Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This mon is a boon to balanced teams...and I love the EV spread! Might I suggest pairing it up with something that doesn't care about Rotom? Because you don't have Facade here :P.

This mon is a boon to balanced teams...and I love the EV spread! Might I suggest pairing it up with something that doesn't care about Rotom? Because you don't have Facade here :P.
I always assume Return for -ate abilities, mostly because of Mega Pinsir and more power. Updated!

Looking at some more calcs, you check Rotom better with Facade, but you check Raikou and Manectric to a lesser degree than with Return. You actually lose to those two without Return or base 140 Facade. Return wins based on how some damage rolls fall (favors Altaria by rough mental math).

Last edited:
The thing with mega swampert is that it has a sorta FMSD. U can use hydro pump to pummel skarmory and foretress, Superpower/PuP can be used for ferrothorn, and lastly stone edge can cover gyrados. All of these pokes wall mega-swamp if he's not carrying the correct move.
Anyways, I've been running an affective offensive core in Mega-Swampert/Goth/Kingdra. Goth easily dispatches Ferrothorn, skarmory,slowbro while kingdra can KO or at the very least servely damage opposing dragon types and rotom-W making it easy for mega-swamp to sweep.

Can it also check MegaHeracross? After 1 round of SR damage how many EVs would it take for Return to OHKO?
224+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 276-326 (88.7 - 104.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
220+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 272-324 (87.4 - 104.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

By investing 252 EVs in speed, you outspeed every non-Jolly Mega Heracross, assuming it has already Mega Evolved (and is using base 75 speed instead of base 85). Fully physically defensive sets can't really pull off check duty due to it being slower than most Heracross.

the problem is that base forme altaria's atttack sucks so MUCH,so MALtaria ended up being a pretty balanced poke.Which isn't necessarioy a bad thing :P

I've been making tons of different teams with the new megas and I have been put in several situations were mega swampert comes in and just wins. Waterfall in the rain is just incredibly powerful, and earthquake is such a fantastic STAB to have in general. Definitely not underwhelming from my experience so far.

Mega altaria is really interesting. It went through this phase of theorymoning were people said it was going to be so good, and then we got access to it and people were saying it was underwhelming, but now people are saying it's really good again. lol.
I definitely wanna give it a try. It seems like with its great mixed bulk, typing, and offences that it can do a ton of different roles effectively. For those of you who have experience, how do the DD sets perform and what do they look like? (Evs, moves etc)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Guys, please stop with the one liners and the simple questions. One liners don't have any place anywhere in the forum in general and simple questions belong to the simple questions thread. Expect me to start deleting posts liberally from now on, so think before you post.

I'd probably go with Keldeo instead of Kingdra or Ludi on a rain core. Keldeo provides good offensive presence even outside of rain, which the others really don't, and means you're not constantly beholden to your rain countdown.

Politoed/Swampert/Keldeo/Ferrothorn is probably where I'd start if I were building a rain core.
I would honestly never run Swampert as a stand-alone Swift Swimmer. I mean it's strong and all but it's not that strong, LO Kabu is stronger, though only by a small amount. But Specs Kingdra is much stronger (specs Hydro does ~48% more [vs. Mew],) and also faster. The Swift Swim not activating on turn one thing is also a bummer, so bad things can happen with that.

However, it is really nice to have a Swift Swimmer that can actually, you know, switch in to stuff. Especially Electrics. But I would definitely never have it as the sole swimmer.

The whole purpose of rain is to wear down the same pokemon with redundant breakers. MPert comes in, weakens the defensive pokemon, then kingra comes in, and gets walled by the special pokemon. Or, Mpert comes in, and after weakening the defensive pokemon, kabutops comes in, breaks it, then sweeps the rest of the team.

Soo... this is why I would use Kabutops over any special attacker.
The thing is that, beyond Chansey (who is so exploitable and easy to pull double switches off of,) their checks overlap pretty well. You need to be fat as fuck to switch in to specs hydro if you don't resist, and even then you need to be pretty dang bulky cause you've gotta eat a second one, too (Azu is 2HKOed without AV, for example.) It doesn't really matter that Kingdra (and Omastar) are special; they do so much damage that there's really only one special wall able to take them on (w/o water resist.)

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
Mmm.... Mega-Sceptile is soooooo cool. Right now I'm running:
Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Unless you're running a dedicated special wall (i.e. Chansey or Sylveon) you're gonna have a rough time walling this set. I thought the lack of draco meteor would be a hindrance, but honestly in practice it seems like Leaf Storm has been more useful as a nuke. Seems like teams are so prepared to take a draco from the Latis with pokemon like Assualt Vest Azu or T-tar, yet no one is prepared for the leaf storm nuke. Also dragon pulse is a great move with a lot of neutral coverage to scout the opponents for switches before following up with a fully powered Leaf Storm or HP fire.

