2013 Spring Friendly

Also, is it just me, or is the threshold for competence a lot lower than it's been in the past? I've battled people with ratings as high as the lower 1600s who had no idea what they were doing.
More restrictive ruleset, no CP rewards, different format (how many people still play 3v3 singles competitively?). A lot of people probably threw stuff together at the last minute to get the consolation prize or didn't bother to play at all.

Never mind the power gap of the top 4 or 5 Pokemon relative to the rest of the metagame. The ubers rotation friendly had a lot of free wins in the form of ingame teams as well.

Thats pretty bad, eScript. Some people... Just take the stupid loss, it's a friendly tournament, there aren't even prizes for the top players. I guess some people just have to have those bragging rights, huh?

I hate quick claw so much.

So far, I am enjoying the tourney. I'm learning alot about competitive strategy; Facing a lead flame orb Conkeldurr with protect was pretty cool to watch, and i took it down, but it was a pain in the keester. Keldeo has presented me with very few problems, as it hardly ever leads, and most teams with it either allow me to set up tailwind or rain dance to take it down with one of my genies. I put a mold breaker excadrill on my team for a spinner, but it is very difficult to predict when they're planning hazards; skarmory makes it obvious, but Roserade is a little less so. I'm usually not worried about the 'Rade though, as I have only seen one come off the bench when they spot the double genies. Kyurem-w has taken a back seat; I specs'd it up, and i regret doing it, as I put draco meteor on it. Not enough opportunities for switching out with only 2 teammates, with one that suicides 65% of the time. Also, protect/detect destroys tailwind strategies.

More restrictive ruleset, no CP rewards, different format (how many people still play 3v3 singles competitively?). A lot of people probably threw stuff together at the last minute to get the consolation prize or didn't bother to play at all.

Never mind the power gap of the top 4 or 5 Pokemon relative to the rest of the metagame. The ubers rotation friendly had a lot of free wins in the form of ingame teams as well.
Surprisingly, I've found it much more easier to dominate again gen 5 Uber/legendary based teams consisting of pokemon such as Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Genesect, Etc.
Keldeo, though is a fucking pain in the anus for my team.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just started playing in this and I ran into someone with a Belly Drum/Aqua Jet Azumarill. Really? OT is BRIANNA with a team of Kyurem-W/Scrafty/Azumarill/Genesect/Landorus-T/Tyranitar. Currently 9-0-0... at least this isn't taking up too much time from my homework...

I lost 1/2 and won 1/2.

I was actually able to kill a lot of White Kyruem, Genesect, Hydreigon, and Keldeo using a Trick Room Reuniclus

I joined for the C-Gear skins.

Sitting at ~1600 right now, and yeah most of the people I've played are bad. Krookodile seems to be a favorite, though most of them just get wiped out instantly.

So far I've seen only two players with White Kyurem. One didn't use it against me (or he might have; I ended up losing that match and didn't see his last poke), and the other was OHKOed before it could attack.

Saw a couple Reshiram, but they were both outsped and OHKOed by my Excadrill (lol).

Lucario, Samurott, and the genies Therian are all also pretty common from the battles I've seen.

What are some common threats you all have come across?

therian and non-therian landorus, Terrakion, the Conkeldurr lead i mention earlier, Tyranitar seems fairly popular, throwing up sand for Excadrill. Haxorus is popular; I've seen banded, scarfed, and sashed. Sash Weavile is popular as well, and can be a severe problem for unprepared dragon spammers, but if you bring ttar you pretty much auto win. Therian Tornadus is annoying for my team, but I have only seen 2 in 60+ battles. The tao trio (all formes) seem popular, with Kyurem-W being the most, base Kyurem being the least. I've face one trick room team so far, set up by a Meloetta (!). Keldeo is popular, as I'm sure it deals with quite a bit, but the worst it has every done to me was piddling damage from an aqua jet on my Zekrom, and K.O.ing Tornadus after first turn tailwind (not entirely sure why he didn't switch, as I predicted; either way, I was able to set the sweep). I see quite a few Tornadus as well, though only in team preview. igalith seems popular; I assume as a counter to Zekrom. If you catch zek with Gigalith after the first outrage, he can r-kill with Earthquake after sturdy tanking the second rage. Genesect is popular as well, though I've only faced 4 all but one with mine under tailwind, giving me first flamethrower. The 4th was able to finish me off after i misjudged how much damage an earth power would deal to Reshiram (120 Sp. Def.??? Why did no one warn me??? lol). Lucario seems to be on every other team, though I never have a problem with it; everyone tries to tank outrages on him, and get paralyzed by tornadus after their extremespeed doesn't K.O.

That's all I have for now. Will update with more later if they come up.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm in this, currently in the high 1600s, beat someone named Rizzo at around 1838 recently intriguingly I tried to upload battle video but said something was wrong with it.

