SM OU (1600+ Elo) Daddy Zapdos and His Five Cute Kids.

The Team:

Aw... Daddy Zapdos looks so proud of his kids!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

User Look Up: https://pokemonshowdown.com/users/fayari

Rating (at the time of this post):

Context:
After my previous RMT (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/6-0-so-far-1601-elo-how-can-i-improve-the-team.3631599/), I actually stopped playing in Showdown for over a year. When I came back, I was surprised to learn that my beloved Zygarde took an Uber to... well, Uber tier. So I decided to create an almost entirely new team since I couldn't bear to use my old one without Zygarde.

After dozens of roster changes and a legendary string of losses that dropped me all the way to 1000 Elo, this is the semi-stall ("clearly just stall with a scarf mew" -freecustap) team that took me from around 1300 Elo up to 1600+ Elo in a single week.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog​

Role:
Zapdos is the team's dad. He's an aging Gen 1 single dad doing his best to raise his five rambunctious kids after his wife passed away. Just like any good dad, Zapdos' main job is basically to watch out for his kids and step in to take a hit for them if they can't take it themselves. He is my team's main Physical Wall.

Zapdos hits decently fast and hard for an older fellow. He isn't going to outspeed any of them younger, offensive whippersnappers in OU, but he isn't so slow and weak that he can't just hit you with a Discharge or Heat Wave to the face if you're a slow and bulky water or grass type.

Zapdos used to box back in college, so he's bulky enough to take multiple physical hits and just heal himself up by Roosting for a bit. Get it? Roosting? Resting but for birds? Ha! Dad joke!

Ahem. In addition to that, physical hits tend to make contact, and making contact with Zapdos can Paralyze enemies because of his Static ability.

Now, Zapdos really doesn't like it when enemy Pokemon try to bully his kids with their dumb Entry Hazards, so he also runs Defog to clear the way and make it harder for them to dodge when he tries to smack them over the head.

Coverage:
Discharge deals with Flying and Water types like Pelipper, Gyarados, Tapu Fini, and Azumarill, and has a decent chance to Paralyze them too.

Heat Wave deals with Bug, Grass, Ice, and Steel types like Kartana, Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu, Mega-Scizor, Weaville, and Mega-Mawille, and has a decent chance to cripple them with Burns if they aren't outright taken out.

IV/EV/Set Notes:
Nothing special about the IV spread. Zapdos has no use for the Atk stat, so 0 Atk IVs and 0 Atk EV investment is to minimize the occasional Foul Play damage from dark types.

This is technically a standard Zapdos set, except for one minor change. I chose to put in 20 SpA investment instead of 20 Spe/SpD as a result of my personal experimentation. This was almost exclusively just for a higher chance to OHKO Offensive Greninja, since I figured investing 20 into Spe/SpD wouldn't do much for me with the way I use Zapdos.

I never expect my Zapdos to outspeed any of his threats, nor do I expect him to take any special hits. The 20 SpA gives a little bit more damage, which makes him that much more reliable.
20 SpA Zapdos Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 282-332 (98.9 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
vs
0 SpA Zapdos Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 276-326 (96.8 - 114.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Weaknesses:
Rock and Ice type attacks from the likes of Landorus T, Excadrill, Tyranitar, Dragonite, and Kyurem B hit Zapdos for super-effective damage. He really can't take many of those attacks, so like all good dads, Zapdos knows his limits and lets his kids shine, switching out with them when faced against those Pokemon.

Toxapex (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic
- Recover
Role:
Toxapex is the team's youngest. Most of the time, she's calm, cool, and collected. But she actually dreams of being a world famous Poké-rapper, spitting out mad Scalding burns and Toxic bars to whoever challenges her to a Poké-rap battle. Unfortunately, whenever she tries to rap, her older siblings mostly just find her annoying, and honestly, they're kind of right. A Poké-rapping Toxapex really is the tankiest, most annoying Pokemon I could find, and thus, she serves as my Mixed wall.

Toxapex is pretty darn slow, which honestly makes her dream of being a Poké-rapper much harder, but she does have the advantage of being a Water/Poison type, which is defensively fantastic against a lot of attack types.

Like her dad Zapdos, Toxapex also has access to a recovery move, this time called... Recover. Yeah, not very imaginative there. Still, when Toxapex combines Recover with Black Sludge (which gives her passive recovery), Toxapex can keep insanely healthy and more often than not turn 2HKOs into Never KOs. Add her Toxic into the mix and most enemy Pokemon practically kill themselves against Toxapex.

