After Action Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Gary

(picture I drew as a placeholder image, it'll probably remain this way forever due to Gary's insistence :P)​

Purpose of this Thread
One of the most effective skills for anyone to have is the ability to learn from their mistakes. One of the most effective ways to do so is to grab a replay of their opponent crushing them in a spectacular manner and seeing why it happened. This thread's purpose is to grab replays such as these and showcase them, in the hopes of gathering critique from others.

Submitting Replays for Analysis
This is the place where people can take a look at how you play and critique you. However, to ensure maximum quality, there are some submission guidelines that should be abided by:

Some requirements:
  • You must include an importable of the team(s) used in the submission. (Use the "hide" tags to conserve space, you construct it with [hide]blablabla[/hide])
  • You must explain in 1-2 sentences CLEARLY what you think you need help with. Basically, you must justify why you're submitting your replays. Saying vaguely "I want to improve my decision making" or "I think my team is bad" isn't helping reviewers with your case. Asking questions such as "I couldn't stop the enemy Greninja-Ash from killing one of my allies on turn 10. How would it be possible for me to better control my enemy's Greninja?" is more conducive.
  • The submitted replay can't have anything stupid on it. There's little to improve on if the replay consists of hax (Jirachi flinching, etc.) or a team that can't possibly be expected to win (i.e. using a NU team against an OU team)
Some suggestions:
  1. If possible, include 2-3 replays instead of just 1. That way, criticizers can get a better idea of how your team operates.
  2. Try not to use this for simple publicity's sake.
Other Notes
Occasionally I may come on and put up a replay. This replay can be anything, whether it involves me or someone else. When this happens, I encourage people to watch the replay and comment on it. If I see enough meaningful discussion going on, I may come on and summarize what people said into one mega post.

With all this said, I encourage you to put up replays and see what went wrong and what could have gone better.

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Let's get this started off!

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-592014049

Importable:
Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Defog

I'd like to improve my planning - I feel I need to do a better job planning when and where to try to spread damage or control hazards to create a win condition for late game. One very obvious mistake I made in this game was neglecting a Choice Scarf Latios revealed in game 1 on turn 20, I should have used Ice Shard on that turn to get off crucial damage. Other than that, what should I have done differently in this early-/mid-game to set myself up for success?

Last edited:

Scotti

we back.

Importable:
Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Defog

I'd like to improve my planning - I feel I need to do a better job planning when and where to try to spread damage or control hazards to create a win condition for late game. One very obvious mistake I made in this game was neglecting a Choice Scarf Latios revealed in game 1 on turn 20, I should have used Ice Shard on that turn to get off crucial damage. Other than that, what should I have done differently in this early-/mid-game to set myself up for success?
There are a few things I would like to say. Firstly, you might want to add a dragon resist to your team. Latios and Zygarde heavily pressured your team as you lack in sort of dragon resist. This lead into my next point, when your opponent has the match up advantage it is almost necessary to make plays if your opponents plays well. You had multiple opportunities to heavily dent Zygarde with Shadow Bone from Marowak, as your opponent definitely didn't want to lose tangrowth there check to manectric. I feel like you need to find the pokemon that allows you to win the easiest in any given match up and play to their strengths. In this match a combination of Marowak and Weavile would have allowed you to win the match fairly easiky. Weavile helped you check the dragon types on your opponent team and could run through your opponent team with Magearna weakened. Marowak was most important, because it heavily dented your opponents team. Late game could have played more aggressive with Marowak as your opponent lacked switch ins and nothing could really pressure it.

1) Make sure you have reasonable counter play to top threats
2) Address your win condition (find the easiest way to win)
3) Make plays if you have match up disadvantage
4) Analyze your late game and look for a way to win.

