Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
That is a thing but it's limited to gvoices and up or people that have contributed to Smogon, it's not something admins want to spend all their time on since they're the only ones with that access.
so you are able to request one with a community contributor badge?

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Can there be an auto-reply thing to /report? People often put /report [name] and all it tells them is that the command does not exist. Can it be changed to where it says something that specifies all they need to do is type /report and not include a name. Or maybe even make it possible to report with a name included to the command. A lot of people face this issue in the Help room i noticed.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

"Search categories are: type, tier, color, moves, ability, gen, resists, recovery, priority, stat, weight, height, egg group."
This is apparently what /help ds shows. I think it would be useful to have a parameter like that.

Not sure if someone already suggested this before but threw it away anyways.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have some small suggestions:

1. Make a cooldown for ''punishments''. Like for example, if someone was warned, then the cooldown wouldn't allow another person to warn them (the cooldown should be around 5 seconds). This does not prevent from other punishments being applied (e.g. getting warned then muted in the same time). This would avoid situations where a user is warned more than once in the same time.

2. If you do something like ''/ds !gen 5, !gen 6'', it will reject it because a Pokemon ''cannot have multiple gens'', although I'm on the opinion that Pokemon do not have multiple generations like this. Can we change it to accept commas (,) instead of columns ( | )?

/ds ou, weak rock:
Blacephalon, Charizard-Mega-X, Charizard-Mega-Y, Dragonite, Kyurem-Black, Marowak-Alola, Marowak-Alola-Totem, Ninetales-Alola, Pelipper, Pinsir-Mega, Victini, Volcarona, Zapdos

(This has actually been available on ROM for some time but I didn't think it was useful enough to bother submitting to main.)

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
- HTML polls | Currently there is no way for me to see if an htmlcreate poll with pictures looks good or if it even works at all. Can there be a place where I can test a poll like that? Groupchats do not allow such polls unless you are a global staff member.

- New battle chat window transfer | If you are chatting in a room on the side while challenging someone or looking for a battle, once you find the battle or the other person accepts the challenge, your blinking chatting thingy | will move to the new battle meaning you continue whatever you were talking about in the battle. This is super annoying and I'd like that to be removed if possible.

- Modnote | Can we make it so modnotes highlight staff members? I think that'd be useful to make sure roomauth does not miss potentially important notes. We talked about this in Cafe Le Wow before and I figured I'd make it an actual suggestion. I might have suggested this before now that I think of it. Sorry if that's the case.

i just thought of this it will certainly be helpful for me and others too. maybe showdown can have a command that is sorta like /dt but its different what it would do is put up to pokemon and then like show there stats and then maybe say on average who would win. the command input doesnt have to be this but an idea for what the input might be is /vs an example of what it may look like is /vs eevee, rattata what would say is

eevee: hp atk def - etc
55 55 50

rattata: hp atk def - etc.
30 56 35

winner: eevee

if any mods want more info about this just to know as well just pm me on smogon.
thanks
if this was to be any use whatsoever the simulator would have to take movesets typing abilities etc into account to give an accurate answer which is a momentous task and probably incredibly difficult for a diminishing return. Don’t think it’s possible.

I like that the "Battles" tab was created, and watching battles in Pokémon Showdown has been improved overall. But I still think there are some ways it can get better!
  • The "Elo 1300+" option is good, but for some metas (like OU), most people would rather watch Elo 1700+, for example. You could allow us to choose Elo x+, or give the option to choose between organizing battles chronologically or from highest to lowest elo.
  • As for more intricate suggestions, having a Filter system would also be cool. For example, put "Chansey" and it will only show battles that have Chansey in one of the teams (in metagames with Team Preview).
  • Now into even more "not likely to happen" suggestions, it would be cool to give more support to the watching side of Pokémon Showdown, many players hide even their ladder battles, because there's not much reason to not do, you're only giving information to opponents willing to search for the replays. So, maybe we could have "awards" for players that allow people to watch their battles, like "Top 10 Most Watched Battles of the Day", "Top 10 Most Watched Players of the Day", etc. and also maybe a room or a place for people to start watching battles together and comment on them (yeah, I know this is all kinda too much lol, but maybe someday).

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
  • Now into even more "not likely to happen" suggestions, it would be cool to give more support to the watching side of Pokémon Showdown, many players hide even their ladder battles, because there's not much reason to not do, you're only giving information to opponents willing to search for the replays. So, maybe we could have "awards" for players that allow people to watch their battles, like "Top 10 Most Watched Battles of the Day", "Top 10 Most Watched Players of the Day", etc. and also maybe a room or a place for people to start watching battles together and comment on them (yeah, I know this is all kinda too much lol, but maybe someday).
the others are good but this one is stupid imo. if you're searching for an opponent's replays, the hidden ones won't show up (you can still view them if provided a link, but you can't find them by searching). this gives people an actual reason to hide their battles.

however i think there might be some merit to the "top 10 most watched battles" thing; the recommended replays were cool but they seem to have died.

Isthere a possibility for a Bo3 VGC ladder? This would give us a more realistic environment to test our teams in, since most/all real life VGC events are Bo3.

So in a battle, the logs bold the moves used. i.e. Pikachu used Volt Tackle! How about making the Pokemon using that move bold too? Or is too redundant? Distracting?

