Monotype Yanmega (Bug) [GP 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]
Yanmega carves itself a niche on Bug-type teams as a cleaner that can do its job effectively thanks to a passable Special Attack stat and access to Speed Boost to consistently boost its Speed. Yanmega is able to use a handful of coverage moves depending on its team composition for a select few checks to Bug-type teams like Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn; unfortunately, very few of these coverage moves are strong, thus disabling it from covering multiple Pokemon at once. While Yanmega's typing is decent offensively, it's rather lacking defensively, leaving it weak to common Fire-, Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, and Flying-type moves. In particular, Stealth Rock takes away 50% of Yanmega's health because of this typing. Yanmega also has relatively poor bulk, which means that it has a hard time taking hits, even neutral or even some resisted hits.

[SET]
name: Speed Boost Cleaner
move 1: Protect
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Giga Drain / Bug Buzz
move 4: Ancient Power / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect allows Yanmega to scout for Z-Moves and guarantees that it gets a Speed boost. Air Slash is Yanmega's main Flying-type STAB move, capable of dealing massive damage to Pokemon like Kommo-o and Mega Heracross. Giga Drain allows Yanmega to bypass Pokemon that otherwise check it like Mega Diancie, Seismitoad, Mega Swampert, and Gastrodon. Bug Buzz can be used instead of Giga Drain, since it is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and allows it to bypass Dark- and Psychic-type Pokemon like Hydreigon and Mew, but Bug-type teams don't have much trouble dealing with the teams these Pokemon are on, thus making it kind of unnecessary. Ancient Power can be used to hit Volcarona, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Charizard Y for extra damage, all of which are threats to Bug-type teams. The reason to use Ancient Power instead of Hidden Power Rock is because of its chance to boost all Yanmega's stats, which can be quite useful at times. Hidden Power Ice allows Yanmega to beat Pokemon 4x weak to it, mainly Dragonite, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Hidden Power Fire is yet another option to hit Scizor, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, which are all capable of taking Yanmega's STAB attacks.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with maximum Special Attack investment and a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential. A Timid nature can be used to outspeed certain Choice Scarf users at +1 like Heracross and Landorus-T, which it'd otherwise get outsped by. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to gain a boost in Speed every turn, allowing it to outspeed a majority of the metagame after just one turn. Life Orb further enhances Yanmega's damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Yanmega is best used as a late-game cleaner to cleave through the opposing team once it is weakened. Be mindful when using Protect, since other setup sweepers like Volcarona might benefit from this turn to set up for themselves. It's best to not switch Yanmega in on Stealth Rock so Yanmega can switch in more times during the match, and it's best to keep Yanmega as healthy as possible in general, especially if the opposing team has a priority user. Yanmega's bulk is pretty bad, so it should avoid directly switching in on an attack in general; it's best to bring Yanmega in via a fainted teammate, on a double switch, or via a slower U-turn from teammates like Mega Scizor. Yanmega can also be brought in on Pokemon like Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Gastrodon, and Quagsire, which tend to have a passive nature. Try to avoid getting paralyzed, because this makes Yanmega rely on Speed boosts too much. Use Yanmega's coverage moves to hit what is on the opposing side of the field, as it is generally ineffective to predict with Yanmega. It should also be considered if it is actually worth it to reveal Yanmega's coverage moves early-game, since the opponent might scout for it, and knowing Yanmega's coverage moves allows them to play around it accordingly.

Team Options
========

When using Yanmega, entry hazard removal Pokemon like Armaldo and Forretress are required because of its 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Armaldo and Forretress are both also capable of setting up hazards, allowing Yanmega to get KOs more easily. Assault Vest Araquanid is a good teammate because it can take Ice- and Fire-type attacks with relative ease for Yanmega thanks to its ability Water Bubble. Galvantula is capable of setting up Sticky Web for Yanmega, which allows it to outspeed more Pokemon and be less reliant on Speed Boost, as well as threatening Flying-types with its STAB Electric-type attacks. Pokemon like Choice Scarf Buzzwole and Choice Scarf Heracross can be useful if Yanmega is lacking Bug Buzz, as they are capable of dealing with Psychic-, Dark-, and Rock-types, which Yanmega tends to struggle against. Yanmega also appreciates Pokemon that are able to dispose of Steel-types, since it has a hard time dealing with them; Volcarona, Buzzwole, Heracross, Mega Heracross, and Mega Pinsir are capable of doing so. Pokemon that can weaken walls like Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Mega Heracross, and Mega Scizor are very useful for Yanmega, as they ease its job to clean up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Yanmega can opt to use a Tinted Lens set instead of Speed Boost to break walls, but the consistent boosting of Yanmega's Speed Boost is way too good to pass up. Hidden Power Ground can be used to OHKO Heatran and Stakataka, which in most cases can completely wall Yanmega, but this is generally not preferred because Yanmega has to give up an important coverage option.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types are capable of walling Yanmega depending on the coverage moves it runs; for example, if Yanmega is using Hidden Power Ground, it can bypass Heatran and Stakataka but is walled by Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela, whereas it can deal with these Pokemon if running Hidden Power Fire.

**Stealth Rock**: Because of Yanmega's 4x Rock-type weakness, it loses 50% of its health upon switching in, limiting its potential opportunities to do so.

**Chansey**: Chansey checks any Yanmega set thanks to its huge HP and Special Defense stat that is backed by Eviolite; it can just keep wearing Yanmega down because it doesn't take much damage from Yanmega's moves at all.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Yanmega struggles heavily against specially defensive walls such as Mantine, Cradily, and Mega Sableye because they can easily shrug off any of its attacks.

**Rock-type Pokemon** Rock-type Pokemon like Mega Diancie, Terrakion, Cradily, and Nihilego are capable of dealing with Yanmega thanks to their 4x super effective STAB moves; however, they have to be wary of Giga Drain, as it will do a decent chunk of damage to them.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Due to Yanmega's poor defensive typing and rather lacking defensive stats, it tends to get KOed by a lot of common super effective coverage moves such as Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, Fire-, and Flying-type moves.

