Gen 3 ADV OU: Boldmie Yama TSS

Hello friends! I'm relatively new to ADV OU but I built myself a team. I haven't gotten to high on ladder but that's probably a combination of inexperience in playing the tier and in the teambuilder. I really wanted to build a TSS team that included Knock Off to worsen the opposing team's longevity even further.

Rationale for choosing each member:
1697506686226.png
1697506689602.png
1697506694417.png
1697506692147.png
1697506696830.png
1697506700547.png

I started the team off with bulky leftovers Hariyama. Maxed out defenses were chosen as its HP stat was already significantly higher than its defenses, therefore giving defense investment more value in terms of strict mixed bulk. I then added leftovers physical attacker Tyranitar as the lead in order to set up sand as quickly as possible to allow for maximum passive damage. The tried-and-true SkarmBliss core is used for their fantastic synergy as a mixed walling duo. Bold Starmie is used for additional support against physical attackers and rapid spin to relieve spikes pressure from its teammates. Swampert rounds out the team as a bulky physical wall.

Sets:
1697506686226.png

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Focus Punch

This Tyranitar set functions as the team's lead and is meant to generally dish out consistent damage while maintaining longevity due to Leftovers. It is placed in the lead slot to guarantee sand being up for as long as possible in the battle. Rock Slide is used for STAB, and Earthquake is a great coverage compliment to Rock Slide. Hidden Power Bug is mainly meant to hit Celebi, while Focus Punch can be used on a prediction to hit Swampert and Skarmory hard.
1697506689602.png

Hit and Run (Hariyama) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Whirlwind

This Hariyama is meant to stick around and click Knock Off. The defense investment is the most optimal way to maximize mixed bulk because of Hariyama's stat distribution with low defense and high HP. Brick Break is used for STAB and to hit things like Lax, Ttar, and Blissey. Rock Slide is to ensure that Hariyama can hit flying types like Moltres or Zapdos for decent damage, while Whirlwind is used to phaze out boosters or rack up Spikes and Sandstorm damage.
1697506694417.png

Fort Knox (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Roar
- Protect
- Toxic

A pretty generic Skarmory set. It runs Max Spdef as it already has great physical bulk. Spikes are broken Spikes, Roar allows for phazing and chip damage, Protect allows for Leftovers recovery and moveset scouting, while Toxic puts opponents on a timer. Skarm is one part of the SkarmBliss core that helps keep the team together in the face of a myriad of ADV OU's threats.
1697506692147.png

:) (Blissey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Wish

This set runs Softboiled to heal itself consistently during the game, while Wish is a backup healing move in a pinch. Wish is also greatly appreciated by the the rest of the team for helping mons with no other form of recovery healthy, such as Yama, Skarm, or Pert. It also ensures that the team almost always has a good way to deal with status, forming a double Natural Cure core with Starmie.
1697506696830.png

Patrick (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 40 SpA / 32 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Bulky Bold Starmie is a temporary stopgap against several physical attackers, and also staves off Swampert for the rest of the team. Surf is used for its high PP and consistent damage. Thunder Wave helps to cripple certain foes and makes it easier for Starmie and its teammates to deal with opposing threats. Rapid Spin removes Spikes, a form of pressure on its teammates. Recover is the 32 PP ADV recover.
1697506700547.png

Bonus Ducks (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Hydro Pump

A secondary physical wall to ease the pressure on Skarmory, as well as a great defensive Pokemon in its own right. Swampert uses Earthquake for reliable physical STAB, Ice Beam to hit Grasses and things like Salamence, Protect to squeeze as much leftovers recovery as possible and to scout for dangerous moves like Hidden Power Grass or Explosion, and Hydro Pump provides a form of secondary special STAB.

Team Paste: https://pokepast.es/cdc30f22757afc75

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Hello. The team's quite precarious against earthquake if Skarmory is taken out, and you're also particularly prone to getting abused by fighters.

The easiest changes are moveset changes. Give Blissey Ice Beam, probably over Toxic (look at the smogon dex set for this), and give Skarmory Drill Peck over Toxic. This will also help you against Gengar.

With Knock Off, you also pressure Skarm better, so you can drop Hydro Pump for Curse on Swampert. This makes you stronger vs Suicune and Starmie.

HP Bug is generally more useful than Rock Slide on Hariyama as recover mons which don't mind taking Knock Off like Celebi and Starmie are weak to it.

Of course, more radical changes involve changing the Pokemon. You can consider Salamence > Skarmory. Usually people like Mixed, but CB might be possible too. Sometimes, defensive Wish works as well.

You can also do Metagross > Swampert, lightening the physically defensive load on Tyranitar. In that case, then you can use DDTar especially for sweeping CM offenses.

Hope that helps.