Hope I helped :]

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

Importable:
Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Defog

first of all let me commemorate the fact that this is post #7400069

i think that you let growth take too much damage. you needed it to check numerous threats such as zyg, trash gren, magearna, and latios (if you got tricked then the latios could be pursuit trapped either way), but what happened is that you let zyg toxic it early game and it eventually got weakened by outrage and sacked. zyg will never spam karrows early game when a mon like growth is healthy. if i were in that position (because lol i always play perfectly) i would have brought toxapex into zyg to deter toxic/outrage, toxapex offers almost nothing against a team of zyg/gren/mew/thunderbolt mage/latios/tang (no defensive merit and your opponent's team was not very threatened by toxic spikes because mew could just switch in) so i think that toxapex was a pretty safe option to sack.

yeah honestly you played pretty well like you were able to double in your marowak-a on numerous occasions, that was cool. you just need to work on determining which of your mons will do well from team preview. hope this was helpful

Sounds like a cool idea, let's go

Replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-591564992

Importable:
Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Quiver Dance

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 8 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

So that team utilises three pokemon I don't commonly use as much (Volcarona, Dugtrio, Latias), which means I probably made some mistakes while building as well as playing.

As for the I feel like I didn't play out dugtrio properly in order for my volcarona to win. In hindsight I stand by my play to toxic mew because it would have been hard to deal with otherwise. But I probably should not have toxiced tangrowth but rather tried to trap keldeo and / or toxic Keldeo.
As for Volcarona trying to set up on the slowbro was obviously a shit play. I expected him to toxic there for some reason and didn't think of twave. With toxic I still could have done some damage and healing wish it up later.

I feel like my biggest struggles have been breaking the regenerator core effectively and utilizing dugtrio better. I'd really appreciate all kinds of tipps though.

Importable:
Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Defog

I'm going to skip the teambuilding part, but, I must say, in the battle your opponent pressured you thanks to the fact that you didn't have a single dragon resist, of course, this ain't bw but it's always useful to at least have one.

Turn 5: It's not as common as oras, but I would still pay attention to a potential Knock off on Mew, especially since Marowak was a key player here, the safest move would have been a Weavile switch in, which would have left you with a Weavile vs Greninja matchup, Knock Off would have either brought Greninja under ohko range for Marowak later on or revealed who was the z user between Magearna, Greninja and Latios.
Turn 15: zfairy+ice isn't really that good of a coverage... Which leads me to believe that Magearna was either z fight or the rarer leftovers one, either way, I believe you were pretty safe here, enough to go with a Shadow Bone, in order to damage Zygarde some more, dude has 3 fire resists and a single ghost resist, Shadow Bone does also more damage overall.
Turn 19: Well... there wasn't really that much to do since you don't have a Dragon resist, but since you tanked that, you should have put into consideration the highly likely possibility that latios was scarf and just go with Ice Shard, who knows, maybe you'd get a crit? Or at least bring Latios under ohko range for Manectric later on, when you battle try to have the damage calculator on your tab, along with "competitive reminders". My favorite would be Colonel M's OU Sets V. Ranking, with a quick ctrl+ f it gives you an overview of the possible sets, and then you can work on that seeing the team and if they lack something (in the case of your opponent, speed control).
Turn 26: I don't think Overheat was necessary here, Tangrowth would still live and regen later on, Volt Switch would give you momentum, you could then try to bluff your opponent by you putting your faith in a speed tie with Scarf Latios, only to switch Toxapex later on, this will bring you two results:
The first, the opponent chickens out and goes to the safest route, meaning Magearna, since you have Lrod Marowak on your back the opponent will think twice attacking you with tb, giving you the possibility to use Toxic Spikes, even if it attacks, Toxapex can shrug it off thanks to regenerator, the other possibility is the opponent uses Draco Meteor, in which case you still lose nothing compared to your original gambit.
TL;DR: by clicking Volt Switch you can gain momentum and push your opponent under two "50/50" with an higher chance for you, since in both situations your opponent will have to risk just to gain a weak advantage, if you lose: you still get this result, if you win: you get to set up tspikes without losing hp with Toxapex, giving you the possibility to tank two tbolts from Magearna later on (or two DMs from Latios).
OT: Since Magearna is becoming more and more famous, I would consider running 96 sdef evs on your Toxapex in order to tank two tbolts 100% of times.
Turn 34: That's pretty much a rehash of what I said earlier, if you were planning on remaining with Latios well, if you clicked Ice Shard back then by now Latios should be either dead or close to 0%, giving you the possibility to spam Ps instead of Dm, there is not much to add by now, in the next turns Latios pressures you and you can't win anymore, gg.