**Priority**: Due to Yanmega's poor defenses in tandem with Life Orb recoil, it gets worn down relatively fast to the point where it's in range of priority attacks from Pokemon like Scizor, Dragonite, Mimikyu, and Diggersby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overview:
- You can just say "Bug-type teams" because this is a monotype analysis.
- I would add its passable special attack stat is also pretty good, generally speaking that its special attack stat is what also supports it in being a cleaner late-game, without that, Yanmega would be useless.
- I really don't think Mega Pinsir should really be mentioned in that list because it just dies to LO-boosted Air Slash but I would list a couple of coverage moves it can effectively utilize.
- I'd also point out its coverage moves are pretty bad, Yanmega lacks the coverage it needs in order to cover a wide range of types in the metagame.
- I'd also add that its overall bulk is bad and Yanmega won't be able to stand tanking any attacks from the opposing team. It would have to come from a safe switch in order to keep itself alive.

[SET]
name: Speed Boost Sweeper
move 1: Bug Buzz
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Ancient Power / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Protect

Hmm I would reorder this by:

[SET]
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground

- In my opinion, the only things that Bug Buzz would be doing is hitting Dark- and Psychic-types to which Heracross and Buzzwole does the job in checking. Dark and psychic are just two types bug teams aren't really worried that much about. I added in giga drain because it is a useful tool in Yanmega not only regaining health with the life orb damage but it's a great way for it to check Ground-, Rock-, and especially Water-types such as M Swampert, M Diancie, and Seis. It just provides more coverage than bug buzz does and water has been very solid this gen with ground still staying good. I put hidden power ground as slashed because as above in the post you said it hits Heatran and I'd say the newly introduced Stakataka. I just can't find Ancient Power that useful from the lacking of 8 PP it has and Celesteela can just wall it pretty hard. It's just mainly for Volcarona and M Zard Y to which I don't see both being so much as a problem and Air Slash can beat Volcarona given that it already has a speed boost or your opponent attempts on predicting you going into protect to set up quiver.

Moves:
- I'd mention everything I have discussed above and move Ancient Power down to OO.

Set Details:
- I would add Timid being an option as well because Yanmega would have the opportunity in outspeeding slower scarf users and give examples of a couple. Both natures work well.

Usage Tips:
- I would say it's better to keep entry hazards off your field so that Yanmega can come in more times if needed to, especially when there's a priority user also floating around on the opposing team. I don't really understand the firing off 5 attacks or more if it's able to survive that long.
- Because Yanmega's bulk is pretty crap, it should come in from a fainted teammate, a slow U-turn user such as Scizor, or on a double switch.
- Yanmega can also find some opportunities to switch into more passive Pokemon too.
- Yanmega should steer clear of any paralysis because the hinderance would have it rely more on acquiring speed boosts.
- Would talk about when to reveal your coverage moves, they shouldn't be revealed to your opponent so early and if they are, your opponent could easily play around it.

Team Options:
- I would list Armaldo and Forretress being those that can help remove entry hazards off the field. Also both can set up entry hazards to help Yanmega KO threats easier.
- Add that specifically Assault Vest Araquanid can take special attacks for Yanmega
- Galvantula should be added, it provides sticky web support, especially since Yanmega has Modest in the main set. You want to be faster than your opponent without relying so much on speed boosts. Also Galvantula has Electric attacks to check Flying-types so Yanmega needs less of Ancient Power.
- I wouldn't necessarily say Electric-types are a good example of what Heracross and Buzzwole are good at handling. I would replace that with Psychic-types instead.
- I would say Mega Pinsir, Mega Scizor, and Volcarona are the more important teammates that can weaken walls because of them having set up moves like swords dance and quiver dance, respectively. I would remove Heracross since it doesn't function as a wallbreaker. I don't know about Mega Heracross since it hasn't really been favored much on bug teams.

Other Options:
- I would move ancient power down here and move Hidden Power Ground up.
- Move Bug Buzz down here too.
- For the tinted lens comment, Yanmega just misses out on the speed that it acquires from speed boost, which is more important and there's already wallbreakers on the team so it doesn't need to run it (explanation for it)

Checks and Counters:
- I would be a bit more specific with Steel-types because either way you're going to be walled by something depending on what coverage move you have. Stakataka and Heatran gets beaten by hp ground but is then walled by M Scizor, Ferro, and Celesteela (even then hp fire 4HKOes specially defensive variants) of it'll just be the other way around with Stakataka and Heatran walling you.
- Would add special walls, Yanmega can't break through them at all.
- Chansey
- Priority
- Rock-types
- Revenge Killers (specially faster scarf users, especially with sticky web not being on the field because Yanmega won't be outspeeding whether it's +1 speed running Modest or Timid and it's usually forced out).

Please tag me once you implemented the check so I can look over this again and give you your stamp!

Overview:
- You can just say "Bug-type teams" because this is a monotype analysis.
- I would add its passable special attack stat is also pretty good, generally speaking that its special attack stat is what also supports it in being a cleaner late-game, without that, Yanmega would be useless.
- I really don't think Mega Pinsir should really be mentioned in that list because it just dies to LO-boosted Air Slash but I would list a couple of coverage moves it can effectively utilize.
- I'd also point out its coverage moves are pretty bad, Yanmega lacks the coverage it needs in order to cover a wide range of types in the metagame.
- I'd also add that its overall bulk is bad and Yanmega won't be able to stand tanking any attacks from the opposing team. It would have to come from a safe switch in order to keep itself alive.

[SET]
name: Speed Boost Sweeper
move 1: Bug Buzz
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Ancient Power / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Protect

Hmm I would reorder this by:

[SET]
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground

- In my opinion, the only things that Bug Buzz would be doing is hitting Dark- and Psychic-types to which Heracross and Buzzwole does the job in checking. Dark and psychic are just two types bug teams aren't really worried that much about. I added in giga drain because it is a useful tool in Yanmega not only regaining health with the life orb damage but it's a great way for it to check Ground-, Rock-, and especially Water-types such as M Swampert, M Diancie, and Seis. It just provides more coverage than bug buzz does and water has been very solid this gen with ground still staying good. I put hidden power ground as slashed because as above in the post you said it hits Heatran and I'd say the newly introduced Stakataka. I just can't find Ancient Power that useful from the lacking of 8 PP it has and Celesteela can just wall it pretty hard. It's just mainly for Volcarona and M Zard Y to which I don't see both being so much as a problem and Air Slash can beat Volcarona given that it already has a speed boost or your opponent attempts on predicting you going into protect to set up quiver.