Man, I love this thing.

So far I've tested Sharpedo, Altaria, Beedrill, Pidgeot and Lopunny.

I found Sharpedo to be pretty effective. Strong Jaw Crunch is incredibly powerful with good neutral coverage for late game cleaning. Standard physically defensive Rotom is easily 2KHO'd after rocks. Ice Fang has OHKO'd everything it's needed to so far. However, I did find 105 base speed to be lacking. This can be remedied by pre-Mega speed boosting, but you only get one chance so be wise about it. I would say it's just barely OU viable.

Pidgeot is interesting. As a Tornadus-T user, I can't tell you how liberating it is to spam 100% accurate Hurricane. High BP fire coverage is a godsend for any special attacker, as Manectric has taught us. All it needs is Boomburst and Focus Blast and it'll be a force to be reckoned with. As it stands, it just doesn't hit enough things hard enough.

252 SpA M-Pidgeot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 193-228 (47.7 - 56.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If only ;-;

The others have been covered. I have nothing new really to say about them.

Thoughts on Body Slam Mence for the DD/Refresh/Roost/Return (or Body Slam?) set?
The lack of coverage will be greatly missed so you better have mons on your team that can take the mons who resist flying types or MegaMence won't be doing much. But at least it lets you take on the will-o-wisp spam happy mons like Rotom-W much easier. However MegaMence can't tank everything and elec mons with boltbeam coverage (like MegaManectric) should make a quick work of it so again it requires greater offense support to function if you just wanna run one attack on it.

But the ingenious thing about MegaMence is it's unpredictability so refresh will definitely throw people off so by all means go for it and see how it works. Just be careful using it as smart players will notice it's lack of attack moves if you play carelessly with it.

I think I've optimized Altaria checking both Zards.

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 216 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Return / Facade
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Calcs:
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Altaria: 148-175 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Altaria: 124-147 (35 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
32 Atk Altaria Dragon Claw vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 176-210 (52.8 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You win as long an you switch in on the Dragon Dance.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Altaria in Sun: 149-176 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Altaria: 99-117 (27.9 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Altaria: 135-160 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
32 Atk Altaria Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 118-139 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 32 Atk Altaria Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 177-208 (59.5 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I know, lol Air Slash. But that's the only other attack that crosses 24% damage. You can always flinch hax Alt to death. Stalling out the Sun turns is probably your best option, but it can also be worked around (especially with some Blast miss hax).

Rocks have to be kept off the field, but that's probably as close as you'll see in one set.
If Zard X ever decides to run Iron Tail it OHKOS at +1 and with Steel Wing it 2HKOS at +1 , still if Altaria gets worn down it wont be able to take on any of the Zards.

Also Running Both stabs ends up with redundant coverage cause every single steel type in the game can come into this set with absolutely nothing to worry about

Which it won't? Most sets can't even afford to run EQ.
The Bulky sets don't run EQ, But the 252 atk/252 spe Sets always run EQ. Plus if Altaria really becomes a problem for it people can start running it since it OHKOS almost all Fairies without the need of taking Recoil from FlareBlitz.
(it might also be satisfactory to watch your opponet bring its altaria thinking hes got everything under control, just to take an Iron Tail to the face, JS though)

The Bulky sets don't run EQ, But the 252 atk/252 spe Sets always run EQ. Plus if Altaria really becomes a problem for it people can start running it since it OHKOS almost all Fairies without the need of taking Recoil from FlareBlitz.
(it might also be satisfactory to watch your opponet bring its altaria thinking hes got everything under control, just to take an Iron Tail to the face, JS though)
You can run Iron Tail, but that is the textbook definition of a lure. You are sacrificing greater overall options for a very specific target. Most likely you are going to be dropping Roost or Earthquake to run Iron Tail. EQ is more valuable for hitting a widely used non-Mega (Heatran) instead of a Mega you will run into less often(Altaria), and losing self recovery is sacrifing considerable staying power that offsets Flare Blitz recoil. The Flare Blitz and Roost combination is superior to Iron Tail in most situations.

