SM OU All Out Attacking OU Team

Thanks for looking at this thread. I'm new to playing OU so I will take any criticism you have about this team.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

So to start, I have a specs Greninja. It's move set is pretty average, and has Water Shuriken if it needs a clean kills, which will definitely help it become Ash Greninja. Otherwise, it can usually out-speed most threats and hit them back with a super effective move.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

So while the rest of the team has a lot of attacking potential, this Landorus is mainly used to setup and possibly score a KO if it can tank a few hits. It has U-Turn so if it can out-speed the opponent, it can setup then get out. It also has HP Ice to check other threats and for utility if its attack stat is significantly dropped.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

This Tapu Koko set can outspeed anything, even Mega Aerodactyl. It is also a nice Pokemon to switch into then immediately use either U-turn or Volt Switch if you predict that the opponent will switch. It also had HP Ice to check Pokemon that threaten it such as Landorus and Zygarde. All in all, if this Pokemon is used in the right situation, it can almost guarantee a KO.

Tapu Lele @ Shed Shell
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

There isn't much to say about this Pokemon other than the fact that it can wall setups with Taunt and hit a lot of super effective moves. HP Fire is useful to common counters such as steel, and like Tapu Koko, this Pokemon is almost guaranteed a KO if used in the right situation.

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

This Kartana has a pretty standard set and two ways of sweeping. It can either setup on a switch and sweep some Pokemon, or gain stats from its Beast Boost ability. And if common fire threats such as Charrizard come in, you can pivot into Greninja or Tapu Koko.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Last is Mega Mawile. This Pokemon can usually do massive amounts of damage with its attacks, then finish off the opposing Pokemon with Sucker Punch. There is not much else to say other than that it usually trades 1 for 1.

And that is my OU team. I will take any feedback for it.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hey CubixRubes007 it's really cool to hear you're getting into OU, it's a great tier that I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun playing. As far as the team you posted goes there are a few issues I'd like to address. A few threats like Volcarona and opposing Tapu Koko stick out, along with a few sub par sets you've chosen. My rate will look to keep the central theme of your team strongly intact, while covering a few more threats and using sets that are a bit more optimal - I'll also try to explain my changes in a way that helps introduce you to the OU metagame as best I can.

Major Changes:

>
This rate has a few moving pieces that all come together in the end, so this isn't a simple swap of Keldeo>Kartana with no other aspects of the team changing. In this portion of the rate I'll be addressing what Keldeo does for the team, and the apparent overlap of roles will be changed/explained later. Anyway, Keldeo provides the team with a solid scarfer that can put in some serious work in the meta. The Move Set I'm going to suggest is Surf / Icy Wind / Secret Sword / Stone Edge with the EV Spread: 252 SpA / 4 Att / 252 Spe Hasty Nature and the item Choice Scarf. Surf and Secret Sword are great stabs, Icy Wind is nice for checking threats like Zygarde and Salamence, and Stone Edge when combined with a Hasty Nature allows you to ohko Volcarona (Barring Charti Berry).

4 Atk Keldeo Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 316-372 (101.6 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Another reason to run Hasty nature over Naive is that it allows you to switch into Greninja easier since you're not lowering your SpDef. Overall Keldeo is a really strong scarfer in the OU tier that really helps this team. Also as I said earlier in the rate I'm gonna be trying to introduce you to the OU tier, and the first little tid bit I can tell you is that Volcarona is such a centralizing threat in the tier that every teams needs to specifically prepare a check for it, and Keldeo provides that check for this team.

>
Mawile is a great mon in OU, however, on this team I feel Magearna would fill that slot better. Although having the same typing the defensive nature of Magearna allows it to check threats like Gengar, Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele that Mawile just can't keep in check throughout a game. Also Magearna + Landorus-T forms a great pivot core for this team that will allow you to gain momentum. The Move Set I'm suggesting is Fleur Cannon / Flash Cannon / HP Fire / Volt Switch and the EV Spread: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpDef Calm Nature and the item Assault Vest. Fleur Cannon and Flash Cannon are strong stabs, HP Fire is to help chip down threats like Ferrothorn and M-Scizor, and Volt Switch allows you to gain momentum getting your offensive Pokemon into the game safely. Overall this swap solidifies the teams defensive backbone allowing you to switch into a wider array of threats while keeping up momentum.

