Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Finchinator thank you for admitting the tier is in disarray, has been betrayed (and even quite possibly bamboozled)

Now that my prayers have been answered, I can look towards the future. A good gen 9 OU. Maybe this won't be Unova remix in terms of power creep. Maybe....
This is such a headass post LOL, my guy taking a victory lap for negativity???

the tier is in disarray because we are barely 3 weeks since a major release, this has nothing to do with the past metagames, which have been pretty good and rated as such. Once the suspect is over, we will be in a much more reasonable place.

the tier is in disarray because we are barely 3 weeks since a major release, this has nothing to do with the past metagames, which have been pretty good and rated as such. Once the suspect is over, we will be in a much more reasonable place.
I know this is a moonman idea but is it an option to make a full restart of all Gen 9 tiering at this point? I believe the issues we're having are due to us not being clear on whether we're going to tier to form a super offensively oriented metagame or if we want to quickban intensely, and Idk about the stability of the rest of the tiers but their #1 in usage seems to change practically every month which cannot be good. Point in this being that Kingambit, BM, RM, Manaphy, Wellspring, Gliscor... are maybe a bit too much for THIS OU, but a balanced tier of 30 something mons could form around them and guys like Annihilape, Espathra, Volc... if the mindset we had is offense superiority for this gen

roaring moon was always good with corv being almost unviable, u can't never know the set, with the speed boost u are able to outspeed valiant, this mean having the fastest not boosted ou pokemon with 139 base attack and u did not need to tera fairy for resisting sucker punch

it only really lacked a strong stab like koff, now it also got scale shot
Should note, Roaring Moon had Scale Shot even before DLC (and was in fact the only mon able to learn it before the TM) in SV, it just didn't run it very often. I presume because it didn't value Dragon Coverage enough, has legitimate concerns with the DEF drop priority weakness, usually prioritizes Booster Energy (so Loaded Dice is a bigger ask), and doesn't have a worthwhile ATK boost or need of such a combo vs Dragon Dance (Chomp runs it in absence and Ubers Koraidon picks it as an upgrade over Flame Charge on its SD sets as well) on its boosting sets.

I can sympathize with the guy. It can be validating to know what you're experiencing is broken when a lot of people on smogon forums/ou chats will be saying stuff like BM isnt broken or hazards/HO isn't an issue right now. Its nice to know that people think whats going on is a problem and the answer from the community wont be just purely sitting back and saying "just play more aggressively bro"

Flatter is like Swagger but for opponent's Spa, I guess it would create some legal shenanigans :blobshrug:

Edit: For some reason I forgot Swagger isn't banned anymore
does this actually work in preventing a pass or do you just shoot yourself in the foot because you just gave my mon a boost AND it's not confused

why are people like this. why can't we just focus on what we have instead of introducing new bullshit, especially bullshit that's been introduced into ou and immediately banned for four generations in a row? can we as a community please stop having this abusive relationship with genesect? every time we let its armor-plated ass back into the house it swears up and down that "no, baby, i've changed this time, trust me" and it's just like old times for like two seconds before it starts running the scarf sets again and ou starts showing up to work with a black eye all "oh yeah whoops i fell down the stairs, how clumsy of me" but we all know what's actually happening, it's that fucking bug again, every time, and of course the neighbors all start gossiping like "i don't know why they keep letting that genesect come back, what do they see in it anyway", and then come the shouting matches and the broken dinner plates and the court orders and the disappointed voicemails from the parents because they have to be voicemails since genesect won't even let you talk on the fucking phone without its permission and before you know it you're as divorced as this metaphor is from the actual point i was trying to make
This is literally the same feeling I have about Shadow Tag/ Arena Trap. Months and pages of time every meta are wasted debating something that should be permanently banned.

Also, I know that unbanning things sounds appealing, but I think the re-suspect process is a waste of time. How many times was Cinderace re/suspected last gen? Three? I'm still annoyed about the Zama-C test last gen (i think that was at the height of telesight shenanigans, but my memory is a bit fuzzy). Not only does it re-introduce tension and debate about pivotal mons that were previously banned, but it also chews up time where actual suspect testing can be done on problematic mons. I think this is also sadly true about re-suspecting existing things. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again expecting a different result. Kingambit wasn't banned, deserves to be banned, and won't get banned (you can quote me on this for the inevitable re-suspect).
I think that after a suspect test fails, the only people who can decide on further action would be the council. I know that creates tension on who has a say here and whatnot, but... realistically, I think they are overall a good representation of the community.
So as much as I want to watch Kingumby leave forever and ever, I think that there should be something like a ballot proposed by the council on their next tiering survey regarding mons that they should consider removing from the tier.

Similarly, letting things like Darkrai, Genesect, Volcarona, and others run free at this time should only be done by council vote.

Tl;dr I think re-suspects waste time when other elements of the game could be suspected. EDIT: Extra thanks to Finch for being transparent, level-headed, and answering people's questions from the perspective of a council member. We love to see it!

