A-Marowak Trick Room (Peaked 1614 6OW/33L)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, i just recently got into VGC and the first team i wanted to try was a trick room. Considering my lack of experience with the format (and the shitplays that come with it) it's been doing pretty well, but i really want to fine-tune it so here i am.

marowak-alola.gif

OVADDORAIVU @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Detect
Marowak has a good mixup of useful resistances, surprising bulk considered its stats and oh my it hits like a cannonball. The moves provide the biggest amount of coverage possible and allows it to pretty much oneshot anything that isn't naturally bulky. Detect is absolutely necessary to protect during the turn i set trick room, among other things.

porygon2.gif

ZA WARUDO (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
Not much to say about P2, best TR setter by far and probably best mon in the format; Also with ice beam it covers to a certain degree most bulky grounds that trouble Marowak
The fourth move is Tri attack instead of TBolt because Lightningrod would absorb it.

snorlax.gif
RODO ROLLER (Snorlax) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 244 HP / 236 Def / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Belly Drum
- Facade
- Recycle
- Rock Slide
Next i wanted another TR strong abuser who could also soak up hits, so i tried snorlax and oh boy is it destructive. With so much special bulk and these Def evs i almost always find room to setup, really the amount of hits it takes before going down is ridiculous.
Facade was chosen over Body slam, aside for the nice paralysis chance it really doesn't do much, and i really hate to have it statused. Rock slide was chosen as pretty much the only AoE move that doesn't kill my party member too.

mimikyu.gif

STONO MASKU (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Play Rough
- Psych Up
- Will-O-Wisp
Mimikyu was the choice as the second TR setter. I really needed something who could set up the TR regardless and this + mental herb really does the job. Play rough is the physical move of choice and Psych Up allows for some nice shenaningans with Snorlax, other than copying the opponent boosts too.
Will-o-Wisp goes for the fourth move even tho i'm not very sure about it. Normally after setting up a TR it has plenty of opportunities to cripple the oppos physical attackers who would otherwise be dangerous (i'm looking at you Muk and Garchomp) but there are a lot of moves who could go in its place.

tapufini.gif

HAMON @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Dazzling Gleam
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Scald​
Since Arcanine is pretty much omnipresent in this metagame and i needed a quite bulky special attacker Tapu Fini was the mon of choice (no pun intended lol) and it does a fairly high amount of damage, being able to do widespread damage with two stabs. Also all of its weaknesses get covered by Marowak, and it provides another nice fighting resist.

hariii.png

ORAORAORA @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 SpD
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Poison Jab

Hariyama was chosen last, i wanted a priority user with fairly good bulk, not so weak to status, and that was able to kill fairies easily under TR, so he fits the role perfectly. Besides, all the other AV users that i could think of (Muk, Metagross) share a weakness with at least marowak, something i wanted to avoid.
Hariyama also does a very nice job against Alolan ninetales and that damn aurora veil. Fake out + TR on the first turn and then poison jab means a dead ninetales.
Up to now it has performed superbly, but i may want to consider putting in Alolan-Muk in its place.​
Possible Changes:

Hariyama >> Alolan Muk
Muk would do most of the job Hariyama does but it would provide me with a ghost resistance and more importantly a psychic immunity, and i really need it since Tapu Lele runs rampant and oneshot everything these days. It also has a higher degree of survivability thanks to Gluttony.

Tapu fini >> ?
Here i really feel like i should change it. It dishes out damage quickly but sinergy-wise i feel it doesn't fit; i really don't know what to put in its place tho

Biggest Threats:

Alolan Muk:
one quick glance at the team is enough. Gets rid of marowak, tapu fini, mimikyu and knocks off the eviolite from porygon, but i really don't know how to counter it aside for things like Mudsdale or Chomp, which is too fast for this team.

Kartana: Again pretty much demolishes my team even without boosts, even tho it can't touch marowak and gets raped by Hariyama under the TR.

Here it is guys, this is basically the first time for me in VGC so these 93 battles are my whole bag of experiences in the format, i am therefore widely open to every suggestion.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-532360032
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-532352175
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-536001415
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-535996805

Attachments

Last edited:
I would recommend not running hariyama as fini doesn't allow your orb to activate... Run a mudsdlae with literally any set with High Horsepower (or bring in Arcanine to deal with kartana with marowak specifically EVd to deal with mum)

I think you made a mistake, Hariyama has AV and Protect.

If it's just something you overlooked I'd suggest changing Protect to Rockslide for TR flinches or Bullet Punch for Priority.
Fake Out+Bullet Punch means dead Ninetales before it can make a move

Also I think your team relies alot on TR, what about including the niche Pheramosa

This way you can have a fast/TR team, Pheromosa can use Speedswap so if Snorlax can successfuly get a Belly Drum off it can work in TR or gain Pheramosa's base 151 speed for sweeping either way

I think you made a mistake, Hariyama has AV and Protect.

If it's just something you overlooked I'd suggest changing Protect to Rockslide for TR flinches or Bullet Punch for Priority.
Fake Out+Bullet Punch means dead Ninetales before it can make a move

Also I think your team relies alot on TR, what about including the niche Pheramosa

This way you can have a fast/TR team, Pheromosa can use Speedswap so if Snorlax can successfuly get a Belly Drum off it can work in TR or gain Pheramosa's base 151 speed for sweeping either way
Yeah it had heavy slam before, just a stupid modify LOL thank you for noticing it.
Actually yes, i needed something that didn't rely on trick room and this speedswap kartana doesn't sound half bad, i'm gonna try it; Thanks mate :)

I would recommend not running hariyama as fini doesn't allow your orb to activate... Run a mudsdlae with literally any set with High Horsepower (or bring in Arcanine to deal with kartana with marowak specifically EVd to deal with mum)
mum?
(Hariyama doesn't have the flame orb :D)
Anyway, both Mudsdale and Arcanine are interesting choices and i was wondering about them for a while, it just bugs me they share big weaknesses with the team :\ but i guess trying is the sole choice here.

Last edited:

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've played this style of team before so my one recommendation is to try Shadow Sneak > WilloWisp on Mimikyu if you haven't. When you're at +6 Attack burning stuff won't be that important and the priority can be helpful

I've played this style of team before so my one recommendation is to try Shadow Sneak > WilloWisp on Mimikyu if you haven't. When you're at +6 Attack burning stuff won't be that important and the priority can be helpful
I never considered that actually. Priority helps immensely with this team, for the few times i tried other priority users. I'm definitely gonna try that man :)

Reactions: Jio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)