Hope it helped.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to skip the teambuilding part, but, I must say, in the battle your opponent pressured you thanks to the fact that you didn't have a single dragon resist, of course, this ain't bw but it's always useful to at least have one.

Turn 5: It's not as common as oras, but I would still pay attention to a potential Knock off on Mew, especially since Marowak was a key player here, the safest move would have been a Weavile switch in, which would have left you with a Weavile vs Greninja matchup, Knock Off would have either brought Greninja under ohko range for Marowak later on or revealed who was the z user between Magearna, Greninja and Latios.
Turn 15: zfairy+ice isn't really that good of a coverage... Which leads me to believe that Magearna was either z fight or the rarer leftovers one, either way, I believe you were pretty safe here, enough to go with a Shadow Bone, in order to damage Zygarde some more, dude has 3 fire resists and a single ghost resist, Shadow Bone does also more damage overall.
Turn 19: Well... there wasn't really that much to do since you don't have a Dragon resist, but since you tanked that, you should have put into consideration the highly likely possibility that latios was scarf and just go with Ice Shard, who knows, maybe you'd get a crit? Or at least bring Latios under ohko range for Manectric later on, when you battle try to have the damage calculator on your tab, along with "competitive reminders". My favorite would be Colonel M's OU Sets V. Ranking, with a quick ctrl+ f it gives you an overview of the possible sets, and then you can work on that seeing the team and if they lack something (in the case of your opponent, speed control).
Turn 26: I don't think Overheat was necessary here, Tangrowth would still live and regen later on, Volt Switch would give you momentum, you could then try to bluff your opponent by you putting your faith in a speed tie with Scarf Latios, only to switch Toxapex later on, this will bring you two results:
The first, the opponent chickens out and goes to the safest route, meaning Magearna, since you have Lrod Marowak on your back the opponent will think twice attacking you with tb, giving you the possibility to use Toxic Spikes, even if it attacks, Toxapex can shrug it off thanks to regenerator, the other possibility is the opponent uses Draco Meteor, in which case you still lose nothing compared to your original gambit.
TL;DR: by clicking Volt Switch you can gain momentum and push your opponent under two "50/50" with an higher chance for you, since in both situations your opponent will have to risk just to gain a weak advantage, if you lose: you still get this result, if you win: you get to set up tspikes without losing hp with Toxapex, giving you the possibility to tank two tbolts from Magearna later on (or two DMs from Latios).
OT: Since Magearna is becoming more and more famous, I would consider running 96 sdef evs on your Toxapex in order to tank two tbolts 100% of times.
Turn 34: That's pretty much a rehash of what I said earlier, if you were planning on remaining with Latios well, if you clicked Ice Shard back then by now Latios should be either dead or close to 0%, giving you the possibility to spam Ps instead of Dm, there is not much to add by now, in the next turns Latios pressures you and you can't win anymore, gg.

Hope it helped.
Thanks for the analysis around the Overheat volt switch scenario as well as that I should have been more aggressive with Shadow Bone against Magearna. In regards to the Mew, I had scouted its set earlier and knew it was Psychic rather than Knock Off, and for the Latios I had scouted Scarf g1 and made a misclick on the weavile turn. And to be fair, on the last turn I still had a 33% chance to win when he went for psyshock and a 10% chance if he went for Draco lol

Thanks!

Scotti

we back.
Sounds like a cool idea, let's go

Replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-591564992

Importable:
Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Quiver Dance

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 8 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

So that team utilises three pokemon I don't commonly use as much (Volcarona, Dugtrio, Latias), which means I probably made some mistakes while building as well as playing.

As for the I feel like I didn't play out dugtrio properly in order for my volcarona to win. In hindsight I stand by my play to toxic mew because it would have been hard to deal with otherwise. But I probably should not have toxiced tangrowth but rather tried to trap keldeo and / or toxic Keldeo.
As for Volcarona trying to set up on the slowbro was obviously a shit play. I expected him to toxic there for some reason and didn't think of twave. With toxic I still could have done some damage and healing wish it up later.

