Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon UU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguine

friendly fire
is a Tiering Contributor
Slowbro: C to C+ (Possibly higher but I want to see how this goes)
At first glance not much has changed for Slowbro, but since Rotom-W got banned, Volt-turn, Slowbro's greatest enemy, lost their biggest key component, which severely damages Volt turn cores and will possibly die out in a few months. Bro no longer has to worry about that little bastard in the back switching in and being able to do nothing to it. Since the main factor to the success of VoltTurn has left, Slowbro has already been seemingly more effective.
You could argue Rotom Wash being gone helps it, but Alowak + Gengar dropping hurt it’s viability even more, and its still as passive and slow as ever. I wouldn’t say Voltturn’s biggest component was Rotom W. Sure, it was a big part, but as long as you have MMane + Scizor, Voltturn will still remain a strong playstyle. Keep it at C, hell drop it to C-.

How does the removal of Rotom make Seismitoad bad?
the entire reason you used seismitoad over swampert was because of its water immunity allowing it to prevent washtom from doing anything

swampert still deals with mega manectric and raikou and mega aerodactyl and other threats that you'd want a defensive check to just fine
seismitoad does still have knock but i don't think that's enough to use it over swampert in a meta without washtom

the entire reason you used seismitoad over swampert was because of its water immunity allowing it to prevent washtom from doing anything

swampert still deals with mega manectric and raikou and mega aerodactyl and other threats that you'd want a defensive check to just fine
seismitoad does still have knock but i don't think that's enough to use it over swampert in a meta without washtom
But Seismitoad still has Water Absorb and Water-types like Suicune and Primarina are common in UU

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I agree that Seismitoad lost a lot of viability with Rotom going, but with that said, it shouldn't drop that much. It can still check stuff like Vincune which is nice, and besides, I honestly think Rotom-W leaving is just temporary since a lot of the usage that got it back into OU was probably just Defog hype IMO. Once that dies down, it'll come back, trust me.

Drop it to B- imo

Slowbro: C to C+ (Possibly higher but I want to see how this goes)
At first glance not much has changed for Slowbro, but since Rotom-W got banned, Volt-turn, Slowbro's greatest enemy, lost their biggest key component, which severely damages Volt turn cores and will possibly die out in a few months. Bro no longer has to worry about that little bastard in the back switching in and being able to do nothing to it. Since the main factor to the success of VoltTurn has left, Slowbro has already been seemingly more effective. Also, it doesn't get eclipsed by Seismitoad as role of a bulky water, as it is now not viable thanks to the rise of Rotom-W in OU. It can set up and sweep more easily thanks to these factors.

Mamoswine: To A+??
I know this sounds crazy, but Mamoswine has gotten a lot better with the loss of Rotom-W. The Washing machine was arguably Mamoswine's biggest problem and now It doesn't have to run freeze dry anymore to avoid being walled by it or being afraid of getting burned because it isn't even in the tier anymore! Mamoswine can crush Stakataka and Dusk Lycanroc as well before they can even think about sweeping, and this will be a very important skill in the coming months. Also, Seismitoad being much less viable is great too, as it just couldn't do enough to it and Toad could just kill it with scald. I expect Mamoswine to be a greater threat than ever in UU thanks to these new tier changes.

Okay sorry but do we seriously need to be making nominations like this immediately after tier shifts are announced? We have NO idea how any Pokemon are to fare in a metagame that we haven't played any of yet, and Mamoswine rising honesty isn't something that should happen merely because Rotom-W is gone. Bulky waters are still prevalent enough to warrant using Freeze-Dry, and Mamoswine still succumbs to offensive pressure way too easily, especially in a tier dominated by Scizor. This nomination seems to be on the basis of you enjoying Mamoswine as a Pokemon since you constantly nominate it up and right now it isn't even possible to see if it's gotten better. It might become more, but these new Pokemon aren't legal on ladder yet and there's so much that could change.

