Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

New trailer:
This video confirmed the one thing I was DYING to know ever since the game released, which is exactly how you can get Alolan forms in the playthrough. The only reason I'm interested in this game is monotype challenges. This confirmation shows a Raichu/A-Raichu trade, so it's reasonable to assume the other A-forms can be obtained through a similar mirror trade, and perhaps the level will be matched as well. So in a Dark monotype I could just start with a Rattata and Alola-trade it as soon as possible. Now, the only issue is, where are all the Alolan trainers, and are they post-E4? If they are, I'm straight up not getting the game. No point in playing this game when I could just boot up FireRed instead, if only the original 151 are available. I'd love it if each Alolan form had their respective trainer, found in each Pokémon Center. So, A-Rattata can be traded for as early as Viridian City, while A-Exeggutor could be found later in Fuchsia or something. Marowak in Lavender, obviously.

This video confirmed the one thing I was DYING to know ever since the game released, which is exactly how you can get Alolan forms in the playthrough.
The website has already confirmed this since September, it said you can get them via Pokemon GO or ingame trades. Though if you're buying the game just for a challenge run and don't care about any other mechanics I think you'd enjoy FRLG more as you said.

1541259007124.png

Anyway the Japanese channel uploaded some commercials, they have new footage but don't show much. This one shows a kid losing and has Gyarados using (probably) Waterfall at 0:15, so that's still a TM/new levelup move. EDIT: Actually Gyarados gets Waterfall in GO too for what it's worth.

This one shows a Charmeleon's moveset at 0:11. It has Headbutt/Dragon Rage/Fire Spin/Iron Tail. Out of these Headbutt and Iron Tail are likely tutors/TMs. I'm fairly sure Headbutt is Brock's TM because his Onix had it.

1541259937655.png

Dantdm uploaded a video on Let's Go gameplay too, it's mostly the same earlygame we've seen for a while. He was told catch combos increase the chance of rare spawns (17:49) so that's something. Vermilion is also in the video but he wasn't allowed to talk to any NPCs. You can at least see the officer and the Squirtle from Yellow (19:14), seems like the Cerulean event is separate. Also Pewter Crunchies can be bought once a day and their sprite is shown at 10:30.

1541261019115.png

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, here's the Treehouse Video just in case someone didn't see it. As always I'm going to give my own comments but first I'll bookmark the parts people here might be interested in:

BOOKMARKS:
2:12:
Gameplay starts.
4:44: Encountering Super Nerd Miguel, aka the trainer in Mt. Moon which found the fossils
7:53: Team Rocket Trio encounter
14:11: Partner Pokemon Move Tutor
15:35: Madame Celadon, wild Pokemon Nature setter
20:06: Celadon Department Store
26:08: Celadon Gym
28:07: GO Park

