Media Anime and Manga Thread MK3 - Beware Spoilers

RODAN

Banned deucer.
i did the thing where i watch everything again. gonna split it into 3 categories this time; must watch, watch 3 eps, drop

MUST WATCH
---
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni - Don't let the premise of this one scare you away, it seems to have all the makings of a sweet romance series. This show also has impeccable direction. Loved this a lot

Mitsuboshi Colors - This is absolutely adorable but in an extremely bratty way. It really captures the feeling of shithead children well.

Violet Evergarden - I'm generally not the biggest KyoAni fan but this show is interesting and gorgeous enough that I want to see it all the way through to the end.

Pop Team Epic - I'm not going to describe this one.

GIVE IT 3 EPS
---
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho - Cute Girls Go To Antarctica. Surprisingly grounded in reality.

Gakuen Babysitters - Cute Boys Raise Cute Babies. This show is my pick for hidden gem of the season, episode one hit almost everything I like in a show, and it wasn't even that bishie!

Killing Bites - High trash content. Think of it like sexy animorphs but they also fight to the death. Extremely fun.

Citrus - I'm not going to describe this one.

Darling in the FranXX - This will probably be bad, but trigger is handling it and it has cute girls and the mechs are cool enough. But jesus lol this ep 1 is some stupid shit.

DROP (for this one im only going to list notably bad shows you can infer the rest are also on this list)
---
Ryuuou no Oshigoto! - Jesus christ

Slow Start - Jesus christ

Mardchen Madchen - Awful

Ito Junji - This show was supposed to be good but episode one was so fucking awful that it actively made me angry.

the rest of the shows arent completely awful like the 3 listed but didnt do enough to hook me/interest me at all

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
can someone redpill me on violet evergarden? i've heard countless people sing its praises but i don't personally see the appeal/couldn't really justify watching it due to my backlog, but i'm happy to give it a spin if someone itt can convince me of its greatness.

otherwise i'm just taking stuff slow catching up on a few 2017 shows i never got around to finishing like princess principal and made in abyss both of which are really solid. i'm even watching a few seasonal shows too (mainly devilman and pop team epic, gonna see if franxx is any good but i have my doubts).

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
This season inspires very little confidence in me

Mark Madsen Marchen Madchen had one of the worst first episodes I've ever seen, and I followed it up by watching another atrocious first episode in Hakyuu Hoshin Engi. Do not watch either, they're both shit.

If Devilman counts, it was fine. Not great, fine. The characters were pretty dated and flat, some of the animation wasn't as crisp as similarly animated shows (LIKE PING PONG, WATCH PING PONG), and a lot of the sex/violence just felt tacky. I get that it's dated because it's literally old and that the sex/violence sort of underscores the "demon" elements, but when the source material came out is not a consideration I make in determining if I like a character or not, etc.

Darling in the FranXX had a good first episode with hints that the show could end up being really mediocre. Lots of the uncomfortable kind of fan service, too. Hopefully that gets toned down.

Death March was alright, but it's another Isekai show. It seems like readers of the source material say it subverts a lot of the tropes in decidedly not trying to be focused on battles and what-not, though. I'm not holding my breath.

Ramens was fun enough, but the premise is awful, and it looks like the show very easily can become terrible. A city where 3% of the population are hitmen sounds like a city where a lot of people are unemployed and throw "hitman" on their resume to look cool, because there's no way that one city can employ that many hitmen like c'mon.

Beatless's first episode had some decent elements, but looks like the show overall is gonna be pretty bad. The characters seem pretty awful besides the MC's little sister and the main robot girl. The Terms and Conditions scene was solid. The other robot's "personalities", people in-world's reaction to robots, and other such stuff inspire no confidence, though. Also, the preview for ep 2 was all scenes from like the dining room???? This is gonna be terrible isn't it?

