OU Absol

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mention in the overview that another one of Absol's major downside is the ease of revenge killing it. Pokemon like Conkeldurr, Greninja, Mega Scizor, and Mega Azumarill can rather easily take care of it.

Also mention in the overview a little about Absol's role, which you stated to be a revenge killer, wallbreaker, and Pursuit-trapper.

The Moves section of the first set is a little oddly phrased—the order of the moves seems to be a little convoluted, especially in the beginning (e.g. Pursuit mentioned second, although it's slashed in the very last moveslot, and Play Rough is brought up twice.)

In Set Details, make a brief note that investing in Attack is better than investing in Special Attack because Sucker Punch is its most important move (this goes for both sets).

Usage Tips for both sets should be expanded—for example, you mention that Absol's counters should be removed before it attempts to sweep, but there is little information on exactly how that should be achieved. Even a brief mention of a counter and a method of wearing them down will work (e.g. smart switching will wear down counters like Heatran and Mega Venusaur in the presence of heavy hazards, and Bisharp can be a helpful teammate as a Defiant boost from hazard removal attempts will easily weaken Bisharp's counters for a later sweep).

Mention Kyurem-B as a partner for both sets. It does very well against many of the Pokemon listed in Checks and Counters.

In addition, Absol also has Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave to spread status, although it is too frail to make effective use of the moves.
I would give these moves a little more credit, personally. Many frail Pokemon in OU, such as Talonflame, Thundurus, Mega Gardevoir, and Gengar, utilize one of these attacks as a deterrent to physical attackers. It's not so much Absol's frailty that's a problem here, it's the need for coverage.

Fix all of these things and I'll give it a stamp.

Last edited:
Others may disagree with me. But I have a suggestion for the Swords Dance set. Instead of Knock Off being slashed with Baton Pass, I believe it should be slashed with Superpower.

I suppose it depends on team construction, but I find that +2 Absol with Dark and Fighting coverage wrecks teams. Obviously, you need to be mindful of fairies, but Knock Off does almost as much damage to fairies as Play Rough. It's 73BP (Knock Off resisted) compared to 90BP (Play Rough). Usually Absol shouldn't attempt a sweep unless the fairies are taken our or weakened anyways.

Moving on, even with the attack drops, Superpower is a very viable move. Takes out Bisharp and Tyranitar without any boosts early game, disrupts with Knock Off, and sweeps late game. It's also capable of taking out Heatran, Ferrothorn, Bulky Kyurem-B, and Keldeo/Terakion at +2. The attack drop doesn't affect Absol nearly as much as people would think, since Sucker Punch and Knock Off clean up extremely well, even at +1.

Just my 2 cents, as I've found it much more useful for sweeping and early game than Baton Pass was for my team(Made it to the 1800's). But that could be due to my team construction. Try it out if you have doubts.

Regardless Knock Off should probably be slashed before Night Slash on the Swords Dance set since it's utility is far too powerful early game, and it's capable of OHKOing several tanks at +2 after hazard damage.

Agreeing with the above, after some use, Knock Off + Superpower is better than Night Slash + Play Rough even with the lack of perfect coverage. Baton Pass is just a set details mention in comparison. Please adjust the set details accordingly.

Please buff out the usage tips like CyclicCompound outlined, other than that, this looks good. I've already stamped this, so hopefully now that he's been tagged he'll see this and give you your third.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hm so after using it...

I feel like 3x STAB + Superpower is the best moveset. I think not having Superpower is a pretty significant cost, as you miss coverage vs the likes of Tyranitar and Bisharp, also Keldeo to some extent (damaging it at all) and stuff like Kyurem-B and Terrakion, which ends up being really significant in my experience. I would make the moveset something like this:

move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Pursuit / Fire Blast / Ice Beam

Thoughts?

I also think SD is pretty mediocre, Absol doesn't really get setup chances and can still can be handled to a decent degree after it has set up...plus it really appreciates all of its moveslots for coverage/utility. Probably remove that set unless someone speaks up for it.

