Post your favorite anime

I'm surprised no one else has seen/mentioned Hellsing. I thought it was excellent. A rather original and different take on the whole vampire thing (not f*cking shiny!) and the remake Hellsing Ultimate was really well redrawn and added way more depth than the first one.
I mentioned it. I like how the tension is three-party based, I like that it's not just Religious Organisation v. Undead Monsters, but Protestants v. Catholics v. Undead.

It is not preferences, it literally is about quality. There is a real incoherence and particular style of lazy art that is endemic to a lot of late '80s early '90s manga. City Hunter, Kenji http://myanimelist.net/manga/15426/Kenji, not to mention that they all have the same protagonists and gags. Their modern inheritors are manga like, say, Ikigami or Heads or that one about a virus; it is slightly different, but the poor quality has just changed to be a slightly different art style (even worse, sadly).

The worst part of Conan and Kindaichi both is the unwillingness to have stories that are not murders or murder attempts anyway, since the rates at which they happen, and especially happen involving the protagonists, is really hard to keep belief suspended throughout. In my eyes, better murder stories does not really help anything, but the style they are handled in Kindaichi is just plain sloppier, that is all there is to it!
I know I shouldn't.
quote a long one but I'm typing from my iPhone so forgive me. Style is subjective and in your post, you said "in my eyes". Hey that is your opinion. I love kindachi because the storyline is fantastic; unrealistic but who cares, it's a manga. To me, it's much better than konan. I don't know why you are rebutting my preference. You read your konan, I read mine. Peace

The rest is not in my eyes, it is very objective stuff - the quality is fucking terrible, it just manages to still have some charm while being terrible, low grade manga. You said it "wins the ass out of Conan", that is why I rebutted. Some parts of style are subjective, being able to see things like incoherent dialogue, a sloppy art style, and blatant imitation of other manga trends of the time is something that can be objectively seen. If you had read more manga, you would see that Kindaichi is just another City Hunter, but with even more broken up dialogue and even sloppier art.

Also to be clear, I am only talking manga. I have not seen the Kindaichi anime, and I despise the Conan movies, which have such a low grade quality and so many mistakes that it is terrible to watch any of them.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i dont watch alot of anime/read alot of manga but i very much enjoy the few that i indulge in.

Favorite: Fullmetal Alchemist
nuff said

current: currently i am reading the naruto manga, i liked it alot when it started, then got bored of it because of all the dam fillers and it would get dull, then it picked back up and i got into it again, rense and repeat. but since shippuden i havent missed a single week and at the moment i am loving it. the flash backs are killing me with how sad the theme is, but being the man i am i dont cry...........yep

i am also currently following bleach but it has been sucking ass the last couple months. good thing naruto is heated up right now

took a break and havent been back: alright so these are the animes i watched and took a break from, never came back but are on the list so i may pick them back up someday
-one piece
-YYK

Although I don't read manga and rarely watch much anime, DBZ is my favorite. The man against nature kind of theme like in 90s cartoons such as SatAM and Beast Machines is compelling; the characters are for the most part really interesting before the Buu arc. You could also call me a Funi DBZ fan; the voices for Goku and all the main series villains are perfect, and Faulconer's soundtrack blows the Japanese one out of the water. It's all one believeable and emotional package, unlike Kai. Code Geass is another good, high production anime that's not too long.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Unlike Kai? The original DBZ artificially lengthened the series by 3 times. By just cutting out filler, Kai is a third of the length and much more bearable to watch.

Unlike Kai? The original DBZ artificially lengthened the series by 3 times. By just cutting out filler, Kai is a third of the length and much more bearable to watch.

That's the full show. There's no rush through it. Even if there was, just skip some episodes. The comics are missing out.

The best anime ever is Code Geass, this is a fact. :P

Other goods are, One Piece, TTGL, FMA and Death Note. Death Note was awesome on beginning but in middle it went a bit boring.

The rest is not in my eyes, it is very objective stuff - the quality is fucking terrible, it just manages to still have some charm while being terrible, low grade manga. You said it "wins the ass out of Conan", that is why I rebutted. Some parts of style are subjective, being able to see things like incoherent dialogue, a sloppy art style, and blatant imitation of other manga trends of the time is something that can be objectively seen. If you had read more manga, you would see that Kindaichi is just another City Hunter, but with even more broken up dialogue and even sloppier art.
Ok i admit that I made a sweeping statement, and i should be specific. The stories are much better than Konan. I do agree that Konan had better art in the past, but they're comparable now. Personally, i read manga for the story and not the artwork.
And, i read a lot of manga, thank you very much.

I don't own any mango and I've only seen like a couple amines but I'd have to say one of my favorites was Lupin III. Yeah yeah I know the anime adaptation is slightly different from the manga (GOD FORBID THEY SLIGHTLY CHANGE SOMETHING) but whatever I still like it. Also, the theme song was catchy.

Also, everybody loves FLCL. It's short. It's colorful. It has OMGLOLZ SO RANDOM humor. It has pop culture references out the butt.
...and I like it too.

edit: also no one has mentioned Pokemon at all? That anime was the shit back in the 90's.

The second and third Lupin III series have really bad animation, due to bad imitations of Hanna Barbera style trends. Nothing to do with changes from the manga.

