SM PU Security guards

Preview
>> <<

Team building Process

I started off with Gurdurr as it is one of my favorite mons in PU because of its good setup opportunities, access to Mach Punch and outstanding bulk when coupled with an Eviolite.

I added Magmortar because it is able to take on some top tier threats in PU such as, Jynx and Lilligant Kricketune. I added Ferroseed at the same time because it's one of the best teammates with Magmortar, being able to setup spikes and resisting Water-type attacks for it, while Magmortar in return can pressure Fire-types with Earthquake.

Mesprit is my Stealth Rock setter as any competitively viable team needs Stealth Rock support, it is able to check a wide variety of PU including Fighting-types which are really scary against my team.

Skuntank is able to Pursuit trap Ghost- and Psychic-types for Gurdurr while also removing hazards which i am fairly weak to.

Floatzel fit the bill here quite nicely because it's able to deal with mons such as Archeops and Drampa which are otherwise rather big problems for my team.

Sets

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Eviolite boosts Gurdurr's bulk to high levels because of its good natural bulk, Guts is Gurdurr's ability of choice because it doesn't get crippled by status that way. Drain Punch *insert Kommo-o dick sucker guy orgasming* is Gurdurr's main STAB move that allows it to recover health while hitting really hard when boosted by a Bulk Up or Guts. Mach Punch makes up for Gurdurr's terrible Speed stat. Knock Off has general good utility and can hit Ghost-types that would otherwise wall this set. Bulk Up boosts Gurdurr's Attack and Defense stat further which can be really usefull to try and pull off a sweep.

Magmortar @
Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
-
Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Assault Vest lets Magmortar check a wide variety of mons in PU while Vital Spirit makes it an excellent check to both Lilligant and Jynx. Fire Blast is Magmortar's main STAB move that targets basically kills anything that does not resist it because of how powerful Magmortar is. Thunderbolt is used for coverage against Water-types that resist Fire Blast which would otherwise be annoying. Hidden Power Grass deals with Gastrodon for my team which it otherwise struggles with. Earthquake is a filler move that chips away at Fire-types for Ferroseed.​

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Eviolite makes Ferroseed extremely bulky and lets it sit in front of many of the PU mons. Spikes is used to support my team and let Gurdurr grab some kills that it otherwise wouldn't. Leech Seed lets Ferroseed recover health to stay healthy throughout the match, it also chips down opponents for my other mons. Gyro Ball means it's not completely passive. Protect lets me scout for z-moves as well as guarantee to recover more health if the opponent is Leech Seeded.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Mesprit is my choice of Stealth Rocker because it also checks common Fighting-types such as Primeape and Hitmonchan which would otherwise be pretty threatening for my team. Colbur Berry lets it escape from Pursuit users such as Skuntank. Psychic is it's main STAB move to hit those Fighting-types. U-turn can gain me momentum. Healing Wish can heal up Magmortar or Gurdurr if any of them get low and i still need them around longer.

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab

Black Sludge gives Skuntank a way to recover health back that it lost from potentially coming in on Stealth Rock to Defog them away. Sucker Punch can play mind games with the opponent between if i will Sucker Punch or Pursuit them. Pursuit traps annoying Psychic- and Ghost-types. Poison Jab deals with Fairy-types such as Clefairy which can be annoying for my team to deal with otherwise.

Floatzel @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall
- Low Kick
- Aqua Jet

Fightinium Z on Floatzel with Low Kick gives it a very powerful way to get rid of Drampa (which is very annoying for my team) and Steel-types. Bulk Up boosts both its Attack and Defense stat allowing it to hit even harder than it already does. Waterfall is its main STAB move that hits really hard if the opponent doesn't resist it. Aqua Jet lets it deal with common scarfers that i really struggle with such as Pyroar.

Threats

Passimian is a very big threat to my team because Mesprit gets worn down rather fast.

Sub Calm Mind Mesprit is able to setup on basically my whole team, luckily i have only found it once on the ladder.