YowaPeda and Nanatsu no Taizai are gonna be reliable and the only things I'm sure this season I'll definitely like. I'll check out Violet Evergarden as well, but I tend not to love KyoAni stuff so who knows. Basilisk I saw about half of the original in before having it all spoiled for me and not wanting to pick it up again. The original was solid, but I have no clue how a sequel comes out of it and apparently it doesn't look great so far from what I've heard.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not a very spoilery post, just got hide tages for separation.
Mitsuboshi Colours is a lot of fun and it had me smirking all the way through; those kids are total shitheads and I love it. They remind me of actual kids based on my experience babysitting and when I spent a week doing work experience at a primary school, and this isn’t something that a lot of shows are able to capture well so huge kudos to the writers here. This show is just hugely entertaining, so strong recc from me.

The new Cardcaptor Sakura seems to have retained a lot of the charm that made the old CCS so god-damn good (whether that’s Yamazaki’s lies, Touya’s tormenting of Sakura, or even just the way that 6 cheerleader uniform-clad Sakuras jump up and spell “Sakura” in English with their bodies in the ED), and all in all I have really high hopes for it. Most of the supporting cast has been retained across the shift, which I’m glad about, and the card from episode 2 definitely showed promise that we’re going to be getting just as strong a selection of fights and card concepts as we got in the old show. We’re also starting to get the foreshadowing about the arc’s conclusion, just like we did in OG CCS; glad they didn’t ditch that aspect as it made the original that much more introguing early on. It’s a shame that the art style shifted though; in shots of the school gate you can see CG people which look about as bad as the CG people from Tsuki ga Kirei (albeit without the super-soft art style that the latter had), and the colour pallet feels a little off and overly bright in places, not helped by the fact that one of the big positives of the old art style was the fact that it meant there was never any glare (which this new one has big issues with).

HxH was pretty solid and had a large number of very, VERY strong aspects (character writing, the way it portrays the concepts of good and evil, Nen being just an extremely good mechanic for a shounen etc.), but I did have a few gripes with it. Spending 2 episodes on 2 attacks and narrating exactly what you can see on screen is fucking awful pacing and screenplay. I don’t need to explain why. It probably didn’t need to spend 3 full cours on the last bit of the chimera ant arc (1 hour in the world of HxH), but I’ll let it slide somewhat just because most of what happened after the fucking abysmal first three episodes was generally really good; I’m glad they kinda stepped back from Gon and co. in that arc as a whole anyway; the King and Komugi were more interesting tenfold (“villains” are in general handled really well throughout HxH, granted I’m using that term very loosely ‘cuz Gon almost feels more evil than the King towards the end of that arc). Special props for the Phantom Troupe too ‘cuz they fucking own. My other huge issue with the show comes down to the way that they handled the Heaven’s Arena arc; I get that it was important as a way of introducing Nen to the series while also providing precedent for the way that chimera ants open their nen pores, but at the same time they could’ve done waaayyy more to at least attempt to make the arc interesting; I was bored out of my skull until Gon vs Hisoka (which was great) and it just comes down to the fact that they just wasted all possible potential that a “battle ladder” arc presented us with.

I liked this a lot; the premise is cool (albeit very silly when looking a the synopsis), and the execution was also really solid on the whole. Even down to the little details such as listing the opening credits in English, this show just generally pays a lot of attention to little details and really gets you invested in its early-1900s steampunk alternate-universe London; beyond this, the characters feel strong and likable, amd they all get fleshed out to varying degrees, which is something other episodic shows don’t handle as well. All im all strong recc from me. I hope enough people buy the Ange figure to let them make a season 2.

Last edited:
Yuru Camp is my pleasant surprise of the season, it's just really chill and enjoyable and I feel like I could watch blue hair in her giant coat have random camping adventures for the entire show. The rest of the cast doesn't seem quite as good but it should stay solid.

Death March wins the biggest copout award for having a protagonist who's an adult and very weak and vulnerable and then by the end of the first episode is neither of these things.

