5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
To make sure I was pressing A at the right time, I also searched for values with a +/- of one second. My DS is set to the right date; I'm Sweet Scenting on Route 15, so the Pokemon I'm encountering are around level 50. I haven't tried widening the search parameters or power cycling, but I will if it doesn't work.

Funny thing is, I tried inputting the time I used Sweet Scent instead of the time I started the game, and it worked, coming back with exactly one result. I'm just not sure if it's the right one or not.
I'd try widening the parameters, including the seconds even more, to make sure. The levels of the Pokemon should be fine then, but the time is supposed to be the time you push A to boot it at the DS menu. I imagine the result you got is just a false positive.

With that being said, I don't always get results myself but if I keep trying I do most times. It's possible that there are just some instabilities in the searcher of the RNG Reporter (I guess you could try verifying it against PPRNG if possible), assuming you are even using the RNG Reporter.

If you're still having trouble, feel free to PM me your info/results and I can take a look on my end.

Hey guys, I used to RNG with no trouble a few years ago but since trying to get back into it I'm fairly stumped. I've calibrated my DS parameters a few times and I managed to get a shiny durant in victory road (no NPCs), but I can't figure out what's going wrong with this.

I'm using the latest RNG reporter, trying to catch a shiny Staryu on route 13 while surfing.

My target seed is 7E113D61C6790AB (with the method Gen V PIDRNG). My DS mac address is 001DBCAFF063. My problem is that I'm consistently hitting the seed (as verified by searching for my DS parameters again, in case they were wrong, but it gave me the same seed), whose initial frame should be 40 (with the shiny at 85 for me), but nothing I'm getting matches up even closely. I caught a brave Staryu which would make sense for frame 55, but its IVs were completely random, whereas I'm aiming for 31/x/31/31/31/31, and as far as I was aware, PIDRNG doesn't alter IVs. I'm really confused because I did the exact same thing with the durant test run, and what I was trying to do here was see if NPCs were advancing the frame, but I have no idea what frame I'm landing on.

Hopefully someone can help!

I'm guessing you just did the search wrong? 'Cause I can't see those IVs within any reasonable frame on that seed.
I'm not sure, I had those IVs selected before I ran the search so I'm not entirely sure what's going wrong, unless it's just finding me random shinies. When I run the searches I have Gen V PIDRNG selected as the method, but should I maybe be doing it as Gen V standard seed and then looking for shinies somewhere in there? Not sure if I missed a step somewhere along the way, I'll watch all the videos again too and see if I can figure it out.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I'm not sure, I had those IVs selected before I ran the search so I'm not entirely sure what's going wrong, unless it's just finding me random shinies. When I run the searches I have Gen V PIDRNG selected as the method, but should I maybe be doing it as Gen V standard seed and then looking for shinies somewhere in there? Not sure if I missed a step somewhere along the way, I'll watch all the videos again too and see if I can figure it out.
Yeah, when you use the time finder you need to select IVs (standard seed). If you just use the PIDRNG method, it'll ignore any IVs you put in and just give you shinies with "random" IVs (assuming you have the find nearby shinies checked). Looks like you'll have to find a new seed then.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi! I'm using the latest version of PPRNG to abuse a shiny Cobalion in White. Today I was 95% sure I advanced the frames correctly, but when I encountered the Cobalion, it wasn't shiny. I checked the IVs, however, and they were the correct seed-31/31/31/26/31/31. I asked someone and was told that I would have to RNG a specific TID/SID (aka, replay the game) if I wanted a nice shiny legendary.. is this really true? If not, where did I mess up? If so, how do I find out what TID/SID I need to RNG? Sorry, lots of qs, but I'm just trying to get a hang of this and I was kinda confused because I never saw that I needed a specific TID in any of the guides I read.

Relevant info:

I used an AR to find my SID.

(stationary PID frame is 75 and seed is 02B7FE425FA70208)

Last edited:
I asked someone and was told that I would have to RNG a specific TID/SID (aka, replay the game) if I wanted a nice shiny legendary.. is this really true?
No this is only true for Gen IV where the spreads are really limited and you really need to RNG your TID/SID to get a shiny with decent DVs.

