Smogon Forums

Martin
Martin
I think it’s mediocre
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
yeah but the "no law degree" premise is not that important to the show overall except for in some of the midseasons
Martin
Martin
Yeah and the resultant drama in said seasons is extremely bleh

When u have an outlandish premise like that ur kinda obligated to run with it, and even if it had a different team if writers I find it very hard to imagine the core concept could’ve been good in any genre other than comedy.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I agree, I wonder if the creator didn't plan far beyond that main conceit. The whole photographic memory superpower is brought up less and less too.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
imo the wea writing kinda did it in for me. i hate using this word "immersion" but at one point I just started seeing actors in front of a camera saying lines and the all-too-familiar set up of someone walking into an office, saying some things in a way that nobody talks, and then leaving on a one-liner
Martin
Martin
Yeah I got that feeling too. It was also suuuper formulaic wrt how it handled “case episodes”—it felt like it told the exact same story multiple times, repeated the same tired interpersonal conflicts between its main cast. Also Mike Ross’ romantic arc was totally unconvincing and poorly acted.

Louis was epic tho. A weirdly good character among a broadly bleh cast
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
lol everyone likes Louis I couldn't stand him :(

it's funny that you mention the mainly bleh cast, I think I agree. my favorite character is Jenny who only appeared in season 1 and then was cheated by Meghan Markle UGH
Martin
Martin
I mostly just like Louis bc he’s quirky tbh; I didn’t like him at first but he grew on me
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
it annoyed me how much he fucked things up and how out of touch he was I guess haha. like the whole secondhand embarrassment thing. it was painful to watch
Martin
Martin
Late but I dislike the secondhand embarrassment stuff too but it’s balanced out by the eccentric stuff like him frequenting a mud bath place lol
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
He just seemed like a knockoff Frasier to me but I do understand his appeal for those with interests that are uncool