Minor Changes:

I feel you had the right idea when you added Landorus-T to the team, but the selected set is keeping Landorus-T from being as effective as possible. I want to suggest the EV Spread: 252 Hp / 224 Def / 8 SpDef / 24 Spe Impish Nature. This spread allows you to better switch in to physical threats like Zygarde, always avoid the ohko from M-Manectric's HP Ice at full, and creep opposing Landorus-T allowing you to win the 1v1 by getting off your HP Ice first. The reason for the Impish Nature > Naughty is that Landorus-T really likes keeping its bulk up as much as possible, and the targets of HP Ice being Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp get 2hko'd no matter the nature. As I said earlier Landorus-T was a solid choice for the team, but the set was just lacking a bit. Also one other change you could consider is Protect>U-Turn with the item change Leftovers>Rocky Helmet. This change would allow you to better switch in to threats like Zygarde as you can really boost the longevity of Landorus-T by simply giving it Leftovers making it much more useful throughout an entire game.

I also like the choice of Greninja on this team, but I'd definitely consider Spikes>Ice Beam. Spikes are great in the current meta allowing you to quickly wear down your opponents team, which is great vs fatter teams. This change does make playing around fat grasses a bit more difficult as you have to rely on Tapu Lele a lot in that match up. If mons like Tangrowth become to annoying you can make the swap back to Ice Beam, but I'd definitely try out Spikes first as Tapu Lele + the pressure of Spikes should be enough to keep mons like Tangrowth in check.

Tapu Koko is a mon that fits pretty well on this team, but I just don't feel the scarf set is ideal. Instead I would try the Move Set Thunderbolt / HP Ice / Taunt / U-turn with the same EV spread and nature, but the item being Magnet. Thunderbolt is strong stab, HP Ice is solid coverage vs grounds and grasses that eat Thunderbolt, U-turn is great for gaining momentum (while avoiding getting trapped by Dugtrio, which Volt Switch fails to do), and Taunt which helps stop fat mons from clicking a recovery move while also stopping mons like Smeargle from getting up hazards which helps your Sticky Web match up as you're not solely reliant on Tapu Lele stopping webs by its lonesome. Also in the bigger picture Koko was a good fit for this team as it provided a check to mons like M-Pinsir, but Keldeo simply filled the role of scarfer better - so this more "utility" oriented version is the perfect fit.

I like the idea of stall break Tapu Lele on this team, however, I strongly suggest making Tapu Lele max Spe > max Hp. Tapu Lele really prefers the speed as it allows it's match up vs more offensive teams to still be fairly solid. It basically comes down to Tapu Lele wanting as much speed and raw power as possible, as anything it's faster than becomes a target - so you want to maximize the amount of mons that can be classified as a target.

Summary of Changes:
  • ->
  • ->
  • : Naughty -> Impish, more defensive spread
  • : Ice Beam -> Spikes
  • : Choice Scarf -> Taunt Magnet
  • : Max Hp -> Max Speed

Adding an importable, just click on this line.

That's all I had rating wise. The team should be able to take on the meta a bit better, and hopefully you know a little bit more about the meta after reading this rate. If you have anymore questions or concerns about the team, or OU in general, let me know in the thread or PM. I really hope you enjoy using the team, and have a great day.

hey CubixRubes007 it's really cool to hear you're getting into OU, it's a great tier that I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun playing. As far as the team you posted goes there are a few issues I'd like to address. A few threats like Volcarona and opposing Tapu Koko stick out, along with a few sub par sets you've chosen. My rate will look to keep the central theme of your team strongly intact, while covering a few more threats and using sets that are a bit more optimal - I'll also try to explain my changes in a way that helps introduce you to the OU metagame as best I can.

Major Changes:

>
This rate has a few moving pieces that all come together in the end, so this isn't a simple swap of Keldeo>Kartana with no other aspects of the team changing. In this portion of the rate I'll be addressing what Keldeo does for the team, and the apparent overlap of roles will be changed/explained later. Anyway, Keldeo provides the team with a solid scarfer that can put in some serious work in the meta. The Move Set I'm going to suggest is Surf / Icy Wind / Secret Sword / Stone Edge with the EV Spread: 252 SpA / 4 Att / 252 Spe Hasty Nature and the item Choice Scarf. Surf and Secret Sword are great stabs, Icy Wind is nice for checking threats like Zygarde and Salamence, and Stone Edge when combined with a Hasty Nature allows you to ohko Volcarona (Barring Charti Berry).