Please slow down, everyone. Tier shifts just happened and we have no idea what it's going to mean for really any Pokemon you're nominating up or down. Let's cool it a little, there's so much that could end up happening that we don't know of yet.

Kommo-o to B+

I have been using this mon in UU a lot lately, and I discovered with the right team, Kommo-o can be a complete beast. I find it often getting 2, sometimes even 3 kills a game. With it's great bulk and solid coverage, Kommo-o can set up on a lot of threats like Gliscor, Serperior, Snorlax, Moltres, Mega Aggron, and Swampert, and keep them guessing what coverage move it is running, from elemental punches to aqua tail to iron tail to even poison jab or earthquake. As for it's STAB moves, CC is excellent for hitting big threats like Mega Aggron, Mamoswine, Stakataka, Snorlax, and Kyurem for Massive damage when boosted. As for it's Dragon STAB, it hits everything except steel and of course fairy for neutral damage and Outrage has great power, especially with the Draconium-Z, making it suprisingly hard to switch into at +1. However, Kommo-o obviously has issues with fairy pokemon, especially Mega Altaria, so it is important to give it a teammate that can take care of fairies if Kommo-o is unable to get rid of them, like Stakataka. Kommo-o still does have Iron tail though, which lets it OHKO a lot of fairies when boosted. Overall, Kommo-o is an exceedingly powerful breaker, especially when boosted, and I believe it should sit on the VR with the likes of pokemon like Krookodile, Kyurem, and Moltres rather than where it is now.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Just to add to the above post and its relevance in the current metagame, due to blocking Gyro Ball, Bulletproof actually makes Kommo as solid an offensive switchin to Stakataka as anything. Losing Soundproof seems like it sucks, but in reality being able to check Stak definitely seems more important than being able to manoeuvre round Sylveon at this point in the metagame. It’s not just limited to DD sets though, there’s an SD SR set I’ve been seeing from time to time which can also be an effective and unexpected set. I don’t know if I would advocate all the way up to B+, but B is definitely fair and warranted.

e: checking Crawdaunt and unboosted Marowak is also nice for the TR matchup that’s prominent atm.

Last edited:
1515941177418.png

Bewear from B- to B/B+

This 'mon is heavily slept on atm, so I thought this would be as good a time as any to spread the gospel of bandbear. This set has a nice mu versus some of the most popular playstyles right now, including Trick Room and Balance, and Offensive Builds. Bear in general serves as a nice switchin to Stakataka, as well as heavily pressuring/ko'ing 3 of our 5 S ranks. Bewear has its drawbacks, like not being able to tank a special hit or its below average speed tier; but with the exception of Swampert and sash lead Azelf, which should see a nice rise in usage and ranking, all of the B+ ranks use a moderate amount of support to make them work in the ways we need them to. Pairing bandbear with a mon that can take advantage of its breaking and a core that synergizes well enough to tank special hits is the way to go on this one; hell, even Z-dEdge Bear can put in a moderate amount of work to some extent. Overall, with the new drops and our lineup of higher ranked mons, Bewear is a sleeper pick which deserves to see more usage and a higher ranking.
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Stakataka: 360-428 (110.7 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Stakataka: 408-480 (125.5 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 313-370 (111.3 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Double-Edge vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Gliscor: 256-303 (72.7 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 322-380 (99.3 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 126-148 (36.7 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 333-393 (77 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Bewear from B- to B/B+

