Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Be careful what you wish for. BDSP had Apricorn Balls as a preorder bonus and they were exclusive to that preorder bonus, so any other copies of BDSP are basically locked out of them forever. I'd much rather take a useless preorder bonus over that.
Or you could make a reasonable way to get them otherwise while still keeping them special like putting things behind postgame bosses or something but that kind of thing requires Pokemon to have a postgame, let alone bosses.

Most of the games I play usually make their preorder bonus be physical merchandise, artbooks and skins.

Last edited:
Does that mean not even transferring is allowed from older games/Home? I am hoping DLC adds more in like with Sword/Shield later down the road. Is that a possibility?
There will be transferring from Home, they've already confirmed this. There will likely be DLC, though they have not said as much.

But it will not have every Pokemon. We don't know the exact number, but it will probably wind up similar to SWSH

That said, I wouldnt necessarly exclude "all pokemon" to be fair.

SwSh ended up having to exclude some pokemon due to time constraints and we know it.

While the design philosophy has shifted and they don't plan on full portability as "guaranteed", there's tecnically still the chance that, now that they have all the models (or most of them) ported and ready to go, eventually in the "final DLC" of the game, there's the entire dex.

Tbh I'd even be divided on if I'd want that or not... on one side sure, it'd be nice to eventually have everything in a single game, on the other hand, I still think dexit was the correct choice in long term and wouldn't want them to give up on it.

I'm willing to say that the only time there will be "all the pokemon" in one game will be when they decide to do a smash bros ultimate styled "everyone is here" for a single game. Maybe for the 50th anniversary in a couple decades as a big celebration of the franchise. Have a big "1500+ Pokemon, returned in one title!" marketing push

We'll probably get ~400 in SV another ~200 in DLC and then the other games in the generation will spread a wide net but ultimately not have everyone even between them. This will likely be the pattern moving forward, especially when we change platforms.

I'm willing to say that the only time there will be "all the pokemon" in one game will be when they decide to do a smash bros ultimate styled "everyone is here" for a single game. Maybe for the 50th anniversary in a couple decades as a big celebration of the franchise. Have a big "1500+ Pokemon, returned in one title!" marketing push

We'll probably get ~400 in SV another ~200 in DLC and then the other games in the generation will spread a wide net but ultimately not have everyone even between them. This will likely be the pattern moving forward, especially when we change platforms.
Well to be fair, without the need of a "Ultimate", the last game of a given console on its own would work for such shenenigan anyway.

Well to be fair, without the need of a "Ultimate", the last game of a given console on its own would work for such shenenigan anyway.
With the pokemon production pipeline being what it is I will hedge bets far more on them just not bothering even if gen 9 is the end of its Switch era. Especially since I think it's more likely Gen 10 winds up being put out just as the switch finally dies so Gamefreak's just going to move on into a goofy side game for Switch 2 before Gen 11.
There's just no point to it unless they really, truly, actively want it to happen. Which I do not think they will until some sufficiently special occasion, like a major anniversary, happens.

And even then we can just like. Go back to Kanto again, or whatever.

Does that mean not even transferring is allowed from older games/Home? I am hoping DLC adds more in like with Sword/Shield later down the road. Is that a possibility?
Obviously that will be possible when Home gets updated. It's been confirmed that Hisuian Zorua/Zoroark are in Scarlet & Violet so naturally the way to get those mons is through Home. It happened with Sword & Shield it will happen with this

Hopefully it’s x1.5 boost and doesn’t count switching as “going last”.
It was stupid that switching would be treated as “going before the opponent” for Analytic while also “going after the opponent” for Fishious Rend and Bolt Beak. Like come on, there should be at least some consistency here. inb4 they nerf Analytic instead because of this.
Because switching out is considered an action

