2016 musics

I'm pretty mixed on the new Avalanches track, but I'm also positive that it would have gotten a better reception if the track was billed Danny Brown ft. The Avalanches & MF DOOM because that's what Frankie Sinatra feels like to me. Releasing this as the first single might be a good strategy to draw in more attention to the project (no doubt Danny has become a huge draw in recent years) but it feels weird for their first song in over a decade to sound like The Avalanches are guests on their own track. All that said, not a bad song, just seems like a odd pick to me. I'm interested to see what their first solo cut holds.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
new albums I've enjoyed:
  • iiiDrops by Joey Purp
  • Goodness by The Hotelier
  • Teens of Denial by Car Seat Headrest
also hopin that the new swans album is even better than their last one

looks like the new danny brown is on the horizon, pretty stoked on that. clipping's apparently set to release a new ep 3 days from now, coming in shortly after a load of content spawned from their old material being dropped on their bandcamp (including 24 hours of ambient music via the dream remx and a load of guest remixes on their full-length).

e: i've been diving into the shammasch, first fragment, and fallujah after seeing some good reviews for them, and they're sounding ayte thus far, tho if other metal dudes have input i'd love to hear it o_o

e2: new clipping isn't too shabby at all. any track featuring cakes da killa called hot fuck no love is doing something very right. the production isn't as memorable as their previous stuff but its still tight enough, something to hold folks over nicely. new danny brown track bangs, also. new q lp on the 8th, actually kinda curious about it

Last edited:
looks like the new danny brown is on the horizon, pretty stoked on that. clipping's apparently set to release a new ep 3 days from now, coming in shortly after a load of content spawned from their old material being dropped on their bandcamp (including 24 hours of ambient music via the dream remx and a load of guest remixes on their full-length).

e: i've been diving into the shammasch, first fragment, and fallujah after seeing some good reviews for them, and they're sounding ayte thus far, tho if other metal dudes have input i'd love to hear it o_o

e2: new clipping isn't too shabby at all. any track featuring cakes da killa called hot fuck no love is doing something very right. the production isn't as memorable as their previous stuff but its still tight enough, something to hold folks over nicely. new danny brown track bangs, also. new q lp on the 8th, actually kinda curious about it
this year in metal has been fucking great.

here's my on-going list of everything i've been digging this year: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Prae...r_searches_for_inhabitable_planetary_systems/

it's incredibly top-heavy, meaning there's so many releases pushing and shoving for top spots it's almost annoying. but here's my 10 metal favs, in rough order about how i feel about them RIGHT now, but with only fractional differences in how much i like them. the only clear spot is #1, everything else is constantly in flux.
Julie Christmas & Cult of Luna/Sinistro/Lycus/The Great Cold/Spektr

Sun Worship/Fuath/Rorcal/Entropia/Woman is the Earth

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
New Autechre, Swans, and Radiohead were great, no surprises there (although tbh a new Radiohead isn't guaranteed greatness these days). Here's some lesser known things I liked and want to mention, though.

Sainkho Namtchyak - Like a Bird or Spirit, Not a Face: daring, often quite beautiful art pop with throat singing. Maybe something for those who enjoy Björk's more experimental side.
Even Oxen - Arrayed Above the Seraphim Lights: shamelessly plugging an online friend's album, but it's honestly really good lo-fi psych folk, clearly has a lot more originality and effort put into it than the average bandcamp folk record.
pilotredsun - Achievement: really captures that nostalgic and vaguely eerie atmosphere of Boards of Canada, check this out if you like BoC.
Haino/o'Rourke/Ambarchi - I wonder if you noticed "I'm sorry"... (long ass title): this is good.

Also check out the Xiu Xiu Plays Twin Peaks thing if you like Twin Peaks and want to hear a different take on its amazing soundtrack.

lil late on avalanches myself (gettin put through the ringer w/kev kev's seven levels of oldies metal and i only recently got around the pristine beauty that is flockaveli xp), but it's ok. not fantastic, at least for me, but it certainly is worth giving a listen. a lot of its influences seem to derive from the psych-heavy scene down there, which i generally would like (new king gizzard record is really sitting well w/me), but some of the more lax tracks end up feeling more directionless than "hazy, but substantial". at its worst, the album kinda dips into these elevator music-esque bits that almost feel will boil down to white noise in the future, but at its best it can get really punchy and fun (colors is chill, noisy eater is a lot of fun, etc.). in theory, i think that a new, less delayed release from them would result in a much more finely-tuned and consistent product built off this new direction, but for the time being i can't say i'm disappointed with how it turned out.

things i've been digging:
  • yg - still brazy: maybe its just me, but it feels like the buzz over q's new lp totally overshadowed this release. that's wack, 'cuz this is a dope project. some really dope g-funk revival w/some solid bangers and memorable bars. it even has a fuck donald trump track, thought that was still topical man. check it out man
  • maxo kream - the persona mixtape : a nice tape. bumpin, nocturnal production w/some angry, drug dealin bars on top. he'll occasionally channel his inner future, but it comes off way better than the real thing when he does and usually it's actual rapping, i promise o_o
  • schammasch - triangle : it was / is the most pretentious lookin metal i've seen all year, u kno i gotta luv it lolz. but i mean if ur willing to overlook that then i feel there's a lot you get out of this project. it's multi-faceted, transitioning from a straightforward black metal approach to something way more ambient, with a lot of layers to dig into (which, at least for me, prompted a few listens just to get a feel for everything in it), and on a conceptual level i would say this is one of the most 'realized' albums of this year. idk tho, maybe i'm just a (BAN ME PLEASE) x_X

I have mostly been out of the loop when it comes to new stuff this year, but Novembre's URSA hits every chord with me. Can't remember the last time I was this enamored with an album. Could easily turn out to be my favorite of the past 3 years at least.

• schammasch - triangle : it was / is the most pretentious lookin metal i've seen all year, u kno i gotta luv it lolz. but i mean if ur willing to overlook that then i feel there's a lot you get out of this project. it's multi-faceted, transitioning from a straightforward black metal approach to something way more ambient, with a lot of layers to dig into (which, at least for me, prompted a few listens just to get a feel for everything in it), and on a conceptual level i would say this is one of the most 'realized' albums of this year. idk tho, maybe i'm just a (BAN ME PLEASE) x_X
yeah it's dense as fuck, but definitely worth the time to unpack.

new coldworld is amazing. this is what ~~~blackgaze~~~ (which I hardly think it even qualifies as but w/e) should sound like. give it a try if youre into deafheaven and shit

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Can't stop listening to Dark Necessities from RHCP's latest album, looking forward to listening to the others. The guitar in it sounds similar to the one in Can't Stop which does no damage to it's catchiness.

yeah, preordered the color vinyl $wag for atrocity exhibition. pretty confident in the final product from what i've seen, and warp packaging is always quality.

new kemba is dope as well. speaking strictly in terms of pure musical merit, i'd say that his 'official' lp under the yc the cynic name was stronger (better hooks, more memorable production), but his lyricism is as sharp as ever. i think his kendrick n kanye influences come in stronger than usual, to the point where you can pick out flows that are just shy of biting, but it doesn't harsh on the overall impact of it imo. continues to be one of the sharpest lyricists in the game, well worth the nothin he's charging for it.

Whew, had to check my calendar because I thought I suddenly appeared in the 80s and Metallica was artistically relevant
Though at least they realized they're not good enough to make 6+ min long songs anymore

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)