Smogon Forums

Codraroll
Codraroll
Hmm... I think my money used to be on Gen II for this one. There were a lot of mediocre 'mons in there. Ledian, Noctowl, Dunsparce, Sunflora... But Gen IV gave the generation so many great buffs that I think Johto is doing fairly well as a whole now. With that in mind, I think it's one of the later generations. Gen IV buffed many previous-gen 'mons, but the ones native to Sinnoh weren't that spectacular. Carnivine, Lumineon, Kricketune, Mothim...

I think Gen V does fine overall. Some 'mons are good battlers, others not so much, but on average I think it evens out pretty well. Same goes for Gen VI, I think. There weren't that many new Pokémon, but those added were good enough that the weak ones don't stand out.

So... overall, I'd say Gen VII. Way too many single-stage Pokémon, most of the two-stage ones were decidedly average, and three-stage ones hardly exist at all. Starters, bugs, birds, pseudos and Bounsweet. And Cosmog I guess, but it's so irregular it's not worth counting.

I hope Gen VIII will be another Gen IV. Few native Pokémon, and heaps of cross-generational evolutions. Pokémon has accumulated enough mediocre Pokémon since Sinnoh that a wide boost is warranted.