A lot of Pokemon think that Toxapex is easy set-up fodder, but little do they know that Toxapex is just about ready to end their whole careers. See, Toxapex is tough enough to switch into most hits and Haze away any stat-boosts.

If ever Toxapex gets too hurt, she can just switch out with one of her siblings or her dad. Her ability, Regenerator, means that she can be in tip top shape after a turn or so.

Coverage:
Scald is for Fire, Ground, and Rock types like Blacephalon, Landorus T, Excadrill, and Tyranitar. Just like Zapdos' Heat Wave, Scald has a decent chance to cripple targets with Burns. This is especially useful for Steel and Poison types who can't be poisoned by Toxic.

IV/EV/Set Notes:
Just like Zapdos, Toxapex has no use for the Atk stat, so 0 Atk IVs and 0 Atk EV investment to minimize the occasional Foul Play damage from dark types.

I've considered replacing Toxic with Toxic Spikes, but I feel like everyone has at least one Poison type that can absorb Toxic Spikes nowadays. Either that or a defogger that easily switches into it. Plus, any targets that would get hit by Toxic Spikes anyway would probably better serve as targets for Toxic.

The 100 SpD EVs are to ensure that Toxapex can take two Earth Powers from Modest (+SpA, -Atk) 252 SpA Heatran while also having enough Defense to take two Leaf Blades from Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) 252 Atk Kartana without fainting.
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 100+ SpD Toxapex: 136-160 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Toxapex: 118-139 (38.8 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Weaknesses:
Toxapex doesn't do so hot against Electric, Ground, and Psychic type attacks from the likes of Mega Medicham, Landorus T, Excadrill, and Tapu Koko. For enemies who run those attack types, Toxapex isn't ashamed to ask her older siblings for help.

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect​

Role:
Sableye is the team's mischievous second-youngest. He's the only boy, and he's barely any older than Toxapex, but he constantly lords it over her. He's a Prankster at heart and has a talent for careful, elaborate plans. He also has a knack for getting the slip against almost everyone, even against supposedly far faster Pokemon. Sableye is also heavily into Magic and wants to be a professional Magician when he grows up. When he mega-evolves, Sableye can misdirect other Pokemon and Bounce their status attacks and entry hazards back at them. Because of his talents, Sableye often serves as my team's main Lead.

When he's not teasing Toxapex, Sableye is actually a pretty good big brother. Sableye's actually the one who taught Toxapex how to spit out sick Burns, and it really shows. He can Burn enemy Pokemon much more consistently with his Will-O-Wisp. He's even better at it than their dad, Zapdos.

Like his dad Zapdos and his baby sister Toxapex, Sableye also has access to a recovery move... yep, it's Recover too. Truly, imagination runs in the family. Combined with Protect, Sableye keeps himself healthy for quite a long time. Sableye prefers tanking special hits rather than physical hits, but makes up for it with his Dark/Ghost typing by by being immune to Fighting, Normal, and Psychic type moves.

Zapdos didn't raise any of his kids to be passive though. Sableye gets into quite a few slugfests and has Knocked Off more than his fair share of items.

Coverage:
Knock Off takes care of any squishy Psychic and Ghost types such as Blacephalon, Victini, Gengar, and Alakazam, and it severely inconveniences other Pokemon that are generally item-dependent like Heatran and Tapu Fini.

IV/EV/Set Notes:
Just a Specially Defensive variant of the usual Physically Defensive Mega-Sableye Set. I already had two Physical Walls in Zapdos and Clefairy by the time I was adding Sableye, and I needed a Special Wall who could use Will-O-Wisp. Sableye was the obvious choice.

With 0 Def investment, Sableye obviously doesn't do very well against physical hits with this set. It's something to keep in mind in case you're used to having a Physically Defensive Sableye.

Weaknesses:
Fairy type attacks from Pokemon such as Magearna, Mega Mawile, Mega Diancie, Clefable, and Tapu Lele can all do massive super-effective damage to Sableye.

Also while Sableye is normally immune to Fighting and Normal type moves, Fighting type attacks from Pokemon with the Scrappy ability such as Mega-Lopunny can hit him for super-effective damage as well.

Sableye's tough, but not so tough that he can't rely on his other siblings to take some hits for him.