I checked your Seed in the PIDRNG frame in the main window of RNGReporter (I think the seeds are the same for both programs, right?)
And it looks like your shiny Cobalion is on frame 73. It's adamant though.

You should hit your seed like you used to do and advance your frame by 73 (listening to recorded Chatot sounds). It can be that the frames are advanced through some NPC or something else. So catch the Cobalion and check which frame you hit. If it is the correct one: Congratulations.
If it is the wrong one paste your seed in the main window under "Gen V PIDRNG" and see which nature and characteristic you got. (Should be near frame 73)
With this information you can check which frame you hit. If you hit frame 74 you just need to repeat the process and listen to one chatot sound less.

If you want a Jolly one you should get another seed.

Note: To check the characteristic you need to right-click and set the IVs your seed has (In your example: 31/31/31/26/31/31)

Winry

is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I appreciate the help! I'm kind of lost rn lol. This is what it says in the Seed Inspector:

Would it just be wrong because it says the nature is Synchronize there? I got everything, the IVs and nature, except for the shininess (obvs I can't check the PID tho). I might be kinda tone deaf but the Chatot sounds matched up when I was advancing the frames.

Winry

Capable of taking hits! If you meant the Pokemon's.. it's Jolly, and the stats are 141/93/126/81/78/118 (kinda posting this for me too so I don't have to take out my game again).

Then you got the Cobalion on frame 76. Just advance your frame by 74 instead 75 next time and you should get your shiny Cobalion :D

Edit: I'm not sure why you get the one on frame 76. It can be that starting the battle with Cobalion advances a frame or some random NPC advances it.

Winry

This happened before too, when I tried a different seed I got the one right after it :( So I'll just try doing one less advancement I guess? Thank you!

edit: this is probably a dumb q but how did you figure out it was the wrong frame? Cause the nature says SYNC for the frame 76 one too?

edit: this is probably a dumb q but how did you figure out it was the wrong frame? Cause the nature says SYNC for the frame 76 one too?
You hit your seed.
The nature of the Pokemon on frame 76 changes when you have a synchronizer as lead. (Your Synchronizer is Jolly. So you should get a jolly)
The one on frame 76 has Capable of taking hits as characteristic.

Since you hit your seed it should be around ~75. The nature should be jolly and the charactersitic "Capable of taking hits". With a quick look the only one in the near of frame 75 with this characteristic and nature is 76 or 71.

The bold ones change their nature according to the synchronizer you have as your lead.

Edit: I hope I explained it good enough.

Last edited:

Winry

Oh okay! That's useful.. I can't see the characteristics on PPRNG, or at least on the settings I have. Feel pretty dumb now, but at least now I understand it better. Thank you :)

Oh okay! That's useful.. I can't see the characteristics on PPRNG, or at least on the settings I have. Feel pretty dumb now, but at least now I understand it better. Thank you :)

Congratulations :D
There is definitely someone out there who can show you how to get your characteristics in PPRNG

This seems like a stupid question, but does RNG still work now that the wi-fi is off? If so, have there been any major changes (I'm sorry, I just got back into Pokemon Black 2 lol)? Will the instructions in this thread still work? Trying to encounter a shiny Adamant Riolu using the latest RNG reporter stated on this thread. I don't know about all the seed situations.... I also don't know how to find my secret ID either. If someone could pm me with personal help, that would be great because I am new to rnging.

Last edited:

Winry

This seems like a stupid question, but does RNG still work now that the wi-fi is off? If so, have there been any major changes (I'm sorry, I just got back into Pokemon Black 2 lol)? Will the instructions in this thread still work? Trying to encounter a shiny Adamant Riolu using the latest RNG reporter stated on this thread. I don't know about all the seed situations.... I also don't know how to find my secret ID either. If someone could pm me with personal help, that would be great because I am new to rnging.
Yup, if you read latest posts in the thread it shows that people have been able to use RNG recently, as it has nothing to do with Wifi. I'm no expert, and I don't use RNG Reporter anyway, but I would suggest reading through the guide and looking up videos on Youtube to learn about seeds, because they explain it really well. You just can't skim through the guides-read everything relevant. I was confused first because I only read parts of it since I'm impatient.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Welcome to Smogon! Just to touch on a couple points:

