SM OU A Cruel Angel's Thesis - Dragonite/Diancie-M HO (peaked ~1925ELO)

A Cruel Angel's Thesis
Peaked 1925ELO
So I don't even watch anime (and I haven't even watched the show xd), but I really love the opening to Neon Genesis Evangelion. The song is ridiculously catchy, and I can easily see why it became a meme later on. And since I've been pretty much listening to the opening on repeat for the last two weeks during exam season, I wanted to build a team around it. Sounds extremely cringey, I know. The first 'mon that popped into my head was Dragonite, and the next thing that came was "hyper offense."
Well... not really. I really wanted to make Dragonite work outside of HO. I tried some classic sets out like Fly-Nite and SubDD, which were alright but I found they struggled pretty hard with that good old Gen 7 defensive powercreep (see: Toxapex). I tried this SubToxic + Dragon Tail set that was ridiculously successful at losing me ladder points (I dropped 200 ELO in two hours from using that team, it was dogshit). Eventually, I just decided that for the most part, Dragonite is probably the most successful on a hyper offense archetype.
I remember way back during August and OLT, there was this pretty successful flyspam HO team that consisted of Dragonite and Pinsir spamming ridiculously powerful flying STAB, coupled with some broken Magearna set at the time and lead Excadrill to get rocks up. I didn't really want to copy that team, and besides, it was like four months old at this point and probably really out of meta anyways. But I did like the concept - get hazards up early, set up with Adamant Dragonite and sweep with Z-Fly and priority spam.
So that's exactly what I built.

It's been like a week and a half since my last RMT (I've been procrastinating hard, and writing RMTs and laddering is how I've been passing the time :/). These are really quite fun to write. Also would like to see how to improve this team further. Despite my ladder ranking, I really think this team is kinda garbage, so I really want to improve it.

GXE is trash but whatever:

& yes i'm aware that s1mple > electroNic

I started with Dragonite, mainly because I was like "you know, in the original opening to Evangelion, there's talks about some spiteful angels or something, and what OU mon most fits that bill?" That's quite literally the only reason I started with Dragonite. No other reason. At all. Wow I sound really pathetic right about now omegaLUL. I mean, I've never even watched the show. I just like the opening a lot.
So I looked at Dragonite, like a long hard look, and I was like wtf am i doing with my life wow, this mon really appreciates hazard support. Not only does it help chip threats into OHKO range (Heatran, for example), but ensuring that the enemy Stealth Rocks are off the field are so imperative to Dragonite that it's ridiculous (see: Multiscale). Of course, the first thought that many would have is Excadrill and Greninja (see: August SuMo meta). And in like every case, Excadrill is better as a pure hazard setter than Diancie-Mega. But, Diancie-M does one thing better than Excadrill - it beats a lot of Defoggers a bit harder than Excadrill does, most notably Zapdos. And since I wasn't running Pinsir-M on this team composition anyways, having my mega slot being filled by a suicide lead didn't really bother me at all. Greninja's just a good, consistent spiker.
I needed a revenge killer. One that could sweep under certain circumstances as well. Kartana fit the bill. I really, really dislike playing against Tapu Lele, and Kartana could comfortably revenge kill all forms of Lele in OU right now. That's not to say it beats Lele, but still...
Completely unrelated to the team, but I was browsing RMTs one cold, lonely night and I saw this little team by Ho3nConfirm3d and he was using Weakness Policy Zygarde. Well, colour me impressed, since I was a huge Zygarde fan and I knew from experience what kind of super effective hits it could take with just a little bit of HP investment. And with all the defensive Lando-T's running around with their puny weak negative-SpA HP Ices, it just seemed to be a good time to try out WP Zygarde. And it fits on the team as well, since the biggest barrier to sweeping for both Dragonite and Zygarde is Landorus-T, and being able to get rid of that overcentralizing boi is always a good way to start the snowball towards a sweep.
So I hate Lele (mentioned previously). And I realize that the best way to check Lele is by having a two-steel core on your team (or at least that's what my friend tells me). Anyways, going along with the HO theme, I decided to add Shuca Magearna as a bit of a bait set that was capable of setting up on a lot of it's would-be counters like Zygarde and Landorus. That's great, especially since the team sorta struggled with Ground types anyways.

Now onto the actual sets.