I also think SD is pretty mediocre, Absol doesn't really get setup chances and can still can be handled to a decent degree after it has set up...plus it really appreciates all of its moveslots for coverage/utility. Probably remove that set unless someone speaks up for it.
Agree with your comments on the all-out attacker, but ice beam can be useful. I will speak up for the Swords Dance Absol, as at + 2 Knock Off cleans up extremely well, just need to ensure the fairies are gone. You mostly set up on forced switches from choice locked pokemon, or Latios after a Draco Meteor, which is pretty common in the meta. He can also set up on Rotom-W, Blissey, Chansey, as well as a few other pokemon. Forcing switches and proper prediction is the way to go though.

i think pursuit is worse than fire blast and ice beam for the record. i wouldn't mind a slash after the special moves tho

without a special move u can't beat helmet skarm even =/

also sd is kinda meh. it's probably better in other options or whatever since it's not the best of sweepers and it loses survivability by running sd as ur more obligated to stay in. absol should stay alive as long as ur opponents stealth rocker is imo. also it has that nagging 3mss

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pursuit isn't exactly on high demand or the most useful on something that's strapped for power and coverage imo, so I agree with Dice when it comes to implementing the new set. Absol kinda needs the special move to break through more important threats like Landorus, Garchomp, Mega Scizor, and what not have you, so I'd also put it slashed after the special moves.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I'm okay with that. Probably the biggest point of my post was putting Superpower on its own, I want to see that happen, and Pursuit is fine so long as it is slashed.

Still think the Swords Dance set deserves a mention. At +2 Knock Off and Sucker Punch clean up very well with Superpower for support. Just my 2 cents.

Alright, I'm okay with that. Probably the biggest point of my post was putting Superpower on its own, I want to see that happen, and Pursuit is fine so long as it is slashed.
cool, i agree wih superpower getting it own slash. works for me

and Starfall11 i kinda mentioned above why i don't like sd absol. it won't get its own set unless i'm convinced otherwise, but it will still get a mention

I could list some calcs. It's very viable on HO teams. You just need to be smart about setting up. It can set up on Deoxys-D, Chansey, Blissey, and even Rotom-W. The best way to set up is on forced switches. Latios uses Draco Meteor to net a KO. Bring Absol in and swords dance on the switch. Takes a lot of skill to use correctly, but is high risk/high reward.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not liking the sound of a SD set either. Sure it's fast and strong, but it takes massive damage from both threats you mentioned - defensive Rotom-W (which it can't 2hko) and -2 Latios (does like 70-90% lol) and it's revenge killed easily by most priority users in the tier (Azumarill, Conkeldurr, Mega Scizor, Dragonite, Breloom, even Bisharp since it forces Absol into a 50-50). Add that to the fact that it can't setup against like any offensive threat and you have a Pokemon that seems near-useless in most situations. There are much better and reliable physical sweepers in OU so I'm saying no to it.

Jukain

!_!
Set only needs 224 Spe EVs. Thundy is the biggest thing you need to outspeed, only other 115 is like Raikou which doesn't exactly like Sucker Punch and typically runs the same Speed benchmark anyways so you're tying it in most cases.

One thing I found while testing it is that SR is really important for Thund because you only KO it after SR, that's really important so please mention specific SR support.

In Team Options mention the likes of Breloom Azumarill and Keldeo which can handle to varying degrees many things that get in Mega Absol's way (XZard, bulky Grounds, Fairies depending on mon) and Talonflame deals with Megasaur.

Mention Charizard X and Y as well as Mawile if no Fire Blast in C&C. Garchomp is also a pain without Ice Beam.

Remove Deo-D mentions.