I feel like my biggest struggles have been breaking the regenerator core effectively and utilizing dugtrio better. I'd really appreciate all kinds of tipps though.
Im too lazy to type about every little detail, but one thing that would have definitely changed the match was playing more aggressive with Volc at the beginning of the match. Your opponent really didn't have much for volc besides scarf keldeo and T-Wave Bro. Every time you brought in Volc against anything other than Bro or Keldeo, your opponent was forced to go into one of them, unless they wanted to get swept. You essentially just had to click giga drain against anything that wasn't keldeo or slowbro, as your opponent had to go into one of them. You also might want to work on identifying your opponent Stealth Rocker from team preview, to prevent them from getting easy rocks like mew did on turn one.

Hope I helped :]

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Hey, really cool project man. Just wondering, are we allowed to post old replays (from the Metagross meta/Phero meta)?
Ok, if that's the case, here it goes:
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-258992
This was g2 for r3 of last ou circuit vs finch. We both had solid teams so I expected this game to be tough, which is why I made a couple of aggressive plays kinda early. I think I had a decent shot at winning the game after getting Greninja's transformation so I played it a bit safer and at some point I realized I was in the back and I couldn't put myself back into a winning position at all, at least that's how I felt it. I don't know if playing it safer was the mistake or playing too carelessly around rp lando lost me the game, but this is one of my first tour games and it really got me thinking. Btw the team is bro fist's rmt and most of the sets are obvious, I guess I'll put an importable anyways.
Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Greninja (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Rock Slide

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

Tapu Lele @ Shed Shell
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:
Hey, really cool project man. Just wondering, are we allowed to post old replays (from the Metagross meta/Phero meta)?
Sure, go for it. Just be sure you can justify putting it up here, as stated in the rules. Also, I'd recommend you don't make a habit out of it. It would be preferred if the replays would be relevant to new people as well.

On a less relevant note, please send a PM next time if you have questions like these.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo
This was g2 for r3 of last ou circuit vs finch. We both had solid teams so I expected this game to be tough, which is why I made a couple of aggressive plays kinda early. I think I had a decent shot at winning the game after getting Greninja's transformation so I played it a bit safer and at some point I realized I was in the back and I couldn't put myself back into a winning position at all, at least that's how I felt it. I don't know if playing it safer was the mistake or playing too carelessly around rp lando lost me the game, but this is one of my first tour games and it really got me thinking. Btw the team is bro fist's rmt and most of the sets are obvious, I guess I'll put an importable anyways.
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Rock Slide

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

Tapu Lele @ Shed Shell
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
I think had you sacked Tapu Lele vs Metagross after the Rock Polish and then went hard into Greninja to water shruiken, you could have forced a 50/50 where he would have had to either stay in or die, or you could double back to Metagross to catch the Lele switch in.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I think had you sacked Tapu Lele vs Metagross after the Rock Polish and then went hard into Greninja to water shruiken, you could have forced a 50/50 where he would have had to either stay in or die, or you could double back to Metagross to catch the Lele switch in.
Yeah, I'm not sure what my exact thought process was at that moment but I think I kinda panic'd after the rp and didn't see a play that didn't lose the game. I kinda didn't consider rp at first because I thought I was ahead at that point, maybe going hard ninja on the rp and forcing Lele in could've given me a better chance as well

Yeah, I'm not sure what my exact thought process was at that moment but I think I kinda panic'd after the rp and didn't see a play that didn't lose the game. I kinda didn't consider rp at first because I thought I was ahead at that point, maybe going hard ninja on the rp and forcing Lele in could've given me a better chance as well
Lele was definetely the most expendable member on your team at that point. You also could have been in a better position if Leech Seed didn't miss, so there's that as well.