Bing Boing (Diancie-Mega) @
Diancite
Ability:
Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm

- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
This, at first, looks like a complete garbage ass set. Which, it is. But it gets rocks up, 2HKOs Excadrill and Ferrothorn that try to set up hazards on me, slaughters Zapdos, comfortably 2HKOs all forms of Landorus-T, beats Sableye-M, and that's all I really need it to do.
Stealth Rocks are fairly obvious - hazards are amazing, always are, always will be. Helps me check stuff like Mantine, Zapdos, Zard (both forms), Blacephalon and etc. By virtue of Diancie's uncommon Rock typing and extremely solid 110 base speed, it beats common Defoggers such as Zapdos, Latios and Mantine, as well as serving as a solid Pinsir-M check. Diamond Storm is mandatory STAB with two nice little side effects - 50% chance to raise Defense by two stages is always nifty, but the really nice part about it is that it's Physical STAB, allowing me to be able to scratch 'mons like Toxapex and Chansey to a certain extent. Moonblast rounds out the STAB coverage, answering threats like Garchomp and Zygarde, as well as hitting Landorus-T and the Tapus for at least neutral damage. The last move was a toss-up between HP Fire and Earth Power, but as far as this team goes, Ferrothorn is a much greater pain in the ass to deal with than Toxapex. Combined with the sort of unorthodox Greninja set, and I can usually prevent hazards from the enemy while keeping them up on my field.​
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 236-280 (67 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 218-258 (60.3 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 308-364 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zapdos: 372-438 (97.1 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 148-175 (39.3 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 112-133 (36.8 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

While the HP Fire calcs might not be the most impressive (doesn't even OHKO Ferrothorn, lol what a bad attack), I don't need it to OHKO Ferrothorn - I just need to weaken it to prevent it's own hazards. Similarly, for the most part I'm comfortable throwing away Diancie-M against Scizor if it means that my hazards stay up. Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that hazards are crucial for this team's success. If hazards stay up, I can find an opportunity for a mon like Dragonite or Zygarde to set up on a Defog turn, or just straight up win with my sweepers.
EVs are fairly straightforward - max speed to outspeed Kartana and below, max SpAtk to smack things harder with Moonblast and HP Fire. Unfortunately, HP Fire forces me to run only 30 IVs for speed, meaning that I'll never win the speed tie against Lati@s, but that's usually fine.

Kurai Tenshi (Dragonite) @
Flyinium Z
Ability:
Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
Adamant Dragonite hits unreal levels of attack unboosted, and Dragon Dance is to go even further beyond!!! Flying is probably one of the best STAB typings to have, behind Ghost and Dark and the like, but it chunks just about everything in the meta for reasonable damage, including resists like Heatran and Zapdos. Fire Punch and Extreme Speed round out the coverage, allowing for Dragonite to pick off stragglers weakened by my onslaught of hazards. That sounds a bit dark, doesn't it?
Dragonite is not without it's weaknesses - it's speed stat is bad, to start us off. Straight up, without running a Jolly nature it's got a bad speed stat, and even at +1 it fails to outspeed common threats like Tapu Koko and Lopunny-M, forcing me to rely on Extreme Speed for many kills. While Flying STAB is great, it still leaves me hard walled by stuff like Pressure Zapdos and Heatran. Most notably, Multiscale is instantly lost if Stealth Rocks are up on the field, so like I said in the Diancie-M section - my entire team is somewhat built around keeping those off the field.
If I can keep hazards off my side and up on my opponent's side, then Dragonite instantly becomes one of the most threatening setup sweepers in the tier. Even at +1, Z-Fly becomes an absolute nuke, annihilating resists like Zapdos and Heatran without mercy. Boosted Extreme Speed sweeps through faster threats like the everpresent Greninja-Ash and Tapu Koko, while Fire Punch sends Ferrothorn and Scizor to the shadow realm.​
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 333-393 (109.5 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 219-258 (58.2 - 68.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zapdos: 272-321 (71 - 83.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 382-450 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 322-381 (91.4 - 108.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 221-261 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