Ito Junji is really weird, it straddles the line between horror and comedy and I'm not really sure it does either well but it seems like it's an omnibus format so I'll probably give it a bit of time.

Grancrest is kinda generic and not amazingly well executed but also decent enough to be enjoyable, pure non-isekai fantasy shows aren't too common these days.

Hoshin Engi is apparently adopting 23 volumes of manga in 23 episodes and it very, very much shows. If you want an idea how rushed it is, in the first episode:
-Starts out with a flash forward to the protagonist fighting some unknown future enemy
-Shifts back to present, premise is laid out (these guys are bad, you need to seal them)
-Hero is introduced, gets his superpower and animal (?) sidekick from obligatory old man sensei
-Hero meets his chaotic neutral rival, (i like how he was basically "Hmm, this protagonist guy sounds interesting, I'll go see what he's like" and then does so 10 seconds later) they fight, and the rival acknowledges him
-Big bad is introduced
-Hero attempts to confront big bad, fails, gets captured
-Hero (very) indirectly causes the deaths of a bunch of innocent people and has his moment of growth. Though he already had the backstory of having his entire family killed or something.
-Next arc is teased

can someone redpill me on violet evergarden? i've heard countless people sing its praises but i don't personally see the appeal/couldn't really justify watching it due to my backlog, but i'm happy to give it a spin if someone itt can convince me of its greatness.
It has a nice solid premise (soldier who knows nothing but war slowly adjusting to civilian life), it's being handled by Kyoani so it's very nice to look at, the source material won a bunch of awards or something, etc. It hasn't really amazed so far but it's showing a lot of potential.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It has a nice solid premise (soldier who knows nothing but war slowly adjusting to civilian life), it's being handled by Kyoani so it's very nice to look at, the source material won a bunch of awards or something, etc. It hasn't really amazed so far but it's showing a lot of potential.
sounds like pretty much every kyoani show /a/ raves about but i'll watch it anyway lol

sounds like pretty much every kyoani show /a/ raves about but i'll watch it anyway lol
OK so

It's a kyoani show so the lines are delivered kinda poorly and everything is kinda stilted, ya know what I mean?

At the same time it's the closest a kyoani show has managed to hit me home in the past decade. I think. Clannad AS was 2008 right?

finished devilman crybaby, spoilers for the entire series following
I liked the beginning and I like the series conceptually, but too many things were just botched for me to enjoy this as much as I probably should have. I've seen a lot of praise online and I've literally read comments calling Crybaby "the best anime of the decade", but personally it flopped on too many fronts - paper-thin characters with unclear motivations, kinda weird writing, terrible pacing in the latter half of the show, and other things I'll mention.