QC 3/3

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
Absol's claim to fame lies in its excellent offensive stats; when they are combined with a wide offensive movepool and high Speed after Mega Evolving, Absol can prove itself a force to be reckoned with. In addition, Mega Absol also has access to a great ability in Magic Bounce, which makes it less vulnerable to burn and paralysis while also giving it a niche in bouncing back entry hazards. With access to STAB Knock Off as well as priority in Sucker Punch, Mega Absol can threaten many Pokemon thanks to theits great offensive typing it possesses. Its excellent movepool also makes it quite hard to wall. These qualities make Mega Absol a good choice for a wallbreaker, revenge killer, and Pursuit trapper. However, Mega Absol's immense frailty is its greatest downfall. Unless the opponent uses Pokemon such as Chansey, Mega Absol will find it difficult to set up, let alone switch in. This also makes Mega Absol easy to revenge kill, notabespecially by threats such as Conkeldurr, Greninja, and Azumarill. Despite Absol's high offensive stats, the middling Base Power of its moves makes its power somewhat lacking, so it can miss out on some important KOs. Absol's poor Speed prior to Mega Evolving do not help these flaws either, as this further limits Absol's use.
All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Sucker Punch
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Pursuit
move 4: Superpower
item: Absolite
ability: Justified
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Moves
========
Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that Absol receives STAB on, allowing Absol to become an excellent revenge killer. Knock Off is a very powerful and reliable STAB move that also strips the opponent of its item, which is incredibly useful. Fire Blast is a useful tool to hit Skarmory and Ferrothorn for immense damage while also damaging Aegislash without risking an Attack drop from King's Shield. Ice Beam is also a good move to hit Landorus-T and Gliscor for greatlarge amounts of damage. However, Thunderbolt is a viable alternative over either, however, as it strikes Azumarill and Keldeo, who would otherwise wall this set. Superpower hits Heatran, Tyranitar, and Chansey very hard, and is legal with Knock Off. Pursuit is a good move to damage any Pokemon that may try to switch out of Absol. Iron Tail could be used as an option to hit Clefable, Sylveon, and Togekiss for heavy damage, but its poor accuracy and otherwise mediocre coverage make it a lesser choice in general. Play Rough allows Absol to hit Fighting-types and Tyranitar, and in general provides good coverage with Sucker Punch, but is generally inferior to the moves above, which provide much more utility.
Set Details
========
A Naive nature is chosen to make effective use of Mega Absol's high Speed while allowing it to effectively utilize its Special Attack. 224 Speed EV's allow Mega Absol to outspeed Thundurus, while the remainder of the EV's are invested into its offensive stats. Justified is a good ability to allow Absol to switch into a Dark-type move, namelys such as Knock Off, to receive a potential Attack boost to enhance its damage output once it gets going. Investing in Attack is preferred over Special Attack because its STAB moves, Sucker Punch and Knock Off, are the most important moves of this set.
Usage Tips
========
Mega Absol functions well as a revenge killer as well as a trapper. With Knock Off and Fire Blast, Mega Absol is also a good wallbreaker, being able to dismantle common defensive threat such as Skarmory and Chansey. Absol has limited switch-in opportunities, so it is best to try to come in on weak defensive threats such as Chansey or to use a slow U-turn or Volt Switch user such as Scizor to get Mega Absol in with ease. Mega Absol can also be used in the lead position to prevent leads such as Klefki from setting up entry hazards.
Team Options
========
Aegislash makes a fine teammate asince it can come in on Fighting-types such as Terrakion. Talonflame makes for a good offensive partner, as it revenge kills Terrakion and Conkeldurr without much trouble. Fairy-types such as Clefable, Sylveon, and Togekiss also perform well at this, and provide good synergy with Absol. Fighting-types such as Breloom and Terrakion benefit from Absol's ability to remove Latios and Gengar from play, while handling Heatran and Tyranitar quite well. Azumarill is also useful to handle Mega Charizard X and bulky Ground-types. Stealth Rock users such as Heatran and Landorus-T are useful teammates, asince Mega Absol needs Stealth Rock to ensure an OHKO on Thundurus. Kyurem-B is a good wallbreaker that can handle many of Mega Absol's checks and counters.
Other Options
########
With a wide special movepool and access to Calm Mind, a specially offensive Mega Absol is not out of the question, although Absol does not have the bulk to make it stand out from other users of the move. Swords Dance is decent to allow Absol to boost its already high Attack to frightening levels in order to sweep, but Absol's lack of bulk lets it down. In addition, Absol also has Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave to spread status, although it will rarely be able to find the moveslot to be able to use these moves. Psycho Cut is an option if hitting Fighting-types is optimal, but the move's low Base Power and inferiority to Play Rough do not make it worth it most of the time. Wish could be used as a source of recovery, but recovery is not very useful on a primarily offensive Pokemon. Absol can also utilize the combination of Mean Look and Perish Song to take down an opponent, although there are much better users of the strategy, such as Politoed. Taunt can allow Absol to guarantee Sucker Punch's use while making it a better stallbreaker, but Absol's lack of bulk prevents it from being effective at using the move.
Checks & Counters
########
**Fighting-types** Pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Keldeo can spell doom for Mega Absol, as they resist Sucker Punch and Knock Off, and the former two can also use Mach Punch to dismantle Mega Absol instantly.
**Fairy-types** Sylveon, Clefable, Togekiss, and Azumarill can all take on Mega Absol relatively easily, taking most of its moves well and retaliating with a powerful Fairy-type STAB move.
**Physically Bulky Pokemon** These include Gyarados and Landorus-T, who can take on Mega Absol relatively easily as long as it doesn't carry a special attack that can hit them hard. Other bulky Pokemon, such as Mega Venusaur and Heatran, may fall in a similar boat, being able to take a hit from Mega Absol and overwhelm it with their attacks. Garchomp, to a lesser extent, can be a problem if Mega Absol does not carry Ice Beam.
**Mega Evolutions** Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y can take on a Knock Off and Absol as a whole. Mega Mawile can also handle Mega Absol if it does not carry Fire Blast.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
2/2