COMMENTS:
7:17:
Huh, wait. So all Pokemon gaining experience points was because of Exp. Share, but we saw all Pokemon gaining experience as soon as Viridian Forest. So does that mean we get the Exp. Share WAY early in the game, before the first Badge?
11:22: Huh, so the Rocket Trio no longer sends out Meowth. I wonder if Jessie and James will get their other Kanto Pokemon like Lickitung and Victreebel.
14:37: I've really got nothing to say about the Partner Pokemon Move Tutor himself aside it's nice to know how we're getting these moves (also I never realized the Tamer class was holding a lollipop, that's kind of funny considering they're holding a bullwhip). But let's pause for a second to talk about the new Eevee moves. First off this proves the metal tin image true that Eevee will be getting other moves based on its other Eeveelutions (meaning Eevee will have 8 Partner Moves, curious if Pikachu is getting that many and what they would be). I'm guessing Glitzy Glow is Espeon as Baddy Bad is obviously Umbreon. That said, let's take a second to talk about those names. In one word: PUKE! Glitzy Glow I guess is fine, but Baddy Bad? BADDY BAD? You couldn't think of ANY other alliterative name? Like how about Dark Dash or Dark Dart depending whether its a Physical or Special move? Or do what I thought and name them after the Eeveelutions, ESP EMP and Umbra Urge. But eitherway, this is LITERAL baby speak. You are talking to the player as if they were a baby. FUCK OFF.
16:03: Hey look, a use for money that player would actually want to spend. :P Yes, so this is a VERY interesting mechanic and I hope they bring over to the core series. Okay, maybe it's not changing Nature of the Pokemon you have (and since these games don't have breeding we have no idea if it would affect Eggs), but hey its a start by making all the Pokemon you encounter for the rest of the day have the Nature you select. And I'm going to guess, as long as you have 10k dollars to spend, you can change it as many times as you like. Though I think its a bit round-about how they do it, asking you what color flower you would water and thin out? This is a first player trap unless you know what color the Contest Stats related to each normal stat: Red for Attack, Yellow for Defense, Blue for Special Attack, Green for Special Defense, and Pink for Speed. Also apparently Madame Celadon is using her Abra's Synchronize to do this... in a game which doesn't have Abilities...
18:55: Oh, so now you can just judge a Pokemon's stats anywhere instead of having to go to a PC. Good, I always thought they should just make it a Pokedex upgrade.
20:13: Hm, I wonder what that poster showing Erika says, and why is it showing Jigglypuff and Clefairy? Erika is a Grass-type Gym Leader, also of all the Evolution Stones they sell they don't sell a Moon Stone (unless that changed).
21:14: Game, if I'm playing this game I already bought a Switch and at least one copy of Let's Go, you don't need to keep advertising it to me. Oh, there is one for Pokemon Quest, that's cute... though you'd also think they would have something for GO and maybe even Pokken.
22:07: Oh, so they replaced the Drugstore with an Accessory shop. Wonder if that means they no longer have Vitamins now that they have the Candies.
26:18: Boo, talk with the old man, let's see if he's still a perv.
26:25: So Celadon Gym has been remade into a hedge maze like in HGSS.
31:14: Wait, so Meltan is considered a Mythical Pokemon from Kanto? So what does this mean for the core series, specifically in getting Meltan? They're not going to require us to get Pokemon Let's Go in order to get a Meltan (and thus a Melmetal), are they?
31:55: Wow, the Play Yard doesn't look fun at all. It honestly looks annoying with how vicious the other Pokemon are with dispersing the group you gathered.
35:13: Wow, for it being a difficult capture you sure caught it easily in a Great Ball. Are you guys sure GO Park Pokemon aren't 100% guaranteed captures?
36:19: HAHAHA! Only if Let's Go has Pokemon Bank compatibility will save this statement. And note just because they said the development team is working to bring these Pokemon up to future titles doesn't necessarily mean core series, they could just mean the next Let's Go title (if there is one).

My point is that people here being virtually unanimous that the game is a travesty doesn’t necessarily mean that’s how the majority of the fan base feels and that the game is doomed to fail.
I'll give you that, compared to actual terrible games, Let's Go is leaps above them. It's based on Pokemon Yellow, an already fine game, and it's a better version of that game.

I'll also give there is some bias, but not because Smogon is competitively mined. We're a bit bias cause there has been a lot of Gen I pandering and many players are tired of it, Let's Go seemingly as the penultimate example. Back to Gen I Kanto's story, no Pokemon from other gens (excluding special forms and the new Meltan family), and them removing mechanics such as Abilities to make the game feel like the original.

Honestly, if GF had come out and said these games were meant to be for both a new generation of players and to draw in the GO crowd I would not be complaining as much as I would. I'd still make jokes, but I wouldn't be yelling "WHY?!" at every odd decision they're making. But GF also wants the veteran players to buy this and trying to pass off lackluster content like the Master Trainers meant for them. And, no GF, Let's Go is a "loosened" experience to the core series. Sure, you'll get a batch of the veteran crowd who'll buy the game out of curiosity or because they'd want to play through Yellow again but in better graphics and more up-to-date mechanics, but you're not going to draw in all of us as this is a step back when compared to the core series of games.

GTG, when I come back I'll look through the latest Masuda interview, newest trailer, and more responses.

16:03: This is a first player trap unless you know what color the Contest Stats related to each normal stat: Red for Attack, Yellow for Defense, Blue for Special Attack, Green for Special Defense, and Pink for Speed.
Notably, the flowers are in the order the stats correlating to them used to be listed on the summary screen (Atk-Def-SpA-SpD-Speed), which is also the order they are listed in on Showdown, so even if you have no idea which contest stat relates to which nature (like me) you can guess accurately (i.e. if I want speed I pick the 5th flower).

