Rugi
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• what the fucking fuck is your fucking avatar? Fuck, man
    Ullar
    Ullar
    also whats the update on cream gravy
    Hey there's something that I'm a bit confused about with Japanese that I'd like to ask you about.

For a number of words you sometimes affix an お to the front of them (すし/おすし、にぎり/おにぎり、とうさん/おとうさん etc.). When do you do this, as I am having difficulty getting my head around it.
    Rugi
    Rugi
    This is called 美化語 (びかご) and it literally means beautifying speech. It originated as a way to make speech sound more refined and soft and became built into some words and grammar. it's お in Japanese words/some foreign loan words and ご in Sino-Japanese words with some exceptions. In some words its pretty much obligatory お湯 (hot water) お茶 (tea) ご飯 (rice) etc. In a lot of words its commonly used but the word can work without it like お医者(Doctor) お仕事 (job) and then there a few that will only be used by people being very polite and feminine like おビール(beer) お煎餅 (rice crackers). Its also used in some fixed polite grammar. Since お prefix makes things polite and elevates the level of the person you're talking to you never use it when talking about yourself. お元気ですか?お名前は?etc
    Let the public know in the well thread that all answers will be answered in my Q&A for my 1000 Post Extravaganza.
    man just checked your infraction history, you have 2 of the coveted 'incoherent post' infractions. best infraction on the forums imo
    Rugi
    Rugi
    one is for fucking with CAP and the other is for spamming in one of those cong threads posted by bots
    BenTheDemon
    What are my infractions?
    seeing as Stratos changed his vavtar, are you gonna change yours? j/w
    Rugi
    Rugi
    Yeah I will just got lazy
    Rugi
    Rugi
    K done
    Ullar
    Ullar
    better
    Man, I need to explain this a lot haha: I don't actually live in Russia. I was born of two Russian immigrants in the U.S. which is why I am proficient in English. I do not consider myself American by nationality, but as Russian. My citizenship is from the United States though.
    Rugi
    Rugi
    Yeah I get that. I was born in Australia to two Argentinians so same thing with me. I was just mocking you.
    Acklow
    Acklow
    Ah I see. Never can be sure about those kinds of things outside of Firebot.
    I was going to make that same "tu" post but I couldn't find any good examples of words except the name of some company :|
    Ur a nice guy, and u didn't misjudge me at all. I have much to work on with regards to a lot of things (especially how I appear online). Tbh your post was the first thing to stop me feeling like a pile of shit all day as an aftermath of that post, so I thank you for that :)
    look, something came in the mail!
    ....................../´¯/)
    ....................,/¯../
    .................../..../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...
    Ur lucky to have been learning japanese from a young age. You already have some of the foundations in your head. I've never recieved much support from my schools regarding foreign language barring that general curriculum stuff that makes u wanna rip ur hair out cause of how it makes learning unenjoyable, and I wish that I'd recieved the kind of support u have recieved. Ur luckier than u know ;p
    Rugi
    Rugi
    Also the general curriculum makes learning un-enjoyable as all hell, I completely agree, however, they don't really have a choice in the matter. When you're teaching a big class something as complex as a language its hard to prepare things that are fun because everybody will have distinctly different abilities and levels of interest. The best way to go about class teaching a language is sadly; by a curriculum.

All that being said languages aren't inherently fun to learn unless you have an almost masochistic relationship with it. Every language has its aspects of complete insanity that make no sense whatsoever.

Did you know in Japanese you can conjugate the verb in like 8 different ways and they all mean the same however one is more polite than the other? And that they have a solid 15 different words for "I" and "you" all of which have slightly different nuances to them but you almost never use them because Japanese favours dropping the pronoun. Also kanji and counters can die in a fire.

If you really want to learn a language though don't let yourself be bound by your environment and the level of support you receive. Though difficult its possible to self teach yourself a language. Good luck man.
    Rugi
    Rugi
    Enjoy the text wall lol
    Martin
    Martin
    Yeah I've been contemplating learning Japanese myself for around six months now and I've finally gotten around to an attempt at putting it in action. A language is only really enjoyable if you particularly want to learn it, and being forced into three years of spanish lessons where I only learned a grand total of ten words, the alphabet and how to count to thirty tainted my opinion of MFL as a whole XD

I understand where you're coming from though. If you're teaching thirty-odd students at once in a school setting, you are locked into using the curriculum to teach it as,munless you arensome superhuman teacher, there isn't really a better method.

I'll ask around to see if there is anyone teaching Japanese locally, and if al, else fails I can probaby get away with using those Rosetta Stone courses to get the basics down.

That story about the self-taught man is interesting. He must have really loved the language in order to speak it so fluently without any "formal" support, and I guess all henhas left to do is to actually visit Italy to get the accent down.
    i really hope i remembered correctly and youre an australian or im gonna look like a tool
    Rugi
    Rugi
    Nah I'm from New Holland
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…