ScraftyIsTheBest

NOTE: THIS WAS DONE ON TOP OF FLEUR'S CHECKS AND INCORPORATES HER CHANGES. YOU ONLY NEED TO IMPLEMENT THIS ONE AS IT CONTAINS BOTH.

Overview
########
Absol's claim to fame lies in its excellent offensive stats; when they are combined with a wide offensive movepool and high Speed after Mega Evolving, Absol can prove itself a force to be reckoned with. In addition, Mega Absol also has access to a great ability in Magic Bounce, which makes it less vulnerable to burn and paralysis, [comma] while also giving it a niche in bouncing back entry hazards. With access to STAB Knock Off as well as priority in Sucker Punch, Mega Absol can threaten many Pokemon thanks to the its great offensive typing it possesses. Its excellent movepool also makes it quite hard to wall. These qualities make Mega Absol a good choice for a wallbreaker, revenge killer, and Pursuit trapper. However, Mega Absol's immense frailty is its greatest downfall. Unless the opponent uses Pokemon such as Chansey, Mega Absol will find it difficult to set up, let alone switch in. This also makes Mega Absol easy to revenge kill, notably especially by threats such as Conkeldurr, Greninja, and Azumarill. Despite Absol's high offensive stats, the middling Base Power of its moves makes its power somewhat lacking, so it can miss out on some important KOs. Absol's poor Speed prior to Mega Evolving does not help these flaws either, as this further limits Absol's use.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Sucker Punch
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Pursuit
move 4: Superpower
item: Absolite
ability: Justified
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe

Moves
========
Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that Absol receives STAB typing on, allowing Absol to become an excellent revenge killer. Knock Off is a very powerful and reliable STAB move that also strips the opponent of its item, which is incredibly useful. Fire Blast is a useful tool to hit Skarmory and Ferrothorn for immense damage, [comma] while also damaging Aegislash without risking an Attack drop from King's Shield. Ice Beam is also a good move to hit Landorus-T and Gliscor for great large amounts of damage. However, Thunderbolt is a viable alternative over either, however, as it strikes Azumarill and Keldeo, who would otherwise wall this set. Superpower hits Heatran, Tyranitar, and Chansey very hard [removed ,] and is legal with Knock Off. Pursuit is a good move to damage any Pokemon that may try to switch out of Absol. Iron Tail could be used as an option to hit Clefable, Sylveon, and Togekiss for heavy damage, but its poor accuracy and otherwise mediocre coverage make it a lesser choice in general. Play Rough allows Absol to hit Fighting-types and Tyranitar [removed ,] and in general provides good coverage with Sucker Punch, but it is generally inferior to the moves above, which provide much more utility.