Last edited:
Glad this game is something new, unlike USUM
I hate the names for moves, but really, they are just names for moves, not that big of a deal

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Okay, I'm going into this interview with an open mind. Yes, that last Masuda interview was, well, yikes, but he could have not been wording his thoughts correctly that day. So, let's put that last interview on the back burner and see where this interview leads us:

QUESTION: Where does the original creative spark for a new Pokémon adventure usually come from?

MASUDA: I think that no matter who you are, if you are a creative person, a new project begins with the desire to do something specific or figure out the solution to a specific problem. For example, we have Nintendo Switch, which can be used in the living room as a home console. So we have the issue of getting people into the room to play the game.
First question. FIRST QUESTION. I'm convinced that Masuda is an alien trying to understand us hu-mans and seems to be having a bit of a problem.
First off, why the living room specifically? As you mentioned, you can play the Switch in any room. The Switch is also meant to be a Console-Handheld hybrid. Why are you concerned with getting people into the living room? Heck, Pokemon was made for the Nintendo handhelds so you can play it on the go.
Also, all the other Switch games don't seem to have a problem doing this. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, and many other Switch games don't seem to have a problem getting people to sit down and play them. The Switch is successful, a more truer successor to the Wii and the Wii U was, so it's not like it's up to you to draw people to it. Whether Let's Go succeeds or fails, the Switch will march on and make Nintendo bank.
Is he specifically talking about the Pokemon GO crowd? They're the ones he's trying to "get to the living room"? Because what he's saying does not apply to the core Pokemon audience.

QUESTION: The world of Pokémon feels more active than ever in these games, giving the sense of a living, breathing place. Was that a priority during development (...)?

MASUDA: Because you don’t battle wild Pokémon in these games, we wanted to come up with ways to encourage people to run in and go find the Pokémon they want to encounter.
What? Why would they need encouragement to find the Pokemon they want to encounter? The fact they want the Pokemon is already encouragement enough. If anything, now that you can see the Pokemon you want walking around, it offers less encouragement to "run in" as now it's just one encounter they need to do instead of a dozen.

QUESTION: With this return to the Kanto region and the events of Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (...) how do you decide which details to change and which to keep the same?

MASUDA: (...) Now, there are a lot of features that were added in later Pokémon games, such as Eggs, Abilities, and held items, that didn’t exist at the time of Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition. However, we want kids today to experience something similar to what kids enjoyed 20 years ago.
Wow, there was something that needed to be said months ago.

QUESTION: (...) What different goals did you have in mind for the Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! video games?

MASUDA: (...) At the same time, probably because of the popularity of Pokémon the Series, I think most Pokémon fans prefer the less scary, kind of cuter, and more inviting look that the animated series provides.
If Masuda was playing a game of darts where each player had their own dart board, he would be throwing darts onto his opponent's board yet still think he was getting points.
In my experience, Pokemon fans either laugh at the anime or find it irritating how incompetent Ash and the writing is (especially in recent series). But that's aside the point, because I also find players want a balance of scary and cute. Because that makes the world feel more realistic and varied, sometimes you're walking through a field of cute Pokemon frolicking around, then there are times where you're exploring an abandoned building or graveyard. You don't need both for a fun adventure, but having both makes the adventure feel a bit more fulfilling as you're experiencing multiple aspects of the world.

QUESTION: It’s been five years since you last served as director—on Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Why were these the right games for you to return to that role?

MASUDA: But at the same time, it’s important to have the younger generation at GAME FREAK take over the development of Pokémon as a series. I do believe this will probably be, in terms of the main Pokémon RPGs, the last time that I work as the director.
Yeah, something about working on Pokemon GO seemed to have changed Masuda so his thinking no longer really aligns with that of the core Pokemon series. Sad to see him step down as he directed plenty of good Pokemon games, but this and the last interview has shown his thinking is not what the core series needs.

Thank you Masuda, even if you're not directing anymore we'll at least always have your music. :)

New trailer:
Only thing I have to say about the trailer is nice to see the in-game trades for the Alolan versions. But is it only the once or can you trade for an Alolan version of a Pokemon multiple times? Also, would they have the Ice Stone in the game to let you evolve Alolan Vulpix and Sandshrew?

Yellow didnt have this level of partner interaction
Many parts are now different
Its certainly more new than the third versions (bar Yellow)
Previous games had petting for all Pokemon
Only the rivals, game corner, and safari zone have been replaced. Everything is the same.
Of course its more new. Its the latest game!