Moves:
- I'd mention everything I have discussed above and move Ancient Power down to OO.

Set Details:
- I would add Timid being an option as well because Yanmega would have the opportunity in outspeeding slower scarf users and give examples of a couple. Both natures work well.

Usage Tips:
- I would say it's better to keep entry hazards off your field so that Yanmega can come in more times if needed to, especially when there's a priority user also floating around on the opposing team. I don't really understand the firing off 5 attacks or more if it's able to survive that long.
- Because Yanmega's bulk is pretty crap, it should come in from a fainted teammate, a slow U-turn user such as Scizor, or on a double switch.
- Yanmega can also find some opportunities to switch into more passive Pokemon too.
- Yanmega should steer clear of any paralysis because the hinderance would have it rely more on acquiring speed boosts.
- Would talk about when to reveal your coverage moves, they shouldn't be revealed to your opponent so early and if they are, your opponent could easily play around it.

Team Options:
- I would list Armaldo and Forretress being those that can help remove entry hazards off the field. Also both can set up entry hazards to help Yanmega KO threats easier.
- Add that specifically Assault Vest Araquanid can take special attacks for Yanmega
- Galvantula should be added, it provides sticky web support, especially since Yanmega has Modest in the main set. You want to be faster than your opponent without relying so much on speed boosts. Also Galvantula has Electric attacks to check Flying-types so Yanmega needs less of Ancient Power.
- I wouldn't necessarily say Electric-types are a good example of what Heracross and Buzzwole are good at handling. I would replace that with Psychic-types instead.
- I would say Mega Pinsir, Mega Scizor, and Volcarona are the more important teammates that can weaken walls because of them having set up moves like swords dance and quiver dance, respectively. I would remove Heracross since it doesn't function as a wallbreaker. I don't know about Mega Heracross since it hasn't really been favored much on bug teams.

Other Options:
- I would move ancient power down here and move Hidden Power Ground up.
- Move Bug Buzz down here too.
- For the tinted lens comment, Yanmega just misses out on the speed that it acquires from speed boost, which is more important and there's already wallbreakers on the team so it doesn't need to run it (explanation for it)

Checks and Counters:
- I would be a bit more specific with Steel-types because either way you're going to be walled by something depending on what coverage move you have. Stakataka and Heatran gets beaten by hp ground but is then walled by M Scizor, Ferro, and Celesteela (even then hp fire 4HKOes specially defensive variants) of it'll just be the other way around with Stakataka and Heatran walling you.
- Would add special walls, Yanmega can't break through them at all.
- Chansey
- Priority
- Rock-types
- Revenge Killers (specially faster scarf users, especially with sticky web not being on the field because Yanmega won't be outspeeding whether it's +1 speed running Modest or Timid and it's usually forced out).

Please tag me once you implemented the check so I can look over this again and give you your stamp!
Implemented.

Team Options:
- I'd just remove the 5 attacks comment.
- Well, I'd reword Araquanid a bit and say that it can switch into Ice-type attacks and its ability Water Bubble makes it a great switch to Fire-type moves.
- Yanmega doesn't struggle much with several Bug-types because of Air Slash. I'd just say Dark- and Psychic-types that both Heracross and Buzzwole can check because Bug Buzz isn't used in the main set.

Checks and Counters:
- Same here, remove the attacking 5 times thing on the Stealth Rock comment. Just say it's limited on switching in often.
- Give examples of those that utilize priority

QC 1/3

Team Options:
- I'd just remove the 5 attacks comment.
- Well, I'd reword Araquanid a bit and say that it can switch into Ice-type attacks and its ability Water Bubble makes it a great switch to Fire-type moves.
- Yanmega doesn't struggle much with several Bug-types because of Air Slash. I'd just say Dark- and Psychic-types that both Heracross and Buzzwole can check because Bug Buzz isn't used in the main set.

Checks and Counters:
- Same here, remove the attacking 5 times thing on the Stealth Rock comment. Just say it's limited on switching in often.
- Give examples of those that utilize priority

QC 1/3
Implemented.

Misaka Mikoto I don't really agree with dropping Ancient Power from the set. The point is it helps with Fire less than it helps with Flying. With Ancient Power, Yanmega has a real chance of sweeping Fire. In general, I think the main reason to use Yanmega is because Volcarona can't run enough coverage moves. As a result, the two coverage slots should have slashings because it almost entirely depends on which moves you're going to use on Volcarona.

For what it's worth, I don't really get what Hidden Power Fire and Ground do. Hidden Power Ground only hits Magnezone and Heatran I think? But both are on types that completely wall Yanmega.

I'd probably go with

1: Protect
2: Air Slash
3: Giga Drain / Bug Buzz
4: Ancient Power / Hidden Power Ice

Thoughts?

Set:
You need "move #:" in the set. So "move 1: Protect" etc.

Team Options:
* Pokemon like Choice Scarf Buzzwole and Choice Scarf Heracross are capable of dealing with Psychic-, Dark-, and Rock-types which Yanmega tends to struggle against because it can't do much to them.
About this line, Buzzwole doesn't really use Leech Life that often for what it's worth. Anyway, Yanmega carrying Bug Buzz is good vs Psychic- and Dark-types already anyway. You could just add something about if Yanmega lacks Bug Buzz here.

Checks and Counters:
- Chansey should be above Specially Defensive Walls
- Revenge killers isn't really that great, since Yanmega can just Protect again to hit +2 right.

Good work QC 2/3

Set:
You need "move #:" in the set. So "move 1: Protect" etc.

Team Options:
* Pokemon like Choice Scarf Buzzwole and Choice Scarf Heracross are capable of dealing with Psychic-, Dark-, and Rock-types which Yanmega tends to struggle against because it can't do much to them.
About this line, Buzzwole doesn't really use Leech Life that often for what it's worth. Anyway, Yanmega carrying Bug Buzz is good vs Psychic- and Dark-types already anyway. You could just add something about if Yanmega lacks Bug Buzz here.