Set Details
========
A Naive nature is chosen to make effective use of Mega Absol's high Speed, [comma] while also allowing it to effectively utilize its Special Attack. 224 Speed EVs allow Mega Absol to outspeed Thundurus, while the remainder of the EVs are invested into its offensive stats. Justified is a good ability to allow Absol to switch into a Dark-type moves, namely such as Knock Off, [keep comma] to receive a potential Attack boost to enhance its damage output once it gets going. Investing in Attack is preferred over Special Attack because its STAB moves, Sucker Punch and Knock Off, are the most important moves on of this set.

Usage Tips
========
Mega Absol functions well as a revenge killer as well as a trapper. With Knock Off and Fire Blast, Mega Absol is also a good wallbreaker, being able to dismantle common defensive threat such as Skarmory and Chansey. Absol has limited switch-in opportunities, so it is best to try to come in on weak defensive threats such as Chansey or to use a slow U-turn or Volt Switch user such as Scizor to get Mega Absol in with ease. Mega Absol can also be used in the lead position to prevent leads such as Klefki from setting up entry hazards.

Team Options
========
Aegislash makes a fine teammate, [comma] as since it can come in on Fighting-types such as Terrakion. Talonflame makes a good offensive partner, as it revenge kills Terrakion and Conkeldurr without much trouble. Fairy-types such as Clefable, Sylveon, and Togekiss also perform this function well at this, [remove ,] and provide good synergy with Absol. Fighting-types such as Breloom and Terrakion benefit from Absol's ability to remove Latios and Gengar from play, while they handling Heatran and Tyranitar quite well in return. Azumarill is also useful to handle Mega Charizard X and bulky Ground-types. Stealth Rock users such as Heatran and Landorus-T are useful teammates, as since Mega Absol needs Stealth Rock to ensure an OHKO on Thundurus. Kyurem-B is a good wallbreaker that can handle many of Mega Absol's checks and counters.

Other Options
########
With a wide special movepool and access to Calm Mind, a specially offensive Mega Absol is not out of the question, although Absol does not have the bulk to make it stand out from other users of the move. Swords Dance is decent to allow Absol to boost its already high Attack to frightening levels in order to sweep, but Absol's lack of bulk lets it down. In addition, Absol also has Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave to spread status, although it will rarely be able to find the moveslot to be able to use these moves. Psycho Cut is an option if hitting Fighting-types is necessary optimal, but the move's low Base Power and inferiority to Play Rough do not make it worth it most of the time. Wish could be used as a source of recovery, but recovery is not very useful on a primarily offensive Pokemon. Absol can also utilize the combination of Mean Look and Perish Song to take down an opponent, although there are much better users of the this strategy, such as Politoed. Taunt can allow Absol to guarantee Sucker Punch's success use while making it a better stallbreaker, but Absol's lack of bulk prevents it from being an effective user of this strategy at using the move.

Checks & Counters [added colons after each section here]
########

**Fighting-types**: [colon] Pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Keldeo can spell doom for Mega Absol, as they resist Sucker Punch and Knock Off, and the former two can also use Mach Punch to dismantle Mega Absol instantly.

**Fairy-types**: [colon] Sylveon, Clefable, Togekiss, and Azumarill can all take on Mega Absol relatively easily, taking most of its moves well and retaliating with a powerful Fairy-type STAB moves.

**Physically Bulky Pokemon**: [colon] These include Gyarados and Landorus-T, who can take on Mega Absol relatively easily as long as it doesn't carry a special attack that can hit them hard. Other bulky Pokemon, such as Mega Venusaur and Heatran, may fall into a similar boat, being as they are able to take a hit from Mega Absol and overwhelm it with their attacks. Garchomp, to a lesser extent, can be a problem if Mega Absol does not carry Ice Beam.

**Mega Evolutions**: [colon] Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y can take on a Knock Off and defeat Absol handily as a whole. Mega Mawile can also handle Mega Absol if it does not carry Fire Blast.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)