4 Atk Keldeo Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 316-372 (101.6 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Another reason to run Hasty nature over Naive is that it allows you to switch into Greninja easier since you're not lowering your SpDef. Overall Keldeo is a really strong scarfer in the OU tier that really helps this team. Also as I said earlier in the rate I'm gonna be trying to introduce you to the OU tier, and the first little tid bit I can tell you is that Volcarona is such a centralizing threat in the tier that every teams needs to specifically prepare a check for it, and Keldeo provides that check for this team.

>
Mawile is a great mon in OU, however, on this team I feel Magearna would fill that slot better. Although having the same typing the defensive nature of Magearna allows it to check threats like Gengar, Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele that Mawile just can't keep in check throughout a game. Also Magearna + Landorus-T forms a great pivot core for this team that will allow you to gain momentum. The Move Set I'm suggesting is Fleur Cannon / Flash Cannon / HP Fire / Volt Switch and the EV Spread: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpDef Calm Nature and the item Assault Vest. Fleur Cannon and Flash Cannon are strong stabs, HP Fire is to help chip down threats like Ferrothorn and M-Scizor, and Volt Switch allows you to gain momentum getting your offensive Pokemon into the game safely. Overall this swap solidifies the teams defensive backbone allowing you to switch into a wider array of threats while keeping up momentum.

Minor Changes:

I feel you had the right idea when you added Landorus-T to the team, but the selected set is keeping Landorus-T from being as effective as possible. I want to suggest the EV Spread: 252 Hp / 224 Def / 8 SpDef / 24 Spe Impish Nature. This spread allows you to better switch in to physical threats like Zygarde, always avoid the ohko from M-Manectric's HP Ice at full, and creep opposing Landorus-T allowing you to win the 1v1 by getting off your HP Ice first. The reason for the Impish Nature > Naughty is that Landorus-T really likes keeping its bulk up as much as possible, and the targets of HP Ice being Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp get 2hko'd no matter the nature. As I said earlier Landorus-T was a solid choice for the team, but the set was just lacking a bit. Also one other change you could consider is Protect>U-Turn with the item change Leftovers>Rocky Helmet. This change would allow you to better switch in to threats like Zygarde as you can really boost the longevity of Landorus-T by simply giving it Leftovers making it much more useful throughout an entire game.

I also like the choice of Greninja on this team, but I'd definitely consider Spikes>Ice Beam. Spikes are great in the current meta allowing you to quickly wear down your opponents team, which is great vs fatter teams. This change does make playing around fat grasses a bit more difficult as you have to rely on Tapu Lele a lot in that match up. If mons like Tangrowth become to annoying you can make the swap back to Ice Beam, but I'd definitely try out Spikes first as Tapu Lele + the pressure of Spikes should be enough to keep mons like Tangrowth in check.

Tapu Koko is a mon that fits pretty well on this team, but I just don't feel the scarf set is ideal. Instead I would try the Move Set Thunderbolt / HP Ice / Taunt / U-turn with the same EV spread and nature, but the item being Magnet. Thunderbolt is strong stab, HP Ice is solid coverage vs grounds and grasses that eat Thunderbolt, U-turn is great for gaining momentum (while avoiding getting trapped by Dugtrio, which Volt Switch fails to do), and Taunt which helps stop fat mons from clicking a recovery move while also stopping mons like Smeargle from getting up hazards which helps your Sticky Web match up as you're not solely reliant on Tapu Lele stopping webs by its lonesome. Also in the bigger picture Koko was a good fit for this team as it provided a check to mons like M-Pinsir, but Keldeo simply filled the role of scarfer better - so this more "utility" oriented version is the perfect fit.