DLC2 will essentially do this
you say this, but i have my doubts. dlc1 wasn't a "restart" at all (fortunately). in fact, nothing dropped from ubers, including the mon that people were screaming and crying about being sent to ubers. unless they drop a host of super-powerful mons all at once like crown tundra did—which likely won't happen considering that they dropped a bunch in home already—why would we arbitrarily undo all the progress we've made?

now, if tera were to be banned, that i could see effectively being a full reset on tiering

I will actively file a complaint towards the OU metagame because of its teetering enjoyment -- even though I'm aware the meta will be solved in the coming year. And in 2025, hell. Nothing is happening until we get gen 10

I am a living contradiction

Comparing DLC1 and DLC2 isn’t fair. The former is a pit-stop in our journey while the latter is the start of the legacy metagame SV will be remembered as. There’s no DLC2 or Home2 planned as far as I know, so this signals DLC2 as a major point of resetting.
fair enough, but i still think that dropping a bunch of stuff like last gen will hurt things more than helping them. dropping that many things at once was a massive blow to gen 8's already tarnished legacy. it turned what could have been maybe a month's worth of cleanup into something like four months and a lot of people were checked out at that point

Roaring Moon being potentially broken makes sense. I always saw this Pokemon as Mega Salamence-lite stat wise and assumed it would be one of the first QBs (which ended up not being the case).

That being said, currently I feel it and other booster energy Pokemon are only so good because the metagame is so offensive. I feel once Ursaluna is banned (if it is banned) and balanced playstyles become better, that Pokemon like Roaring Moon, Iron Moth, and Iron Valiant will become less effective than they are currently. I attribute the "problematic" elements of these Pokemon to booster energy moreso than the Pokemon themselves as well, as Booster Energy + Boosting moves make it a bit too easy for these Pokemon to Snowball.

Roaring Moon being potentially broken makes sense. I always saw this Pokemon as Mega Salamence-lite stat wise and assumed it would be one of the first QBs (which ended up not being the case).

That being said, currently I feel it and other booster energy Pokemon are only so good because the metagame is so offensive. I feel once Ursaluna is banned (if it is banned) and balanced playstyles become better, that Pokemon like Roaring Moon, Iron Moth, and Iron Valiant will become less effective than they are currently. I attribute the "problematic" elements of these Pokemon to booster energy moreso than the Pokemon themselves as well, as Booster Energy + Boosting moves make it a bit too easy for these Pokemon to Snowball.
Besides BE I think the balance shift will also help in the case of RM simply because Balanced teams can more easily afford to run things that prevent progress even with Knock Off again, while dealing with a (comparatively) easier to stomach offensive output.

Awesome Pokemon in the metagame still. Love the offensive presence it provides and with the combination of defensive Tera and Air Balloon, it can often leave its impact felt.

However, the dynamic about it that’s most controversial is arguably the suppression of the usage of things like Defog on things like Corviknight and the persistent presence of Spikes that done alongside it. I think it’s worth monitoring, especially as we settle down and potentially enter a territory for a larger balancing narrative reassessment surrounding the hazard situation.
Really, if it weren't for it being its only ability, I imagine we would've just banned Good As Gold by now.

While we are all trying to get Bloodmoon banned, how about using Corviknight for the being? I know you all think that Bloodmoon would underspeed roost and KO it with Earth Power, but what if it didn't?

:Corviknight: @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog

I would like to know what people think about this set though.

While we are all trying to get Bloodmoon banned, how about using Corviknight for the being? I know you all think that Bloodmoon would underspeed roost and KO it with Earth Power, but what if it didn't?

Careful Nature
- Roost
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog

Having used Corv during my failed attempt to qualify for the vote, I can confirm this really isn't practical. Blood Moon still shreds its HP even with the resist, and Corv simply isn't the kind of mon which can overcome the healing Moonlight brings or stop it from boosting with Calm Mind.

Careful Nature
- Roost
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog

The issue is that Corv does not exert any pressure onto bloodmoon so blood moon can just Tera and Calm Mind to +6 / +6 and take out 3-4 other members of ur team. If Corv had haze or roar it would be a different story but it doesn't

As Eeveeto shared earlier, he is using a Roost, Brave Bird, U-Turn, and Light Screen Corviknight set paired with Ogerpon-Wellspring to take on Ursaluna-Bloodmoon. Corviknight cannot take on Ursaluna-Bloodmoon and can only provide support to your team to do that. That shows what a ridiculous mon it is that you have to resort to using Light Screen to handle it.

Careful Nature
- Roost
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Light Screen
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

This is some tech I've seen floating around. Assuming that the Bloodmoon's only attacks are Blood Moon and Earth Power, you can beat it 1v1 if you never roost. If they start spamming CM you can start spamming ID and threaten to kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)