Things that people seem to be praising/critiquing that I don't think are that big of a deal:
  • The art. I'll start by saying that I'm a fan of Yuasa's work and I wasn't a huge fan of the art in Crybaby, but it wasn't something that impacted my enjoyment of the show too much. I generally prefer ambitious but occasionally sloppy art to something bog-standard, but I also think the animation in Crybaby was strange or low-quality at times to the point where it broke immersion. I would have liked for any scene involving running to look a little better given how integral of a motif it is in the show. At the same time I don't take nearly as much issue with the art as I do with the quality of Crybaby's story and characters.
  • The music. I thought the electronic tracks generally did a good job of setting the mood for various scenes but I wasn't particularly blown away by Devilman's OST, especially in the second half of the show - I actually found the soundtrack for a certain scene in Episode 9 (you know the one) to be somewhat unfitting.
  • The excessive violence/sex. It's a show with a lot of biblical references and a heavy focus on sin and temptation, of course it's going to be filled with gratuitous violence and sex. This shouldn't really be an issue, imo.
  • The ending. I generally liked it.
Things that I disliked:
  • The pacing and the coherence of many scenes. The biggest individual moment I can point to is at the end of episode 6 when Ryo outs Koda as a demon, and then the start of episode 7 where we're immediately thrust into this dystopia where people are murdering each other in the streets while life at home seems to have... not changed much? Or at least not enough for Miki, who's still running on the track after school for whatever reason. I disliked how Akira's parents are introduced and then immediately killed off in what is meant to be an emotional scene but is difficult to be invested in when we literally just met them. I would have liked to see a slower descent into the setting of episode 7, which would make it easier to be invested in the atrocities that we see afterwards without completely breaking immersion. I loved the madcap pacing of certain scenes, such as those in the first 3 or so episodes, but I think others were erratic to the point that they were difficult to follow. For instance, the episode that ends on the scene where Miko and her rapper boyfriend go to a Sabbath and Miko becomes a Devilman, and the boyfriend is apparently killed? But either we never see him die or it's shown very briefly while the next episode involves someone who looks exactly like him as well as the track guy from the other school from episode 1 who's also a Devilman but looks a lot like what rapper boyfriend would have looked like after a makeover. Then the entire scene toward the end of the series where one guy recognizes rapper boyfriend's sunglasses inside Miko's bag which leads to him betraying the other rappers, except at this point you're so confused about what's happening that none of it carries any weight. Maybe I'm just not observant, who knows. A lot of other cuts were also jarring or confusing but I won't mention them all. I think the ending was fine, though, as fast as it was - I just would have liked to understand more of what was happening after Akira assembles his Devilman army while humanity is apparently on its last legs.
  • Character motivations. I understand that Ryo is Satan but that doesn't make his character from before episode 8 any better, and it is difficult to get invested in his relationship with Akira when it's so poorly established and difficult to take seriously. Why does Akira just accept that Ryo murdered multiple people in the nightclub in order to manipulate Akira's body into being possessed? Why is he still unquestioningly loyal to him afterwards? Why does Akira just go along with the plan to turn Koda into a demon in a stadium full of students? Why are we meant to care about the connection between Akira and Ryo when there is barely any development for it, when we don't learn about their backstories until literally the last five minutes, and when Ryo basically dies and is replaced with Satan!Ryo (not literally, but from a character perspective)? Why is Miki so naively optimistic about everything, showing almost no growth or development even after learning that her entire fucking family died? Why does Akira decide to go confront Ryo, stop to interrupt a mass crucifixion and save people, then immediately decide that he needs to turn around and make sure Miki is safe instead of just doing that from the get-go? Why is "Akira decides to do something but conveniently arrives just soon enough to see his loved ones get murdered" used not once, but twice in back-to-back episodes? Why is Miko's very promising character arc completely nonsensical after she becomes a Devilman? How does she go from fucking the corpse of her rapist to the realization that she's being unfair to Miki and giving her life to protect her in the span of, like, two episodes with almost no screentime? What exactly is the point of Koda's character and his betrayal of the human race? In general I had too many issues with the majority of the characters to care about them at all, which made really heavy moments like the massacre in episode 9 slightly miss the mark for me.
Those are the main two, I have more issues but this post is longer than I'd like it to be already. This was not a show that I hated and there are a lot of really strong, standout moments - the entire Sabbath scene in episode 1, Miki's dad's mental breakdown in episode 8, Akira telling Miki about her family in the same episode, and the entire final battle in episode 10 were all things I really liked. I thought the voice acting was amazing, especially from Akira and Miki.

tl;dr devilman crybaby is just boneless berserk

addendum: i understand that that's a ridiculous comparison to make since berserk is heavily inspired by devilman, but i also think that something being old or prototypical of its genre doesn't exempt it from criticisms that we would apply to contemporary series

violet evergarden is good, none of the characters are anything special at the moment but it had my attention and it didn't do anything particularly poorly - plus it looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous

also starting overlord II and dagashi kashi II, against my better judgment - may or may not report back later by episode 3 to share my opinion

for what it's worth I think Kyoani's track record overall is pretty mediocre, in a nutshell they tend to do great adaptions of average to bad material.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
watching kyoani is quite comforting. I feel many people tend to underrate that trait in a barrage of sophistry.