I like the idea of stall break Tapu Lele on this team, however, I strongly suggest making Tapu Lele max Spe > max Hp. Tapu Lele really prefers the speed as it allows it's match up vs more offensive teams to still be fairly solid. It basically comes down to Tapu Lele wanting as much speed and raw power as possible, as anything it's faster than becomes a target - so you want to maximize the amount of mons that can be classified as a target.

Summary of Changes:
  • ->
  • ->
  • : Naughty -> Impish, more defensive spread
  • : Ice Beam -> Spikes
  • : Choice Scarf -> Taunt Magnet
  • : Max Hp -> Max Speed

Adding an importable, just click on this line.

That's all I had rating wise. The team should be able to take on the meta a bit better, and hopefully you know a little bit more about the meta after reading this rate. If you have anymore questions or concerns about the team, or OU in general, let me know in the thread or PM. I really hope you enjoy using the team, and have a great day.
with all these changes , it makes this team very chansey weak when keldeo goes down. I agree with all the other changes except Magearna for Mega Mawile. Change the Evs and set for this one:

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang / Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Play Rough

The 104 HP is so you are able to survive an earthquake from Dugtrio and be able to revenge kill it. Also keeping Mega Mawile is a better check to chansey.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
with all these changes , it makes this team very chansey weak when keldeo goes down. I agree with all the other changes except Magearna for Mega Mawile. Change the Evs and set for this one:

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang / Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Play Rough

The 104 HP is so you are able to survive an earthquake from Dugtrio and be able to revenge kill it. Also keeping Mega Mawile is a better check to chansey.

I can't argue that M-Mawile over Magearna would help with Chansey. However, I feel that change overestimates Chansey's ability to beat the team, and fails to recognize other responsibilities Magearna had on the team that can't be covered by Mawile.

Firstly you Mentioned Keldeo as a way the team pressures Chansey which I wont argue with, but it's far from the only way the team can start to wear down Chansey.

Firstly you have Greninja, who I can agree does lose the 1v1 vs Chansey, however, Greninja can simply set a layer of spikes as Chansey comes in forcing it to take continuous chip for the rest of the game. It's not an immediate big hit, but it definitely helps over the long haul.

Secondly Tapu Koko, who I can agree again doesn't 1v1 the Chansey, however, Tapu Koko can simply go for Thunderbolt then Taunt the following turn stopping Chansey from recovering or going for another move like Stealth Rock or Toxic. This basically means while Tapu Koko can't 1v1 Chansey it continuously racks up chip damage helping you beat it in the end.

The team also has Tapu Lele who can actually 1v1 a Chansey. Psyshock has a chance to 2hko after rocks, and can Taunt to stop Chansey from spamming recover.

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 286-337 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So it basically boils down to Lele and Keldeo can pressure it offensively, and Koko and Greninja offer a solid way to rack up chip. So while Mawile definitely helps vs Chansey I don't feel the teams actually that weak to Chansey.

Also if you go with Mawile you lose everything Magearna provides for the team defensively. Without Magearna the team no longer can safely switch into Tapu Koko (and don't say there's a Lando, as that gets popped by HP Ice). Psychic Spam teams (Lele + M-Zam) give the team a lot of issues as the team pretty much has to sack a mon every time either of them come out. It also serves as a blanket check to a lot of special attackers like M-Manectric, Greninja, and Latios. Also the momentum Magearna provides with Volt Switch is great for getting threats like Lele and Greninja into the game as safely as possible. What this comes down to imo, is that an ok match up vs Chansey + everything else provided by Magearna is better than suring up the match up vs Chansey while opening up so many more holes.

However, if you really want to sure up the match up versus Chansey I do have another suggestion you could try. Possibly trying a stall break Tapu Koko over the general offensive pivot set could prove fruitful. You do lose out on HP Ice with this set, but with Lando-T, Keldeo, and Greninja you should still fair ok versus mons like opposing Lando-T and Zygarde. The set is bulkier, uses Nature's Madness to wear down Chansey and other fat walls, and still has enough speed to avoid being trapped by Dugtrio and beat Greninja. So, if you feel Chansey really is to much of a threat to handle, or want the extra assurance feel free to try out this Koko set.

Tapu Koko @ Mago Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- U-turn

Anyway I hope this helped a little, and you get the team working effectively, sorry for not even mentioning stall break Koko as an option during the original rate - that's my bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)