Because switching out is considered an action
Right, which is why Fishious Rend shouldn’t double in power when the opponent switches out. You’d think that Analytic, an ability that gives a boost to attacks when the user moves last, would also mean that Fishious Rend, a move that increases in power the the target most after it, would follow the rule that “Switching is an action before you make a move”.
Then again, Dynamax is immune to weight based moves when you’d think Grass Knot or Low Kick would do more while Heat Crash and Heavy Slam did less.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Be careful what you wish for. BDSP had Apricorn Balls as a preorder bonus and they were exclusive to that preorder bonus, so any other copies of BDSP are basically locked out of them forever. I'd much rather take a useless preorder bonus over that.
Okay, aside from them just not doing that (no reason they couldn't make Apricorns available in-game), here is a quick list of ideas they could do for digital preorder bonus:

1. 50,000 Pokedollars, as I said before. In the grand scheme of things that's not a lot, but early game it can just be that little bit more helpful and the player can spend it to get whatever items they want. Want to be cautious (or not run to the nearest Pokemon Center when their Pokemon's HP is low? They'll spend it on Potions and medicine. Worried about encountering a Shiny and not have enough Poke Balls on hand? Should be enough to have enough Poke Balls until you unlock Great & Ultra. Wants to expand their clothing options? 50k should be more than enough to get a new clothing set at least. Heck, you can probably do a combination of all the above. You could see it as a lazy preorder bonus, but its a lazy bonus that's useful and could potentially make the early game experience a bit more enjoyable.

2. Medical Pack. So I guess the idea with Amazon's SV's preorder bonus it was meant to be a medical pack because you'll be exploring the wilderness. Except, if that's the case, that's a pretty pathetic medical pack especially when we don't have a limit on the amount of items we can carry. If you're going to offer a medical pack, go all in: 12 Revives, 18 Potions, 12 Super Potions, 18 Full Heals, 24 Ethers, 18 Oran Berries, 12 Sitrus Berries, & 18 Lum Berries. There, a Medical Pack that no (beginning) trainer should go without! That should keep you good all through the beginning of the game and up to the first Gym, and have enough leftover even after. "Jeez, try for the full main game! I don't even buy this much normally, I'd be pretty much set until I need to buy Full Restores". True, maybe for experienced players this could be seen as a "don't need to worry about medicine again" pack, but you also gotta take in other considerations. For a newer, younger player they'll likely play a bit more reckless meaning having to run back to the Pokemon Center more often which could drag on their fun, so this medical pack could help mitigate that a bit and teach them the limits of their Pokemon. And veteran players it could encourage them also to play a bit more loose having all these extra medical items. This is especially notable in SV as it looks like exploring the region's wilderness is going to be a major feature and, after playing Legends: Arceus, yeah, you can easily burn through your supplies without realizing until you need more. And if you feel that confident in your abilities, play cautious, or just rushing through the story, you can always just sell these items to buy what you need (or sell them if you want a clothing item).

3. Poke Ball Pack. Forgot what game it was for, but on game's preorder bonus was 100 normal Poke Balls. Yup. Okay, how about we take that 100 and maybe give it some extra spice? 12 Poke Balls, 9 Great, 6 Ultra, 12 Net, 12 Nest, 12 Repeat, 6 Luxury, 12 Dusk, 6 Heal, 12 Quick, & 1 Master. Why not? Not only gives your early game team some Poke Ball variety but also in certain conditions gives you a higher catch chance that you'd have to wait a bit into the game to have. And also helps that bit more if you run into a Shiny, especially with an extra Master Ball in your pocket. And once again, the special Poke Balls usually sell for a bit so if you prefer the cash you have that option to.

