Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tera might break Blaziken again unless it loses some key moves (Tpunch or Knock Off).
Blaziken with Tera? It is for sure getting banned.

Anything with good set up and attack stats is busted to hell with Tera. Blaziken gets that on top of speed boost. Expect to see all sort of anti-revenge killing cheap Teras.

Poor Dondozo is tired from carrying this tier on its back.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!

Well, there’s our DLC2 release date. At least we have a timeframe now in which to conduct suspects and quickbans.
God I hope Ho oh comes back. I need that fucker because Flutter Mane and Zacian is really getting on my nerves in Ubers. And I really hope they give dragon types a major buff like a dragon type close combat. Seriously, dragons have suffered the atrociousness of outrage for too long

Since I don't use twitter nor do I care to create an account, I'll ask. Did they mention anything else other than the release date? Like more returning pokemon or somethign?

ngl i REALLY hope Aggron comes back this gen, tera allowing it to get rid of its shit typing might actually give it a shot in OU because of how stupid its defense is.

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Steel Aggron: 109-130 (31.6 - 37.7%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Def Tera Steel Aggron Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 420-496 (123.1 - 145.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 Atk Tera Steel Aggron Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tera Flying Kingambit: 300-354 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

4 Atk Tera Steel Aggron Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tera Fairy Kingambit: 216-256 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
you could go for tera fighting to boost body press and resist kowtow cleave if you're planning to turn aggron into the perfect anti-gambit mon

but anyway, we have to pick our suspects very carefully now that we know the dlc release date. what is a big enough problem that suspecting it and banning it wouldn't be a waste of time? what won't come back down? i suggest we move on either gholdengo or gambit after gliscor; i don't think any of those will drop from ubers once they get up there—or at least, none of them should

Last edited:
God I hope Ho oh comes back. I need that fucker because Flutter Mane and Zacian is really getting on my nerves in Ubers. And I really hope they give dragon types a major buff like a dragon type close combat. Seriously, dragons have suffered the atrociousness of outrage for too long

Since I don't use twitter nor do I care to create an account, I'll ask. Did they mention anything else other than the release date? Like more returning pokemon or somethign?
Nope, the post only has the release date and the main ID arwork (the same message was also posted on the official pokemon youtube channel's community tab)

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
but anyway, we have to pick our suspects very carefully now that we know the dlc release date. what is a big enough problem that suspecting it and banning it wouldn't be a waste of time? what won't come back down? i suggest we move on either gholdengo or gambit after gliscor; i don't think any of those will drop from ubers once they get up there—or at least, none of them should
If we're not gonna ban Tera as a whole, IMO not a single mon in Ubers deserves to drop to OU, and as a matter of fact Gliscor, Kingambit and Gholdengo should all still get suspected and (hopefully) get banned. If we're banning it on the other hand, the only mons that could realistically drop and be fine in OU are Regieleki, Moon (I guess it could be manageable without Tera? Not so sure as of yet tbh) and MAYBE Volc. And yeah, I believe that the legendary Trio of assholes mentioned above should still stay banned, if we end up actually banning them after the sus tests. Gholdengo's main problem is Good as Gold, Kingambit's is Supreme Overlord + Sucker Punch creating a toxic environment of guessing games that award bad plays, and we all know what Gliscor's problems are, so Tera shouldn't be much of a factor in this decision.

I have a question regarding the potential ban of Tera though, what's gonna happen to Ogerpon? I guess we'll end up banning the Embody Aspects since they are completely dependent on the Tera mechanic, but will this make Firepon and Waterpon any less OP than they are now?

I have a question regarding the potential ban of Tera though, what's gonna happen to Ogerpon? I guess we'll end up banning the Embody Aspects since they are completely dependent on the Tera mechanic, but will this make Firepon and Waterpon any less OP than they are now?
waterpon maybe, firepon absolutely not. they'd just be shifted down a notch so firepon is suspectworthy instead of quickbanworthy and waterpon is merely surveyworthy instead of suspectworthy. one of the main reasons firepon was so problematic was because she didn't strictly need tera to sweep and a lot of the time mold breaker was actually better (for example, in the heatran matchup)
If we're not gonna ban Tera as a whole, IMO not a single mon in Ubers deserves to drop to OU, and as a matter of fact Gliscor, Kingambit and Gholdengo should all still get suspected and (hopefully) get banned. If we're banning it on the other hand, the only mons that could realistically drop and be fine in OU are Regieleki, Moon (I guess it could be manageable without Tera? Not so sure as of yet tbh) and MAYBE Volc. And yeah, I believe that the legendary Trio of assholes mentioned above should still stay banned, if we end up actually banning them after the sus tests.
i agree that minimal drops should be done because when the opposite was done with crown tundra it irreparably damaged gen 8 ou, threw the lower tiers into chaos, and made the entire c&c team quiet-quit, but i fear that the council will make the same mistake thinking "oh yeah we can definitely handle it better this time" and it'll fuck things up even worse than crown tundra. nothing should drop without a survey happening first