Previous games had petting for all Pokemon
Only the rivals, game corner, and safari zone have been replaced. Everything is the same.
Of course its more new. Its the latest game!
More new as in more unique and less a blatant cashgrab like USUM

Yeah you just have the masters or whatever, Pokemon actually following you the way they should (no more 1m tall Onix), megas, gyms (again, Misty's Starmie and Scald...), the game seems to be more difficult if you only catch a team of six...

More new as in more unique and less a blatant cashgrab like USUM

Yeah you just have the masters or whatever, Pokemon actually following you the way they should (no more 1m tall Onix), megas, gyms (again, Misty's Starmie and Scald...), the game seems to be more difficult if you only catch a team of six...
I don't think so....? The max number appears in the party as always been 6, so how does that increase difficulty?

I don’t see what makes this game unique. The only truly unique thing it has are the go mechanics.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think the move name "Baddy Bad" was the straw that finally broke my hopes for this game. It's one thing to gear the experience towards kids. But another entirely to use language kids would grow out of before they are old enough to be physically capable of using the controller to play the game. It appears to be a localization issue, since the Japanese names aren't nearly as infantile, but it clearly shows that there's somebody in the production chain who clearly doesn't care about doing a proper job. I was going to wait for reviews before deciding whether to buy one of the games, but now I'm pretty certain I'll skip them unless there happens to be something immensely enjoyable in there that we haven't seen yet.

I think the move name "Baddy Bad" was the straw that finally broke my hopes for this game. It's one thing to gear the experience towards kids. But another entirely to use language kids would grow out of before they are old enough to be physically capable of using the controller to play the game. It appears to be a localization issue, since the Japanese names aren't nearly as infantile, but it clearly shows that there's somebody in the production chain who clearly doesn't care about doing a proper job. I was going to wait for reviews before deciding whether to buy one of the games, but now I'm pretty certain I'll skip them unless there happens to be something immensely enjoyable in there that we haven't seen yet.
Because of whoever translated the moves?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
since the Japanese names aren't nearly as infantile
What is the Japanese name for Baddy Bad and Glitzy Glow? Though I got to say the names of the previous three already sound better in Japan. Vivid Bubble instead of Bouncy Bubble, Shocking Electricity instead of Buzzy Buzz, and Blazing Burn instead of Sizzly Slide. Shocking Electricity may be a bit long, would change it to Electric Shock, but otherwise they could have kept those names. Is there anything about the way the Japenese names are said that has a pattern the translator tried to replicate?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The Japanese name pattern is [onomatopoeia + English word]. I guess the big difference is that printing and saying onomatopoeia out loud in English usually sounds infantile, but not so much in Japanese.
Ah, so now I can see where the translator was going with at least the first word. And since they couldn't follow the second naming pattern they made up their own with it being an alliteration.

Vivid is an odd way to describe the onomatopoeia, could they possibly mean sparkle? Sparkling Splash. Don't know where they got bounce though.

Using "buzz" isn't a bad onomatopoeia for a sparking sound. However using Buzz again, and making the first word "buzzy", makes it sound childish. Buzzing Bolt (or, if they want to get more creative, Buzzing Blitz).

Again, "sizzle" isn't a bad onomatopoeia for a burning sound. Out of all of them I think this one just needs a simple fix by replacing the childish sounding "-y" with a more proper "-ing". Sizzling Slide (guess Sizzling Singe wouldn't be bad either).

Need to know Glitzy Glow and Baddy Bad's exact Japanese translation to see where they were going with that. I can maybe see where they got Glitzy Glow, but I have no idea what onomatopoeia they got "baddy" from.

I don't think we know the non-English names of either of the two new moves yet. They showed up during the Treehouse segment after the Smash Direct which was English-only.

I feel like these translations come across as just not caring, or feeling like these games don't deserve the extra effort of making a better list of names. It's a translation thing but it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

I think they're trying to imitate the Japanese names without understanding why the Japanese names are what they are.

We might find out the Japanese names for Baddy Bad and Glitzy Glow this week during the regular new info time.

I feel like these translations come across as just not caring, or feeling like these games don't deserve the extra effort of making a better list of names. It's a translation thing but it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.
What you say is basically not understanding the difference between translation and localization.
They've had several case of basically literal translation that has terrible results (even more evident in some non english translations actually).

Lot of moves also completely lose part of their meaning in english (like Sucker Punch not being a punch at all, or Fake Out which loses its connection to cats)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)