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Rock Slide

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

Tapu Lele @ Shed Shell
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
The end definitely could have gone smoother for Mr. Leo here. Before I start talking, I will say two things:
  1. Leo definitely made reasonable moves up until turn 19, so nothing to fix there. He played quite well actually.
  2. I admire the effort you guys are making to get better at the game. It's very brave of you to broadcast your fails to such a wide audience.
Going forward to the end of turn 19, it's now Landorus-T vs. Metagross-Mega. You do not have intel on Landorus-T, you do not know what set he has. You do have intel on the enemy Tapu Lele – she has Choice Specs as an item (looking at the damage from turn 5). The enemy, in the meantime, has intel on everyone except for Tapu Lele – you have not sent out Tapu Lele once yet. What do you do?

Well, there are several different scenarios. But it really depends on what the bad guy goes for.

If the bad guy goes for Earthquake: (Watch this) (Skip to turn 5, everything prior is all setup)
  • If the bad guy goes for Earthquake, you can just chill. As demonstrated in the replay provided, Greninja-Ash will handedly win the match for you. Psychic Terrain or not. Ez pz lemon squeezy.
However, the bad guy did not go for Earthquake, but rather Rock Polished. You still very easily could have won, however.

If you watch turn 20 of your replay (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-258992) and continue watching until turn 23:
Turn 20

Metagross used Meteor Mash!
The opposing Landorus lost 54.9% of its health!
Metagross's Attack rose!

The opposing Landorus used Rock Polish!
The opposing Landorus's Speed rose sharply!
Turn 21

The opposing Landorus used Earthquake!
It's super effective! Metagross lost 71.1% of its health!

Metagross fainted!

Go! Tapu Lele!
Tapu Lele is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 22

The opposing Landorus surrounded itself with its Z-Power!

The opposing Landorus unleashes its full-force Z-Move!
The opposing Landorus used Continental Crush!
Tapu Lele lost 83.6% of its health!

Tapu Lele fainted!

The weirdness disappeared from the battlefield!

Go! Greninja (Greninja-Ash)!
Greninja is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 23
☆Leooo_33: gg

Greninja used Water Shuriken!
It's super effective! The opposing Landorus lost 45.1% of its health!
Hit 1 time!

The opposing Landorus fainted!

FINCHINATOR sent out Tapu Lele!
The opposing Tapu Lele is hurt by the spikes!
[Opposing Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge!]
The battlefield got weird!

I have NO IDEA why you sacrificed Tapu Lele, it was completely unneeded. Watch this replay: As shown in the replay, Landorus-T got Water Shurikened even though there was Psychic Terrain up. You did not have to wait for Psychic Terrain to expire.

I don't know if you knew, but Psychic Terrain does not protect Pokémon if they are either Flying-type or have Levitate (and are not Smack Downed). You definitely could have won, had it not been for that misplay. What you SHOULD have done is sacrificed Metagross-Mega, then go for the Water Shuriken (because Landorus-T will still be affected). This replay shows how it SHOULD have gone. (Skip to Turn 7, everything prior is setup)

Again, you had NO REASON to sacrifice Tapu Lele, and that was ultimately what cost you the game. Other than that, everything else seemed pretty solid.

EDIT: In all the sample replays, Leo was represented Counter Terrorist and Finchinator was represented the Terorist. Yes, I play too much CS:GO.

EDIT 2: I decided to try something new, and when people post replays asking for help, I was wondering if this approach would be suitable for teaching. I do think it was a little messy, so feedback and improvement is appreciated.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
The end definitely could have gone smoother for Mr. Leo here. Before I start talking, I will say two things:
  1. Leo definitely made reasonable moves up until turn 19, so nothing to fix there. He played quite well actually.
  2. I admire the effort you guys are making to get better at the game. It's very brave of you to broadcast your fails to such a wide audience.
Going forward to the end of turn 19, it's now Landorus-T vs. Metagross-Mega. You do not have intel on Landorus-T, you do not know what set he has. You do have intel on the enemy Tapu Lele – she has Choice Specs as an item (looking at the damage from turn 5). The enemy, in the meantime, has intel on everyone except for Tapu Lele – you have not sent out Tapu Lele once yet. What do you do?

Well, there are several different scenarios. But it really depends on what the bad guy goes for.