Last edited:

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
Doesn't Serperior also rely on its serperior speed or am I overestimating its speed? it may get that contrary boost but it would come at a cost
what cost? it switches in on sticky web and gains a +1 speed boost then starts spamming leaf storm to boost up even more

god serperior is going to be so broken this gen. absolutely not looking forward to its return, this is gonna be another horseshit setup sweeper mon that gets sent to ubers because of tera

i agree that minimal drops should be done because when the opposite was done with crown tundra it irreparably damaged gen 8 ou, threw the lower tiers into chaos, and made the entire c&c team quiet-quit, but i fear that the council will make the same mistake thinking "oh yeah we can definitely handle it better this time" and it'll fuck things up even worse than crown tundra
i disagree, the OU tier needs baxcalibur and flutter mane to return to the metagame. for balance, of course.

all jokes aside, i dont get why they did that in the crown tundra and unless they unban all of them again as a joke then immediately quickban them two days later then i would not be very happy about the same thing happening again in the indigo disk. like unless its for a meme then nobody wants chien-pao to come back for the third time and ruin the meta once again. nor do we want urshifu doing the same thing. the only pokemon i could see being retested are espathra and volcarona and i would still babyrage if i ever saw either of them in OU ever again

Last edited:
NGL i wouldnt be surprised if Zamazenta gets suspect tested at some point, iron defense + body press + heavy slam + crunch/wild charge with leftovers makes it borderline impossible to remove and OHKOs most resists too

Best counter is Gholdengo but crunch 2 or 3 hits

Dozo walls it ofc but Dozo walls everything

NGL i wouldnt be surprised if Zamazenta gets suspect tested at some point, iron defense + body press + heavy slam + crunch/wild charge with leftovers makes it borderline impossible to remove and OHKOs most resists too
I wouldn't be surprised as well, I've had several games where it felt borderline impossible to stop due to this set. Any steel gets obliterated by this thing. On the other hand though, there's been games where my opponent didn't manage to support it properly and it got taken out before it could do anything. Definitely a very support reliant mon, which I'm not entirely convinced is too much on it's own.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta

Besides Volc and Eleki, I can't think of anything I'd want that wasn't overwhelmingly voted to ban by the community.

As an aside, I can't help but wonder if some of the earliest bans would be balanced by newer additions given in the dlcs. Freedom Cup unbanned too much shit like Evasion, but perhaps a clean sweep of the mons would be balanced somewhat. That's not for a while though so...

what cost? it switches in on sticky web and gains a +1 speed boost then starts spamming leaf storm to boost up even more

god serperior is going to be so broken this gen. absolutely not looking forward to its return, this is gonna be another horseshit setup sweeper mon that gets sent to ubers because of tera

i disagree, the OU tier needs baxcalibur and flutter mane to return to the metagame. for balance, of course.

all jokes aside, i dont get why they did that in the crown tundra and unless they unban all of them again as a joke then immediately quickban them two days later then i would not be very happy about the same thing happening again in the indigo disk. like unless its for a meme then nobody wants chien-pao to come back for the third time and ruin the meta once again. nor do we want urshifu doing the same thing. the only pokemon i could see being retested are espathra and volcarona and i would still babyrage if i ever saw either of them in OU ever again
Honestly, I think the best course of action is to either unban everything at once or ban every dubious mon and retest them with a clear calendar. The upside to unbanning everything is that for sure that's going to be the last time someone asks to retest Flutter Mane in OU, bc you could refer to the unban at the beginning of DLC2 (and I'm saying Flutter Mane but I could say Espathra or Annihilape for that matter). The upside of banning everything is that the meta can develop into something stable, but I'd appreciate that we'd have a semi-firm schedule on retests so that people aren't too insistent. We also should consider what we're going to do with Tera, whether it's going to be the first or last thing to be suspected.