Last edited:
You can run Iron Tail, but that is the textbook definition of a lure. You are sacrificing greater overall options for a very specific target. Most likely you are going to be dropping Roost or Earthquake to run Iron Tail. EQ is more valuable for hitting a widely used non-Mega (Heatran) instead of a Mega you will run into less often(Altaria), and losing self recovery is sacrifing considerable staying power that offsets Flare Blitz recoil. The Flare Blitz and Roost combination is superior to Iron Tail in most situations.
Of Course I know EQ and Roost are both superior options, I was just saying that if somebody really and I mean really hated Altaria, Clefable and other Faries he could choose to run Iron Tail or even Steel Wing to hit them for SE DMG

Of Course I know EQ and Roost are both superior options, I was just saying that if somebody really and I mean really hated Altaria, Clefable and other Faries he could choose to run Iron Tail or even Steel Wing to hit them for SE DMG
Iron tail is highly unreliable, however. It only have 100 Power, 70 Accuracy and 10 PP.... Just.. Don't.

Iron tail is highly unreliable, however. It only have 100 Power, 70 Accuracy and 10 PP.... Just.. Don't.
75 ACC* and 24 PP, and is boosted by Tough Claws, and if you're afraid of the Acc can also try Steel wing. Anyways I didn't say it was the superior move to run Just people COULD run it if they wanted to since it OHKOS Mega Altaria and a bunch of other fairies

Through all my time on the ladder I have yet to see a M-Mence use a single attacking move other than Return/Frustration. And it still dominates. Once people start to experiment and run different sets its going to be insane.

Since everyone and their mother has a check to conventional MMence sets I had been experimenting with a Sub/Roost/Body Slam/EQ set on Bulky Offense, which has been pretty great. Aerilate Body Slam and EQ has great coverage together and the 30% chance to paralyse is pretty great. SubRoost or SubWish is really nice for Mence as many things fail to break its sub when given some defensive investment. (And SubRoost is annoying in general). Uninvested Aerilate Body Slam still hurts like shit coming from 145 Atk. Additionally, pairs really well with Heatran which resists all its weaknesses, and Celebi, who deals with EdgeQuake. Of course it faces some challenge with Altaria for such a role, but Aerilate Body Slam is much more spammable than Pixilate Body Slam due to better coverage in general and a much better Atk stat.
Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Atk / 140 Def / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Substitute
EVs are very specific. 240 HP rounds down Stealth Rock damage from 98 to 97. 92 Atk guarantees an OHKO on 24 Def Gardevoir after SR. 36 Spe outspeeds Timid Gardrvoir, Jolly Gallade and Cham before they Mega and OHKO them. Rest are put in Def with an Impish nature to maximize bulk.

Last edited:
The thing about Mence is that its so good that you can literally just build a team around taking out its checks and rely on it to do the rest. If you're running the standard set with only one attacking move you just need Mag and something to deal with the few things like Heatran or whatever (but even tran fears EQ). I mean once ORAS officially comes out and people are done playing with all the new toys the whole meta is going to revolve around this thing.

After a bit of experimenting in the ORAS ladder, I can honestly say that MegaMence is... Underwhelming. I honestly don't see how it's "Omg guys it's gonna get banned immediately", as a dragon dancer, it's decent, but it's IMO outclassed by zard x,(dragon/flying<dragon/fire, no compounded weakness, roughly the same bulk) and in some sense, mega pinsir is more efficient than mence with a higher attack, swords dance over dd, and PRIORITY. And while it's special set has colorful moves, (it has draco meteor, aerialate hyper voice, fire blast, and hydro pump) 120 sp atk with no boost item/moves doesn't help it. It's a good Pokemon, but I don't think it's as good as people make it out to be.
That being said, mega slowbro is WAY too good. Unlike most other physical walls, this boy not only has monstrous 95/180 defenses (holy crap that's literally insane) but: A surprisingly useful defensive typing, (unlike (sniffle) aggron, avalugg, shuckle etc.), a way to bolster his lesser defense, and RECOVERY. Oh my gosh this thing is crocune on steroids. (it takes ~45% from mega mence +1 aerlialate return hehe) From what I can tell, slowbro is gonna wreck in the new metagame.

After a bit of experimenting in the ORAS ladder, I can honestly say that MegaMence is... Underwhelming. I honestly don't see how it's "Omg guys it's gonna get banned immediately", as a dragon dancer, it's decent, but it's IMO outclassed by zard x,(dragon/flying<dragon/fire, no compounded weakness, roughly the same bulk) and in some sense, mega pinsir is more efficient than mence with a higher attack, swords dance over dd, and PRIORITY. And while it's special set has colorful moves, (it has draco meteor, aerialate hyper voice, fire blast, and hydro pump) 120 sp atk with no boost item/moves doesn't help it. It's a good Pokemon, but I don't think it's as good as people make it out to be.
Did you remember to click the Megavolve button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)