost Any Ability Creative/Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just gonna dump a couple of sets that I've been using on a team of mine that I've kind of fallen in love with, and I personally believe they are some great creative sets.

Staraptor @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat

I've been using this Staraptor set after searching for something that could better use Magic Guard + Recoil moves. Brave Bird and Double Edge are both brutally powerful stab moves with no downside, and the ability to U-turn in and out with impunity is amazing against bulkier teams. Immunity to Life Orb recoil, Double Edge + Brave Bird recoil, and hazard/leech seed/toxic damage make this a very nice reliable mon. Adamant allows you to wallbreak better against the likes of Suicune, but Timid lets you tie with opposing base 100s.

Deoxys-Defense @ Mental Herb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt

This set is, in my opinion, the best lead available in AAA. Mental Herb lets you Taunt Prankster mons and end up on top, and Mold Breaker lets you break through Magic Bounce or even Volt Absorb for Thunder Wave. Basically, you lead off with this, outspeed pretty much every lead, Thunder Wave or Taunt it, and then just set up layers of hazards and paralyze everything they try to bring out. Max speed is amazing on this set, letting you outpace the majority of the defensive mons in the metagame.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Electroweb
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Incinerate

A variant on the more standard SF LO Nasty Plot set, this set gives up a little bit of power for reliable coverage in different types, as well as a neat primary stab in Electroweb which lowers speed. The powerful Electric, Flying, and Fire coverage give it a bit of a different niche, being able to beat even Volt Absorb variants of Skarmory, as well as still retaining quite a bit of sweeping power regardless.

I've been using this infernape set that has been crazy good for me so here it is

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Focus Blast

with the ability to run mixed with one of the best adaptability typings out there infernape finds a way to abuse adaptability perfectly. with high base power moves it leaves many powerful walls 2hko'd or ohko'd because of the high base power mixed attacks. It is very hard to stop once everything that outspeeds is out of the way and overall can steamroll through teams.

pros: hard hitting mixed mon with high base power moves able to ohko many many pokemon

cons: completely destroyed by priority

no calcs cause any mon that I checked was ohko'd by the attack type it didn't invest in such as

128 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Infernape Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 372-439 (88.5 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
128 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Infernape Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Doublade: 416-494 (129.1 - 153.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO(this is invested into but 49 base spdef sooo)

For a long time I've been thinking about the move "Dragon Breath" and wanted a Pokémon that could fit it with Technician, or any ability that could benefit it... And I think I found a set that could use it well. Bear in mind that I have next to no knowledge about the AAA tier and I'm just throwing this set out here, so we can see its pros and cons. Here it goes :

Halitosis

Mega Sceptile @Sceptilite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Speed OR 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid / Hasty
- Dragon Breath
- Magical Leaf / Energy Ball
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Focus Blast / Earthquake / Rock Smash

So, why Dragon Breath ? After factoring in Technician, it has 90 BP against Dragon Pulse's 85. Not only that, but Dragon Breath has twice as much PP and there's the 30% Paralysis chance, which is nice to spread on TW-immune Pokémon and, because Sceptile can't learn Draco Meteor, it's the best option we have for a Dragon-type move. Between Magical Leaf and Energy Ball, it's a toss up between perfect accuracy and more PP or the SpD drop. I'd lean towards the latter, but it's really up to preference. I've read that Steel-types are rather common in this tier. Well, Hidden Power Fire just so happen to have guaranteed 60 BP since XY, which is powered up by Technician. Sure, there's Flash Fire to factor in, so you gotta be careful about that. If going Timid, Focus Blast is the way to go/ Otherwise, Earthquake could be used. Rock Smash may seem like a joke move, but its secondary effect is reliable and it happens to be boosted by Technician. Double Kick can be used if you want to break substitutes, and Leaf Storm could be used instead of Magical Leaf / Energy Ball if you want more raw power, but the SpA drop stings a lot.

Counters : Gale Wing users kills it clean and fast. Fairy Pokémons can wall it, especially since most of them have good Special Defense but out of all these, Mega Altaria walls it best, since its Dragon/Fairy typing resists Grass/Fire/Fighting types. Ice-types moves are a pain in the neck as well, and it doesn't help that Refrigerate Extreme Speed is common.

So, here you have it. I'm pretty sure there are better sets for it, but I really wanted a set that'd make good use of Dragon Breath, and Mega Sceptile seemed like the better choice for me. Well, that and I just wanted to turn halitosis into a lethal move in Pokémon.