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Earth Power
Role:
Mew is the team's teenage starlet! Mew is the middle child, and dreams of becoming an international superstar. Despite supposedly being "Timid" (self-proclaimed), Mew constantly wants the attention to be on her and tries hard to stand out and be different from the rest of her family. While the rest of the team is generally slow and bulky, Mew is squishy, agile, and especially fast when she wears her favorite Scarf. Mew also packs a mean punch with her special attacks. As such, Mew is my team's Special Attacker and Speed Control.

Mew likes to practice for her future acting career by Syncrhonizing with other Pokemon and learning their moves. In fact, she's gotten so good at it that if she gets a status ailment, the other Pokemon gets it too.

Mew loves everything flashy. The flashier, the better. In fact, despite being a Psychic type, Mew's favorite move is actually Ice Beam, which produces a flashy, sparkling ice... beam... Ahem.

In addition to hitting those pesky Ground or Flying types trying to upstage her, the beam also gives great lighting and highlights Mew's best angles for the camera.

One of Mew's other moves is called Earth Power. She heard about it from one of her friends and decided she absolutely had to learn it. She mainly uses it whenever she wants to make a grand, earth-shaking entrance. Like, superstars have to have that "gravitas", you know? Plus it's a great way to take care of those harsh Electric, Steel, and Fire types, who Mew can admit are often hotter than herself.

Mew's most powerful move, though certainly not her favorite, is her Psyshock. She can use it to absolutely shock her fans, critics, and enemy special walls... psychic-ly. If there was ever any doubt that Mew was part of the family, lay those doubts to rest. Yes, Mew is every bit as unimaginative as the rest of the team.

Superstars also have to know how to make a quick but dramatic exit when things get a little too spicy. Mew learned Volt Switch for just that reason, and most often uses the move to get away whenever Toxapex starts rapping.

Coverage:
Volt Switch takes care of any Water and Flying types like Gyrados, Tapu Fini, and Azumarill, and is often a great way to catch unwary Pelippers and Greninjas when against Rain teams. It also functions as a way to gain momentum for the team, which is desperately necessary because the rest of the team is super slow.

Ice beam is for taking out Ground, Flying, and Dragon types like Landorus T, Mega-Latios and -Latias, Mega Salamence, Gliscor , and Tornadus T.

Psyshock is for Fighting and Poison types such as Hawlucha, Mega-Lopunny, Mega-Venusaur, and Toxapex. It also functions to prevent Mew from being walled by Special Walls like Chansey.

Earth Power hits Electric, Steel, Rock, and Fire types such as Tapu Koko, Mega-Diancie, Magearna, Heatran, Alolan Marowak, Blacephalon, and Mega-Charizard X for super-effective damage.

IV/EV/Set Notes:
This is a normal Offensive Mew IV/EV set, again with 0 Atk IVs and 0 Atk EV investment to minimize the occasional Foul Play damage from dark types. Maximum SpA and Speed investment to make Mew as fast as possible while hitting as hard as she can.

The moves were chosen for both coverage and the element of surprise. Most Mew sets take advantage of Mew's decent bulk, and choose to go with HP and either Def or SpD, but I wanted a Speed Control Pokemon that could learn both Volt Switch and Ice Beam. Choice Scarf Offensive Mew was the best fit.

Using this Mew properly requires a little a bit of prediction. While Sableye is my most frequent lead, I sometimes lead with Mew when I think the enemy is going to lead with either Landorus T, Greninja, Heatran, or other similar Pokemon. I can usually get an easy kill or crippling amounts of damage on their leads, because people really shouldn't really expect an Offensive Mew on what looks to be a pure Stall team.
252 SpA Mew Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 396-468 (103.6 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mew Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 170-200 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mew Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Heatran: 244-288 (63.2 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Good Volt Switch usage is paramount to keeping Mew healthy. Sometimes, the correct call is to Volt Switch even when Mew can land a super-effective hit. This would allow any of the team's tankier Pokemon to take a hit that would cripple Mew.

Weaknesses:
Bug, Dark, and Ghost type attacks hit Mew very hard, so she really can't handle Pokemon who run those attack types. Actually, she really can't handle any sort of hit. Mew is the definition of a glass cannon, so it's usually best for her to make her dramatic Volt Switch exit and go to Starbucks while letting her siblings and dad easily tank hits meant for her.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell​

Role:
Chansey is the team's second-oldest child. She's a freshman in college, taking her pre-med so she can be a doctor like her big sister Clefable. She helps her dad Zapdos take care of her younger siblings, and has a knack for taking hits that she knows her other siblings can't take. Chansey can take a physical hit if she has to, but she really excels at shrugging off special hits. As such, Chansey is my team's Special Wall.