Checks and Counters:
- Chansey should be above Specially Defensive Walls
- Revenge killers isn't really that great, since Yanmega can just Protect again to hit +2 right.

Good work QC 2/3
implemented do i need to write this up btw?.

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Moves:
What do you mean by air slash being its secondary STAB move? It's the first actual attack in the set, and Bug Buzz is only a secondary slash. Unless you mean secondary because it's bug/flying.

Checks and Counters:
Remove the line on Lycanroc-dusk, that's not a relevant Pokemon imo.

Otherwise looks good. QC 3/3 n_n

Amateur Check
Additions
Removals
Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Yanmega carves itself a niche on Bug-type teams as a cleaner and can do its job effectively thanks to a passable Special Attack stat and its access to Speed Boost, consistently boosting its Speed. Yanmega is able to use a handful of coverage moves depending on Yanmega's its team composition for a select few checks to Bug-type teams like Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn, unfortunately it has very few strong coverage moves, thus disabling it from covering multiple Pokemon at once. While Yanmega's typing is decent offensively it's rather lacking defensively, leaving it weak to common Fire-, Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, and Flying-type moves. Stealth Rock is the most common entry hazard and is able to take away up to 50% of Yanmega's health thanks because (Comment: I feel like 'thanks' should be used for positive things ) to of its typing. Yanmega also has relatively bad poor bulk which means that it has a hard time taking hits, even if they're just neutral or even some resisted hits.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect allows Yanmega to scout for z-moves Z-Moves and guarantees that Yanmega gets a speed boost. Air Slash is Yanmega's main Flying STAB move, capable of hitting dealing massive damage to Pokemon like Kommo-o and Mega Heracross. Giga Drain allows Yanmega to bypass otherwise checks like Mega Diancie, Seismitoad, Mega Swampert, and Gastrodon. Bug Buzz can be used instead of Giga Drain since it is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and allows it to bypass Dark- and Psychic-type Pokemon like Hydreigon and Mew, (RC) but, Bug-type teams dont don't have much trouble dealing with these teams, thus making it kind of unnecessary. Ancient Power can be used to hit Volcarona, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Charizard Y, for extra damage and this can be useful since they are all threats to Bug-type teams, the reason to use Ancient Power instead of Hidden Power Rock is because of its chance to get an Omni-boost, which, can be quite useful at times. Hidden Power Ice allows Yanmega to surpass Pokemon 4x weak to it, mainly Dragonite, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Hidden Power Fire is yet another option to hit Scizor, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn which are all capable of taking Yanmega's STAB attacks.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with Maximum Special Attack investment and a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential. A Timid nature can be used to outspeed certain Choice Scarf users at +1 like Heracross and Landorus-T which it'd otherwise get outsped by. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to gain a boost in Speed every turn, allowing it to outspeed a majority of the metagame after just one turn. Life Orb further enhances Yanmega's damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Be considerate when using Protect since other set up sweepers like Volcarona might abuse benefit from this turn to set up for themselves. It's best to not switch Yanmega in on Stealth Rock so Yanmega can switch in more times during the match, it's also best to keep Yanmega as healthy as possible in general, especially if the opposing team has a priority user. Yanmega is best used as a late-game cleaner to clean through the opposing team once it is weakened. Yanmega's bulk is pretty bad and thus it should be avoided to directly bring it in on an attack, it's best to bring Yanmega in via a fainted teammate, a double switch, or via a slower U-turn from teammates like Mega Scizor. Yanmega can also be brought in on Pokemon like Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Gastrodon, and Quagsire which tend to have a passive nature. Try to avoid getting paralyzed because this makes Yanmega rely on Speed Boost boosts too much. Use Yanmega's coverage moves accordingly to what is on the opposing field as it is generally ineffective to straight up predict with Yanmega, it should also be considered if it is actually worth it to reveal Yanmega's coverage moves if it's early-game since the opponent might scout for it, and knowing Yanmega's coverage moves allow them to play around it accordingly.

Team Options
========

When using Yanmega Yanmega's hazard removal, (Comment: AC) from Pokemon like Armaldo or Forretress is are required because of its 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Armaldo and Forretress are both also capable of setting up hazards, allowing Yanmega to get more KOs easier easily. Assault Vest Araquanid is a good teammate because it can take Ice- and Fire-type attacks with relative ease for Yanmega Ice-type attacks and Fire-type attacks thanks to its ability in Water Bubble. with relative ease for Yanmega. Galvantula is capable of setting up Sticky Webs for Yanmega which allows Yanmega to outspeed more Pokemon and be less reliant on Speed Boost, Galvantula can also help Yanmega by threatening Flying-types with its STAB Electric-type attacks. Pokemon like such as (Comment: I feel that 'like' is used too much) Choice Scarf Buzzwole and Choice Scarf Heracross can be useful if Yanmega is lacking Bug Buzz as they are capable of dealing with Psychic-, Dark-, and Rock-types which Yanmega tends to struggle against because it can't do much to damage them. Yanmega also appreciates Pokemon that are able to dispose of Steel-types since it has a hard time dealing with them, Volcarona, Buzzwole, Heracross, Mega Heracross, and Mega Pinsir are capable of doing so. Pokemon that can weaken walls like Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Mega Heracross, and Mega Scizor are very useful for Yanmega as they ease its job to clean up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Yanmega can opt to use a Tinted Lens set instead of Speed Boost to break walls but missing out on the consistent boosting of Yanmega's Speed Boost is way too good for it to pass up on since it's otherwise rather slow. Hidden Power Ground can be used to OHKO Heatran and Stakataka which in most cases can completely wall Yanmega, but this is generally not preferred because Yanmega has to give up a coverage option that is very important.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types are capable of walling Yanmega depending on the coverage moves it runs, for example if Yanmega is using Hidden Power Ground it allows it to bypass Heatran and Stakataka but leaves it walled by Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela but it can deal with these Pokemon thanks to Hidden Power Fire, which unfortunately if ran leaves it walled by Heatran and Stakataka.

**Stealth Rock**: Thanks to Because of Yanmega's 4x Rock-type weakness it loses 50% of its health upon switch in, limiting its potential switch in opportunities.