I'm in this, currently in the high 1600s, beat someone named Rizzo at around 1838 recently intriguingly I tried to upload battle video but said something was wrong with it.
It seems this has been fairly normal throughout the whole tournament. I doubt we'll be getting many good Battle Videos from this tournament. Which is a shame, this is a neat little metagame.

I've only saved one battle, and it was also... defective. I guess the opponents' mons all being shiny means that's not unreasonable. It's just hard to get exceptionally skillful or memorable battles in 3v3 single.

I've seen a handful of battle vids uploaded from this tournament successfully (Competition singles with Genesect, Keldeo, etc.) so I guess that means hacking really is rampant in this one? :/

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
I wonder if the checker doesn't account for stuff like... level 30 Kyurem, thus thinking it's hacked.

20-3-1 (sorry OT Havak... if you see this my router was being stupid)

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I wonder if the checker doesn't account for stuff like... level 30 Kyurem, thus thinking it's hacked.
I'm pretty sure it's something like this. While hacks being more common in this tournament wouldn't surprise me, I have a hard time believing that so many of them would somehow pass the tournament hack check but not the battle video one. Which is too bad, because I really wanted to show off my video of Scarf Zekrom saving my ass from a 1-3 situation.

That doesn't apply to my vid (Jellicent/Volcarona/Scrafty vs Archeops/Hydreigon/Scrafty) unless there's some special exemption rule that allows the game to overlook level 50 Volcarona with flat rules but not level 30 Volcarona.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
That doesn't apply to my vid (Jellicent/Volcarona/Scrafty vs Archeops/Hydreigon/Scrafty) unless there's some special exemption rule that allows the game to overlook level 50 Volcarona with flat rules but not level 30 Volcarona.
Volcarona and Hydreigon cannot legally exist at level 30 so...

So why exactly does Nintendo not award a loss to people who disconnect? I've gone up against a lot of people in the high 1800s who just disconnect when they are about to lose. They were pretty bad, so I'm assuming they've been doing it for all of their losses and have not been punished for it -.-

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
but they're scaled down to level 30 for this competition. just like in VGC where technically level 50 dragonite can't exist, it's scaled down. here are a handful of videos where a video containing a level 50 dragonite are allowed to be uploaded to the GTS.
https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=search&vid=&facility=4&type=2&haspoke=149
Right, but it's not unreasonable to imagine that they might have programmed in exceptions for level 50 (since that's a standard metagame) but not level 30.

And you can actually find level 50 Dragonite in fishing spots, just for the record.
So why exactly does Nintendo not award a loss to people who disconnect? I've gone up against a lot of people in the high 1800s who just disconnect when they are about to lose. They were pretty bad, so I'm assuming they've been doing it for all of their losses and have not been punished for it -.-
As I understand it, their server only handles matchmaking and results processing, the battle itself is done over a peer-to-peer connection, so they don't immediately know who disconnected, and allowing result reports from only one side would probably just open the system for even more abuse.

Right, but it's not unreasonable to imagine that they might have programmed in exceptions for level 50 (since that's a standard metagame) but not level 30.

And you can actually find level 50 Dragonite in fishing spots, just for the record.
yeah, I do see how they ended up missing something like that, as level 50 stuff has been going on for ~3 years now. (IIRC, you couldn't use dragonite, ttar, salamence, etc. in VGC 2008 because they didn't have the tech to auto-level them down :P)

also, whoaaaa, I gotta go catch me some sub-level 55 dragonites now!! xD

I'm currently sitting at ~1750 after 25 games, haven't been keeping track of W-L though. What would be considered a good rating, based on previous events?

Also, I'm using a Scarfed Flygon, easily my MVP. It's been so useful in handling all the other dragons (which have all have sub 100 speed), Excadrill and various others. Surprisingly though, I haven't encountered a single Flygon myself yet.

As I understand it, their server only handles matchmaking and results processing, the battle itself is done over a peer-to-peer connection, so they don't immediately know who disconnected, and allowing result reports from only one side would probably just open the system for even more abuse.
That is worrying, considering they have stated that they are going to ban people who have a lot of disconnects from future events. If they are not able to determine which player disconnects, then does that mean they are going to punish people who have played against a lot of disconnecters?

So far I'm 14-4, but with 7 disconnects. Each person who disconnected was ranked at least 1700. It's really disheartening, they quit after I knock out their last pokemon but before I get credit for the win.

I chose to run Gene/Resh/Jell/Ferro/Lando/Conk
Resh is scarfed and has (so far) bagged every Kyreum form I've come up against. I've only battled two Keldos, but they both destroyed my team. I put Jell on the team to wall it, but both Keldos had a super-effective hidden power. Conk has also been next to useless (there was a trick room team that he was able to catch off guard).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)