If the bad guy goes for Earthquake: (Watch this) (Skip to turn 5, everything prior is all setup)
  • If the bad guy goes for Earthquake, you can just chill. As demonstrated in the replay provided, Greninja-Ash will handedly win the match for you. Psychic Terrain or not. Ez pz lemon squeezy.
However, the bad guy did not go for Earthquake, but rather Rock Polished. You still very easily could have won, however.

If you watch turn 20 of your replay (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-258992) and continue watching until turn 23:
Turn 20

Metagross used Meteor Mash!
The opposing Landorus lost 54.9% of its health!
Metagross's Attack rose!

The opposing Landorus used Rock Polish!
The opposing Landorus's Speed rose sharply!
Turn 21

The opposing Landorus used Earthquake!
It's super effective! Metagross lost 71.1% of its health!

Metagross fainted!

Go! Tapu Lele!
Tapu Lele is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 22

The opposing Landorus surrounded itself with its Z-Power!

The opposing Landorus unleashes its full-force Z-Move!
The opposing Landorus used Continental Crush!
Tapu Lele lost 83.6% of its health!

Tapu Lele fainted!

The weirdness disappeared from the battlefield!

Go! Greninja (Greninja-Ash)!
Greninja is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 23
☆Leooo_33: gg

Greninja used Water Shuriken!
It's super effective! The opposing Landorus lost 45.1% of its health!
Hit 1 time!

The opposing Landorus fainted!

FINCHINATOR sent out Tapu Lele!
The opposing Tapu Lele is hurt by the spikes!
[Opposing Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge!]
The battlefield got weird!

I have NO IDEA why you sacrificed Tapu Lele, it was completely unneeded. Watch this replay: As shown in the replay, Landorus-T got Water Shurikened even though there was Psychic Terrain up.

I don't know if you knew, but Psychic Terrain does not protect Pokémon if they are either Flying-type or have Levitate (and are not Smack Downed). You definitely could have won, had it not been for that misplay. This replay shows how it SHOULD have gone. (Skip to Turn 7, everything prior is setup)

Again, you had NO REASON to sacrifice Tapu Lele, and that was ultimately what cost you the game. Other than that, everything else seemed pretty solid.

EDIT: In all the sample replays, Leo was represented Counter Terrorist and Finchinator was represented the Terorist. Yes, I play too much CS:GO.
Yo thanks for the work you put in your reply, replays were cool. Yeah I agree, there's so much I could've done better in that endgame lol, I think I was just nervous at that time and prayed for Lele to live or something. I'm pretty sure I was aware that Lando could be hit by Shuriken at that time although I may have forgotten about that for a sec during that game because the rp took me off guard. Thanks for the feedback and keep it up with this project :]

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-595750437 - An Example of how team plays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-595747491 - Replay that I would like analyzed

Hey guys so I've been laddering and I ran into sticky webs. would like to know how I could have played around the webs and the Gyarados better. I know I couldn't prevent them since the Shuckle had mental herb and I couldn't get rid of them cause I replace my defogger Latios for Lele to help with stall. Also during that match, I was thinking it was Flyium Z Gyrados.

https://pastebin.com/hAVXVYT7 - The Team

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-595750437 - An Example of how team plays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-595747491 - Replay that I would like analyzed

Hey guys so I've been laddering and I ran into sticky webs. would like to know how I could have played around the webs and the Gyarados better. I know I couldn't prevent them since the Shuckle had mental herb and I couldn't get rid of them cause I replace my defogger Latios for Lele to help with stall. Also during that match, I was thinking it was Flyium Z Gyrados.

Hi. The issue with Webs seems to be primarily a match-up issue. Some teams are just an auto-win for Sticky Web, yours unfortunately being one of them due to lack of hazard control.

Maybe this isn't the appropriate place to suggest it, but after viewing the replay, and your team composition, I believe that putting back defogger Latios would be a good decision so you also can better manage spikes stacking offense, a very popular play-style on the ladder. To compensate, Heatran can be changed towards a trapper+stall breaker set with Magma Storm+Taunt

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
The big giveaway that it wasn't Flynium Z Gyara was that he had no other mega and 3 other very competent Z-move users in Lele, Kartana, and Lando-T. Mimikyu can also run it if it has to.