This 'mon is heavily slept on atm, so I thought this would be as good a time as any to spread the gospel of bandbear. This set has a nice mu versus some of the most popular playstyles right now, including Trick Room and Balance, and Offensive Builds. Bear in general serves as a nice switchin to Stakataka, as well as heavily pressuring/ko'ing 3 of our 5 S ranks. Bewear has its drawbacks, like not being able to tank a special hit or its below average speed tier; but with the exception of Swampert and sash lead Azelf, which should see a nice rise in usage and ranking, all of the B+ ranks use a moderate amount of support to make them work in the ways we need them to. Pairing bandbear with a mon that can take advantage of its breaking and a core that synergizes well enough to tank special hits is the way to go on this one; hell, even Z-dEdge Bear can put in a moderate amount of work to some extent. Overall, with the new drops and our lineup of higher ranked mons, Bewear is a sleeper pick which deserves to see more usage and a higher ranking.
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Stakataka: 360-428 (110.7 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Stakataka: 408-480 (125.5 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 313-370 (111.3 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Double-Edge vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Gliscor: 256-303 (72.7 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 322-380 (99.3 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 126-148 (36.7 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 333-393 (77 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Just a quick note for those wishing to use Bewear on Trick Room teams. I think SD is much better in room because CB locking you in can result in Gengar coming in and claiming one with Shadow Ball or getting up a sub, which can be catestrophic for Trick Room. In the same vein, I think that you should use AV Alolan Muk with this thing if you’re using CB due to it being able to remove the aforementioned Gengar. I’ve been playing around with Bewear Trick Room a lot lately and totally agree with this rise because the playstyle’s resent surge in viability makes Bewear a super cool pick atm due to it being able to switch into stuff like Mega Bee that annoys the fuck out of TR.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasnt it been over 72 hours since the tier shift happened. If so where is the update to the VR
People have lives, and to quote OP: "Next update after tier shifts - it will be big (all Pokemon case by case looked at)." That takes time, especially since they have to reconsider all these mons in light of the new shifts.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasnt it been over 72 hours since the tier shift happened. If so where is the update to the VR
People have lives, and to quote OP: "Next update after tier shifts - it will be big (all Pokemon case by case looked at)." That takes time, especially since they have to reconsider all these mons in light of the new shifts.
But a decent chunk of my life is playing Pokémon because Pokémon is fun :) I learned my lesson from last time so I didn't say there would be an update in 72 hours, right? If I did, sorry, I have no idea why I said that because it's not true. I don't know when the update will be but it will probably in a new thread since someone else will be taking over very soon.

It was a good learning experience for me leading these threads, I hope this was a good tool for people playing UU. Thanks for letting me host and please be patient with to whoever leads the thread next (we are all just volunteers after all).

But a decent chunk of my life is playing Pokémon because Pokémon is fun :) I learned my lesson from last time so I didn't say there would be an update in 72 hours, right? If I did, sorry, I have no idea why I said that because it's not true. I don't know when the update will be but it will probably in a new thread since someone else will be taking over very soon.

It was a good learning experience for me leading these threads, I hope this was a good tool for people playing UU. Thanks for letting me host and please be patient with to whoever leads the thread next (we are all just volunteers after all).
Actually you did before the shift happened it said on the rankings post on the top it said that there will be an update 72 hours after the tier shift

I nominate Cloyster from c- to c+/b-
In my opinion i feel like cloyster is heavily slept on as a sweeper and I know it has competition from azu and mamo but cloyster has shell smash which is better than belly drum as shell smash doesnt half hp it lowers only defenses but a white herb remedies this as u only need one smash to sweep or revenge. Cloyster also has skill link which makes icicle spear have a bp of 125 and cant miss and when cloyster did its job u can explode to remove a threat that isnt resistant or is a ghost type. Cloyster does also lose to special attackers, water types, and steel types, and quagsire ignores the smash boost and can hinder cloyster with scald burns hence why it isnt that high in the rankings but cloyster definitely needs a raise. The calcs show how after a smash cloyster can beat some of the top threats 1v1
+2 252 Atk Cloyster Explosion vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 527-621 (130 - 153.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 690-820 (226.2 - 268.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 49-58 (20.3 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 86-101 (35.6 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 249-294 (88.6 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 213-252 (62 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Stakataka: 410-486 (125.7 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 420-500 (139.5 - 166.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after burn damage
Cloyster can also beat some of the prominent fighting types
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cobalion: 271-319 (83.9 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 186-218 (77.1 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Are gliscor calcs needed here