**Chansey**: Chansey blanket checks Yanmega thanks to its huge HP and Special Defense stat that is backed by Eviolite, it can just keep wearing Yanmega down because it doesn't take much damage from Yanmega's moves at all.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Yanmega struggles heavily against specially defensive walls like such as Mantine, Cradily, and Mega Sableye because it's incapable of breaking through them.

**Rock-type Pokemon** Rock-type Pokemon like Mega Diancie, Terrakion, Cradily, and Nihilego are capable of dealing with Yanmega thanks to their 4x Super Effective STAB moves, however they have to be wary of Giga Drain as this it will do a decent chunk of damage to them.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Due to Yanmega's poor defensive typing and rather lacking defensive stats it's weak to a lot of common coverage moves that are super effective to it like such as Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, Fire-, and Flying-type moves and it tends to get KOd KOed by a lot of them.

**Priority**: Due to Yanmega's frail defenses in tandem with Life Orb means it gets worn down relatively fast to the point where it's in range of priority attacks from Pokemon like Scizor, Dragonite, Mimikyu, and Diggersby.

Amateur Check
Additions
Removals
Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Yanmega carves itself a niche on Bug-type teams as a cleaner and can do its job effectively thanks to a passable Special Attack stat and its access to Speed Boost, consistently boosting its Speed. Yanmega is able to use a handful of coverage moves depending on its team composition for a select few checks to Bug-type teams like Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn, unfortunately it has very few strong coverage moves, thus disabling it from covering multiple Pokemon at once. While Yanmega's typing is decent offensively it's rather lacking defensively, leaving it weak to common Fire-, Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, and Flying-type moves. Stealth Rock is the most common entry hazard and is able to take away up to 50% of Yanmega's health because of its typing. Yanmega also has relatively poor bulk which means that it has a hard time taking hits, even if they're just neutral or even some resisted hits.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect allows Yanmega to scout for Z-Moves and guarantees that Yanmega gets a speed boost. Air Slash is Yanmega's main Flying STAB move, capable of dealing massive damage to Pokemon like Kommo-o and Mega Heracross. Giga Drain allows Yanmega to bypass otherwise checks like Mega Diancie, Seismitoad, Mega Swampert, and Gastrodon. Bug Buzz can be used instead of Giga Drain since it is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and allows it to bypass Dark- and Psychic-type Pokemon like Hydreigon and Mew but, Bug-type teams don't have much trouble dealing with these teams, thus making it kind of unnecessary. Ancient Power can be used to hit Volcarona, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Charizard Y, for extra damage and this can be useful since they are all threats to Bug-type teams, the reason to use Ancient Power instead of Hidden Power Rock is because of its chance to get an Omni-boost, which, can be quite useful at times. Hidden Power Ice allows Yanmega to surpass Pokemon 4x weak to it, mainly Dragonite, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Hidden Power Fire is yet another option to hit Scizor, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn which are all capable of taking Yanmega's STAB attacks.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with Maximum Special Attack investment and a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential. A Timid nature can be used to outspeed certain Choice Scarf users at +1 like Heracross and Landorus-T which it'd otherwise get outsped by. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to gain a boost in Speed every turn, allowing it to outspeed a majority of the metagame after just one turn. Life Orb further enhances Yanmega's damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Be considerate when using Protect since other set up sweepers like Volcarona might benefit from this turn to set up for themselves. It's best to not switch Yanmega in on Stealth Rock so Yanmega can switch in more times during the match, it's also best to keep Yanmega as healthy as possible in general, especially if the opposing team has a priority user. Yanmega is best used as a late-game cleaner to clean through the opposing team once it is weakened. Yanmega's bulk is pretty bad and thus it should be avoided to directly bring it in on an attack, it's best to bring Yanmega in via a fainted teammate, a double switch, or via a slower U-turn from teammates like Mega Scizor. Yanmega can also be brought in on Pokemon like Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Gastrodon, and Quagsire which tend to have a passive nature. Try to avoid getting paralyzed because this makes Yanmega rely on Speed Boost boosts too much. Use Yanmega's coverage moves accordingly to what is on the opposing field as it is generally ineffective to predict with Yanmega, it should also be considered if it is actually worth it to reveal Yanmega's coverage moves if it's early-game since the opponent might scout for it, and knowing Yanmega's coverage moves allow them to play around it accordingly.

Team Options
========

When using Yanmega's hazard removal, Pokemon like Armaldo or Forretress are required because of its 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Armaldo and Forretress are both also capable of setting up hazards, allowing Yanmega to get more KOs easily. Assault Vest Araquanid is a good teammate because it can take Ice- and Fire-type attacks with relative ease for Yanmega thanks to its ability Water Bubble. Galvantula is capable of setting up Sticky Webs for Yanmega which allows Yanmega to outspeed more Pokemon and be less reliant on Speed Boost, Galvantula can also help Yanmega by threatening Flying-types with its STAB Electric-type attacks. Pokemon like Choice Scarf Buzzwole and Choice Scarf Heracross can be useful if Yanmega is lacking Bug Buzz as they are capable of dealing with Psychic-, Dark-, and Rock-types which Yanmega tends to struggle against because it can't do much to damage them. Yanmega also appreciates Pokemon that are able to dispose of Steel-types since it has a hard time dealing with them, Volcarona, Buzzwole, Heracross, Mega Heracross, and Mega Pinsir are capable of doing so. Pokemon that can weaken walls like Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Mega Heracross, and Mega Scizor are very useful for Yanmega as they ease its job to clean up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Yanmega can opt to use a Tinted Lens set instead of Speed Boost to break walls but missing out on the consistent boosting of Yanmega's Speed Boost is way too good for it to pass up on since it's otherwise rather slow. Hidden Power Ground can be used to OHKO Heatran and Stakataka which in most cases can completely wall Yanmega, but this is generally not preferred because Yanmega has to give up a coverage option that is very important.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types are capable of walling Yanmega depending on the coverage moves it runs, for example if Yanmega is using Hidden Power Ground it allows it to bypass Heatran and Stakataka but leaves it walled by Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela but it can deal with these Pokemon thanks to Hidden Power Fire, which unfortunately if ran leaves it walled by Heatran and Stakataka.