I gotta give a good shout out to Darling in the Franxx. It's a lot of fun, and there's gotta be some kids watching who are confused as all hell by all the suggestive fuxxing.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Girls’ Last Tour was cute. Great music (ESPECIALLY Song of Raindrops), an OP and ED which are both filled to the brim with personality, likeable characters, and a very interesting+mostly lighthearted take on what it means to live in a post-apocalyptic world. I think there are a few things that make this show so appealing; it’s an episodic series that depicts what ordinary life is like in its fictional multi-levelled mega-city, which comes complete with an appealing steampunk/cyberpunk fusion aesthetic, and it does a really good job of not only building its world (even down to little details like using a camera that they are given to tell us what the date is at a few points throughout the show) but also of making this surreal situation that Chito and Yuuri are a part of feel real; the way that they act around big weapons that they find around the world is pretty unnerving in general, and the fact that it takes a giant city-destroying beam to get a negative reaction out of Chito (and even then Yuuri is still giggling uncontrollably after seeing what it can do) really says a lot about what their life must’ve been like before they were forced away from home. The two characters know little of the world they were born into, with them learning more about the world they were born into as they travel around in search of food, and the show askes quite a few really big questions and even takes a jab at answering some of them. It takes activities which, to us, are very ordinary and makes them look like luxuries, and it does this through the really appealing character dynamic between Chito and Yuuri (total opposites wrt basic personality, and the way that they communicate leaves me grinning from ear to ear). All in all, this show gets a strong recc from me.

Martin

If you want a heartwarming show with great direction, a gorgeous aesthetic, and lots of charm, I strongly recommend that you watch A Place Further Than the Universe. Out of the small handful of current seasonals I’ve dipped my toe into, this is far and away my favorite.

I don't keep up with recent anime, although I'm getting back into it because Cardcaptor Sakura's sequel started and it's, against expectations, quite good if that's your thing. I recommend it without hesitation to people familiar with previous CCS material (since the anime really shines if you have emotional attachment to the characters already and it doesn't go to great lengths to familiarise new viewers with the existing relationships between the main characters and why they're so strong, or some of the injokes -- it's definitely made for people who watched CCS the first time around, but CCS still holds up well), and still to anyone who wants an old-style battle-of-the-week mahou shoujo or something lighthearted, read/watch CCS and come watch Clear Card.

Where CCS really excels is that it's an unambiguously positive show that still moves forward; for some this might be saccharine and lame (it is a kids show after all), but everyone is friends, shows kindness to each other, and supports each other in their growth, with the hiccups being very normal for kids. There's no suffering, no sadness, just niceness and warmth between friends and family, and that's what builds them as people. I look forward to Clear Card every Sunday and I watch it with someone who has almost zero familiarity with CCS and who doesn't watch much anime (we watched the OVA and I talked a little bit about the characters and that's about it) and we both enjoy it.

I personally think Clear Card is better because it doesn't spend a long time recapping things, but because it's been a long time since the original series and the original series is, well, old and hard to come by legally, it would attract new viewers more meaningfully if it did. For example, it's hard to appreciate why Tomoyo obsessively runs around and films Sakura and seems so in love with her and she might come off as stupid and frivolous or at best a tired joke to a new viewer who doesn't realise that Tomoyo is a source of great emotional support and wisdom to the MCs, more than a one-note character, and that her filming gimmick is mostly just a way for the series to get Sakura in a new costume every week lmao. So that would be my one caveat. Just posting since I don't imagine there's a strong CCS contingent suddenly sprung up here but it's a pretty big event to me personally to have my childhood series back and for it to be fun, interesting, and good!

I also found all the old anime I downloaded to watch years ago and thought I lost in a bunch of disk transfers, and since I'm going to be without my computer for a while I'm burning it to DVD, so I might finally get through some old good series :') Going to start with Kino's Journey (2003).