As for stopping MGyara, I would have kept Tangrowth healthy instead of having it eat attacks from Kartana and Tapu Lele, switching to Magearna or Heatran instead.

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion

While your webs matchup is indeed almost unwinnable, I still think you could've made some better plays throughout your game so I'll try to give you my perspective. First of all, I wouldn't have led Tapu Koko. Shuckle always runs Mental herb on webs so giving it a free turn 1 isn't the best idea. Instead, a Heatran lead could've given you a decent advantage because Shuckle can't break the sub and your opp wasn't likely to Encore turn 1 predicting Substitue because you could've used Taunt twice if you were a Taunt variant. After Shuckle gets rocks and webs up and dies, you have a Heatran p much at full behind a sub so your opponent would be forced into Gyarados to break the Sub while taking a Toxic (Mimikyu is supposed to be Red Card so your opp could've sent Mimikyu for a free SD, tho at that point you should be able to handle a +2 mimik without disguise). This isn't a necessarily winning position but it's better than the scenario after a Koko lead. Back to your game, nothing relevant happens until turn 9. After taking a Smart Strike from Kartana, you stay in with Tangrowth to HP Fire it. This is a pretty safe move I guess but you're already in the back because your opp got his webs up so you kinda have to make some aggresive plays at this point, staying in with Tangrowth invites Gyarados for example, for a free dd (at this point you don't know it's mega so you can't afford to let it come in). It's not like it's something you can't handke but you can't give your opponent the opportunity to start punching holes on your team. Instead, your opponent went Lele as you stayed in which reveals that it's mega gyara (basically he didn't go gyara for a free dd and it also makes sense because he doesnt have any other mega and does hace other z move users). Even if you didn't know for sure that it was mgyara, switching out tang vs Lele on that turn was the better play because you had a hp invested tran to switch into Lele and Tangrowth also dealt with Kartana without any boosts. After sacking Tang, you go Mage and try to SG, which is a fair play because you didn't know it was Taunt, although the damage on Tang should've revealed that it wasn't choiced and most non-choiced Leles run Taunt. Next you go Heatran and finish off Lele, which ends uo giving Gyarados a almost free dd and the game is over at that point. I don't know if there's much you could've done at this point, maybe staying in vs Lele with Mage instead of going tran was better because your opp had a Scarf Lando which needed very little chip to revenge +2 Mage with EQ, so saving it for a late SG didn't make too much sense. After Lele fainted your opp could go either Lando-T or Mimikyu, both of which you beat 1v1 after taking a Psyshock. I could go on about this position but it would take kinda long to go through the most relevant scenarios because there are a bunch of mons left but I think you were still a at a decentish position.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I honestly don't remember too much how to build a team properly, so I took PokeaimMD's team in Mega Altaria showcase video you can see there

The replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-617731077

And of course, the importable

Cielo (Altaria-Mega) (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Gir (Magnezone) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Diego (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 28 SpD / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Airlines (Latios) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Defog

Magic (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump

Bellatrix (Celesteela) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 56 HP / 20 Atk / 240 SpA / 192 Spe
Mild Nature
- Autotomize
- Earthquake
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain

Maybe it's because I didn't build the team, so I'm not that sure how the team works or the fact I'm overthinking, giving as result bad choices, like for example Turn 4 when I chose to use Earthquake instead U-turn thinking he'd bring Toxapex because there won't be any reason for him to keep his Landorus-T there, or Turn 10 when I didn't use Gigavolt Havoc, fearing he'd bring Excadrill... Or Turn 11 when I didn't used Thunderbolt again fearing Magnezone this time and for some reason I thought Flash Cannon was the safest choice

First: How do I know which is the safest choice in a moment? I think that's my main problem, and Second: Which are the main troubles of this team? (Probably not the place to ask this, but well, I can try at least lol) and which would be the best way to play aroudn those threats

I'll try to ladder more (I'm a bit rusty as you can see) to show better replays, if I'm not being specific enough, please let me know

Last edited:

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Well first, you won that battle without a ton of trouble, so congrats. For Turn 4, he already revealed HP Ice on Celesteela, so there was no reason for him to switch into Pex when he switched in his Lando-T. For turn 9, your opponent should have switched in Drill on Magnezone instead of Toxapex. Sub + Tbolt was the right play there because your opponent had Drill as a good check to Zone and should have used it. Usually the safest play is not predicting at all unless you are at a disadvantage. Rain is a good matchup against this team so play smartly with Lando-T to stall out rain turns if possible. It's a good team, just keep practicing with it and you should be fine.

