A glimpse at Crushking: A Wall "Crushing" Nidoking

I was intrigued by this topic and made myself a Crushking to play with. It does well, I just wish it could be a little bit faster.

cloud

groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
this reminds me of my gsc nidoking, except gsc nidoking had an amazing movepool in just having lovely kiss.

Nidoking versus Cresselia ( 20 HP / 252 Def Modest) with Megahorn:
54.15% - 63.73% 2HKO with or without SR including LEfties.

that caught my eye, pretty impressive. the added benefit of absorbing toxic spikes is very useful, seeing as how good psn types are so far and few. my only quarrel is that nidoking can't really switch in to anything but twavers and even then the most popular ones hurt it. you're looking at nidoking coming in mostly on spikers and toxic spikers; not a bad thing as they're very popular. suicune is still kinda popular and still annoys nidoking, but with prediction you can expect that nidoking to do a lot of damage. cool.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nidoking's immunity to poison and paralysis, as well as absorbing Toxic Spikes is pretty cool. It's movepool is still massive, and it's cool to see someone finally using it.

Even though it can mess up most of the common walls, I would personally like to see some defensive statistics. Since Nidoking is slower than pretty much every offensive threat in the game, calcs against Hera's moves, random Grass Knots, and things like Lucario's Extremespeed/Close Combat would be pretty useful.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure that I'm sold on a pokemon that is as frail and slow as Nidoking. It's defenses are barely better than Infernape's, even though it's aided by a handful of resists.

I recommend pairing Nidoking up with a Grass type and/or a Wishpasser to get maximum mileage.
-Light
Do you think that it would also be wise for that wishpasser to carry an agility or defense increasing move? That may give it more survivability.

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, can it survive a baton pass in on the likes of Salamence or Garchomp?

You COULD use Agility passing, you'll outspeed pretty much everything except for high speed scarfers. However, I think there are better candidates to pass to and Crushking shouldn't be that important in your team, it's a single poke supporting role. And I'd recommend against bringing in Nidoking on the dragons, since you can be sure of EQ being a move in their arsenal.

The only thing I have against this is MixTar does almost everything better. The positives to Nidoking are he is slightly faster and has some better placed resistances to get in slightly easier than mixtar. Though, a mixtar running LOrb with FBlast/Icebeam/Crunch/(Stone Edge or Equake) does the same thing but with more pop from each attacking side of the spectrum. I don't know if this was mentioned as I didn't feel like surfing through 4 pages, but just throwing out my input.

I still think its a cool set and definitely viable. Nice work with it

The only thing I have against this is MixTar does almost everything better. The positives to Nidoking are he is slightly faster and has some better placed resistances to get in slightly easier than mixtar. Though, a mixtar running LOrb with FBlast/Icebeam/Crunch/(Stone Edge or Equake) does the same thing but with more pop from each attacking side of the spectrum. I don't know if this was mentioned as I didn't feel like surfing through 4 pages, but just throwing out my input.

I still think its a cool set and definitely viable. Nice work with it
It's been mentioned and yes, Mixtar just beats it out in pure attack power. But the two Status immunities and ability to absorb toxic spikes make it a team helper without causing a sandstorm.

You forgot Dusknoir, Gengar, Hippowdon and Tangrowth.

You justified Nidokings phail against Swampert by saying Swampert cannot come in repeatedly, I would just like to point out that neither can nidoking, much less than swampert as a matter of fact.

Also, the blissey that you cited as your example will nail you with Ice Beam for ~50% damage(not counting LO residual), switch out to swampert, and then kill you. Then blissey will come in against your special attacker and recover away the damage.

If blissey doesn't have Ice Beam, then you are not 2hkoing it.

You forgot Dusknoir, Gengar, Hippowdon and Tangrowth.

You justified Nidokings phail against Swampert by saying Swampert cannot come in repeatedly, I would just like to point out that neither can nidoking, much less than swampert as a matter of fact.

Also, the blissey that you cited as your example will nail you with Ice Beam for ~50% damage(not counting LO residual), switch out to swampert, and then kill you. Then blissey will come in against your special attacker and recover away the damage.

If blissey doesn't have Ice Beam, then you are not 2hkoing it.
Well, I added in the walls you posted, note that Nidoking still 2HKOs 'em. And let's assume your scenario where you believe the Blissey comes to recover in on the special attacker, at that point you bring Nidoking in. EQ is 3HKO on a fully defensive Swampert, and a 2HKO if it takes any previous damage. You're going to have to either die with Bliss, or go to Swampert and die.

LOL Yea, here's to 128 power Ice Beams and 160 Power Fire Blast... Oh yea, and 100 power Rock Slide should you desire it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)