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I’m also watching Clear Card but I did not see the original Cardcaptor Sakura when I was younger. I’m really enjoying it so far but I really wish I had seen the original before because it would make me enjoy CC so much more. There are a few things I don’t really understand (like how the brother’s friend has 2 personalities, situation with the friends abroad, etc) but they don’t get in the way really and it’s still a very nice watch. I will definitely pick up the original sometime in the future.

RR

Banned deucer.
Idk if this is a good place to say it but I really hope the recent chapters of the HXH manga get animated soon, more specifically the chrollo vs Hisoka fight, that was one of my favourite fights of all time and I would love to see it animated, and with the DC arc coming up soon I think it would be great to see HXH make a return

late but watched Devilman Crybaby and it was great

not a lot else terribly exciting going on this season (though there are a bunch of good sequels) but Toji no Miko is surprisingly okay for the type of show it is

still can't decide if I like Fate Extra or not, though I respect that it's apparently deviating from the source material a lot which is probably good for a video game adaption

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm supremely frustrated that otherwise excellent movie A Silent Voice doesn't fit an actual confession of love into its bloated 130 minute run time.

Also I've seen both episodes of the FSN cooking show and I realized my problem with it. After two episodes, no one has thrown any shade at all.
Not my Fate.

And now I've binged all three episodes of Fate/Extra. Definitely some major plot changes. It's pretty good so far. I hope at some point it more resembles the research/counterplay of the PSP game, but I can understand them wanting to mix it up instead of doing monster of the week seven times. I don't hate Nero (not a spoiler, just stupid). She's animated enough to feel like a unique character. Mostly the show has the sort of authentic fate feel I talked about with the Prisma Illya movie, I'd argue moreso than the game even did. Nero has already used a conceptual weapon (one not in the original game), something I have yet to see from the 15 servants in Apocrypha. So this show could be the next best thing to Fate/Zero. It's an open road at this point tbh.

I am disappointed that the music sounds so similar to any other Fate series, when the original Extra has hands down the best soundtrack of any Fate media. Also I'm not sure if Rin has Lancer or not but god I hope so. Rin & Lancer was like the second biggest thing to come out of the game (after gender flips for everyone, but fuck that anyway) so it'd be weird not to include it. But the biggest disappointment so far is that they changed Shinji's big twist. It's probably the most memorable moment of the original story, and coming early in the game, it really shocked you into paying more attention. At this point I'm not even sure if this Shinji was supposed to be the ACTUAL Shinji (originally these were just avatars, but that's not the twist).

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.
ok so i have a few thoughts on violet evergarden and its hard for me to word them correctly.

the show is good. but its like, good in a really safe way. it feels almost like one of those oscar bait movies that ends up taking best picture. like spotlight or something. its obviously well done, but there is this level of soullessness to it that really prevents it from taking it to that next level. i can't tell you a single thing VE does wrong, the characters are all pretty good, its goddamn gorgeous, the ost is nice, the plot moves in ways that makes sense. but like. idk. theres nothing about this show thats memorable, or whatever. i have a lot of trouble wording this properly. sorry.

Martin

Hey, it's been a while since the last time this was done in the thread so I might as well bring it up 'cuz I'm in one of my phases of watching a load of anime OPs lol.

Anyway, what are some of your favorite opening sequences?
This just makes me smile; I especially love the march they do at the end–it's extremely cute. Also I really like nano.RIPE's voice alongside the folky backing track.

This is extremely addictive to watch; it bathes in the glory of the show's hypersexualisation and does a lot of referencing back to the classic Cutie Honey OPs (most obviously the first one). Also I'm pretty sure that it's had sections straight up re-skinned in the OPs of shows like Jojo and Flip Flappers.