I honestly don't remember too much how to build a team properly, so I took PokeaimMD's team in Mega Altaria showcase video you can see there

The replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-617731077

And of course, the importable

Cielo (Altaria-Mega) (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Gir (Magnezone) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Diego (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 28 SpD / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Airlines (Latios) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Defog

Magic (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump

Bellatrix (Celesteela) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 56 HP / 20 Atk / 240 SpA / 192 Spe
Mild Nature
- Autotomize
- Earthquake
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain

Maybe it's because I didn't build the team, so I'm not that sure how the team works or the fact I'm overthinking, giving as result bad choices, like for example Turn 4 when I chose to use Earthquake instead U-turn thinking he'd bring Toxapex because there won't be any reason for him to keep his Landorus-T there, or Turn 10 when I didn't use Gigavolt Havoc, fearing he'd bring Excadrill... Or Turn 11 when I didn't used Thunderbolt again fearing Magnezone this time and for some reason I thought Flash Cannon was the safest choice

First: How do I know which is the safest choice in a moment? I think that's my main problem, and Second: Which are the main troubles of this team? (Probably not the place to ask this, but well, I can try at least lol) and which would be the best way to play aroudn those threats

I'll try to ladder more (I'm a bit rusty as you can see) to show better replays, if I'm not being specific enough, please let me know
Good of you to include thought process. Makes job a lot easier.

Question one: How do you know which is the safest move? This question is one with a very long answer. I'll try to explain the best I can.

The safest move depends on intel both you and your enemy have, and the most threatening mons your enemy has against you. The safest move generally is one that will put you ahead of your opponent. The exact move varies per game, but generally, when you're deciding your next safe move, consider the following questions:
  • Does the enemy have a threat that will do heavy damage if I let it in freely?
  • Do I have a threat that can do heavy damage to the enemy?
  • If I am going to predict, what's the reason for it?
  • What's my way of winning the game? (Answer this question after the opening phase is made and trades have been made)
  • What's my opponent's optimal move?
  • What intel do I have against my enemy, and what intel does my enemy have on me?
  • Am I thinking too hard about this?
Analyzing the situation in this manner can help you get a better grasp of the situation, but it's important not to rely too much on this. A lot of playing mons comes down to instinct, because game theory is largely irrelevant in Pokémon. This is a game where your opponent can be rewarded for making a bad play, after all – not to mention the plethora of guessing games involved and random misses/crits involved. Hence, analyzing the best most comes with practice, because the ability to tell what your opponent is planning and the ability to formulate a great plan is one that is yielded by playing the game a lot. You are on a timer, after all – the less time you spend thinking and the more time you spend doing, the better.

Question two: Is it a good team?

The answer would most likely be yes. The builder clearly knows the meta well. I wouldn't suggest any changes, as I don't want to inhibit Altaria's ability to setup and win.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-624853225
What could I have done to avoid losing to Manaphy? It literally 2hkoed every member on my team. Or it it just one of those matchups where stall's answer is clicking the x button?
Turn 18: You chould have used Earthquake instead Reversal to Keep Dugtrio healthy, Mega Tyranitar wasn't behind Aurora Veil so it probably couldn't have taken this hit. After then, keeping it healthy when Manaphy tries its sweep

Remember: if it uses Z-Rain Dance, it'd be quicker than Dugtrio, so the best choice would be using Reversal. if Manaphy didn't use Z-Rain Dance, the best choice would be Earthquake and then Reversal, assuming Manaphy hasn't been KO'd

And that's really important: Defog away this Aurora Veil, without that, this added bulk could let Manaphy resist both attacks

Or at least that's what I would do, idk if somene else wants to add something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)