Yes, Chansey is super nice, but she is also actually pretty bold, and she really loves stuff like action movies and TV wrestling. Chansey is a huge WWE fan and her favorite move is the Seismic Toss. Chansey has practiced the Seismic Toss so many times that it now does the same damage no matter how much defense the enemy has.

Chansey also loves doing Thunder Waves for the crowd, a wrestling move so awesome that it completely Paralyzes them in sheer awe.

Like her dad Zapdos and most of her other siblings, Chansey also has access to a recovery move, and this time, it's NOT called Recovery. It's called Soft-Boiled, which really makes no sense, but Chansey based it off a TV commercial and hey, at least it's imaginative.

Chansey really hates it when her siblings, and even her dad sometimes, get sick with status ailments, so she asked her older sister Clefable to teach her Heal Bell. Chansey now uses Heal Bell to heal her family members from status ailments that would otherwise cripple them.

As for herself, Chansey never gets sick with status ailments for long, due in part to her Natural Cure ability, which lets her heal her own status ailments whenever she switches out.

Coverage:
Seismic Toss hits every Pokemon except Ghost types for exactly 100 damage.

IV/EV/Set Notes:
Seismic Toss is going to do 100 damage no matter what, so Chansey really doesn't need the Atk stat despite being a physical attacker. Just like the rest, 0 Atk IVs and 0 Atk EV investment is to minimize the occasional Foul Play damage from dark types.

Since Chansey isn't the last of her evolutionary line, she gets to enjoy the 50% bonus to both her Def and SpD from carrying an Eviolite.

Maximum HP and Def investments ensure that Chansey can at least live through a few physical hits if she really has to. Her massive HP stat and decent SpD already allows her to shrug off most special hits anyway.

Weaknesses:
Only Fighting type moves can hit Chansey super-effectively, but she isn't quite comfortable taking any physical hits, really. Against physical attackers, Chansey prefers to just let her dad or her older sister Clefable take them for her.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
Role:
Clefable is the oldest of the siblings on the team. She's a doctor now, and while Zapdos tries to hide it, he is actually pretty sad that his baby girl's moved out of the house to do her residency. As a doctor, Clefable is always busy, generally leaving her Unaware of anything but her work. Clefable has neither the time nor the patience to care for any stat boosts that you want to try on her. Thus, Clefable functions as my team's second Physical Wall, and a blanket check against Set-Up Sweepers.

Before Clefable moved out, she and her younger sister Chansey were very close. They're both quite bold, and share a love for action movies. However, while Chansey was much more into wrestling, Clefable was more into the action-oriented shoujo anime of the 80s and 90s. Clefable was especially fond of Sailor Moon, and spent many a night pretending to do Moonblasts in her room... until she actually did one and completely obliterated her bedside desk.

Clefable has always had a talent for healing, and with Wish, she can not only heal herself, but also everybody else in the team. Clefable mostly uses Wish to bail out her siblings and her dad when they take a bad hit.

When she needs to, Clefable can also Protect herself. She's actually the one who taught her baby brother Sableye to Protect himself because he kept getting into trouble.

Clefable was also the one who taught Chansey how to use Heal Bell, and now Chansey's actually quite a bit better at it than her. Clefable is always ready to help her family.

Coverage:
Moonblast hits any Dragon, Dark, and Fighting types like Kommo-o, Salamence, Ash-Greninja, Mega-Gyarados, Hawlucha, Mega-Lopunny, and Mega-Medicham for super-effective damage. It also has a chance to lower the target's SpA, which is especially useful against the various special attackers of the tier.

IV/EV/Set Notes:
This is the standard Physically Defensive Clefable IV/EV set, again with 0 Atk IVs and 0 Atk EV investment to minimize the occasional Foul Play damage from dark types.

Maximum HP and Def investment allows Clefable to soak physical hits that would floor Chansey, and Unaware keeps Set-Up Sweepers from mowing down the rest of the team.