The main reason I wanted full defense blissey is that it can beat Dugtrio if it toxics it on the switch or at full health. What does Ice Beam Blissey without any HP investment specifically help with? Also, how does Curse pert make me stronger vs Suicune and Starmie?

If I went the Metagross route, which Metagross set would I use?

Last edited:

vapicuno

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
The main reason I wanted full defense blissey is that it can beat Dugtrio if it toxics it on the switch or at full health. What does Blissey specifically help with? Also, how does Curse pert make me stronger vs Suicune and Starmie?

If I went the Metagross route, which Metagross set would I use?
Dugtrios that are really interested to trap Blissey will find some way to come in safely and never give you that opportunity anyway. Blissey helps with all specially offensive Pokemon. Curse overcomes their recovery moves. Protect Metagross probably.

vapicuno

Better. You can still use Protect on Swampert if you just make sure not to get it status'ed. Just try either Protect or Rest and see how it goes!

Hello friends! I'm relatively new to ADV OU but I built myself a team. I haven't gotten to high on ladder but that's probably a combination of inexperience in playing the tier and in the teambuilder. I really wanted to build a TSS team that included Knock Off to worsen the opposing team's longevity even further.

Rationale for choosing each member:
View attachment 562430View attachment 562431View attachment 562433View attachment 562432View attachment 562434View attachment 562436
I started the team off with bulky leftovers Hariyama. Maxed out defenses were chosen as its HP stat was already significantly higher than its defenses, therefore giving defense investment more value in terms of strict mixed bulk. I then added leftovers physical attacker Tyranitar as the lead in order to set up sand as quickly as possible to allow for maximum passive damage. The tried-and-true SkarmBliss core is used for their fantastic synergy as a mixed walling duo. Bold Starmie is used for additional support against physical attackers and rapid spin to relieve spikes pressure from its teammates. Swampert rounds out the team as a bulky physical wall.

Sets:
View attachment 562430
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Focus Punch

This Tyranitar set functions as the team's lead and is meant to generally dish out consistent damage while maintaining longevity due to Leftovers. It is placed in the lead slot to guarantee sand being up for as long as possible in the battle. Rock Slide is used for STAB, and Earthquake is a great coverage compliment to Rock Slide. Hidden Power Bug is mainly meant to hit Celebi, while Focus Punch can be used on a prediction to hit Swampert and Skarmory hard.
View attachment 562431
Hit and Run (Hariyama) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Whirlwind

This Hariyama is meant to stick around and click Knock Off. The defense investment is the most optimal way to maximize mixed bulk because of Hariyama's stat distribution with low defense and high HP. Brick Break is used for STAB and to hit things like Lax, Ttar, and Blissey. Rock Slide is to ensure that Hariyama can hit flying types like Moltres or Zapdos for decent damage, while Whirlwind is used to phaze out boosters or rack up Spikes and Sandstorm damage.
View attachment 562433
Fort Knox (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roar
- Protect
- Toxic

A pretty generic Skarmory set. It runs Max Spdef as it already has great physical bulk. Spikes are broken Spikes, Roar allows for phazing and chip damage, Protect allows for Leftovers recovery and moveset scouting, while Toxic puts opponents on a timer. Skarm is one part of the SkarmBliss core that helps keep the team together in the face of a myriad of ADV OU's threats.
View attachment 562432
:) (Blissey) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Wish

This set runs Softboiled to heal itself consistently during the game, while Wish is a backup healing move in a pinch. Wish is also greatly appreciated by the the rest of the team for helping mons with no other form of recovery healthy, such as Yama, Skarm, or Pert. It also ensures that the team almost always has a good way to deal with status, forming a double Natural Cure core with Starmie.
View attachment 562434
Patrick (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 40 SpA / 32 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Bulky Bold Starmie is a temporary stopgap against several physical attackers, and also staves off Swampert for the rest of the team. Surf is used for its high PP and consistent damage. Thunder Wave helps to cripple certain foes and makes it easier for Starmie and its teammates to deal with opposing threats. Rapid Spin removes Spikes, a form of pressure on its teammates. Recover is the 32 PP ADV recover.
View attachment 562436
Bonus Ducks (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Hydro Pump

A secondary physical wall to ease the pressure on Skarmory, as well as a great defensive Pokemon in its own right. Swampert uses Earthquake for reliable physical STAB, Ice Beam to hit Grasses and things like Salamence, Protect to squeeze as much leftovers recovery as possible and to scout for dangerous moves like Hidden Power Grass or Explosion, and Hydro Pump provides a form of secondary special STAB.

Team Paste: https://pokepast.es/cdc30f22757afc75
Your teams p weak to opposing swampert and some gengar sets if u lose blissey. Maybe switch some things around to counteract that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)