This is just very visually evocative; does a lot of referencing to the show's themes, and it has a lot of unsubtle ways of telling you about things like world lines (overlapping cogs, clones of people moving identically etc.) and other things which just make it that much more impressive to look back on. Also the credits are such a vital part of its visual presentation.

A Place Further Than The Universe
My first YT video (sub to me IMO) actually talks about this OP; it's just a lot of fun, stuffed to the rafters with personality and charm, is very cute, and has such an insane level of attention to detail; it's impossible to not come out of this OP smiling.

Pokémon Sun and Moon OP 1
I love the Pokémon SM anime's art style so much; it's so expressive and filled with personality–Pokemon's never looked so alive before, and it's just a hell of a lot of fun–and this translates to its OP. You can see into each of the characters' personalities, and there are lots of little details sprinkled here and there such as Rowlet flying being launched upwards at the bottom of the slide onto Alolan Exeggutor's head, and then to top it all off it's sung by Ash's seiyuu with interjections from Pikachu. I just can't sit through the OP without smiling.

The Excentric Family Season 2
I shouldn't really need to explain this one; it's visually very impressive, its credits are integral to its presentation etc. This is probably the single best OP of 2017.

ok so i have a few thoughts on violet evergarden and its hard for me to word them correctly.

the show is good. but its like, good in a really safe way. it feels almost like one of those oscar bait movies that ends up taking best picture. like spotlight or something. its obviously well done, but there is this level of soullessness to it that really prevents it from taking it to that next level. i can't tell you a single thing VE does wrong, the characters are all pretty good, its goddamn gorgeous, the ost is nice, the plot moves in ways that makes sense. but like. idk. theres nothing about this show thats memorable, or whatever. i have a lot of trouble wording this properly. sorry.
idk, I'm iffy on it on the whole but I think there are definitely some issues with the writing

-The fact that Violet was a war hero at the age of 12 or something, this isn't Naruto
-What kind of training school gives you a certification after you fail the official test, then do something sort of right once?
-The fact that apparently nobody read the letter for the golddigger lady in the second episode, including said lady herself. It made the scene where she came in crying more laughable than anything
-5th episode ends with a cliffhanger that's completely forgotten in the 6th
-this is a weird complaint but I feel like they could be doing more to justify the need for Dolls, considering it's a profession that doesn't exist, at least in today's world. Is literacy really poor so the average person is completely reliant on services like this to write letters? If not, it seems like it'd be a pretty unnecessary luxury for most people. Not a huge deal but it could be developed better. And speaking of the setting, having it be basically realistic but giving Violet mechanical arms seems a bit heavy-handed, but I'm getting nitpicky so w/e

on the other hand, the past two episodes have actually been pretty good, so maybe it's turning around, idk

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
idk, I'm iffy on it on the whole but I think there are definitely some issues with the writing

-The fact that Violet was a war hero at the age of 12 or something, this isn't Naruto
-What kind of training school gives you a certification after you fail the official test, then do something sort of right once?
-The fact that apparently nobody read the letter for the golddigger lady in the second episode, including said lady herself. It made the scene where she came in crying more laughable than anything
-5th episode ends with a cliffhanger that's completely forgotten in the 6th
-this is a weird complaint but I feel like they could be doing more to justify the need for Dolls, considering it's a profession that doesn't exist, at least in today's world. Is literacy really poor so the average person is completely reliant on services like this to write letters? If not, it seems like it'd be a pretty unnecessary luxury for most people. Not a huge deal but it could be developed better. And speaking of the setting, having it be basically realistic but giving Violet mechanical arms seems a bit heavy-handed, but I'm getting nitpicky so w/e

on the other hand, the past two episodes have actually been pretty good, so maybe it's turning around, idk
Not going to lie, I definitely thought Violet was a robot, but after doing some research it doesn’t seem like she is, since I think they state in the LN that she’s human. Now I’m confused as to why everyone’s calling her a tool, why she has hands, and why she has no emotions. It made so much sense before to me haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)