I just recently started to watch anime and my favorites are as follows:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist - Great plot line. You get attached to every one of the characters as if they actually exist, and it has a fair amount of bloody fight scenes as well as building on the plot. Brotherhood was better in my opinion, but I enjoyed both series a WHOLE lot. My favorite anime by far.

2. Death Note - The only anime that I've actually taken an interest in that doesn't include very much fighting and blood. It is a great mystery and police thriller that I will forever remember.

It's pretty much a tie between all other animes, but another one that sticks out is Gantz. It isn't very well known, but it has a great plot line and what makes it interesting is it points out all the flaws of mankind and it's consequences. It's very interesting and I strongly suggest it to anybody interested.

Some anime that comes into mind immediately:

Death Note- Already largely spoken for in this thread.
Samurai Champloo- Not enough love for this very stylish, high-quality piece. Makes Naruto look like a bitch.
GTO- Who wouldn't want Onizuka as a teacher? Just his facial expressions make this manga/anime worth looking into.
Durarara!!- Kind of a new guy on the block (2010) but it's plot is intense. HIGHLY recommended if you like the above two.

How the hell did I miss this?

1. Code Geass: Man, this is by far the most fast-paced, exhilarating, and thrilling anime I've watched. Basically a sequence of 49 cliffhangers separated by episodes. Intense.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga/Brotherhood): Probably the quintessential shounen anime in recent years. Fun to watch, and fun to read. And don't get me started on how badly the first anime pales in comparison.

3. Death Note: Good writing is good. For the first half anyways.

: Lucky Star, geddit? Anime South Park, if you ask me.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Bleach is the only anime I'm actually into right now. I'm not a big anime fan to begin with, considering the only other one I was ever really into was Samurai X, but Bleach is fucking awesome. So much so, I actually look forward to the spoilers from the actual manga every week. So yeah, whoever hasn't checked it out, do so.

Man the second half of Death Note really sucked. The way they were having Light get out of situations was on par with the ridiculousness of American daytime soaps...

2. Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga/Brotherhood): Probably the quintessential shounen anime in recent years. Fun to watch, and fun to read. And don't get me started on how badly the first anime pales in comparison.
I would like to get you started. The first anime gets worse as it goes, but it still beats the hell out of the new glossy art, poorly animated second series. The action and pacing is much better in the first one too before the degeneration, so Brotherhood has jack shit on the first one except a possibly better overall plot (but so what, I can get that in the manga, a much better work than the second anime).

Man the second half of Death Note really sucked. The way they were having Light get out of situations was on par with the ridiculousness of American daytime soaps...
Then how do you like the first half? That memory gambit was the most convoluted plan ever created. He predicted the actions of several characters despite hardly knowing them. His plans were always ridiculous.

Gonna list my top 4 (was gonna do 3, but there was another one I wanted to add, 5 is too hard):

4. Gundam Seed - In general, I've been a fan of the Gundam series, but Gundam Seed easily became my favourite. I mean I love mechas, and the plot just sealed the deal for me.

3. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's - When I first heard about this series, I thought it was a stupid concept (riding bikes while dueling o_O). However it turned out to be the best Yu-Gi-Oh! series thus far. The story is far darker than any of the previous series, and despite it being based on a game, they somehow manage to set the focus on the actual story. Also I'm a casual fan of the game, so it's what made me want to check this thing out. =P

2. One Piece - I can't believe how long it took me to actually get into this anime. I was put off at first because when I heard about it, it was about 200 episodes long. However now that I've seen it, I hope it never ends. One Piece has a great story, and a bunch of quirky and oddly designed characters that you want to know and see more of.

1. Hikaru No Go - This is my all time favourite anime. The fact that a story about an ancient board game lasts for 70+ episodes is astounding. There are some bits that some people may not like (i.e. 30 seconds of an episode could be laying down Go stones and not knowing what's going on), but again the story somehow maintains the focus. The characters are pretty cool, although you won't get to see much of them other than a certain few. The last few bits that I've mentioned may sound discouraging, they still don't take away from the fact that this anime is awesome.

I hope manga works too since I prefer it:

Currently reading:

Bleach (...)
Naruto (...)
One Piece (favourite one.. Oda is a genius imo)
Deadman Wonderland (good start but it kinda gets worse with each chapter)
Judge (loving the storyline even though there are only four chapters out afaik; very reminiscient of the Saw franchise but I dont really mind)
Kuroshitsuji (I think the art is wonderful and even though the first several chapters were pretty boring, it gets more and more interesting as it goes)
Mirai Nikki (coming to an end.. started out promising but not that interesting anymore)
Veritas (art annoys me sometimes but this is a decent shounen manhwa)

Finished:

Battle Royale (Probably the best manga I've ever read..so intense)
Death Note (yea, classic)
Doubt (same author as "Judge"; lots of "wtf" moments but that was interesting)
Eureka Seven (watched the anime first so was slightly surprised about the ending.. cool manga albeit nothing too spectacular)
Fullmetal Alchemist (anyone noticed that the main character barely fought or actually improved?; one of the better mangas I read though)

i need to read more

Death Note > everything else. At least the first half. Second half was a bit meh but oh well, first half was epic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)