Edit to not multipost: regarding the post below, Iron Bundle is the only Freeze Dry faster than Waterpon. Who knows if in this hazard stacking meta it would be fine and help fight other beasts

Last edited:
If we're not gonna ban Tera as a whole, IMO not a single mon in Ubers deserves to drop to OU, and as a matter of fact Gliscor, Kingambit and Gholdengo should all still get suspected and (hopefully) get banned. If we're banning it on the other hand, the only mons that could realistically drop and be fine in OU are Regieleki, Moon (I guess it could be manageable without Tera? Not so sure as of yet tbh) and MAYBE Volc. And yeah, I believe that the legendary Trio of assholes mentioned above should still stay banned, if we end up actually banning them after the sus tests. Gholdengo's main problem is Good as Gold, Kingambit's is Supreme Overlord + Sucker Punch creating a toxic environment of guessing games that award bad plays, and we all know what Gliscor's problems are, so Tera shouldn't be much of a factor in this decision.

I'm not sure if Heartflame will be balanced or not. It would still completely destroy defensive teams thanks to Mold breaker and no-Tera Dragon / Tera Fire would arguably make it harder to deal with. I guess you could manage it by running stuff like defensive Mence or Arcanine on stall, but that doesn't seem ideal. Its weakness to hazards was a pronounced defense for keeping it unbanned, so maybe a non-Tera Ogerpon would be easier to deal with in practice than it is on paper.

In general, for DLC2, I would prefer just unbanning everything and see if it all balances out, with multiple quickbans in the first month. This includes Flutter Mane. In terms specific unbans I'd like to see, I think unbanning Iron Bundle would be a good move as it provides crucial utility to the tier with its fast Encore. Unlike other Pokemon, it is more difficult for Iron Bundle to spiral out of control due to its lack of a boosting move.

Besides Volc and Eleki, I can't think of anything I'd want that wasn't overwhelmingly voted to ban by the community.

As an aside, I can't help but wonder if some of the earliest bans would be balanced by newer additions given in the dlcs. Freedom Cup unbanned too much shit like Evasion, but perhaps a clean sweep of the mons would be balanced somewhat. That's not for a while though so...
Unban Zacian-H moment?

I just want chaos ngl

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
My reaction to Indigo Disc dropping next month:

1698940241611.png

Anyway, I'm excited to see how the rest of the starters pan out in Gen 9's landscape. Obviously Serp and Blaziken are going to be... interesting, but maybe something like Swampert gets Spikes like every other Ground-type and causes a commotion with Spikes + Flip Turn.

Do you think that blaziken is going to stay in OU this gen?
It failed last gen.
Tera may let it overcome dragapult which is part of the reason it didn't stay in OU.

Edit: I am surprised that meowscarada did not return to OU.
I was under the impression that she dropped due to tye new toy syndrom.
Fairy (Tera) + Fire + Fighting STAB on Speed Boost sounds terrifying. You can essentially net it a form of non-recoil 3rd STAB and give it a nearly unwallable type combo. Toxapex isn’t doing so well atm either which helps Blaziken’s case even more.

waterpon maybe, firepon absolutely not. they'd just be shifted down a notch so firepon is suspectworthy instead of quickbanworthy and waterpon is merely surveyworthy instead of suspectworthy. one of the main reasons firepon was so problematic was because she didn't strictly need tera to sweep and a lot of the time mold breaker was actually better (for example, in the heatran matchup)
Talking about Waterpon, if Triple Axel gets re-introduced, besides Weavile maybe having again a chance to return OU, if also Waterpon can learn it... oh boi...
Ik is strange thinking that can learn it but the Dex says that she is really good in fast movements and kicks, and even if there is no way to select the move, it can still be selected by Metronome, and currently what are some of her best checks? Exactly, Amoonguss and Tera Grass Dondozo (there are also Dragon types, but even if she suffers from the moveset syndrome, she can use Play Rough in a set), which has problems since she doesn't have moves to hit them super-effective or hard even if she forces the Tera on Dondozo, and both of them lose to Ice moves.
If DLC2 introduces the TM and Waterpon can learn it, maybe we will be in another Firepon case, only of an element totally opposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)