I chose to run Heal Bell on both Chansey and Clefable so that I could have sixteen uses instead of just eight. Plus, with Heal Bell being on both my Physical Wall and my Special Wall, I'm making sure I can still get rid of status ailments no matter who the enemy Pokemon is.

Weaknesses:
Poison and Steel type attacks from the likes of Mega-Scizor, Venusaur, and sometimes Ash-Greninja would hit Clefable for super-effective damage. So while Clefable would like nothing more than to take every hit herself, she really has no choice but to let some of her other family members take the hit for her.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Obvious Strengths:
1. Mew outspeeds most of the OU metagame and has really good coverage options.
2. With such thick Pokemon, the team forces a lot of switches, resulting in free hits, status attacks, or recovery moves.
3. The team has easy access to three of the five major status ailments (Brn, Tox, Par) and a small chance for the fourth (Frz).
4. My team has access a ridiculous amount of HP recovery. Five of the six Pokemon on the team can heal themselves, and Clefable can heal everybody else too if necessary.
5. Magic Bounce on Mega-Sableye and Defog on Zapdos means my team isn't really very vulnerable to Entry Hazards and Leech Seed.

Obvious Weaknesses:
1. No Entry Hazard moves. Not really a huge problem if I correctly predict an Entry Hazard move from the enemy and switch in Mega-Sableye to Magic Bounce it back to their side.
2. No U-Turn/Volt Switch core. A U-Turn user would have been really nice to maintain the momentum for my side when paired with Volt Switch on Mew, but I couldn't fit one into the stall team.
3. Surprisingly reliant on scouting, prediction, and metagame knowledge.
4. No real heavy-hitter. Mew does pretty good damage, but nothing like dedicated wallbreakers and sweepers.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Full Importable:
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell

Toxapex (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic
- Recover

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpA
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Earth Power

Last edited:

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
i don't know why ur calling this semistall when it's clearly just stall with a scarf mew. there are a ton of huge threats to your team that are super common so here are the main ones

threat list:
z heatran (since mew can't really switch in)
cm pain split magearna
sd mawile
choice band bulu
any tapu lele besides scarf
z ice kyurem-black
z steel excadrill
mega swampert
choiced blacephalon with trick
any hoopa-unbound
choiced physical victini
cm taunt keldeo
water z manaphy

needs a lot of work, any basic stall should at least be able to deal w all heatrans all mawiles all tapu leles and mega pert, since those are humongous threats in OU right now. dont see the purpose of scarf mew on stall since ur only revenging stuff and although ig it can bait things it doesnt really do much for your team. even adding something like a skarmory or hippowdon over it would help a lot

it's a good try if this is your first stall team. its extremely hard to build a team that can cover all the holes, but in this team there are really obvious and important things that need work

EDIT:
was reading ur "weaknesses" list and idk if you really understand how stall works

stall doesn't need a uturn/volt switcher, since you're mainly just hard switching between all of your mons anyway depending on what your opponent does. although a slowturn is nice most of the time, it isn't really necessary as long as you keep track of what your opponent does

next, of course you're going to have to have "scouting, prediction, and basic metagame knowledge". i don't really know what you were expecting from a passive team where you just have to be more patient than your opponent to win. (just an example) if you switch in your zapdos to a kartana, and it z-giga impacts you after it sets up and ohkos, you're fucked, but naturally you would scout because it's the most common z move for kartana right now.

lastly, stall never really has needed a heavy hitter/wallbreaker. again, the point of stall is to chip your opponent to the point where you can clean up with something like chansey's seismic toss or zapdos' moves.

Last edited:
i don't know why ur calling this semistall when it's clearly just stall with a scarf mew. there are a ton of huge threats to your team that are super common so here are the main ones

threat list:
z heatran (since mew can't really switch in)
cm pain split magearna
sd mawile
choice band bulu
any tapu lele besides scarf
z ice kyurem-black
z steel excadrill
mega swampert
choiced blacephalon with trick
any hoopa-unbound
choiced physical victini
cm taunt keldeo
water z manaphy

needs a lot of work, any basic stall should at least be able to deal w all heatrans all mawiles all tapu leles and mega pert, since those are humongous threats in OU right now. dont see the purpose of scarf mew on stall since ur only revenging stuff and although ig it can bait things it doesnt really do much for your team. even adding something like a skarmory or hippowdon over it would help a lot

it's a good try if this is your first stall team. its extremely hard to build a team that can cover all the holes, but in this team there are really obvious and important things that need work