As Winry said, you shouldn't have a problem without wi-fi. The biggest impact is that the Entralink is shut down, so you can't RNG Pokemon from the Dream World anymore (well, without injecting them anyway). To find your SID, you'll either have to RNG it or use some external device to check it. If you don't like the sound of either of those, you can import any Pokemon with your OT into gen 6 and have someone check it for you (I'd be happy to do so, so just PM me if you'd like help).

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is it possible for a BW1 cart's Timer0 values to just change? And I don't mean alternate, I mean straight up change. Having taken a break from RNGing on my White cart for a while, I recently returned to do an RNG request for someone, but I can't hit my seed no matter what I do. I'm using the same DS I always have, same MAC address, etc. and I've tested all the buttons, so it's not keypresses either. The seeds that I'm hitting don't show up in the adjacents tab either, so the only thing I can think of is that both of my Timer0s have changed, all while the cart has been sitting in its case, gathering dust. Has this ever happened to anyone else/what should I do about it?

E: Just realised I posted this in the 'Most Generation Help thread' instead of the 'Gen V Help thread' in case someone wants to move it. Or don't. I don't mind either way.
Since some of those factors are (at least partly) hardware based, an ageing system* (amongst other things) can affect calibration parameters. There's also multiple that are software based, and so firmware updates to the console can affect these too* (I think it was the 8.x update to the 3ds completely changed my calibrated seconds by 2 seconds, and consequently the other parameters too).

Also, this is as close as I can get to moving the post, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

* You shouldn't assume this is the case, as it has to be seriously ageing...
* Although you should probably know if these occurred...

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Since some of those factors are (at least partly) hardware based, an ageing system* (amongst other things) can affect calibration parameters. There's also multiple that are software based, and so firmware updates to the console can affect these too* (I think it was the 8.x update to the 3ds completely changed my calibrated seconds by 2 seconds, and consequently the other parameters too).

Also, this is as close as I can get to moving the post, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

* You shouldn't assume this is the case, as it has to be seriously ageing...
* Although you should probably know if these occurred...
I RNG BW1 on my DS lite because i hate not being able to see the seconds on the 3DS, so i don't think that its a firmware issue. The DS lite is over a decade of now though, so i suppose it could be that.
I guess I'll just have to recalibrate and hope for the best, then .__. I tried it before and got no results a couple of times, but i have had that happen once or twice before so let's hope ive just been getting unlucky.
Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Hello

I'm in the process of rnging a six iv shiny klink in the chargestone cave 1st floor on my White 2. I've found a seed that will generate the desired pokemon. The problem is when I hit this seed I can't explain the PID of the pokemon I encounter. For example, I hit the seed and followed the chatot calls which matched what the program listed until the desired frame, used sweet scent, and caught a six iv jolly klink with plus. I know that the frames can advance when using sweet scent but to catch this pokemon the frames would need to advance 102 frames which I doubt happened.

Any ideas? Thanks!
I've attached an image which I hope has all the info needed.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello

I'm in the process of rnging a six iv shiny klink in the chargestone cave 1st floor on my White 2. I've found a seed that will generate the desired pokemon. The problem is when I hit this seed I can't explain the PID of the pokemon I encounter. For example, I hit the seed and followed the chatot calls which matched what the program listed until the desired frame, used sweet scent, and caught a six iv jolly klink with plus. I know that the frames can advance when using sweet scent but to catch this pokemon the frames would need to advance 102 frames which I doubt happened.

Any ideas? Thanks!
I've attached an image which I hope has all the info needed.
Two things jump to my mind which could cause the problem.

1) What synchronizer do you use? (What nature. I doubt this will be the problem. Just to make sure.) Your trainer ID is 07898, right?
2) The spot where you Sweet Scent are there any wild double battles? I RNGed also some wild Pokemon in my White and it seems really high grass where you encounter 2 Pokemon at the same time lead to other PIDs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)