EVs are very simple - Max attack and max speed to hit stuff really, really hard. An Adamant nature provides Dragonite with the power that it desperately needs. Multiscale is a ridiculously good ability, allowing for Dragonite to tank stuff like Ice Beams, Draco Meteors and Play Roughs "without repurcussions."​
252 SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 198-234 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 213-252 (65.9 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 176-208 (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 208-246 (64.3 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 82-98 (25.3 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Baiting Happy (Greninja) @
Focus Sash
Ability:
Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
Admittedly, this set is a bit weird. If you read my previous RMT [http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...he-ladder-peaked-1890-still-climbing.3622207/](shameless advertisement), I talked a bit about how HP Fire lead Greninja screwed me over a couple times because it was so unexpected. It's a pretty simple concept - get Spikes up, as many layers as possible, then 2HKO Ferrothorn or OHKO non-mega Scizor when it comes out. It's useful in very specific situations, but in this case Greninja only requires three moveslots to function effectively, and if the fourth move can effectively deal with one of the more consistent defoggers in the tier on a regular basis, there's no reason not to run it imo.​
252 SpA Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 336-400 (97.9 - 116.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 256-304 (72.7 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 236-282 (65.3 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 272-324 (71 - 84.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 588-696 (153.9 - 182.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
*Note: I really don't care that I'm unable to OHKO Ferrothorn with HP Fire - like I said previously, as long as HP Fire from Diancie-M and Greninja combined is able to 2HKO Ferrothorn, I'm a happy boy.

My usual play pattern against leads is to Taunt them first turn, then get up Spikes or two, then just die. Of course, this changes a bit depending on the lead matchup - against Landorus, for example, I'll just Spikes turn 1 expecting them to go out into their Dedicated Greninja-A Check™, usually Toxapex or Magearna. I'll then Taunt them and get up as many layers of Spikes as I possibly can. Against the lead Focus Sash Excadrill set, I Taunt first turn then spam HP Fire, and if all goes to plan their hazards are never up vs me, and if I'm lucky I get a layer of Spikes up as well.
Outside of being a fantastic lead mon (seriously, I lead this thing 99% of the time), it also serves as a pretty good scouting mon and semidecent revenge killer, due to Greninja's amazing speed stat. Since it's such an expendable member of my team, I can use it to scout Scarf Lele, AV Magearna with HP Fire, Scarf Garchomp, etc, once Spikes go up on their side. If I somehow make it through the entire game with Focus Sash being intact, it can serve as an emergency check to megas like Pinsir-M. The value of Taunt cannot be understated as well, preventing setup mons like that stupid Cosmic Power Clefable set that's been running around lately.
I think I stole this set from Ho3nConfirm3d as well. His RMT [LO Special Garchomp] was really good.

ZyguardiaN (Zygarde) @
Weakness Policy
Ability:
Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 168 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Draco Meteor

- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
Oh man, we are living in the golden age of Zygarde sets. Between this one, SubDD, Choice Banded, Dragonium Z + DD, there's a whole ocean of viable Zygarde sets just waiting to be explored in OU right now. Bulky dragon dance Zygarde is great, but when paired with a Weakness Policy it gets even better. There's a surprisingly long list of super effective moves that Zygarde can tank with ease, most notably HP Ice from Landorus as well as Dazzling Gleam from Specs Koko, Dragon Claw from Scarfchomp, Icy Wind from Scarf Keldeo, etc. The instant +2/+2 is really nice as it saves a lot of setup, and if played right you can be at +3 with ~50% of your health remaining. Extreme Speed is really nice too, for the same reasons as Dragonite. Doesn't kill Blacephalon though, which is a problem.
Draco Meteor might seem like an odd choice, but you have to remember that Weakness Policy gives +2 in Special Attack as well. I might as well make the most of it then, right? At the end of the day, Draco Meteor is still a ridiculously strong STAB attack, coming from a very serviceable base 81 SpAtk (for comparison, at +2 it reaches 356 SpAtk, the equivalent of Timid Max SpAtk Magearna). It's useful for threats like Garchomp and opposing Zygarde, but mostly for defensive Landorus-T, which eats Thousand Arrows for breakfast but gets blown back by +2 Draco Meteor. Also, Kartana.​
+2 0- SpA Zygarde Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 246-291 (64.3 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0- SpA Zygarde Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 253-298 (97.6 - 115%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 168+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 169-199 (48 - 56.5%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 168+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 195-231 (48.9 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 168+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zapdos: 283-334 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 168+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 348-410 (114.4 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 168+ Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 170-200 (60.4 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 168+ Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 209-247 (83.2 - 98.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 168+ Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja-Ash: 204-241 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So like I said before, Zygarde tanks a surprisingly long list of attacks, but the most notable ones include Choice Specs Koko Gleam/HP Ice and Zapdos HP Ice, which are both mons that Zygarde can "set up" on. If done properly, Zygarde can end with +3 Attack +2 SpAtk and +1 Speed in one turn of setup.
EVs allow me to outrun Lopunny-M at +1, while 160HP EVs ensure that I never die to Choice Specs Koko. The rest are dumped into Attack so I hit stuff harder.