4. Battle Packs. Now this can go several ways, hence it being "packs". The core of the pack would be what Held Items it'll have. Do you just want to give the player all the Type-enhancing items (Miracle Seed, Charcoal, Mystic Water, etc.) and be done with it? Do you give them the basic ones and mix in some of the more situational held items (Big Root, Binding Band, Grip Claw, the various Lenses)? Do you toss in some of the REALLY good items like Leftovers, Eviolite, Amulet Coin, the Choice Items, etc.? Do you include the ones that cab be "consumed" like Air Balloon, Focus Sash, and the Eject items? And let's not forget the X-Items. A lot of variables here.
Type-Enhancing: Miracle Seed, Charcoal, Mystic Water, Magnet, Silk Scarf, Sharp Beak, Silver Powder, & Hard Stone. The "basic" ones pretty much, the ones for the most Pokemon you'll likely run into early game (maybe adjust them depending on the game, like some games have early Dark- and Poison-types so swap out like Magnet and Hard Stone for Black Glasses and Poison Barb).
Other Held Items: Major: Eviolite, Amulet Coin, Expert Belt, Muscle Band, Shell Bell, Wise Glasses; Additional: Bright Powder, Cleanse Tag, Metronome, Protective Pads, Quick Claw, Scope Lens, Shed Shell, Wide Lens, & Zoom Lens. Spent some time thinking about this one. For the major items I included the ones which would be helpful during the early game and most keep their use throughout. For the minor ones, as much as I wanted to include stuff like Big Root, Iron Ball, and other wacky ones, I decided if this is meant to help the player battle better right off the bat I'd just include ones you can give to a Pokemon and it'll most often be useful. Also decided including consumable items that weren't the X-items was a waste.
X-Items: 6 of each: X Attack, X Defense, X Sp. Atk, X Sp. Def, X Speed, X Accuracy, Dire Hit & Guard Spec. (Why so low? Because I feel the X-Items are meant to help but not be a crutch to rely on. With the above Held Items you use them to give you either a slight power-up or plan a strategy around. But the X Items are really there just for a battle that turns into "that one boss" your team was not prepared for and don't want to take the time to prepare a specific strategy; just power through and move on)

And I'll stop here, though there's a few more I can easily whip up (some combining the above stuff like a Trainer Pack which has Poke Balls & Medical items among other items). It's not hard to make a bonus incentive fun which both gives the player an early advantage but isn't needed to enjoy the game if you don't have it. I'm just saying if you're going to do this go all out; don't give us a handful of items like it's meant to be enticing.

Most of the games I play usually make their preorder bonus be physical merchandise, artbooks and skins.
Eh, physical merch can be hit or miss. Like, an art book, alright, I could go for something like that. But then I remember the ones like little statues of the mascot Legendary which were like, neat looking, but completely useless otherwise. Then there are ones which are just "why did you bother" like a poster or one time they had pencil toppers of the Starters. Don't get me wrong, physical merch is very fun, but whether you'll get something good is often a roll of the dice (with 4 being "meh", 5 being "alright" and 6 "actually good").

I'm willing to say that the only time there will be "all the pokemon" in one game will be when they decide to do a smash bros ultimate styled "everyone is here" for a single game.
With the pokemon production pipeline being what it is I will hedge bets far more on them just not bothering even if gen 9 is the end of its Switch era. Especially since I think it's more likely Gen 10 winds up being put out just as the switch finally dies so Gamefreak's just going to move on into a goofy side game for Switch 2 before Gen 11.
But wouldn't Gen 10 be considered such a thing?

I'm not sure if a teaser, more likely a new pokemon reveal or two.

I do wonder what the quirk of this pokemon would be though. I was going to say that these are targets, but the third image is just rows.
And I wanted to say it's something to do with rainbow, but the first image only has 2 colors.

Maybe we're getting Smeargle evo Pog

Have kinda kept myself out of the loop on all the news related to this game but seeing as we're less than three months from release I thought I'd chime in.

My opinion so far has been meh. Partially because I think I'm over Pokemon as a game series (as I mentioned a few years ago, SwSh might be my last game for a minute), and partially because i haven't seen anything worth peaking my interest.

IMO the cover legendaries are the biggest offenders here. Their designs are visually unappealing, as well as the gimmick of them being ride pokemon, which is unrelated to the battle gimmick. Like, they're fearsome legendries! Why does it look like I, a rookie trainer, can make them drive me everywhere from the start of my journey? Are they my mom? Are they Uber? I could live with the pre-evo being a ride only Pokemon for most of the game, and the legendries being late-game/post-game mounts.

The other Pokemon designs are actually decent looking. I like that they're continuing regional forms, and I do hope that they can include the ones from Legends. On the other hand, I can see how Regional forms might be the new bloat that's first on the chopping block when it comes to crunch time in development. I guess we'll have to see how many mons are in the Pokedex this time around, and what the compatibility with Home is.