Last edited:

dibs

double iron bashes
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The team looks really solid and fun to play, Mesprit Ferroseed is a reliable hazard core and healing wish compensates for Magmortar's stealth rocks weakness and allows you to use Gurdurr more recklessly against checks like Weezing. Because of this, I only found 2 things that I felt could be improved for the team, which is the specially offensive flying type issue and the lack of an electric immunity. Your flying check is currently Ferroseed, which in combination with the slow nature of the team bar Floatzel leaves you weak against special Oricorio-Sensu (notably the subcm Flyinium set as it can play around Skuntank) and Swanna.

The changes I made were replacing Floatzel with electrium-z Zebstrika and changing Magmortar's thunderbolt to focus blast.

Zebstrika @ Electrium Z
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake
Changing Floatzel to Zebstrika still offers the team the same kind of speed control to revenge threats like Archeops but improves the team's special flying type match up a lot by checking them offensively. It also gave you a more reliable way of beating opposing special Floatzels, as focus blast is able to hit Ferroseed and everything else is slower. Furthermore, it gave the team an electric immunity, which although it isn't the best one in the tier it still helps absorb expected thunder waves and have some sort of counterplay to a voltturn vortex. I opted for electrium-z since the z-move slot was available and due to it's pairing with Magmortar. Zebstrika is notorious for being countered by Lanturn, but Magmortar is able to pressure teams who use Lanturn as their main fire resist with earthquake. Aside from that, the defensive backbone of Gurdurr, Ferroseed and Mesprit provide a good ground type match-up, helping to remove the enemy team's electric immunity efficiently and allow Zebstrika to throw out z-thunderbolt to nuke something.

Since Zebstrika was added the team's match-up against Swanna and Qwilfish is much better, meaning that thunderbolt was less necessary on Magmortar. Therefore, I changed thunderbolt to focus blast since it helps maximise Magmortar's breaking potential, hitting Regirock super effectively and helping against specially defensive Miltanks for Zebstrika.

As I said before, the team is really solid so i'm not surprised nobody has made any suggested changes. Hope these changes give some food for thought.

Last edited:
The team looks really solid and fun to play, Mesprit Ferroseed is a reliable hazard core and healing wish compensates for Magmortar's stealth rocks weakness and allows you to use Gurdurr more recklessly against checks like Weezing. Because of this, I only found 2 things that I felt could be improved for the team, which is the specially offensive flying type issue and the lack of an electric immunity. Your flying check is currently Ferroseed, which in combination with the slow nature of the team bar Floatzel leaves you weak against special Oricorio-Sensu (notably the subcm Flyinium set as it can play around Skuntank) and Swanna.

The changes I made were replacing Floatzel with electrium-z Zebstrika and changing Magmortar's thunderbolt to focus blast.

Zebstrika @ Electrium Z
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake
Changing Floatzel to Zebstrika still offers the team the same kind of speed control to revenge threats like Archeops but improves the team's special flying type match up a lot by checking them offensively. It also gave you a more reliable way of beating opposing special Floatzels, as focus blast is able to hit Ferroseed and everything else is slower. Furthermore, it gave the team an electric immunity, which although it isn't the best one in the tier it still helps absorb expected thunder waves and have some sort of counterplay to a voltturn vortex. I opted for electrium-z since the z-move slot was available and due to it's pairing with Magmortar. Zebstrika is notorious for being countered by Lanturn, but Magmortar is able to pressure teams who use Lanturn as their main fire resist with earthquake. Aside from that, the defensive backbone of Gurdurr, Ferroseed and Mesprit provide a good ground type match-up, helping to remove the enemy team's electric immunity efficiently and allow Zebstrika to throw out z-thunderbolt to nuke something.

Since Zebstrika was added the team's match-up against Swanna and Qwilfish is much better, meaning that thunderbolt was less necessary on Magmortar. Therefore, I changed thunderbolt to focus blast since it helps maximise Magmortar's breaking potential, hitting Regirock super effectively and helping against specially defensive Miltanks for Zebstrika.

As I said before, the team is really solid so i'm not surprised nobody has made any suggested changes. Hope these changes give some food for thought.
thanks for ur suggestions, ill be sure to consider them bc i really like them personally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)