**Stealth Rock**: Because of Yanmega's 4x Rock-type weakness it loses 50% of its health upon switch in, limiting its potential switch in opportunities.

**Chansey**: Chansey blanket checks Yanmega thanks to its huge HP and Special Defense stat that is backed by Eviolite, it can just keep wearing Yanmega down because it doesn't take much damage from Yanmega's moves at all.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Yanmega struggles heavily against specially defensive walls such as Mantine, Cradily, and Mega Sableye because it's incapable of breaking through them.

**Rock-type Pokemon** Rock-type Pokemon like Mega Diancie, Terrakion, Cradily, and Nihilego are capable of dealing with Yanmega thanks to their 4x Super Effective STAB moves, however they have to be wary of Giga Drain as it will do a decent chunk of damage to them.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Due to Yanmega's poor defensive typing and rather lacking defensive stats it's weak to a lot of common coverage moves that are super effective to it such as Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, Fire-, and Flying-type moves and it tends to get KOed by a lot of them.

**Priority**: Due to Yanmega's frail defenses in tandem with Life Orb means it gets worn down relatively fast to the point where it's in range of priority attacks from Pokemon like Scizor, Dragonite, Mimikyu, and Diggersby.
implemented, thanks

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
Yanmega carves itself a niche on Bug-type teams as a cleaner and that can do its job effectively thanks to a passable Special Attack stat and its access to Speed Boost (RC) to consistently boosting its Speed. Yanmega is able to use a handful of coverage moves depending on its team composition for a select few checks to Bug-type teams like Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn; (SC) unfortunately, (AC) it has very few strong of these coverage moves are strong, thus disabling it from covering multiple Pokemon at once. While Yanmega's typing is decent offensively, (AC) it's rather lacking defensively, leaving it weak to common Fire-, Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, and Flying-type moves. In particular, Stealth Rock is the most common entry hazard and is able to take takes away up to 50% of Yanmega's health because of its this typing. Yanmega also has relatively poor bulk, (AC) which means that it has a hard time taking hits, even if they're just neutral or even some resisted hits.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect allows Yanmega to scout for Z-Moves and guarantees that Yanmega it gets a Speed boost. Air Slash is Yanmega's main Flying STAB move, capable of dealing massive damage to Pokemon like Kommo-o and Mega Heracross. Giga Drain allows Yanmega to bypass otherwise checks Pokemon that otherwise check it like Mega Diancie, Seismitoad, Mega Swampert, and Gastrodon. Bug Buzz can be used instead of Giga Drain, (AC) since it is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and allows it to bypass Dark- and Psychic-type Pokemon like Hydreigon and Mew, (AC) but (RC) Bug-type teams don't have much trouble dealing with these teams, thus making it kind of unnecessary. Ancient Power can be used to hit Volcarona, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Charizard Y (RC) for extra damage, (AC) and this can be useful since they are all of which are threats to Bug-type teams. (period) The reason to use Ancient Power instead of Hidden Power Rock is because of its chance to get an Omni-boost, which, boost all Yanmega's stats, which can be quite useful at times. Hidden Power Ice allows Yanmega to surpass beat Pokemon 4x weak to it, mainly Dragonite, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Hidden Power Fire is yet another option to hit Scizor, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, (AC) which are all capable of taking Yanmega's STAB attacks.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with maximum Special Attack investment and a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential. A Timid nature can be used to outspeed certain Choice Scarf users at +1 like Heracross and Landorus-T, (AC) which it'd otherwise get outsped by. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to gain a boost in Speed every turn, allowing it to outspeed a majority of the metagame after just one turn. Life Orb further enhances Yanmega's damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Yanmega is best used as a late-game cleaner to cleave through the opposing team once it is weakened. Be considerate mindful when using Protect, (AC) since other set up setup sweepers like Volcarona might benefit from this turn to set up for themselves. It's best to not switch Yanmega in on Stealth Rock so Yanmega can switch in more times during the match, and it's also best to keep Yanmega as healthy as possible in general, especially if the opposing team has a priority user. Yanmega is best used as a late-game cleaner to clean through the opposing team once it is weakened. Generally, Yanmega's bulk is pretty bad, (AC) and thus it should be avoided to directly bring it in on an attack; (SC) it's best to bring Yanmega in via a fainted teammate, on a double switch, or via a slower U-turn from teammates like Mega Scizor. Yanmega can also be brought in on Pokemon like Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Gastrodon, and Quagsire, (AC) which tend to have a passive nature. Try to avoid getting paralyzed, (AC) because this makes Yanmega rely on Speed Boost boosts too much. Use Yanmega's coverage moves accordingly to hit what is on the opposing side of the field, (AC) as it is generally ineffective to predict with Yanmega. (period) It should also be considered if it is actually worth it to reveal Yanmega's coverage moves if it's early-game, (AC) since the opponent might scout for it, and knowing Yanmega's coverage moves allow allows them to play around it accordingly.

Team Options
========

When using Yanmega's Yanmega, entry hazard removal (RC) Pokemon like Armaldo or Forretress are required because of its 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Armaldo and Forretress are both also capable of setting up hazards, allowing Yanmega to get more KOs more easily. Assault Vest Araquanid is a good teammate because it can take Ice- and Fire-type attacks with relative ease for Yanmega thanks to its ability Water Bubble. Galvantula is capable of setting up Sticky Webs Web for Yanmega, (AC) which allows Yanmega it to outspeed more Pokemon and be less reliant on Speed Boost, Galvantula can also help Yanmega by threatening as well as threaten Flying-types with its STAB Electric-type attacks. Pokemon like Choice Scarf Buzzwole and Choice Scarf Heracross can be useful if Yanmega is lacking Bug Buzz, (AC) as they are capable of dealing with Psychic-, Dark-, and Rock-types, (AC) which Yanmega tends to struggle against because it can't do much to damage them. Yanmega also appreciates Pokemon that are able to dispose of Steel-types, (AC) since it has a hard time dealing with them, Volcarona, Buzzwole, Heracross, Mega Heracross, and Mega Pinsir are capable of doing so. Pokemon that can weaken walls like Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Mega Heracross, and Mega Scizor are very useful for Yanmega, (AC) as they ease its job to clean up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Yanmega can opt to use a Tinted Lens set instead of Speed Boost to break walls, (AC) but missing out on the consistent boosting of Yanmega's Speed Boost is way too good for it to pass up on since it's otherwise rather slow. Hidden Power Ground can be used to OHKO Heatran and Stakataka, (AC) which in most cases can completely wall Yanmega, but this is generally not preferred because Yanmega has to give up an important coverage option that is very important.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types are capable of walling Yanmega depending on the coverage moves it runs; (SC) for example, (AC) if Yanmega is using Hidden Power Ground, (AC) it allows it to can bypass Heatran and Stakataka but leaves it is walled by Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela, (AC) whereas but it can deal with these Pokemon thanks to if running Hidden Power Fire, which unfortunately if ran leaves it walled by Heatran and Stakataka.