The generational battle gimmick is just Hidden Power on steroids. Of course it'll be overpowered on overpowered mons, and middeling on middeling mons. The type change will be annoying to deal with, but as the meta settles I can't imagine players not being able to guess what their opponent is bringing, like we did with Z moves.

Map-wise, I hope we learned from the DLC and Legends and have made the world a bit more diverse. SwSh open world felt a bit awkward, and in hindsight, making one big open area in the middle of the map was sorta a bad design choice imo. My hope is that the gyms do scale, because i want to fight a gym leader with dragons in the 10s and another with bug pokemon in the 40s.

I'm open to getting this game, but it'll probably be after the New Year, when its been dissected by the community and we know what further steps (DLC, etc.) are coming.

Right, which is why Fishious Rend shouldn’t double in power when the opponent switches out. You’d think that Analytic, an ability that gives a boost to attacks when the user moves last, would also mean that Fishious Rend, a move that increases in power the the target most after it, would follow the rule that “Switching is an action before you make a move”.
Then again, Dynamax is immune to weight based moves when you’d think Grass Knot or Low Kick would do more while Heat Crash and Heavy Slam did less.
I think the logic in the coding is that it just checks if the opposing Pokemon did something before/after your Pokemon, with Switching in (or item usage?) being considered an action by the trainer themselves, or by the outgoing Pokemon (as opposed to the one entering and thus getting hit). They would probably have similar flags in place for other things that trigger automatically like certain Forme-Change abilities, or Mega Evolving (which happens at start of turn even if the Pokemon moves last).

If not an oversight, it could be a by-product of Switches outside user control (like Phazing), or not wanting to affect moves that only work on the first turn out such as Fake Out or later First Impressions (since Switching is to reset Fake Out, switching in might be flagged as a non-action to exclude it from counting on FO's check for 1st Turn out). Could also be necessary for the couple attacks or abilities that affect Switching at specific points: Pursuit behaves differently if a manual Switch is chosen or it's outsped by a Switch move; Trapping abilities prevent Manual Switch as a selectable option but allow a Switch if it was queued on the same turn the Trapper comes onto the field (Ex: I switch in Magnezone the same turn the opponent switches out Ferrothorn allows the latter to still leave).

The semantic difference is that Fishious Rend is just checking if the target successfully completed their turn before the user did (Flinching in Doubles or being stopped by status appears to count as an action for this purpose Based on this post and replay).

So it would appear Switching is not considered an action on the part of the Pokemon coming onto the field, and then Fossil-Move checks are

if (action before me) {
Attack 85 BP
}
else {
Attack 170 BP
}
and just reverse the "before" to "after" for Analytic. The main takeaway is that these checks would "default" to those powers and then flip them off if a turn happens at the (in)appropriate time.

There probably aren't any other situations where this comes up in practice, so in practice it's a quirk that emerges from how switching is treated as a Pokemon's action. Pokemon feels like it's built on Spaghetti Code and I have little doubt that several Dexited moves or Pokemon they hesitate to bring back are because they're edge cases of said Spaghet (Shedinja, interactions like Pursuit above, etc.). It's one reason I don't rule out weird interactions, such as Transform or Multitype Interactions with Terastalizing, as cause for something to be Dexited for a game, even if I simultaneously engage in thought experiments of how things like the latter would interact.[/SPOILER]

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Tbh it wasn't so bad, mainly cause Serebii & co pay some poor guys to actually watch these streams and record the like 1 minute total when pokemon actually show up :psysly:
>"Not that bad"

>Third parties having to pay someone to watch a static background for 24 hours

I'm open to getting this game, but it'll probably be after the New Year, when its been dissected by the community and we know what further steps (DLC, etc.) are coming.
I still get and play Pokemon games but these days, I either buy Pokemon games used or borrow them from a friend while I play other games and explore indie titles that fall under the same genre. SV doesn't sell me on anything either. Slaking being there is nice but he should be there anyway.

My hope is that the gyms do scale, because i want to fight a gym leader with dragons in the 10s and another with bug pokemon in the 40s.
Reminder that they scaled LGPE levels down despite RBY not being that hard in the first place. I'd love scaling too. The fact they didn't say anything about that leaves me doubtful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)