I only bring it up because I was on mobile and spectating a battle I joined in the middle of. I wanted to see the turns in which a Pokemon was sent out and my only cues, among the sea of normal text, was the bolded move names. I was thinking how convenient it'd have been to have bolded Pokemon names too.

The new layout for the battle screen should be changed.

It has two buttons on either side of the screen, one for attack and one for switch. Hitting attack brings up the moves for the pokemon on the field, and hitting switch allows you to see your pokemon. This is changed from the old layout, where the moves for the pokemon on the field were displayed above a list of the other pokemon in your party.

The new layout is similar to the layout of the 3ds battle screen, and I can see the advantage of having a similar layout across showdown and the actual game. However, coupled with the incredibly short timer, this layout is a disaster. In Random battles, it is important to know what pokemon you are given so that you can adapt to the team on the fly. Now, the only way to examine your team is to look at it with the switch menu open and the timer running down. Previously, you were able to look at your team in between turns. In VGC and other Doubles, you have to choose twice the options every turn, on account of having two pokemon on the field. The current layout has double the menus as the old layout, and takes twice as long to select each move. With the short timer, this leaves almost no time for the careful strategizing that is so important to competitive pokemon. As for having the same layout as the games, keep in mind that we are using a mouse and keyboard, not a controller. And with a mouse and keyboard, it is more effective to have a larger menu with more options (the older layout) that multiple layers of menus (the current layout).

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and have a nice day.

The new layout for the battle screen should be changed.

It has two buttons on either side of the screen, one for attack and one for switch. Hitting attack brings up the moves for the pokemon on the field, and hitting switch allows you to see your pokemon. This is changed from the old layout, where the moves for the pokemon on the field were displayed above a list of the other pokemon in your party.

The new layout is similar to the layout of the 3ds battle screen, and I can see the advantage of having a similar layout across showdown and the actual game. However, coupled with the incredibly short timer, this layout is a disaster. In Random battles, it is important to know what pokemon you are given so that you can adapt to the team on the fly. Now, the only way to examine your team is to look at it with the switch menu open and the timer running down. Previously, you were able to look at your team in between turns. In VGC and other Doubles, you have to choose twice the options every turn, on account of having two pokemon on the field. The current layout has double the menus as the old layout, and takes twice as long to select each move. With the short timer, this leaves almost no time for the careful strategizing that is so important to competitive pokemon. As for having the same layout as the games, keep in mind that we are using a mouse and keyboard, not a controller. And with a mouse and keyboard, it is more effective to have a larger menu with more options (the older layout) that multiple layers of menus (the current layout).

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and have a nice day.
That's not a new layout. That layout is activated if the device's screen is too small.

The Diabolic Gift

Banned deucer.
Similarly to being able to ignore nicknames and chat while playing a Pokemon battle, I think it would be a good feature for you to be able to ignore nicknames or the chat post-game from replay.pokemonshowdown.com (especially Nicknames as they very difficult to blurr out if you were to record a YT video of your games).

So in a battle, the logs bold the moves used. i.e. Pikachu used Volt Tackle! How about making the Pokemon using that move bold too? Or is too redundant? Distracting?

I only bring it up because I was on mobile and spectating a battle I joined in the middle of. I wanted to see the turns in which a Pokemon was sent out and my only cues, among the sea of normal text, was the bolded move names. I was thinking how convenient it'd have been to have bolded Pokemon names too.
Yeah, it would kinda throw people off.

Similarly to being able to ignore nicknames and chat while playing a Pokemon battle, I think it would be a good feature for you to be able to ignore nicknames or the chat post-game from replay.pokemonshowdown.com (especially Nicknames as they very difficult to blurr out if you were to record a YT video of your games).
You already can do that.

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
Add a request a draw button. Its incredibly annoying playing when we have a endless battle and have to play to 1000 turns to draw. Also make it where if you draw with someone after requesting draw/1000 turns that you dont gain or lose points, as today I lost 12 points in a draw because I was 200 points higher on ladder.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Add a request a draw button. Its incredibly annoying playing when we have a endless battle and have to play to 1000 turns to draw. Also make it where if you draw with someone after requesting draw/1000 turns that you dont gain or lose points, as today I lost 12 points in a draw because I was 200 points higher on ladder.
As for a request draw feature, it's been discussed plenty of times before in the Policy Review subforum to combat endless battles, but no real consensus has been reached on the matter. But not losing points after a tie would lead to people abusing it by either stalling out games/requesting a tie against friends or others just because the matchup wasn't ideal or something similar, ties are to prevent games from going on for a really long time regardless of the reason for it taking that long.

The Diabolic Gift

Banned deucer.
You already can do that.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oumonotype-82345404 can you find the button?

Can it not be microscopic? Man, before you comment can you please
A. Read my post completely
B. Check the crap for yourself (Because I wouldn't have posted if I didn't... I hate going on Smogon.)

It doesn't exist... flat out..
You Can
Change to Light Mode or Dark Mode
Turn Music on or off
Switch Sides
Skip turns / Reverse / Reset
Change Speed

You Cannot
Hide Nicknames Post-Battle via Replay
Hide Chat Post-Battle via Replay

But what makes this most disappointing, is both features exist in live-battle... So i'm wondering if replays would use the same coding to hide nicknames as live battles, if they were able to actually hide nicknames... if so that's just kind of pathetic...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)