**Stealth Rock**: Because of Yanmega's 4x Rock-type weakness it loses 50% of its health upon switching in, limiting its potential switch in opportunities to do so.

**Chansey**: Chansey blanket checks any Yanmega thanks to its huge HP and Special Defense stat that is backed by Eviolite; (SC) it can just keep wearing Yanmega down because it doesn't take much damage from Yanmega's moves at all.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Yanmega struggles heavily against specially defensive walls such as Mantine, Cradily, and Mega Sableye because it's incapable of breaking through them.

**Rock-type Pokemon** Rock-type Pokemon like Mega Diancie, Terrakion, Cradily, and Nihilego are capable of dealing with Yanmega thanks to their 4x super effective STAB moves; (SC) however, (AC) they have to be wary of Giga Drain, (AC) as it will do a decent chunk of damage to them.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Due to Yanmega's poor defensive typing and rather lacking defensive stats it's weak to tends to get KOed by a lot of common super effective coverage moves that are super effective to it such as Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, Fire-, and Flying-type moves and it tends to get KOed by a lot of them.

**Priority**: Due to Yanmega's frail poor defenses in tandem with Life Orb recoil, (AC) means it gets worn down relatively fast to the point where it's in range of priority attacks from Pokemon like Scizor, Dragonite, Mimikyu, and Diggersby.

+ implemented bc writer is dead

Last edited:
Reactions: asa

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2

[OVERVIEW]
Yanmega carves itself a niche on Bug-type teams as a cleaner that can do its job effectively thanks to a passable Special Attack stat and access to Speed Boost to consistently boost its Speed. Yanmega is able to use a handful of coverage moves depending on its team composition for a select few checks to Bug-type teams like Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn; unfortunately, very few of these coverage moves are strong, thus disabling it from covering multiple Pokemon at once. While Yanmega's typing is decent offensively, it's rather lacking defensively, leaving it weak to common Fire-, Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, and Flying-type moves. In particular, Stealth Rock takes away 50% of Yanmega's health because of this typing. Yanmega also has relatively poor bulk, which means that it has a hard time taking hits, even neutral or even some resisted hits.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect allows Yanmega to scout for Z-Moves and guarantees that it gets a Speed boost. Air Slash is Yanmega's main Flying-type STAB move, capable of dealing massive damage to Pokemon like Kommo-o and Mega Heracross. Giga Drain allows Yanmega to bypass Pokemon that otherwise check it like Mega Diancie, Seismitoad, Mega Swampert, and Gastrodon. Bug Buzz can be used instead of Giga Drain, since it is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and allows it to bypass Dark- and Psychic-type Pokemon like Hydreigon and Mew, but Bug-type teams don't have much trouble dealing with these teams these Pokemon are on, thus making it kind of unnecessary. Ancient Power can be used to hit Volcarona, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Charizard Y for extra damage, all of which are threats to Bug-type teams. The reason to use Ancient Power instead of Hidden Power Rock is because of its chance to boost all Yanmega's stats, which can be quite useful at times. Hidden Power Ice allows Yanmega to beat Pokemon 4x weak to it, mainly Dragonite, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Hidden Power Fire is yet another option to hit Scizor, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, which are all capable of taking Yanmega's STAB attacks.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with maximum Special Attack investment and a Modest nature maximizes Yanmega's offensive potential. A Timid nature can be used to outspeed certain Choice Scarf users at +1 like Heracross and Landorus-T, which it'd otherwise get outsped by. Speed Boost allows Yanmega to gain a boost in Speed every turn, allowing it to outspeed a majority of the metagame after just one turn. Life Orb further enhances Yanmega's damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Yanmega is best used as a late-game cleaner to cleave through the opposing team once it is weakened. Be mindful when using Protect, since other setup sweepers like Volcarona might benefit from this turn to set up for themselves. It's best to not switch Yanmega in on Stealth Rock so Yanmega can switch in more times during the match, and it's best to keep Yanmega as healthy as possible in general, especially if the opposing team has a priority user. Yanmega's bulk is pretty bad, and thuso it should be avoided to directly bring itswitching in on an attack in general; it's best to bring Yanmega in via a fainted teammate, on a double switch, or via a slower U-turn from teammates like Mega Scizor. Yanmega can also be brought in on Pokemon like Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Gastrodon, and Quagsire, which tend to have a passive nature. Try to avoid getting paralyzed, because this makes Yanmega rely on Speed Boost boosts (awkward phrasing) too much. Use Yanmega's coverage moves to hit what is on the opposing side of the field, as it is generally ineffective to predict with Yanmega. It should also be considered if it is actually worth it to reveal Yanmega's coverage moves early-game, since the opponent might scout for it, and knowing Yanmega's coverage moves allows them to play around it accordingly.