Last edited:

Akai

Indeed akai is either a mom or 50
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Kommo-o to B+

I have been using this mon in UU a lot lately, and I discovered with the right team, Kommo-o can be a complete beast. I find it often getting 2, sometimes even 3 kills a game. With it's great bulk and solid coverage, Kommo-o can set up on a lot of threats like Gliscor, Serperior, Snorlax, Moltres, Mega Aggron, and Swampert, and keep them guessing what coverage move it is running, from elemental punches to aqua tail to iron tail to even poison jab or earthquake. As for it's STAB moves, CC is excellent for hitting big threats like Mega Aggron, Mamoswine, Stakataka, Snorlax, and Kyurem for Massive damage when boosted. As for it's Dragon STAB, it hits everything except steel and of course fairy for neutral damage and Outrage has great power, especially with the Draconium-Z, making it suprisingly hard to switch into at +1. However, Kommo-o obviously has issues with fairy pokemon, especially Mega Altaria, so it is important to give it a teammate that can take care of fairies if Kommo-o is unable to get rid of them, like Stakataka. Kommo-o still does have Iron tail though, which lets it OHKO a lot of fairies when boosted. Overall, Kommo-o is an exceedingly powerful breaker, especially when boosted, and I believe it should sit on the VR with the likes of pokemon like Krookodile, Kyurem, and Moltres rather than where it is now.
Well I'm agree with Kommo-o to B-

The only set of Kommo-o you can play in the current meta is this one mainly because the council banned the Z.
Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

Which means two things, first one you new a window to set up you pokémon but in the meta there's a mons call scizor with bb can broke the sub and kill after the set-up, secondly to build around that pokemon (in my opinion) is very complicated, kommo-o can be play in the current meta but you need a strong to help that pokémon to set-up and sweep the ennemi's team.
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 135-159 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO

Well I'm agree with Kommo-o to B-

The only set of Kommo-o you can play in the current meta is this one mainly because the council banned the Z.
Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

Which means two things, first one you new a window to set up you pokémon but in the meta there's a mons call scizor with bb can broke the sub and kill after the set-up, secondly to build around that pokemon (in my opinion) is very complicated, kommo-o can be play in the current meta but you need a strong to help that pokémon to set-up and sweep the ennemi's team.
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 135-159 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
He wasn't talking about the kommo-o z move, just regular d-dance with dragonium-z. More people on ladder are running moonblast with Sylveon for Kommo-o, so people are now running bullet proof as it allows Kommo-o to not get hit by broken gyro ball from Staka, and it resists it's rock STAB, so Kommo-o can set up on it pretty easily with Swords Dance or Dragon Dance. Some people in UU chatroom have talked about stealth rocks + Swords Dance but, I have no idea how good that is but, it is another set that Kommo-o can use in this meta. I think Freeroamer can elaborate on this set better.

I just want to say this: Mega Manectric to S rank. I definitely feel certain about this nomination this time.
Mega Manectric allows VoltTurn to still be an actual strategy for teams in this meta. Mega Manectric handles Balance Teams and Hyper Offensive teams really well in this meta due to high speed, Volt Switch momentum, Intimidate, and coverage. Mega Manectric at full health can be a neat offensive blanket check to more than half of the tier. Mega Manectric + Scizor is a great offensive VoltTurn core that a lot of teams have trouble handling because U-Turn and Volt Switch coming from great attackers can really put a lot of pressure early to mid-game. Since they both force a lot of switches, they can bring in big threats that manhandle fat pokes, like Serperior for Hippowdown & Swampert, also Mamoswine for weakened teams. So, Mega Manectric is very splashable on teams and it can handle a lot of the meta while, also being somewhat overcentralizing. A big problem is Stall but, you don't see it too much on ladder, and you rarely see it in tourneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)