EDIT:
was reading ur "weaknesses" list and idk if you really understand how stall works

stall doesn't need a uturn/volt switcher, since you're mainly just hard switching between all of your mons anyway depending on what your opponent does. although a slowturn is nice most of the time, it isn't really necessary as long as you keep track of what your opponent does

next, of course you're going to have to have "scouting, prediction, and basic metagame knowledge". i don't really know what you were expecting from a passive team where you just have to be more patient than your opponent to win. (just an example) if you switch in your zapdos to a kartana, and it z-giga impacts you after it sets up and ohkos, you're fucked, but naturally you would scout because it's the most common z move for kartana right now.

lastly, stall never really has needed a heavy hitter/wallbreaker. again, the point of stall is to chip your opponent to the point where you can clean up with something like chansey's seismic toss or zapdos' moves.
Heyo! Thanks for commenting on my RMT! I actually really appreciate the threat list, I'll be sure to think up ways to counter those! Haven't had much of a problem with some of them but I do have a hard time with Pain Split Magearna sometimes, and when Band Victini comes out, at least one of my team usually goes down.

You really seem like you know your stuff! I think I've seen your name on one of the Smogon Pokemon write-ups. Do you have an account on Showdown I can look at for replays? Would love to learn more from you! I tried looking up "freecustap" but I guess that one got banned or something, so I was wondering if you had a more recent account?

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
sure, i have a couple replays with stall, although most are low-mid ladder bc i usually gravitate away from stall in higher ladder
if u want i can pass u these teams since these are the better stall teams that i've used

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-782563208 (although this was in zygarde era, you can see that i chipped everything and killed everything that was stopping me from cleaning up with chansey)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-784062160 (i only really had to break tang and chansey for this one, and then i won easily w quag)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-949934742 (stall v stall, after i trapped tang w pyukumuku it got easy)

sure, i have a couple replays with stall, although most are low-mid ladder bc i usually gravitate away from stall in higher ladder
if u want i can pass u these teams since these are the better stall teams that i've used

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-782563208 (although this was in zygarde era, you can see that i chipped everything and killed everything that was stopping me from cleaning up with chansey)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-784062160 (i only really had to break tang and chansey for this one, and then i won easily w quag)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-949934742 (stall v stall, after i trapped tang w pyukumuku it got easy)
Nice replays! Thanks for these, I really appreciate the help!

So that's real stall teams at work, huh? Wow, you've got games lasting 400+ turns. That's a lot more turns than I'm used to seeing, though I suppose that's to be expected with full stall teams that don't have a hitter. My games with this team don't usually last that long. Win or lose, my battles usually end at around 150 turns.

You mentioned that these were in low-mid ladder? I would love to see any of your replays in high ladder too! They don't have to be with stall teams, it would be so awesome to see for myself what teams you've encountered in higher ladder, and it would give me some great ideas on what to do for my future teams.

If you don't have any replays saved, do you have a more recent account in Showdown I can look at? It seems like the account on the replays, "not no vans", got banned indefinitely too. Maybe because of inactivity or something? Scary to think about, especially since I myself stopped playing back in March 2018 and only started playing again last month.

Anyways, Showdown for sure has some recent replays of yours recorded, I can find them myself so I don't have to keep bothering you!

Thanks again for the help, freecustap!

can u tell me ur cm lele switchins
Depends on which Psychic type attack Calm Mind Tapu Lele runs. If she's running Psychic, Chansey can easily switch in and paralyze her. Chansey can take multiple +1 Focus Blasts and Psychics with no problem. If she's running Psyshock, Clefable will eat her alive with Unaware.

Whenever I wall an enemy with Toxapex, there's always reasonable chance that Tapu Lele will come out, so with a little bit of prediction, I can also sometimes get in a good Toxic on her, or have my Clefable or Chansey ready to knock her down. There have also been times where I stayed in with Toxapex because Toxapex can take an unboosted Psychic/Psyshock anyway. Those are usually the times when I think the enemy Tapu Lele would just Calm Mind as I switch, so I've gotten my fair share of instant Hazes.

Also, If I think the Tapu Lele is just gonna throw a Psychic move (as is usually the case against Clefable), I often just Protect with Clefable, switch in Sableye to nullify the next Psychic move, then protect with Sableye. It costs her a few move PPs which might give me an advantage later on in the game.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)