Challenger Shox (Magearna) @
Shuca Berry
Ability:
Soul-Heart
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
Back during the Dugtrio suspect test, I started getting back into laddering with this dumb Zard-X/Koko hyper offense team my friend and I built. When I was nearing the upper echelons of the ladder, I had the opportunity to face the #1 player on the ladder at the time, and I was up three mons to his one nearing the end of the game. And he sends out this thing - Shuca Berry Magearna, and sweeps my entire team after tanking an Earthquake. I will never forget that. Since then, I've been looking for an excuse to use that very set, and I think this is it - it's a fantastic wincon, has perfect coverage (albeit it unreliable with Focus Miss) and generally serves as a fantastic Landorus/Zygarde/Garchomp lure.
Now this was originally OTR Magearna, but Trick Room has complete ass synergy with the rest of my team, since if my Magearna died that meant that the rest of my team had to waste valuable turns stalling out it's own trick room. While Shift Gear is somewhat less reliable, especially with a Modest Nature, the relative lack of Scarfchomp and the fact that Magearna's decent bulk lets it tank Kartana STABs means that SG Magearna is better suited to my team.
Not much to say here - BoltBeam hits everything in the tier for at least neutral damage sans Rotom-H (lmao) and Magnezone, but I have Focus Blast for that one. Focus Blast seems somewhat rarer on Magearna nowadays, and I've been able to nab a quick KO or two on unsuspecting Tyranitar and Heatran who think that their mon hard walls Magearna. If left unchecked, Magearna can quickly become a threat and sweep through entire teams relatively easily.
Still loses 1v1 to Toxapex though. That's stupid!​
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Magearna: 178-211 (59.1 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Magearna: 172-204 (57.1 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Magearna: 145-172 (48.1 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
*remember when Garchomp was so OP it had to be banned to Ubers? good times
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Magearna: 163-192 (54.1 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

EVs and nature is chosen for fairly obvious reasons. A Modest Nature is used over Timid since I just appreciate the extra power, and at +2 I outspeed most of the relevant threats anyways. A Timid Nature is not going to stop me from dying to Scarf Kartana, and the last time I saw a Scarf Garchomp was in June, so I don't think Timid is really needed.​
*side note: i was gonna make "thunderbolt" yellow but the yellow offered on the colour palette is an unholy abomination that serves only as an assault on the eyes

nothin personnel (Kartana) @
Choice Scarf
Ability:
Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off
I genuinely think that Kartana is the best Scarfer in the tier right now. With two solid STABs (both of which are hard walled by Steel-types, mind you) and good utility and coverage in the form of the ever-spammable Knock Off and Sacred Sword, it's easy to see why Kartana has surged in usage over the past couple of months. Choice Scarf I still think is the best set, giving me a good option against teams with Tapu Lele/Fini/Bulu, Kyurem-B, Clefable, etc. It's consistent and reliable, and Beast Boost sometimes allows me to chain together kills to reverse sweep an opponent.
I've talked about it before, but I partly chose Kartana since it is a solid answer against Lele - it outspeeds and OHKOs all variants. Smart Strike isn't the best STAB but it's serviceable against Fairy types, and Sacred Sword is alright, I guess.
The real big boy is Knock Off, which is honestly not at all broken and extremely balanced the most ludicrously spammable move in the game. There is almost no downside to clicking it, either your enemy loses an item or you can scout for megas/z-moves. Not to mention, Dark-typing to go along with the move is amazing, as there are zero immunities in the game and surprisingly few resists in OU.
While it's primary function is as a revenge killer, Kartana can also sometimes sweep entire teams in the lategame. All it really needs is one Beast Boost and it's suddenly doing 60%~ to resisted targets with Leaf Blade. However, because Grass isn't the greatest STAB typing, I have to make sure that Kartana isn't used as pure setup fodder by stuff like (ironically) other Dragonites and Kartanas.​
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 240-283 (85.4 - 100.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 151-178 (39.5 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 205-243 (64.2 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 217-256 (77.2 - 91.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 250-295 (35.5 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu in Grassy Terrain: 126-148 (44.8 - 52.6%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

With all the residual damage from hazards and the like, it's pretty easy to see how Kartana can set up a sweep for itself in the lategame, especially with it's exemplary speed tier, which is notable for allowing it to outspeed Keldeo and Ninetales, two mons that notably Blacephalon fails to outspeed. Oh, and speaking of Blacephalon...
+1 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Blacephalon: 234-276 (94.7 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
It's not a safe switch in either. But you knew that already :)
I don't think I need to talk about the EVs here, they're fairly self explanatory.​