Opinions and/or suggestions ?

For a long time I've been thinking about the move "Dragon Breath" and wanted a Pokémon that could fit it with Technician, or any ability that could benefit it... And I think I found a set that could use it well. Bear in mind that I have next to no knowledge about the AAA tier and I'm just throwing this set out here, so we can see its pros and cons. Here it goes :

Halitosis

Mega Sceptile @Sceptilite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Speed OR 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid / Hasty
- Dragon Breath
- Magical Leaf / Energy Ball
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Focus Blast / Earthquake / Rock Smash

So, why Dragon Breath ? After factoring in Technician, it has 90 BP against Dragon Pulse's 85. Not only that, but Dragon Breath has twice as much PP and there's the 30% Paralysis chance, which is nice to spread on TW-immune Pokémon and, because Sceptile can't learn Draco Meteor, it's the best option we have for a Dragon-type move. Between Magical Leaf and Energy Ball, it's a toss up between perfect accuracy and more PP or the SpD drop. I'd lean towards the latter, but it's really up to preference. I've read that Steel-types are rather common in this tier. Well, Hidden Power Fire just so happen to have guaranteed 60 BP since XY, which is powered up by Technician. Sure, there's Flash Fire to factor in, so you gotta be careful about that. If going Timid, Focus Blast is the way to go/ Otherwise, Earthquake could be used. Rock Smash may seem like a joke move, but its secondary effect is reliable and it happens to be boosted by Technician. Double Kick can be used if you want to break substitutes, and Leaf Storm could be used instead of Magical Leaf / Energy Ball if you want more raw power, but the SpA drop stings a lot.

Counters : Gale Wing users kills it clean and fast. Fairy Pokémons can wall it, especially since most of them have good Special Defense but out of all these, Mega Altaria walls it best, since its Dragon/Fairy typing resists Grass/Fire/Fighting types.

So, here you have it. I'm pretty sure there are better sets for it, but I really wanted a set that'd make good use of Dragon Breath, and Mega Sceptile seemed like the better choice for me. Well, that and I just wanted to turn halitosis into a lethal move in Pokémon.

Opinions and/or suggestions ?
You cannot change a Mega Pokemon's ability. In this case, regular Sceptile would use Technician but once you Mega, it would change to Lightningrod. You'd have to use this set on a non-Mega Dragon type, all of which learn Draco Meteor and would probably prefer to use it, or Dragon Pulse + a different ability.

Oh... My bad. I guess Sceptile won't be the Pokémon for it... The only option left I have for Dragon Breath + Technician would be Milotic, but it'd rather stall out the opponent than actually attacking, even if its Special Attack is usable. I guess it could go and use Technician-boosted Dragon Breath + Water Pulse for potential ParaFusion, but I'm sure other Pokémons can do it better than Milotic, unless Recover can turn things around. Again, I'm just throwing ideas here.

Technician honestly isn't that good of an ability. There are a few Pokémon that can use it well, but for the most part the Holy Quadrinity of offensive abilities will be better (Sheer Force, Tough Claws, Adaptability and Tinted Lens if you were wondering).

Anyway, talking about Volcanion:

Volcanion @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Sheer Force / Tinted Lens
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 94 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

With Sheer Force and a recoil free Life Orb, Volcanion hits like a nuclear missile. If you don't want to sacrifice Steam Eruption's high Burn chance, Tinted Lens with a Choice Specs is viable too, as Steam Eruption is virtually unresisted with Tinted Lens. Steam Eruption is the main STAB. Fire Blast is the alternate STAB. Earth Power hits opposing Volcanion. Sludge Bomb hits Fairies, although it's mostly filler.

I have a personal favorite that I don't think I've seen anywhere else:

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate / Refrigerate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Air Slash

Noivern is the fastest and highest-damaging user of Boomburst, so I decided to make the move give coverage and have even more absurd power by giving it Pixilate, as I already have a Refrigerate Lucario on my team, though either -ate ability should work depending on what coverage you want/need.

Hi, this is a dead project that somehow manages to get bumped from page 2 (maybe 3) somewhat often when the main thread itself is dying from inactivity. So, instead of dividing the "activity", I'm putting this to rest and am encouraging anyone wanting to share or discuss new/interesting/underrated sets in the main thread instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)