Team Options
========

When using Yanmega, entry hazard removal Pokemon like Armaldo orand Forretress are required because of its 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Armaldo and Forretress are both also capable of setting up hazards, allowing Yanmega to get KOs more easily. Assault Vest Araquanid is a good teammate because it can take Ice- and Fire-type attacks with relative ease for Yanmega thanks to its ability Water Bubble. Galvantula is capable of setting up Sticky Web for Yanmega, which allows it to outspeed more Pokemon and be less reliant on Speed Boost, as well as threatening Flying-types with its STAB Electric-type attacks. Pokemon like Choice Scarf Buzzwole and Choice Scarf Heracross can be useful if Yanmega is lacking Bug Buzz, as they are capable of dealing with Psychic-, Dark-, and Rock-types, which Yanmega tends to struggle against. Yanmega also appreciates Pokemon that are able to dispose of Steel-types, since it has a hard time dealing with them,;(sc) Volcarona, Buzzwole, Heracross, Mega Heracross, and Mega Pinsir are capable of doing so. Pokemon that can weaken walls like Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Mega Heracross, and Mega Scizor are very useful for Yanmega, as they ease its job to clean up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Yanmega can opt to use a Tinted Lens set instead of Speed Boost to break walls, but the consistent boosting of Yanmega's Speed Boost is way too good to pass up. Hidden Power Ground can be used to OHKO Heatran and Stakataka, which in most cases can completely wall Yanmega, but this is generally not preferred because Yanmega has to give up an important coverage option.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types are capable of walling Yanmega depending on the coverage moves it runs; for example, if Yanmega is using Hidden Power Ground, it can bypass Heatran and Stakataka but is walled by Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela, whereas it can deal with these Pokemon if running Hidden Power Fire.

**Stealth Rock**: Because of Yanmega's 4x Rock-type weakness, (AC) it loses 50% of its health upon switching in, limiting its potential opportunities to do so.

**Chansey**: Chansey checks any Yanmega set thanks to its huge HP and Special Defense stat that is backed by Eviolite; it can just keep wearing Yanmega down because it doesn't take much damage from Yanmega's moves at all.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Yanmega struggles heavily against specially defensive walls such as Mantine, Cradily, and Mega Sableye because they can easily shrug off any of its attacks. (something like that this isnt really saying much)

**Rock-type Pokemon** Rock-type Pokemon like Mega Diancie, Terrakion, Cradily, and Nihilego are capable of dealing with Yanmega thanks to their 4x super effective STAB moves; however, they have to be wary of Giga Drain, as it will do a decent chunk of damage to them.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Due to Yanmega's poor defensive typing and rather lacking defensive stats, (AC) it tends to get KOed by a lot of common super effective coverage moves such as Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, Fire-, and Flying-type moves.

**Priority**: Due to Yanmega's poor defenses in tandem with Life Orb recoil, it gets worn down relatively fast to the point where it's in range of priority attacks from Pokemon like Scizor, Dragonite, Mimikyu, and Diggersby.

[OVERVIEW]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect allows Yanmega to scout for Z-Moves and guarantees that it gets a Speed boost. Air Slash is Yanmega's main Flying-type STAB move, capable of dealing massive damage to Pokemon like Kommo-o and Mega Heracross. Giga Drain allows Yanmega to bypass Pokemon that otherwise check it like Mega Diancie, Seismitoad, Mega Swampert, and Gastrodon. Bug Buzz can be used instead of Giga Drain, since it is Yanmega's strongest STAB move and allows it to bypass Dark- and Psychic-type Pokemon like Hydreigon and Mew, but Bug-type teams don't have much trouble dealing with the teams these Pokemon are on, thus making it kind of unnecessary. Ancient Power can be used to hit Volcarona, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Charizard Y for extra damage, all of which are threats to Bug-type teams. The reason to use Ancient Power instead of Hidden Power Rock is because of its chance to boost all Yanmega's stats, which can be quite useful at times. Hidden Power Ice allows Yanmega to beat Pokemon 4x weak to it, mainly Dragonite, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Hidden Power Fire is yet another option to hit Scizor, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, which are all capable of taking Yanmega's STAB attacks.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Yanmega is best used as a late-game cleaner to cleave through the opposing team once it is weakened. Be mindful when using Protect, since other setup sweepers like Volcarona might benefit from this turn to set up for themselves. It's best to not switch Yanmega in on Stealth Rock so Yanmega can switch in more times during the match, and it's best to keep Yanmega as healthy as possible in general, especially if the opposing team has a priority user. Yanmega's bulk is pretty bad, so it should avoid directly switching in on an attack in general; it's best to bring Yanmega in via a fainted teammate, on a double switch, or via a slower U-turn from teammates like Mega Scizor. Yanmega can also be brought in on Pokemon like Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Gastrodon, and Quagsire, which tend to have a passive nature. Try to avoid getting paralyzed, because this makes Yanmega rely on Speed boosts too much. Use Yanmega's coverage moves to hit what is on the opposing side of the field, as it is generally ineffective to predict with Yanmega. It should also be considered if it is actually worth it to reveal Yanmega's coverage moves early-game, since the opponent might scout for it, and knowing Yanmega's coverage moves allows them to play around it accordingly.

Team Options
========

When using Yanmega, entry hazard removal Pokemon like Armaldo and Forretress are required because of its 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Armaldo and Forretress are both also capable of setting up hazards, allowing Yanmega to get KOs more easily. Assault Vest Araquanid is a good teammate because it can take Ice- and Fire-type attacks with relative ease for Yanmega thanks to its ability Water Bubble. Galvantula is capable of setting up Sticky Web for Yanmega, which allows it to outspeed more Pokemon and be less reliant on Speed Boost, as well as threatening Flying-types with its STAB Electric-type attacks. Pokemon like Choice Scarf Buzzwole and Choice Scarf Heracross can be useful if Yanmega is lacking Bug Buzz, as they are capable of dealing with Psychic-, Dark-, and Rock-types, which Yanmega tends to struggle against. Yanmega also appreciates Pokemon that are able to dispose of Steel-types, since it has a hard time dealing with them; Volcarona, Buzzwole, Heracross, Mega Heracross, and Mega Pinsir are capable of doing so. Pokemon that can weaken walls like Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Mega Heracross, and Mega Scizor are very useful for Yanmega, as they ease its job to clean up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Because of Yanmega's 4x Rock-type weakness, it loses 50% of its health upon switching in, limiting its potential opportunities to do so.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Yanmega struggles heavily against specially defensive walls such as Mantine, Cradily, and Mega Sableye because they can easily shrug off any of its attacks.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Due to Yanmega's poor defensive typing and rather lacking defensive stats, it tends to get KOed by a lot of common super effective coverage moves such as Electric-, Ice-, Rock-, Fire-, and Flying-type moves.

provided a c/p bc writer is dead, tagging The Dutch Plumberjack to implement and change thread tag to done, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)