I'll add more as I remember them lol.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-670568543 - OTR Magearna cleans up a team when all hope is seemingly lost. I changed this to SG Magearna, but same concept.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-670647307 - vs my own Specs Blacephalon team. Showcases what HP Fire Greninja does best - catch Scizors off guard.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-670651750 - vs Excadrill/Greninja HO. Greninja lead allows me to deny opposing hazards while getting up at least my own Stealth Rocks.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-671230484 - vs what I can only assume is AV anti-lead Excadrill. Works out well for him but he isn't ready for the S C A R F Kartana. Eventually culminates in a Struggle kill.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-671240616 - vs a Tapu Bulu. But little do they know that Tapu Bulu hurts them more than it helps them, since it supercharges my Kartana's Leaf Blade, giving it a Pseudo-band. Features yet another Zygarde cleanup too.

Shoutout to my Anatomy final which is coming up very soon but I really don't want to study for it so instead I'm procrastinating by writing RMTs and laddering :))))
No seriously it's only been like a week and a bit since my last RMT (procrastination, man, I swear) so it's gonna be the same people lmao @KuraiTenshi26

also thanks guys for liking my last RMT i really appreciate it
he's not gonna read it but ty pokeaim/joey for using my team too :)
wtf am i even writing now

If this manages to set up Cosmic Powers on me, I just lose. I can't break it outside of some lucky crits from Kartana. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-671234904 is the game that gave me nightmares about Cosmic Power Clefable.
Opposing Mega Diancies are usually a pain for me to deal with since I can't get my own hazards up vs them. Kartana outspeeds and revenges, so it's not a threat defensively. But hazard stack doesn't work vs it. I don't lose instantly to Sableye-M however, since Diancie-M beats Sableye 1v1 and can force it out, meaning that I can usually get my rocks up vs Sableye teams.
Speaking of Sableye teams... this unholy abomination makes me want to commit suicide. Also because Diancie-M doesn't even get close to 2HKOing it (I've been thinking about adding Endeavor on Diancie specifically for the Chansey matchup), and I have to blow my +1 Z-move on Chansey in order to have a chance at killing it, and a competent player would scout the z-move with Skarmory or Clefable, which Stall teams always run! Usually I try to Knock Off the Eviolite with Kartana on a predicted switch, but that's pretty much the extent of my counterplay.

Conclusion
This team is inconsistent but surprisingly fun and holds up surprisingly well in the ~1800 range. Thanks for reading though, I really appreciate it :). To the guy who got his Chansey double-critted by my Diancie-M... sorry about that.

Bing Boing (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kurai Tenshi (Dragonite) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Baiting Happy (Greninja) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

ZyguardiaN (Zygarde) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 168 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed

Challenger Shox (Magearna) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

nothin personnel (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Tokyo Sonata

formerly Toanyone
Hi, Dondyxd
interesting offensive team. I see that depends on the matchup the idea is clear. Start with Ninja or Diancie. It seems easy, to press the opponent hard with the advantage of SR + Spikes. Well, being brief, personally I would propose a change in the mega EPower> Hp Fire. It is true that it can work as a surprise factor vs Ferro or Scizor, but otherwise I see another option better. Things like Heatran, Zone and Excadrill do not come in so easily. In addition, you have the same movement in Protean Ninja and Fire Punch Nite. I think that is enough since all with the help of hazards can open holes with boost, zygarde / gearna. I really like the Kartana scarf, it fits great here. You need the help of a user like this and what better than this, who receives an increase in attack with each withdrawal. To clean / finish what is left. Cool also the set of your Nite and the Policy zygarde.That's it, congratulations for that top and points. You had a clear idea of what you wanted, I suppose you'll be happy with the result.

Hey man, I just wanted to thank you for posting this team. I'm not particularly good but I've used this team to get into the 1800s on the ladder, which I've never done before.

The Gren and Zygarde sets are the 2 MVPs. Gren in particular guarantees no hazards on your side + at least a layer on theirs 99% of the time, and bopping Scizor for 80% is always fun too. I did briefly swap HP Fire > Earth Power on Diancie, but I found that crippling Ferro was more important than OHKOing Heatran, especially when 1 Diamond Storm usually renders Tran setup fodder the next time it switches in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)